Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Your memories of great Liverpool moments

Read 9215 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Your memories of great Liverpool moments
      Aug 21, 2010 01:12:09 pm
      So much negative stuff at the minute I thought this thread might distract us for a while and get us thinking of happier days!

Ill start with Stamford bridge 1986 May the 3rd. Lat game of the season at Chelsea. We needed a win to win the title failure would mean Everton retained the title  :o

Anyway step forward the king Kenny Dalglish. Beglin and Whelan keep the ball alive in the Chelsea box a flick on to Kenny who controls the ball beautifully on his chest before adding a calm finish.

Next thing I remember is bedlam behind the goal and me thinking to meself "I thought we were the away side"

History was completed a few weeks later doing the double beating Everton in the cup final 3 1.

Will never forget that moment at Chelsea tho
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 01:38:21 pm by MsGerrard »
      simm
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Re: Your memories of great Liverpool moments
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2010 01:34:20 pm
      F.A CUP victories. Those two late goals from Owen were incredible. We were totally outplayed by Arsenal, but Owen popped up with two late strikes to bring cup home.
      Gerrard's screamer against West Ham, what more can I say?
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 01:39:39 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Please don\'t use text language in posts. »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2010 01:41:50 pm
      1977 European Cup Final - First one, what a magnificent victory, seeing all the chequered red and white flags waving in the Italian sunshine on that balmy night in Rome is something I will never forget.

simm
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2010 01:47:57 pm
      The victory parade when we won Europen cup for the 5TH TIME, I have never seen so many people. All that red was such a beautiful sight
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2010 02:18:53 pm
      At Anfield in 1996 sitting in the Paddock againt Southampton, 1-1 about to blow for FT and then Steve McManaman dribbles the ball round Beasant and slots home for 2-1. Place errupts and Beasant picks the ball from his net.
      simm
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2010 02:32:24 pm
      McManaman's goal against Celtic
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2010 03:59:11 pm
      The victory parade when we won Europen cup for the 5TH TIME, I have never seen so many people. All that red was such a beautiful sight

Ooh were to start:

The sight of all the reds marching towards the Attaturk is something I'll definitely never forget.

John Barnes doing a jig of sheer emotion after setting up Rushies header in 89.

Barnes taking the piss out of four QPR defenders before slotting past future England keeper David Seaman.

Barnes taking the piss out of and torturing Nottingham Forest defenders as we tonked Forest 5-0.

Rockin Ronny coming on and smashing one past the binman in the Derby, after barndoor Barlow had about four chances (all blazed over) to give Everton the lead.

The good times of laughing at the mancs attempts to win the league, especially as we cost them the title in 92 their 26th year of trying and the Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life  song kicking off!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2010 08:42:16 pm
       Without a doubt winning the F.A.CUP for the first time in 1965,bringing the CUP home on the Sunday and playing Inter Milan on the following Wednesday.I can still vision Gerry Byrne and Gordon Milne parading the cup around the ground before the kick off and in my mind that has to be my most electrifying moment ever at Anfield.We took Inter apart that night and that to my mind was the start of our European successes which was to follow as most of us are too well aware of.That match alone is proof that it was a mistake to make the KOP seated,make it standing only again and the good times will roll again.I feel very lucky that I was around in the 60s,70s and 80s,to anyone who was not around then you do not know what you missed.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2010 12:37:08 am
      Big EMLYN,S  smile when he lifted that first one is something i will never forget. So much red it could have  been anfield .
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2010 12:41:14 am
      Waking up at 4am in Australia for Istanbul, and despite thinking i should just go to bed at half-time, something kept me watching. That belief that is instilled in Liverpool is what kept me up, and it was one of the best memories i have.

I can't wait until i get to a match to add to that memory.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2010 08:00:07 am
      Gerrard's goal against Olymyiakos to bring us back from the dead. I remember jumping up out off my chair and punching the light in the process.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2010 12:46:13 pm
      Being at Stamford Bridge when Xabi knocked in the winner against those Chav cu*ts.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2010 01:04:28 pm
      My first memory was the 96 Cup final. But thats not a great memory, cried my eyes out.

My first great memory was getting the home kit with the big white v-neck on it. My uncle brought it up for me and it was my first kit and i wouldn't take it off, think i wore it all day everyday except for school for a good year.

And probably the whole treble season under Houllier, was brilliant. The Worthington Cup final was great, first time we'd won something that i was old enough to remember.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2010 01:24:06 pm
      So many great moments! Istanbul, every cup won so I'll talk about that funny game in 2004, against the title holders....with Neil Mellor deep in injury time score from 25 yards from....nowhere!!

That was the first game back from injury for Steve, we played with Simana and Neil in front! We outplayed arsenal that day and concede an equaliser which wasn't deserved..it's going to be a draw...we all gutted but proud of the performance.........and then............out of the blue......last kick of the game.....You know the rest :D

We didn't win anything that day except 3 points..But I remember how crazy we all (and I'll include you lot here  ;D probably) went with that goal..
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2010 05:27:14 pm
      Barcalona in the Uefa semi for me. It was my first experience of a big European semi and I had stood in line all day to get a ticket. The atmosphere was amazing and to send Rivaldo and co ( sorry Pepe ) packing was fantastic. ' He's got no hair but we don't care...Gary Gary Mac !!!
      KopMan7
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2010 05:47:19 pm
      For me I can never forget that night in Instanbul.  But also, the second 4-3 against Newcastle was brilliant, mostly because I thought we'd thrown it away when it was at 3-3.  Stig's cross was beautiful!!
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #16: Aug 22, 2010 05:50:06 pm
      For me I can never forget that night in Instanbul.  But also, the second 4-3 against Newcastle was brilliant, mostly because I thought we'd thrown it away when it was at 3-3.  Stig's cross was beautiful!!

Yeah, great header from God! I remember a game against newcastl when we were 2-0 down. Hamann got sent off for them and Vegard Heggem tore them to pieces down our right side and we won 4-2!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #17: Aug 22, 2010 05:56:18 pm

F***ing David James!!

Should of been out of sight in that second half after tearing them a new one in the first half and then followed some suicidal defending and terrible keeping.

Although it still won't beat the first game the year previous, what a match that was!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Aug 22, 2010 05:57:54 pm
      Waking up at 4am in Australia for Istanbul, and despite thinking i should just go to bed at half-time, something kept me watching. That belief that is instilled in Liverpool is what kept me up, and it was one of the best memories i have.

I can't wait until i get to a match to add to that memory.

Exactly the same feeling. Except it was at 6am in Sydney :D
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #19: Aug 22, 2010 06:03:41 pm
      I remember istanbul, sitting there with my dad and going, this is going to be tough but i think we can get it.

When we came out and Gerrard scored that goal i was like this is it got to be, we then did the 3-3 and my dad nearly fainted. We went mad and then was going crazy in the peno's.

Watching us against Chelsea at Anfield where they were 6 minutes extra time which come from no where, everyone was on a knife edge.

Seeing the YNWA sung first hand is truely amazing, everytime i hear that song sung by 40,000 odd people chills go down my spine
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: Aug 22, 2010 06:25:34 pm
      There are just too many memories but two stand out for me the most.

Champions League 2005 and FA Cup 2006.

We won both cups in style.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Aug 22, 2010 06:33:26 pm
      Liverpool v Chelsea in the 2005 CL Final at Anfield. Never has 90 minutes ever felt so so long. The moment Luis Garcia scored Chelsea were all over us and then when I saw 6 added minutes I really feared. A few minutes later after the board was shown the ball dropped for Gudjohnsen a few yards out to comfortably slam it in and my heart was in my mouth and literally the I felt the tears were about to be released.....but he missed!! Absolutely incredible. It may have taken 10 years of my life, but boy was it worth it! Hearing the roar the moment that final whistle was blown and the following rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone as everyone in red went crazy and were in tears (as were those in blue) was mind blowing. Anfield's finest night in my opinion.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #22: Aug 22, 2010 07:29:30 pm
      1977 European Cup Final - First one, what a magnificent victory, seeing all the chequered red and white flags waving in the Italian sunshine on that balmy night in Rome is something I will never forget.
      Same match - Ray Clemence made a fantastic save to keep it 1-1 before Tommy Smith's header and Phil Neal's penalty won us the first of five European Cups.

Also against Moenchengladbach, only in 1973, UEFA Cup Final first leg (Anfield): the match was abandoned in the first half due to torrential rain. Shanks didn't pick John Toshack, but he saw enough to convince him the German defence was weak in the air.  When the match was played 24 hours later, Tosh caused havoc and we won 3-0. Good job we did: they were awesome in the second leg, which they won 2-0.

Quick Reply