Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Your memories of great Liverpool moments

Read 9321 times
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Re: Your memories of great Liverpool moments
      Reply #23: Aug 22, 2010 07:31:46 pm
      Im only 22 so my memories dont go too far back!
      There are so many, just to pick one- Olympikos & Stevie G, Chelsea 2005, FA Cup 2006, and of course Istanbul!

Its amazing how watching one football game can put you through a rollercoaster of emotions-

At half time- you would have thought someone died in my house!
      We usually get up, eat something or get a drink, chat about the game, but no one moved, heads in hands & no one said a word! I am not one to turn the channel over- win or lose!
      Then 3 goals in 6 minutes, i went from the brink of tears & depression to an excited mess, jumping around & screaming with my Dad & brothers- my mum wondering what all the fuss was about! (i am still trying to convert/educate her!)
      My whole body tensed during the penalties, we were breathing sighs of relief with every one- Jerzy Dudek became a hero in a matter of minutes!
      Then Gerrard lifting that beautiful cup put tears in my eyes- and seeing it again brings the exact same feelings!

The greatest footballing comeback of all time- and i witnessed it, went through it & celebrated it!

Just need to see Stevie lift No.19, and im done!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #24: Aug 22, 2010 09:38:50 pm
      Same match - Ray Clemence made a fantastic save to keep it 1-1 before Tommy Smith's header and Phil Neal's penalty won us the first of five European Cups.

Also against Moenchengladbach, only in 1973, UEFA Cup Final first leg (Anfield): the match was abandoned in the first half due to torrential rain. Shanks didn't pick John Toshack, but he saw enough to convince him the German defence was weak in the air.  When the match was played 24 hours later, Tosh caused havoc and we won 3-0. Good job we did: they were awesome in the second leg, which they won 2-0.

John Toshack is always scoring....can you hear the Kopites roaring.....Toshack Is Our King !!

St.Etienne in the quarter finals was a match to remember as well, the semi's against Zurich was such an anti-climax in comparasion, but going to Rome after we'd won the League and played in the Cup Final against the mancs which we should have won, was a season to remember, we were on top of the World and felt we were invincible, we went on to rule Europe and everyone was scared of us....those were the days eh.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,172 posts | 3388 
      Reply #25: Aug 22, 2010 11:13:23 pm
      4-1 at Old Trafford in 08/09. It's always sweet beating United in any shape or form but F***ing twatting them in their own back yard was something special. And Nando's 5 finger celebration was F***ing quality. Sheer F***ing quality.

4-0 against Arsenal in the treble winning season. This was meant to be the start of Arsenal's total football style with the likes of Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Henry. And we wiped the floor with them, Stevie's belter from the edge of the box was one of his best strikes that rarely gets mentioned.

Houllier's return against Roma. Was such a sentimental night. European nights are always special at Anfield, but that was something different. One of the greatest European nights I've been to. We have the memories of Inter 65, St Ettienne 77 and Chelsea 05, but Roma 2002 was extra special as well.

Both 4-3s over Newcastle were quality, couldn't write it to happen two years on the trot. Two completely different games as well, the first one was back and forth while the second was ours until we threw it away. Then of course Stan in 96 and God in 97 came up trumps for the Reds.

Gary Mc's last minute winner in the Derby was F***ing quality. Like the United game I mentioned, beating Everton in any way is something special but last minute at their sh*t hole ground was boss to watch. Can't help remembering seeing the reactions on the bench, something else that.

5-4 against Alaves, one of the best finals ever. And the You'll Never Walk Alone at the end, spine chilling. Loved it.

God sniffing the line against Everton, F***ing love that man. Drove them up the F***ing wall it did. Going back for a second time was so funny, seeing all those blue nose bitter cu*ts going spare when he did it.

A few there to mull over.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Aug 22, 2010 11:28:26 pm
      Some great ones there for sure Billy.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #27: Aug 23, 2010 03:04:10 am
      Another match that I always look back on with fondness is FC Basle v Liverpool back in 2002. Only 11 at the time but I remember the shock at being 3-0 down and being all over the place. We were so poor that you'd be forgiven that we were playing Barcelona and not Basle seeing as both their kits were similar! Sadly it'd be a game in which Stevie would rather forget as he was desperately affected by personal issues which saw the poor guy taken off at half time, something I didn't realise until much later on.

But then the second half came and we were an entirely different team. Murphy does brilliantly to score from the edge of the area then Smicer scored that all important second goal (of course he'd do it again 3 years later but in far more dramatic surroundings of course!). Finally Owen scored a rebounded penalty and it was 3-3. Sure it may have stayed that way and we may have exited the Champions League but it was a great match and I was pleased for the Basle fans for what was arguably their finest ever moment in history (and give them credit - their fans were amazing) even if it wasn't for us. But more importantly that comeback, I feel, would prove a crucial incentive to many of those players who would face the same situation a couple of seasons later against Olympiakos at the same stage and of course AC Milan where we had to score at least 3 on both occasions. I honestly felt it proved to be a fantastic mental note for a lot of those players who would feature 2 seasons later - so in the end a lot of good came out of that game.
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2010 03:10:13 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 23, 2010 12:55:15 pm
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #29: Aug 23, 2010 02:25:32 pm
      May not be the biggest agme and most memorable moment for LFC fans, but it is something that will always stick in my mind.

I can remember watching the Fulham v Liverpool match on Setanta Sport, 2 seasons ago. We ended up winning 3-2 after a Torres beaut in the last minute. I am a bit patchy about the facts. Anyway, i just remember going F***ing mental. Ringing all me Ma*c mates singing down the phone "We're gunna win the league! We're gunna win the league!". I felt on top of the world. I was soon brought down when we didn't, infact, win the league :'(.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #30: Aug 23, 2010 02:31:21 pm
      May not be the biggest agme and most memorable moment for LFC fans, but it is something that will always stick in my mind.

I can remember watching the Fulham v Liverpool match on Setanta Sport, 2 seasons ago. We ended up winning 3-2 after a Torres beaut in the last minute. I am a bit patchy about the facts. Anyway, I just remember going f**king mental. Ringing all me Ma*c mates singing down the phone "We're gunna win the league! We're gunna win the league!". I felt on top of the world. I was soon brought down when we didn't, infact, win the league :'(.

Can't remember that one. We have drawn 0-0 with fulham the last 2 seasons? I remember us beating pompey 3-2 away and Torres scoring a headed winner in the last minute.

Will look this one up!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #31: Aug 23, 2010 02:34:34 pm
      Man nited
      Can't remember that one. We have drawn 0-0 with fulham the last 2 seasons? I remember us beating pompey 3-2 away and Torres scoring a headed winner in the last minute.

Will look this one up!

We beat them 1-0 with an injury time Yossi winner, the season before last...
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #32: Aug 23, 2010 02:35:30 pm
      Man United 1-4 Liverpool - Day before my birthday watching it in a pub full of Mancs, and by the end of the game I was near tears - best Liverpool display in years.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #33: Aug 23, 2010 02:39:10 pm
      Man United 1-4 Liverpool - Day before my birthday watching it in a pub full of Mancs, and by the end of the game I was near tears - best Liverpool display in years.

Yeah, was watching it in the pub, mostly us reds in. Then when manure scored the penalty all the mancs started coming in happy as larry mocking us. Then Nando, Stevie, Fab and the Doss well and truely shoved it right up em. We gave them a good send off as they trudged out just after the Doss made it 4 ;D

Thing was though, they were all the same pric*ks who walked in at half time during the 2005 cl final. They all wanted to drink our champaigne that we had set up on the pool table. We threw the fu**ers out that night as well!

Altogether now as they left....... ' WHERES YOUR EUROPEAN CUP......WHERES YOUR EURO, WHERES YOUR EURO WHERES YOUR EUROPEAN CUP??? ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Aug 23, 2010 03:19:40 pm

I can remember watching the Fulham v Liverpool match on Setanta Sport, 2 seasons ago. We ended up winning 3-2 after a Torres beaut in the last minute. I am a bit patchy about the facts. Anyway, I just remember going f**king mental. Ringing all me Ma*c mates singing down the phone "We're gunna win the league! We're gunna win the league!". I felt on top of the world. I was soon brought down when we didn't, infact, win the league :'(.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're talking about the match against Tony Adam's Portsmouth. But the one where we did win 1-0 at Fulham with a last minute winner thanks to Yossi Benayoun was F***ing unreal. I went absolutely nuts! I actually scared my dog I was that overjoyed when it happened. We didn't win the league but boy it felt good at the time!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #35: Aug 23, 2010 03:26:32 pm
      Yeah I'm pretty sure you're talking about the match against Tony Adam's Portsmouth. But the one where we did win 1-0 at Fulham with a last minute winner thanks to Yossi Benayoun was f**king unreal. I went absolutely nuts! I actually scared my dog I was that overjoyed when it happened. We didn't win the league but boy it felt good at the time!

When that goal went in I really believed we were going to win it. Next day manure were 2-1 at home to villa with 6 minutes left, but after 10 minutes of slergie time won 3-2.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Aug 23, 2010 04:17:27 pm
      I just came on here to say the exact same thing Frankly, Mr Shankly. You took my moment! ;)
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #37: Aug 23, 2010 05:27:30 pm
      I might be alone in this one but the Champions League quarter final against Chelsea in 08/09. Lost the first leg 3-1 at Anfield after Nando put us ahead after 16 mins ,i think, we were hammered in the first leg. But the feeling after it wasn't the same as other defeats, it was accepted but there was still an amazing hope for the second leg.

Going into the second leg, Gerrard was pulled out just before the match but there was still hope. It was just before the 20th Hillsborough anniversary and 2 first half goals from an Aurelio free kick and an Alonso penalty turned the tie on its head. Chelsea scored 2 unanswered in the second half. Tie over? No. Lucas scored. Chelsea scored again. Surely over, no! Kuyt late on. Lampard eventually finished the scoring and it was finally finished.

I remember being so proud of the lads. The next day Oliver Holt wrote an article on the match, but it wasn't about Chelsea's progression, it was titled, "A fitting tribute to the 96". I still have that paper.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Aug 23, 2010 07:02:08 pm
      I remember that, Kopite.

Watching the service, the players were given a rapturous applause and no one cared about the result too much. So much pride. Loved it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 938 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Aug 23, 2010 07:04:40 pm
      I alway remember getting into the Kop against St Ettiene and the doors closing, what a game Faircloughs goal late on was brilliant
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,495 posts | 8677 
      Reply #40: Aug 23, 2010 07:07:27 pm
      First European game 3-0 v Auxerre in front of around 24,000 at Anfield.

Mike Marsh and a Jan Molby pen levelling it up early on, then Mark Everton Walters secured the victory late in the second half, first time we'd ever come back from a 2-0 defeat in the first leg!!

And that 24,000 made some unbelievable noise that night.
      pedro43
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 23, 2010 07:23:14 pm
      Mine was our home win against Southhampton it was the day we won promotion after eleven years of trying.The crowd were ina good natured frenzy.Its also the only time ive been on the pitch.THANKS TO SHANKS
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,172 posts | 3388 
      Reply #42: Aug 24, 2010 01:29:24 pm
      Liverpool v Fulham, Igor Biscan's goal. Was a F***ing peach and poor Igor didn't know what to do. Think the match ended 4-2 to us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,495 posts | 8677 
      Reply #43: Aug 30, 2010 08:58:02 pm
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Aug 30, 2010 09:10:50 pm
      Running up and down the living room with me dad after Collymore scored the winner in what was at that point the greatest game of football ever, 4-3 against Newcastle.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,495 posts | 8677 
      Reply #45: Aug 30, 2010 09:23:27 pm
      Running up and down the living room with me dad after Collymore scored the winner in what was at that point the greatest game of football ever, 4-3 against Newcastle.

8)

In the paddock that night right next to the Geordies. Very funny!!

Quick Reply