Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Will signing a striker address our problems

Read 8530 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Will signing a striker address our problems
      Reply #46: Sep 01, 2010 07:22:06 pm
      Jovanovic's primary position IS a striker. Not sure why Roy is giving so much time up front to Ngog who looks woefully out of his depth. Maybe he is to Roy what Lucas was to Rafa...
      N'Gog has scored goals, and looks hungry for more. I think he will do ok this season, he's still learning the trade, but already he has shown that he has learned from watching Torres. He will only improve as the season goes on.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #47: Sep 01, 2010 07:25:49 pm
      Jovanovic's primary position IS a striker. Not sure why Roy is giving so much time up front to Ngog who looks woefully out of his depth. Maybe he is to Roy what Lucas was to Rafa...

I don't think I've ever seen Jovanovic play as a lone striker though (he might well have but not in the 10 odd games I watched of him during his time at Standard).  If Hodgson works with him, I could see Jovanovic using his physical strength to good effect in a lone striker role but when he plays for Serbia, they've given him the Kuyt treatment (put him out on the left wing).  

I think we was bought in for some extra squad depth more than anything.  Another option up front, another option to play on the left, if he does well could make the position his own sort of deal.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #48: Sep 01, 2010 07:30:18 pm
      Jovanovic isn't an out and striker, at Standard he was playing more as a left winger/left forward than a striker, Mbokani was their main striker.  And for Serbia he plays as a left winger/left midfielder, at least he did this World Cup and I believe before that too.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #49: Sep 01, 2010 07:37:13 pm
      Jovanovic isn't an out and striker, at Standard he was playing more as a left winger/left forward than a striker, Mbokani was their main striker.  And for Serbia he plays as a left winger/left midfielder, at least he did this World Cup and I believe before that too.

Looked like it was the same sort of deal/similar to Babel.  He was the left sided player in the front three.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #50: Sep 01, 2010 07:41:24 pm
      Looked like it was the same sort of deal/similar to Babel.  He was the left sided player in the front three.
      Yeah, that's technically and traditionally what a winger is though, like in a 4-3-3 system, playing just as advanced on the forward line as the striker but wide. It's just that in modern top football they often play a bit less advanced and also get defensive responsibilities, more an attacking midfielder role, especially when they're not good enough to get a free role.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010 07:47:21 pm by Dexter »
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #51: Sep 01, 2010 07:49:56 pm
      Yeah, that's technically and traditionally what a winger is though, like in a 4-3-3 system, playing just as advanced as the striker but wide. It's just that in modern top football they often play a bit less advanced and also get defensive responsibilities, especially when they're not good enough to get a free role.

It seemed he was a bit more of an inside forward, cutting inside and all that rather than staying wide like a traditional winger.  I remember watching him and saying we'd just scored ourself a left footed Kuyt but faster, stronger and with better ball control but completely sucked in comparison defensively.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #52: Sep 01, 2010 07:57:08 pm
      Jovanovic you mean? Yeah, strangely he does cut inside alot while he is left footed.  Which is kind of a shame, we can use some width on our wings. He isn't a traditional winger no, he doesn't have the real speed, not that he's slow. But he isn't a striker either. Inside forward is probably what he should be called. It's odd though, usually inside forward are players who cut inside because thats where their good leg is.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #53: Sep 01, 2010 08:06:48 pm
      Jovanovic you mean? Yeah, strangely he does cut inside alot while he is left footed.  Which is kind of a shame, we can use some width on our wings. He isn't a traditional winger no, he doesn't have the real speed, not that he's slow. But he isn't a striker either. Inside forward is probably what he should be called. It's odd though, usually inside forward are players who cut inside because thats where their good leg is.

Yeah you're right, I think Jovanovic is actually fast enough to be a winger, problem is he doesn't maintain that speed while he's on the ball - I'd say he's probably as quick as Torres.

edit: Both Babel and Jova cut inside ;)
      Barlow23
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      • Get the yanks out !!
      Reply #54: Sep 02, 2010 01:28:22 am
       :mad: The team i'd start is 4321 ..Gk reina DL konchesky DR Johnson DC carragher DC Agger/skrtel Cdm Lucas Cdm poulsen Cm gerrard SS kuyt SS Joe Cole CF torres and when torres isn't fit just move kuyt upfront and put babel on in the position just behind him next to gerrard should get more goals that way :) 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Sep 02, 2010 10:00:44 am
      No Raul for you then. . .

Quick Reply