Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Is LFC still a big club?

Read 8502 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Is LFC still a big club?
      Aug 25, 2010 03:33:36 pm
      With the recent going on's regarding our players, namely Masch and Kuyt, plus the hammering of us by Citeh on Monday evening, it got me thinking: Is LFC still regarded a big club?

There is no doubt that we have a great worldwide fan base. The fact that the club can play pre-season friendlies in all the neck of the woods and still attract thousands of people must stand for something. We also have a history and heritage that very few clubs can compare too. What other club has as dedicated supporters as ours, travelling for years to all sorts of places in Europe, despite a lack of quality transport? Plus, we could probably fill Anfield a hundred times over each week if we were allowed. And who could forget about are founding fathers who have put the club  on the map, namely Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard and Rafa. We also have a great club song in You’ll Never Walk Alone, that is recognised and appreciated across the world, even by other clubs supporters.  But, in today’s modern football, does all this count for anything, or are we in a decline?

Let’s look at the facts. The club is still laboured by a bunch of Yanks tw*ts who neither care about running the club correctly nor could they even do it if they tried. Now I know a lot of clubs are currently in debt but the amount owed to bankers of the RBS, thanks to our cowboys, is inexplicable. Until our owners have been got rid of, which could be sooner rather than later, i fear the club will slip even further.

Next up, let’s look at the players we possess. There is no doubt we have some world-class players. You look at the likes of Reina, Agger, Carra, Johnson, Skrtel, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Cole, Torres etc. This proves that we still have a lot of quality in our team. Recently, however, we are hearing a lot about our players possibly leaving. Whether it is Gerrard to Real Madrid, Torres to Chelsea or Citeh or Masch and Kuyt to Inter. This leads me to see that, in some respects, we can't compete with other clubs like we once used to be able to. Then you look at the players we are being linked to. Admittingly, we did bring in some very good players over the summer, e.g. Cole and Jovanovic, but when you look at some of the players we are rumoured to be interested in, namely Koncheskey and Carlton Cole, it starts to worry me.

Then you also have the major stumbling block. We have not won the league since 1990. This entails that since that point, we have not been the best team in the land. We may have won the European Cup in 2005, although we did so with a lot of luck and a very astute manager. For me, you can’t move on as a club until you have achieved your main targets. For years, that has been to win the league and yet we have failed to do so on so many occasions. Then you look at last season. I know we didn’t have a great year for a number of reasons but we eventually finished a mediocre 7th. At the end of the day, the other teams around us are only getting stronger and yet we don’t seem to be moving on. Should we be thinking like a smaller club and expect to be getting beaten by the likes of ManUre, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelski or Citeh?
      I know some people may think I am getting carried away. I probably am. I am not saying this just as we were thrashed by Citeh the other day. It is something I have thought about for a while. I am interested in everyone’s views.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Re: Is LFC still a big club?
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2010 03:37:51 pm
      Of course we are still a big club mate, one of the biggest in the world. This thread will be locked shortly I suspect. No club in the world is like ours. People still turn down CL football to join us.

Once the ownership is sorted we can move forward again.

WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE A BIG CLUB!

YNWA!
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2010 03:39:18 pm
      Of course we are still a big club mate, one of the biggest in the world. This thread will be locked shortly I suspect. No club in the world is like ours. People still turn down CL football to join us.

YNWA!

I know in our eyes we are, but to others outside the club, I just wondered whether we would still be considered a big club. If its locked, fair play.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2010 03:39:28 pm
      Yes.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2010 03:40:37 pm
      The biggest.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2010 03:41:20 pm
      Guess thats that answered then.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2010 03:41:34 pm
      May I draw your attention to the are we in decline thread. In this forum somewhere.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2010 03:42:47 pm
      To the fans, the biggest.

To supporters in general, a big club who's fortune is on the wane.

To the media, a pain in the arse, why can't they be bankrupted already...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2010 03:42:56 pm
      Oh and to answer the topic. You better believe it baby!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2010 03:43:32 pm
      I know in our eyes we are, but to others outside the club, I just wondered whether we would still be considered a big club. If its locked, fair play.

People are jealous of our club, our traditions and of our success over the years. They are still trying to catch up. I bet if you ask supporters all over the world to name an English team the majority of them would say Liverpool.

Do not lose faith mate. We are in a storm at the moment. But we will re-emerge! We will reach the golden sky again!
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010 04:59:58 pm by MsGerrard »
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #10: Aug 25, 2010 03:44:28 pm
      To the fans, the biggest.

To supporters in general, a big club who's fortune is on the wane.

The media would love to see our demise!
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #11: Aug 25, 2010 03:44:37 pm
      Do not lose faith mate. We are in a storm at the moment. But we will re-emerge! We will reach the golden sky again!

Nice ;D.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2010 04:03:07 pm
      We like to think so, although I'm not sure many outside of our support see us a big side anymore.

And looking at our transfers this summer would suggest we are no longer sitting at the top table.

And yet to think three or four years ago we were rated as the best team in Europe.

Yep gettign rid of that spanish fella was a great decision wasn't it Chrissie?

Thank you again Tom and George for F***ing up the most successful team in this country.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Aug 25, 2010 04:16:43 pm
      2008 was when we were ranked number 1 in Europe. The rot was only setting in then. Thanks yank for f*cking us up. What a difference they have made. Im off to have a beer and watch my Champions League DVD from istanbul. Whos that Rafa guy on the cover he looks like a class manager. . Oh wait :(
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010 04:47:25 pm by racerx34 »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Aug 25, 2010 04:41:07 pm
      Always

None better or ever will be.

2 yanks doing what there doing and 1 or 2 players wanting out does not change a thing about what this club is and always will be.

This club has gone through magic times and tragic times and will do again but its the people who really make the difference to a club and true Liverpool fans are unique no doubt about it. And its those fans that mean this club will always be great and always be a big club, the biggest
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #15: Aug 25, 2010 04:44:37 pm
      Form is temporary, class is permanent.
      Yes we are a big club.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Aug 25, 2010 05:01:38 pm
      We're still the most successful club in England.

I think that means we're 'big', right?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Aug 25, 2010 05:05:45 pm
      We've gone through some very rough times in the past, the glory years will return eventually, we just have to be very patient I'm afraid.

We are still an absolutely massive club, we're just going through a blip, all be it, a rather large one at the moment.
      mulki
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | -2 
      • You"ll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Aug 25, 2010 05:18:50 pm
      "I bet if you ask supporters all over the world to name an English team the majority of them would say Liverpool."

Love this one :)

Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 25, 2010 05:22:03 pm
      Yes. And I'll give you three reasons:
      (1) History
      (2) Have regularly finished in the Top 4 and have done as well, if not better in the Champions League than those who have won the title in recent years
      (3) Huge global fanbase and unique relationship with supporters and the city.  There is definately a Liverpool Way.

Have we declined under the current owners, yes?  Can we turn things around, yes but (a) it will take time; and (b) we will remain stagnant until the owners change and investment is brought in and even then, we will be playing catch up to what our competititors have had at their disposal year on end.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #20: Aug 25, 2010 05:35:47 pm
      Are we a wealthy club? NO (at the moment)
      Are we known worldwide? YES
      Do we have a massive fanbase? YES
      Do we have a proud and successful history? YES
      Are we the most successful club in English football history? YES
      Are we Liverpool Football Club? YES !!!!!!!

No one can match that.
      YNWA

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Aug 25, 2010 05:40:28 pm
      The fans are the best while the Americans are here we are a joke of a club and we are heading only in one direction, down.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 25, 2010 05:47:38 pm
      Concerning last season, it was a one off, Im sure of this, the last game like I said in an other thread ANY team would have struggled by playing Arsenal home and City away for starters..

As if we are regarded as a big club by other teams, we are, Mancini admitted that beating a big club like Liverpool was a great performance by City.

And let's imagine that, for the sake of the argument, we are not seeing as a big club anymore by others..Why should we care?? WE know who we are and where are coming from, (unless a bunch of other premier league teams) I couldn't care less what others fans think about Liverpool FC what matters to me is what other fellow supporters think.

Also, if other clubs don't see us as a big club no more, well it's at their own risks and that would probably play in our favor.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2010 05:50:23 pm
      yes. Simple
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2010 05:57:48 pm
      Being a Red brings with it the pressure of being the BEST.Look at your mates (especially if like me you no longer live in Liverpool)They "yer mates" chelski,mancs etc seem to find us fair game atm.Due mainly to us not having won the PL (YET).
      One mate a Sheffied Utd fan comes on here regularly as a guest (likes LFC) and always comments to me "how difficult it is to believe the way we sometimes slaugter certain players after a defeat" when as like him supporting a NOT so successful team is less likely.I tell him its because OUR expectations are obviously so much higher.
      To sum up!Other top teams supporters don't see us as too much of a threat these days.
      NB:Mentioning the plastic flags (on all the seats) seems to shut most chelski fans up.

YNWA.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2010 06:04:20 pm
      We are a big club.

Only those who are envious of us see us as the opposite ;)
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2010 06:06:11 pm
      To answer the thread title question, have Livingston ever been a big club? Regardless the answer is still no.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2010 06:17:59 pm

Which proves that we are a massive club. The biggest in England.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2010 06:25:05 pm
      Does the bear sh*t in the woods
      mike
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 25, 2010 07:02:40 pm
      I am from Malaysia. In south east Asia, Liverpool is the biggest club in the world. We are as fanatical as all the Liverpool fans in the world. No doubt, we will remain as the biggest club. Temporary setbacks should not be used to judge our standing.

YWNA
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #30: Aug 25, 2010 07:09:36 pm
      Of course we F***ing are!

Just because our tw*t owners are draggng us backwards- doesnt change anything about our club apart from the finances!
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2010 07:26:04 pm
      To right we are ,but at the moment we are like the coach in the Italian job just hanging on the edge of the cliff ,do we survive and go on to future riches or do we go over the edge and into oblivion,only time will tell.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #32: Aug 25, 2010 07:39:39 pm
      Of course we are that is a no brainer.
      Having a billionaire owner just means you have a billionaire owner and you can offer silly money for players.
      Chelsea did it and city are doing it but when they have won 5 European cups they can consider themsleves in our company as one of the worlds greatest clubs.
      This is a difficult time for our club but things go in cycles and we will be up challenging for silverware this season and next.
      Put a billionaire in ownership of our club and its game over for everyone else because the best players will come no doubt about that.
      This combination is our greatest rivals biggest fear which is why we are getting a kicking from biased commentators.
      But beware of Liverpool with money and that will happen in time.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #33: Aug 25, 2010 08:09:29 pm
      We are a sleeping giant ! we have the best fans in the world,a history to be very proud of, and probably the most knowledegable fanbase around ,so yes we are still a big club but with little funds ,when the funds increase to level the odds with Chelsea and other blank cheque -book clubs just watch us go !
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Aug 25, 2010 08:15:25 pm
      We are big club by name only at the moment we are being run like a league 2 side.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2010 08:20:13 pm
      With the recent going on's regarding our players, namely Masch and Kuyt, plus the hammering of us by Citeh on Monday evening, it got me thinking: Is LFC still regarded a big club?

There is no doubt that we have a great worldwide fan base. The fact that the club can play pre-season friendlies in all the neck of the woods and still attract thousands of people must stand for something. We also have a history and heritage that very few clubs can compare too. What other club has as dedicated supporters as ours, travelling for years to all sorts of places in Europe, despite a lack of quality transport? Plus, we could probably fill Anfield a hundred times over each week if we were allowed. And who could forget about are founding fathers who have put the club  on the map, namely Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard and Rafa. We also have a great club song in You’ll Never Walk Alone, that is recognised and appreciated across the world, even by other clubs supporters.  But, in today’s modern football, does all this count for anything, or are we in a decline?

Let’s look at the facts. The club is still laboured by a bunch of Yanks tw*ts who neither care about running the club correctly nor could they even do it if they tried. Now I know a lot of clubs are currently in debt but the amount owed to bankers of the RBS, thanks to our cowboys, is inexplicable. Until our owners have been got rid of, which could be sooner rather than later, i fear the club will slip even further.

Next up, let’s look at the players we possess. There is no doubt we have some world-class players. You look at the likes of Reina, Agger, Carra, Johnson, Skrtel, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Cole, Torres etc. This proves that we still have a lot of quality in our team. Recently, however, we are hearing a lot about our players possibly leaving. Whether it is Gerrard to Real Madrid, Torres to Chelsea or Citeh or Masch and Kuyt to Inter. This leads me to see that, in some respects, we can't compete with other clubs like we once used to be able to. Then you look at the players we are being linked to. Admittingly, we did bring in some very good players over the summer, e.g. Cole and Jovanovic, but when you look at some of the players we are rumoured to be interested in, namely Koncheskey and Carlton Cole, it starts to worry me.

Then you also have the major stumbling block. We have not won the league since 1990. This entails that since that point, we have not been the best team in the land. We may have won the European Cup in 2005, although we did so with a lot of luck and a very astute manager. For me, you can’t move on as a club until you have achieved your main targets. For years, that has been to win the league and yet we have failed to do so on so many occasions. Then you look at last season. I know we didn’t have a great year for a number of reasons but we eventually finished a mediocre 7th. At the end of the day, the other teams around us are only getting stronger and yet we don’t seem to be moving on. Should we be thinking like a smaller club and expect to be getting beaten by the likes of ManUre, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelski or Citeh?
      I know some people may think I am getting carried away. I probably am. I am not saying this just as we were thrashed by Citeh the other day. It is something I have thought about for a while. I am interested in everyone’s views.

In terms of History yes. In terms of the present day activity no. You only have to look at the players we are buying and selling to realise this. I'm sorry if this isn't to anyones taste. But, it's the reality of the situation. We were losing out on players to mid table teams last season. Until those Yanks have gone we will never be a big club. Forrest won back to back European cups. It didn't stop them going down. I know the fans bases are completely different. But, if the slide continues and big players move on. What reason would our global support have to support us? I guarantee a few seasons of trying to keep our heads above water will see us slide into even deeper brown stuff.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #36: Aug 25, 2010 09:41:12 pm
      We are defo a big club when it comes to history and following but at the moment the people with knowledge of the game whether it be fans,players or pundits know that we cant seriously challenge in the big competitions. We are aiming just for CL places this year and any cup would be a massive unexpected bonus. SUre weve left so many names at home for the trabsonzor away match it shows where our priority lies.

Players will still come for the history and possibility of our growth but realistically we're a club in transition that needs several new players in the starting line up, a whole new bench, needs to get back to CL, needs a new stadium, new owners and whose boss is just an experienced journeyman.

But the potential here is massive and football is cyclical we will be back on top once the major issues above are sorted out.
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #37: Aug 25, 2010 09:54:46 pm
      I am from Turkey and i don't care Liverpool is a big club or not at all.... Does it mean you are losing interest globally?

sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2010 10:02:10 pm
      Football in England is like squirrels are running all the way to me while watching the game on tv... I get tired and change the channel... You take things too serious... You need to raise players with brain like Romanian Hagi for example. Most of talented internationals lose their soul when they move to England because of squirreling mentality. ex Galatasaray player Tugay was successful in the  Premier league but he still turned to a robot...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2010 10:05:55 pm
      Bu zayıflamış Liverpool takımı bile, Trabzonspor uzak geçmiş akşam yemeği gibi süpürüldü olacak. Ve ben bu konuda bir kadeh rakı olur.
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2010 10:08:27 pm
      Your Turkish is horrible.... Did you translate it by Google?.. it sucks like football in England..
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2010 10:11:19 pm
      but still thanks for your effort... Turkish is a an old and very interesting language grammatically...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:02 pm
      but still thanks for your effort... Turkish is a an old and very interesting language grammatically...

Your english isn't great, but I was kind enough to not mention it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:37 pm
      Get a life Trabz. There is enough negativity on this forum without some no mates from another club coming in to wind us up. I have no problem with other fans coming on here but you and other wind up merchants are nothing but pathetic
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #44: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:43 pm
      Football in England is like squirrels are running all the way to me while watching the game on tv... I get tired and change the channel... You take things too serious... You need to raise players with brain like Romanian Hagi for example. Most of talented internationals lose their soul when they move to England because of squirreling mentality. ex Galatasaray player Tugay was successful in the  Premier league but he still turned to a robot...

?? ???
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #45: Aug 25, 2010 10:16:48 pm
      Your english isn't great, but I was kind enough to not mention it.

sorry for my rude reply... I said thank you later...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #46: Aug 25, 2010 10:23:17 pm

Although he may have a point.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Aug 25, 2010 10:28:12 pm
      I know the Premier League teams need to develop the players more technically. The youth system we have was changed last year with that being one of the aims. We may not be the force we were this year but I can only hope we do develop our youth. He may have a point. . . But he is still an @rse
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #48: Aug 25, 2010 10:40:31 pm
      Actually it is changing in Turkey too... Previously kids were learning playing football on the street. Those kids have always have individuality and personal skills. Thats why Tugay was so good with the ball. But today football schools are teaching systematically which probably kills creative side of a young player. Education sucks in short probably.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #49: Aug 25, 2010 10:57:04 pm

Are you Eric Cantona, seagulls following the boat and all that?
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #50: Aug 25, 2010 11:23:17 pm
      Never a question to ask. No other club in England can match our history.

What has eluded the club for 20 years took some devils 27 years to achieve and attain.

The problem with the Premiership Clubs and Ownerships points to the lack of business sense by the monitoring group, the FA, because, had the guidelines for sale of clubs been thought through, a club like Liverpool FC will not be in this situation.

Just because we have a lot of Flash-in-the-pan clubs making waves right now should never cause anyone to doubt the value and
      importance of Liverpool FC.

Still the biggest club.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #51: Aug 25, 2010 11:41:44 pm
      Balls deep yea we are
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #52: Aug 25, 2010 11:45:39 pm
      We're still the most successful club in England.

I think that means we're 'big', right?
      Yes We are big (if not the biggest right now) but potentially the biggest. Get the stadium done and we become a powerhouse. But this period of decline as has been mentioned in another post is IMO cyclical as no one can stay at the top forever, because big players cannot go play on indefinitely, they do need replacing and so how early we get back to the top of the heap depends on the vision of a single capable manager and a Board to back him. I don't know whether Roy is the man (I hope he is) but the board right now is plain stupid. SO guys that's it to me- Liverpool is the biggest, most successful, most famous, Most beautiful, Most Sexy, Most honourable. most charismatic, Most dramatic, Most attractive.....etc. Team in England. And if anyone tries to dispute this fact then the person is a fool, and no temporary blip in fortunes can change the long history of LFC.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #53: Aug 26, 2010 12:18:20 am
      I am from Turkey and i don't care Liverpool is a big club or not at all....

Simple, don't post in here then as you've got no interest in Liverpool football club at all, in fact, why are you even on here?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #54: Aug 26, 2010 12:54:28 am
      Liverpool FC is still a big club and it always will be to true reds. But we're a big empty club these days. And it certainly doesn't look good to the outsiders. Don't kid yourself it does.

The heart is slowly being pumped dry of it's blood. The sense is being pounded out of clubs head. And the strength and vocalness is on the decrease.

The longer people feed the owners' debt. The smaller you make our club.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #55: Aug 26, 2010 03:08:06 am
      WE'VE GROWN UP WITH LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB BEING THE TOP DOGS, THANKS TO 40 YEARS OF GLORY UNDER SHANKS, BOB, JOE, KENNY, HOULLIER AND RAFA.

NOW WE ARE ON THE DOWNWARDS SPIRAL BACK TO WHERE SHANKS TOOK US FROM BACK IN 1959, ITS BEEN A HELL OF A RIDE!!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #56: Aug 26, 2010 04:16:27 am
      I'm yet read all posts but assumed you Sample mate started support this club in the glory age (less than 40 years), that's same to me. I just follow Liverpool FC in the glory of '90 (Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Aldridge,...). If so I understand what's your point because it's again same with my one. But at this time we better look back beyond our glory age then we can find that the club already having many difficult time (maybe different to today one), at least it can help us to believe our belove club can survive.

If anything that made me so sad, is, our tremendous fans who whole heart love this club but this club is absolutely belong to a F***ing owners who are not a fan. It's cause me like crazy when think that I can do nothing but wait and see what happen to this club.

It's too much depressive things in last few years, I hope some fans here who live in the day father Shankly come in and lift our club from dark age please tell us your sons how the club fight on that days, I believe it can help to call up for togetherness of every Liverpool fans around the world.

We must start to believe our club can survive  and find the way to begin another glory in very near future.

Just hope so.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #57: Aug 26, 2010 08:26:53 am

YNWA!

This !

YNWA!
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #58: Aug 26, 2010 08:36:23 am
      Liverpool are just going through a pretty bad storm at the moment,  but   at the end of the storm................. :kop5cf8koxp6:   :clap:   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #59: Aug 26, 2010 08:46:18 am
      Of course we are a big club! It is true that currently we can hardly challenge the biggest of the day, but there is something special about our club. I guess there are not so many clubs selling merchandise all over the world no matter they have not won their national championship for 20 years!

IMO it is the history, the atmosphere, the fans that distinguish us apart. We are loyal to the club, to the players and to the managers. When that changes ( and I hope it never does ) we are no longer going to be a special club.

And in conclusion - we still needed success to stay a great club. More or less we are feeding from our history, while at the same time others are making theirs. So I hope we will challenge the best again very soon.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #60: Aug 26, 2010 08:46:24 am
      Money doesn't make you big, it just makes you rich!

Anyway we are huge. I was watching the brilliantly well written soap called Neighbours a few days ago with my daughter and she spotted a Liverpool scarf hanging down from the window in one of the bedrooms. Now that is proof of how big we are. A Liverpool FC scarf appears in Neighbours!
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #61: Aug 26, 2010 10:23:48 am
      ofcourse we are a big club.There is no doubt about it
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Aug 26, 2010 10:43:04 am
      Is Liverpool a big club? Yes. Always will be a big club thanks to our history.

Are we a top club? No. Not by a far stretch. We don't have a great squad, we don't have a great manager, we don't have a great pair of owners (understatement of the F***ing year, that!), we don't have a big stadium, we have hundreds of millions in debt and we're looking at Fulham numpties to fill voids in our squad. Tell me which other 'top' club is doing that?

If you were a player in the top bracket of world football and you had a choice between Liverpool or Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Inter, or even Bayern, would you choose Liverpool given the sh*te we're under? You'd be F***ing mad to do so. And that highlights our status.

Our atmosphere is being outdone by funerals across the world, our team is playing as consistent as a Sunday league side and the men at the top are stripping the club of it's best players one at a time.

We're not as big as we one were, but the Liverbird will continue to fly regardless.

Seems F***ing negative, but what exactly is there to be positive about off the field anymore?
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #63: Aug 26, 2010 10:44:59 am
      Big club? yes we always will be classed as a big club and rightly so.Just because of all the sh*te our club are going through it doesn't take away our big club status.Things will eventually be resolved regarding ownership which will settle the ship to a certain extent.Then its down to Woy and the players to do the rest.Other 'big clubs' have gone longer with out winning the title (prem/div1) and gone through difficult times.It just happens to now be our time to go through it.
      I'm not giving up,this is my club,my dream,my life,chin up fellow reds we will beat this and get back to winning things which is what we do best.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #64: Aug 26, 2010 12:52:58 pm
      I just want to make it clear, i am not doubting that we are still a massive club. I was more concerned about what our fans felt about what so-called "outsiders" thought e.g. opposition players, fans, journalists etc. I know a lot of people from outside of the club are jealous of Liverpool and its past. However, what i was trying to get at is, if everyone is constantly putting down the club, will it affect what players we will be able to buy in the future, leading to the club success reducing in the future. I supoose it was a stupid thought though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #65: Aug 26, 2010 01:26:04 pm
      I just want to make it clear, i am not doubting that we are still a massive club. I was more concerned about what our fans felt about what so-called "outsiders" thought e.g. opposition players, fans, journalists etc. I know a lot of people from outside of the club are jealous of Liverpool and its past. However, what i was trying to get at is, if everyone is constantly putting down the club, will it affect what players we will be able to buy in the future, leading to the club success reducing in the future. I supoose it was a stupid thought though.

To be honest mate, if future transfers are believing what they read in the press about us not being a big club then they shouldn't be here anyway. Liverpool Football Club is one of the most famous names around the world and that will continue. Everybody knows about our history, everybody knows about the fan base and everybody knows about the Kop.

That will entice people to want to sign for us, not what some gobs***e journalist looking for a few extra brownie points has to say. We could go into League 1, and we'd still be the biggest club in England and the most recognisable around the world.

Liverpool Football Club is a big club. Anybody who doesn't recognise that fact is living in cuckoo land.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #66: Aug 26, 2010 01:35:39 pm
      To be honest mate, if future transfers are believing what they read in the press about us not being a big club then they shouldn't be here anyway. Liverpool Football Club is one of the most famous names around the world and that will continue. Everybody knows about our history, everybody knows about the fan base and everybody knows about the Kop.

That will entice people to want to sign for us, not what some gobs***e journalist looking for a few extra brownie points has to say. We could go into League 1, and we'd still be the biggest club in England and the most recognisable around the world.

Liverpool Football Club is a big club. Anybody who doesn't recognise that fact is living in cuckoo land.

Never thought about it like that mate. Great points made.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #67: Aug 26, 2010 01:37:05 pm
      I still see Leeds United as a big club and look at them.

We are by far a superior club to Leeds, so there is your answer.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #68: Aug 26, 2010 01:40:16 pm

That is a brilliant point. When you look at it like that, it shows you something.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #69: Aug 26, 2010 01:42:26 pm

We are by far a superior club to Leeds, so there is your answer.

Precisely.

If we by any chance got Leeds in the FA Cup I'd expect the rivalry to be immense and for them to give us a hell of a game, regardless of who their players are.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #70: Aug 26, 2010 02:08:49 pm
      What makes Liverpool a big club? For me it's a combination of a long history in the game, success both home and abroad, a huge & passionate fanbase and a worldwide following.  We are respected and recognised across the world by football fans. And that doesn't disappear overnight. So yes - we are still a huge club.

We've had it bad recently and it's shaken peoples confidence but we'll get through it, get rid of the yanks and strenghten again.

Roy has a tough job to do at the minute though. And for me this speculation about Masch and Kuyt is the latest bloody pain in the arse, unsettling for the other players and the manager. You have to have unity in the dressing room, everyone working for the team, but this kinda sh*te really upsets that. sh*te every feckin day in the press.

And with the window about to close we don't really want to loose guys without getting hands on the cash to buys players to replace them in time.

Jayzus, would love to hammer the sh*t out of West Brom, could be doin with a few goals and a comfortable 3 points...
      thephotoman
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 26, 2010 02:18:10 pm
      Being a big club is about being recognised the world over for doing something outstanding over time. At Liverpool, the tradition of winning trophies year in year out is what has made us the biggest club in Europe, if not the world. We rank alongside Real Madrid for tradition and our 5 European Cup victories stands us head and shoulders above every other club in the UK and England.

We may not have hundreds of millions of pounds available to spend, but then again we've never had that money available in the past. This club is built on the foundations of fan based support from when we were an old 2nd division club emerging as the 'super giant' of the past few decades.

Times may have been thin with regards to trophy winning in the last 20yrs but we've kept our hand in winning most things except the league. Our time will come again!

When we are in the depths of the British winter, when it's pitch black outside at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon I don't really care which team we are playing because you can be guaranteed our players will play their socks off (mostly) and our fans will sing their hearts out for the pleasure of watching them give 100%, win, lose or draw. That is what makes our club so special, so BIG and so respected.

We love football, we love it more when we're winning but so long as the club gives 100% every game we will sing and be proud. How many other clubs in the UK can (with hands on their hearts) honestly and truthfully say the same....

This club will always be the biggest!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #72: Aug 26, 2010 04:08:44 pm
      We will always be a big club due to our history and fans but at the moment we are starting to resemble a ship that is sinking and all the rats are fleeing, Aquilani going, Masch impending departure and Kuyt appearing to want to go.

At the moment I'm not confident about our future but that would change with new owners without them we are in grave danger.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #73: Aug 26, 2010 04:30:29 pm
      WE  ARE THE BIGGEST OF CLUBS, were just being bled dry by two money grabbing ,lying American cowboys which is seriously undermiming the clubs ability to perform at the top level, in the modern game you need money to have any hope of sucess. But that has nothing to do with our status as a club, its ridiculous to even think it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #74: Aug 26, 2010 04:40:10 pm
      Not the one in the zoo!!! ;)

I have to believe that we will eventually get back to the top again, although until we have owners who actually care about the club, we will remain at the level we're at - Outside challengers!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #75: Aug 26, 2010 04:58:43 pm
      If the name of a club is known in every corner of the globe even where people dont posess sky sports ye know its a big fooking club!!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #76: Aug 26, 2010 09:36:24 pm
      like i said earlier its a daft question, in the name of sanity mods please F**k this thread off its embarrassing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: Aug 26, 2010 09:59:25 pm
      We may be a big club by name, but being a big name doesn't give you the divine right to win things. Like someone else said Leeds are a big club. Till Hicks and Gillette are gone the club is just going down and down.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #78: Aug 27, 2010 01:24:55 am
      We're the biggest, bestest club.

But who's really envious of us these days.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #79: Aug 27, 2010 01:40:04 am
      We're the biggest, bestest club.

Plenty of people who wish they had Nando and Stevie at their club! :D I get ya point though.

We are and always willbe a big club. We just ain't a good one at the moment.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #80: Aug 27, 2010 01:48:31 am

Every F***ing c**t that's who Kenny.

These days, we are the most successful club in England.
      These days, we have won more League titles than any other club in England.
      These days, we have won more League Cups than any other club in England.
      These days, we have won more European Cups and more UEFA Cups than any other British side.
      These days, we possess the world's greatest goalkeeper, midfielder and forward in our ranks.
      These days, we are the only side outside of Spain to hold two World Cup winners.
      These days, we have the world's greatest fans.
      These days, we are managed by the current Manager of the Year.

Every F***ing c**t is envious of Liverpool Football Club. And the reason they're all so envious is because we're still the biggest club in World football.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #81: Aug 27, 2010 02:00:50 am
      I knew I was gonna wake Billy up with that comment.  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #82: Aug 27, 2010 02:05:57 am
      I love a quality Billy rant like that, cheers for poking the sleeping Lion Ken :laugh:

Seriously, top post Billy boy!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #83: Aug 27, 2010 02:13:00 am
      I knew I was gonna wake Billy up with that comment.  ;)

I love a quality Billy rant like that, cheers for poking the sleeping Lion Ken :laugh:

Seriously, top post Billy boy!

:sleeping-smiley-011:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #84: Aug 27, 2010 02:17:49 am

The ones who won't contribute to the owners clearing a tiny bit of debt off and keeping them here longer.

I'll take a wild guess that they're the same ones who'd make some noise too.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #85: Aug 28, 2010 05:45:43 pm
      Is LFC still a big club ?

- 18 Leagues
      - 5 Champions League
      - 3 UEFA Cup
      - 7 FA Cup
      - 7 League Cup

One of the most popular football club. A color and a song known by the whole world.

YES, Liverpool is still a big club, even if the results are not good those times.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #86: Aug 28, 2010 06:09:52 pm
      Is LFC still a big club ?

- 18 Leagues
      - 5 Champions League
      - 3 UEFA Cup
      - 7 FA Cup
      - 7 League Cup

One of the most popular football club. A color and a song known by the whole world.

YES, Liverpool is still a big club, even if the results are not good those times.

Bonjour! But remember we are English not American! Don't for get that U in ColoUr!

Welcome to the forum  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      redIndian76
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #87: Aug 28, 2010 06:10:55 pm
      Of course yes, why would we be here if it wasn't, its a global brand. Yes, based on history definitely a great club though not on current form or recent history. One thing to note is that Champions league plays a big part in the profile of the club. We are out of it and don't look like getting back in anytime soon. For a long long time till the early nineties, the main rivals to real madrid in spain was atletico not barcelona and we should do well to remember that. I really do not if we will still be that great a club in a few years time if the ownership situation remains like this. Lets hope we get the same responses when we ask this question 5 years later
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,261 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #88: Aug 28, 2010 06:16:19 pm
      Are Liverpool still a big club?? I'm surprised you got passed one post let alone 3 pages  :o You've never been anything else but a big club. Ok its hard times i know, United are going through the same problem  :-\. (( not that anyone gives a fook on here  ;D )) The tide always turns at some point in a teams life time, Liverpool are no different. Its not if you come back! its when  ;) Same applies to United  :)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #89: Aug 28, 2010 06:30:30 pm
      LFC is one of the world's biggest clubs, currently going through a very difficult time.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #90: Aug 28, 2010 07:08:27 pm
      Every f**king c**t that's who Kenny.

These days, we are the most successful club in England.
      These days, we have won more League titles than any other club in England.
      These days, we have won more League Cups than any other club in England.
      These days, we have won more European Cups and more UEFA Cups than any other British side.
      These days, we possess the world's greatest goalkeeper, midfielder and forward in our ranks.
      These days, we are the only side outside of Spain to hold two World Cup winners.
      These days, we are managed by the current Manager of the Year.

Every f**king c**t is envious of Liverpool Football Club. And the reason they're all so envious is because we're still the biggest club in World football.

Nice Post!

I think the envious are enjoying what they see at the moment- but it still wont get them any closer to us!
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #91: Aug 28, 2010 08:14:44 pm
      Bonjour! But remember we are English not American! Don't for get that U in ColoUr!

Welcome to the forum  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Bonjour :) Sorry for the mistake, thanks for the correction.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #92: Aug 28, 2010 09:53:38 pm
      Bonjour :) Sorry for the mistake, thanks for the correction.

Only joking. No need to apologise, and I think the Spell Checker is American too.

Some of the spelling on here is poor, (mine included).
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #93: Aug 28, 2010 11:51:18 pm
      Biggest club,shitest owners,need I say more.A disgrace to our history.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #94: Aug 29, 2010 12:42:57 am
      It's funny how one small thing can change your whole outlook on something. After Raul Meireles signed, i am really optimistic about the clubs future ;D. I do suffer from mood-swings ;).
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #95: Aug 29, 2010 06:54:16 am
      The big clubs in England all have a part of the human anatomy in their names

Liverpool                have the liver
      Manchester United   have the chest
      Arsenal                  have the arse

The big clubs are the most decorated clubs, not the ones with the most money.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #96: Aug 29, 2010 12:22:44 pm
      True!
      Chelsea fans do my head in- their trophy room could fit in my shed!

Jesus -47 who did you piss off?

Quick Reply