Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Is LFC still a big club?

Read 8503 times
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Re: Is LFC still a big club?
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2010 05:50:23 pm
      yes. Simple
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2010 05:57:48 pm
      Being a Red brings with it the pressure of being the BEST.Look at your mates (especially if like me you no longer live in Liverpool)They "yer mates" chelski,mancs etc seem to find us fair game atm.Due mainly to us not having won the PL (YET).
      One mate a Sheffied Utd fan comes on here regularly as a guest (likes LFC) and always comments to me "how difficult it is to believe the way we sometimes slaugter certain players after a defeat" when as like him supporting a NOT so successful team is less likely.I tell him its because OUR expectations are obviously so much higher.
      To sum up!Other top teams supporters don't see us as too much of a threat these days.
      NB:Mentioning the plastic flags (on all the seats) seems to shut most chelski fans up.

YNWA.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2010 06:04:20 pm
      We are a big club.

Only those who are envious of us see us as the opposite ;)
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2010 06:06:11 pm
      To answer the thread title question, have Livingston ever been a big club? Regardless the answer is still no.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2010 06:17:59 pm
      To the media, a pain in the arse, why can't they be bankrupted already...

Which proves that we are a massive club. The biggest in England.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2010 06:25:05 pm
      Does the bear sh*t in the woods
      mike
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 25, 2010 07:02:40 pm
      I am from Malaysia. In south east Asia, Liverpool is the biggest club in the world. We are as fanatical as all the Liverpool fans in the world. No doubt, we will remain as the biggest club. Temporary setbacks should not be used to judge our standing.

YWNA
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #30: Aug 25, 2010 07:09:36 pm
      Of course we F***ing are!

Just because our tw*t owners are draggng us backwards- doesnt change anything about our club apart from the finances!
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2010 07:26:04 pm
      To right we are ,but at the moment we are like the coach in the Italian job just hanging on the edge of the cliff ,do we survive and go on to future riches or do we go over the edge and into oblivion,only time will tell.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #32: Aug 25, 2010 07:39:39 pm
      Of course we are that is a no brainer.
      Having a billionaire owner just means you have a billionaire owner and you can offer silly money for players.
      Chelsea did it and city are doing it but when they have won 5 European cups they can consider themsleves in our company as one of the worlds greatest clubs.
      This is a difficult time for our club but things go in cycles and we will be up challenging for silverware this season and next.
      Put a billionaire in ownership of our club and its game over for everyone else because the best players will come no doubt about that.
      This combination is our greatest rivals biggest fear which is why we are getting a kicking from biased commentators.
      But beware of Liverpool with money and that will happen in time.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #33: Aug 25, 2010 08:09:29 pm
      We are a sleeping giant ! we have the best fans in the world,a history to be very proud of, and probably the most knowledegable fanbase around ,so yes we are still a big club but with little funds ,when the funds increase to level the odds with Chelsea and other blank cheque -book clubs just watch us go !
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Aug 25, 2010 08:15:25 pm
      We are big club by name only at the moment we are being run like a league 2 side.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2010 08:20:13 pm
      With the recent going on's regarding our players, namely Masch and Kuyt, plus the hammering of us by Citeh on Monday evening, it got me thinking: Is LFC still regarded a big club?

There is no doubt that we have a great worldwide fan base. The fact that the club can play pre-season friendlies in all the neck of the woods and still attract thousands of people must stand for something. We also have a history and heritage that very few clubs can compare too. What other club has as dedicated supporters as ours, travelling for years to all sorts of places in Europe, despite a lack of quality transport? Plus, we could probably fill Anfield a hundred times over each week if we were allowed. And who could forget about are founding fathers who have put the club  on the map, namely Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard and Rafa. We also have a great club song in You’ll Never Walk Alone, that is recognised and appreciated across the world, even by other clubs supporters.  But, in today’s modern football, does all this count for anything, or are we in a decline?

Let’s look at the facts. The club is still laboured by a bunch of Yanks tw*ts who neither care about running the club correctly nor could they even do it if they tried. Now I know a lot of clubs are currently in debt but the amount owed to bankers of the RBS, thanks to our cowboys, is inexplicable. Until our owners have been got rid of, which could be sooner rather than later, i fear the club will slip even further.

Next up, let’s look at the players we possess. There is no doubt we have some world-class players. You look at the likes of Reina, Agger, Carra, Johnson, Skrtel, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Cole, Torres etc. This proves that we still have a lot of quality in our team. Recently, however, we are hearing a lot about our players possibly leaving. Whether it is Gerrard to Real Madrid, Torres to Chelsea or Citeh or Masch and Kuyt to Inter. This leads me to see that, in some respects, we can't compete with other clubs like we once used to be able to. Then you look at the players we are being linked to. Admittingly, we did bring in some very good players over the summer, e.g. Cole and Jovanovic, but when you look at some of the players we are rumoured to be interested in, namely Koncheskey and Carlton Cole, it starts to worry me.

Then you also have the major stumbling block. We have not won the league since 1990. This entails that since that point, we have not been the best team in the land. We may have won the European Cup in 2005, although we did so with a lot of luck and a very astute manager. For me, you can’t move on as a club until you have achieved your main targets. For years, that has been to win the league and yet we have failed to do so on so many occasions. Then you look at last season. I know we didn’t have a great year for a number of reasons but we eventually finished a mediocre 7th. At the end of the day, the other teams around us are only getting stronger and yet we don’t seem to be moving on. Should we be thinking like a smaller club and expect to be getting beaten by the likes of ManUre, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelski or Citeh?
      I know some people may think I am getting carried away. I probably am. I am not saying this just as we were thrashed by Citeh the other day. It is something I have thought about for a while. I am interested in everyone’s views.

In terms of History yes. In terms of the present day activity no. You only have to look at the players we are buying and selling to realise this. I'm sorry if this isn't to anyones taste. But, it's the reality of the situation. We were losing out on players to mid table teams last season. Until those Yanks have gone we will never be a big club. Forrest won back to back European cups. It didn't stop them going down. I know the fans bases are completely different. But, if the slide continues and big players move on. What reason would our global support have to support us? I guarantee a few seasons of trying to keep our heads above water will see us slide into even deeper brown stuff.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #36: Aug 25, 2010 09:41:12 pm
      We are defo a big club when it comes to history and following but at the moment the people with knowledge of the game whether it be fans,players or pundits know that we cant seriously challenge in the big competitions. We are aiming just for CL places this year and any cup would be a massive unexpected bonus. SUre weve left so many names at home for the trabsonzor away match it shows where our priority lies.

Players will still come for the history and possibility of our growth but realistically we're a club in transition that needs several new players in the starting line up, a whole new bench, needs to get back to CL, needs a new stadium, new owners and whose boss is just an experienced journeyman.

But the potential here is massive and football is cyclical we will be back on top once the major issues above are sorted out.
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #37: Aug 25, 2010 09:54:46 pm
      I am from Turkey and i don't care Liverpool is a big club or not at all.... Does it mean you are losing interest globally?

sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2010 10:02:10 pm
      Football in England is like squirrels are running all the way to me while watching the game on tv... I get tired and change the channel... You take things too serious... You need to raise players with brain like Romanian Hagi for example. Most of talented internationals lose their soul when they move to England because of squirreling mentality. ex Galatasaray player Tugay was successful in the  Premier league but he still turned to a robot...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2010 10:05:55 pm
      Bu zayıflamış Liverpool takımı bile, Trabzonspor uzak geçmiş akşam yemeği gibi süpürüldü olacak. Ve ben bu konuda bir kadeh rakı olur.
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2010 10:08:27 pm
      Your Turkish is horrible.... Did you translate it by Google?.. it sucks like football in England..
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2010 10:11:19 pm
      but still thanks for your effort... Turkish is a an old and very interesting language grammatically...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:02 pm
      but still thanks for your effort... Turkish is a an old and very interesting language grammatically...

Your english isn't great, but I was kind enough to not mention it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:37 pm
      Get a life Trabz. There is enough negativity on this forum without some no mates from another club coming in to wind us up. I have no problem with other fans coming on here but you and other wind up merchants are nothing but pathetic
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #44: Aug 25, 2010 10:13:43 pm
      Football in England is like squirrels are running all the way to me while watching the game on tv... I get tired and change the channel... You take things too serious... You need to raise players with brain like Romanian Hagi for example. Most of talented internationals lose their soul when they move to England because of squirreling mentality. ex Galatasaray player Tugay was successful in the  Premier league but he still turned to a robot...

?? ???
      sorrytosaythat
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -6 
      Reply #45: Aug 25, 2010 10:16:48 pm
      Your english isn't great, but I was kind enough to not mention it.

sorry for my rude reply... I said thank you later...

Quick Reply