Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Raul Meireles (Fenerbahçe)

Read 155966 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,005 posts | 224 
      Re: Raul Meireles (Chelsea)
      Reply #1219: Sep 11, 2011 01:21:23 am
      i still belive if kenny and the board REALLY WANTED HIM he would be still here
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1220: Sep 11, 2011 09:39:40 am
      Was  highly under rated by a lot of Liverpool fans, excellant technical player
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1221: Sep 11, 2011 10:39:52 am
      I would have loved to have kept Raul.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #1222: Sep 11, 2011 12:19:35 pm
      Definitely mate. I would have had him starting most games tbh.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #1223: Sep 11, 2011 12:49:36 pm
      Ah i just got back from holiday, and i thought my brother was joking when he told me!

I did like him, it was a good option to have come off the bench.

But Owell, we have more than enough midfielders.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3957 
      Reply #1224: Sep 11, 2011 01:16:54 pm

Adam pissed me off today ill agree there, at the moment if Gerrard was to be brought straight back in, which we all expect, then Adam should be the one to be dropped IMO.
      His form dictates he should step down when Stevie get's back and really work on his sharpness, he must know himself all is not well.
       On topic: As said previously if Kenny thought it best for the team that Raul stayed he would still be here.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011 08:34:54 am by stuey »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8606 
      Reply #1225: Sep 11, 2011 02:46:03 pm

But still a massive shitbag.

Lost a lot of reds after shitting out of that challenge at OT last season.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1226: Sep 11, 2011 09:31:03 pm
      Doubt we'll miss him when Stevie is back, so long as he remains fit.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #1227: Sep 11, 2011 10:09:55 pm
      Not by me, one of my favourite players, still in my sig, working on getting that changed :p ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1228: Sep 12, 2011 05:08:56 pm
      According to him today he did  not want to leave Liverpool, he was asked to submit a transfer request by the club when they decided they wanted to sell him to Chelsea. He said he was aware the club was trying to sell him over the summer and was very surprised. He said he would rather not comment on his relationship with Kenny.

I think we will find out this season it was a mistake selling the lad and especially for so cheap
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1229: Sep 12, 2011 05:13:14 pm
      There were rumours linking him away from the club I remember and I dread seeing the news when I woke up on 1st September. Didn't want him to leave. Love the lad.

Anyways, regardless, I'll respect him and still keep him in my heart because for some reason, he's made a huge impression on me.

Respect him and he isn't judas to me.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1230: Sep 12, 2011 05:34:24 pm
      Ya people should look on him throwing a transfer request in now in a completely different light, for what ever reason we appeared desperate to sell him. Time will tell if it was a good deal, personally for me 12 million is well short
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1231: Sep 12, 2011 05:46:04 pm
      I think most of us would rather have kept him. Movement and creativity. Very good technical player. If it was a financial decision well hopefully it's one we will see justified in when Stevie returns. I can't say it's a decision I agree with. When played in a forward position he was brilliant. I can only think Kenny will keep Suarez/Stevie and possibly Hendo there and wanted Bellamy as a better wide option
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1232: Sep 12, 2011 06:27:09 pm

Chelsea's Raul Meireles accuses former club Liverpool
      New Chelsea signing Raul Meireles has accused former club Liverpool of a broken promise and forcing him to submit a transfer request.

The Portugal midfielder swapped Anfield for Stamford Bridge in a £12m deadline-day move just a year after joining the Reds from FC Porto the previous summer.

And the 28-year-old explained: "All I have to say is I had one promise at Liverpool which wasn't fulfilled."

He added: "Liverpool asked me to hand in a transfer request, that's normal."

Rumours have circulated that Liverpool promised Meireles a 100% pay rise if he impressed in his first season in the Premier League, a rise that was never forthcoming despite the playmaker making 35 appearances and scoring five goals.

Meireles revealed upon signing for Chelsea that he had never wanted to leave Anfield and that he would eventually explain why he had done so.

But even at his official Chelsea unveiling on Monday, the Portugal international was reluctant to reveal details.

Referring to his claim of a broken promise, Meireles said: "It's not the only thing to blame. But that's why fans are unsure why I left."

Refusing to discuss his relationship with Reds boss Kenny Dalglish, he added: "I was aware that Liverpool wanted to sell me in the summer, which was a bit surprising to me.

"There's no point touching this subject any more.

"I was a bit surprised, but now I'm just concentrating on my present and future, and that's with Chelsea."

Meireles - who has been reunited with former Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas - was delighted to have ended up at Stamford Bridge, telling the press conference: "When Chelsea showed interest, it was like a golden opportunity.

"I'm here now, it's a new adventure, and I want to do well here.

"I worked under Andre for one month at Porto, so I felt that there's the same mentality here as there was at Porto - the desire to win competitions and trophies. With Andre, we can do that.

"In one month, it was enough to see how he works and his desire to win things. So it wasn't hard to make the decision to come to Chelsea."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14823977.stm

If true, I guess he did not impress that much then, but it seems, it was all about the money, not not playing for the club.

That pay rise offer was made under the previous manager and owners, they have moved on, and guess what, so have we, Good Bye, and enjoy you cash.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1233: Sep 12, 2011 06:37:08 pm
      Ya people should look on him throwing a transfer request in now in a completely different light, for what ever reason we appeared desperate to sell him. Time will tell if it was a good deal, personally for me 12 million is well short

Well, we obviously needed those £12 million ...
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1234: Sep 12, 2011 06:40:56 pm
      Does anyone know how much he was earning and what he's earning now?

I think we will regret selling him to Chelsea. To lose a player of Meireles's quality and not replacing him with someone equal or better is never a good thing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1235: Sep 12, 2011 06:46:52 pm
      The rumour is he was on 35000 a week and that purslow and co promised him a wage increase if he was a successful. I personally would have given him a wage increase if as he is a great option for the squad. It is not like we recieved an offer we couldn't refuse.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1236: Sep 12, 2011 06:51:14 pm
      We've had lots of fans asking why Raul Meireles was allowed to leave the club to sign for one of our rivals?

I think Raul said it himself with what I've seen recently in the press. Basically, he came to see me and said 'I want to leave, I want to play for another club'. Our intention was not to sell him but we were put in a corner a little bit when he put in a transfer request and said he wanted to go and that he didn't want to play for Liverpool anymore. I think the owners and Kenny have said it, and we all have the same view. When someone doesn't want to be here it's difficult to say 'you are going to stay'. We've been through that process in January with Fernando Torres and this felt like the same situation. We've done it, we think it was the right thing to do for the club, because it's very, very difficult to have somebody here who doesn't want to be here. The job of the manager in the Premier League is already difficult having to manage 25 players and only having 11 to start on a match day, so you have to deal with all the others. On top of that if you have someone who is adamant they don't want to be here and wants to play for someone else, we took the view it's better if he goes and we get the best possible deal for the club. In the end I think we did well.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/comolli-answers-your-questions
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1237: Sep 12, 2011 06:59:30 pm
      Does anyone know how much he was earning and what he's earning now?

According to reports, he was on £30,000 per week at LFC ...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1238: Sep 12, 2011 07:27:06 pm
      According to reports, he was on £30,000 per week at LFC ...

He signed a contract and I am sure it didnt say he could have a rise if he was succesful. Nobody would be so vague.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1239: Sep 12, 2011 07:34:02 pm
      He signed a contract and I am sure it didnt say he could have a rise if he was succesful. Nobody would be so vague.

Woy would.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1240: Sep 12, 2011 07:36:10 pm

Are you forgetting the state of the club when Raul signed? :D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1241: Sep 12, 2011 07:51:46 pm
      I think he was entitled to a pay rise if he was promised one.  Kuyt and Johnson have since got new contracts and i doubt they didn't take wage cuts and you can bet they weren't on thirty grand a week. I really that wasn't comoli that said the stuff in the article above because i tend to believe what Raul said today because it is exactly what tony Evans tony barrett and rory smith were telling us all summer

Quick Reply