Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Paul Konchesky (Liverpool -> Leicester City)

Read 62110 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Paul Konchesky Player Thread
      Reply #483: Jan 21, 2011 08:35:58 pm
      Dossena is sh*t still though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #484: Jan 21, 2011 08:40:33 pm

The team he's playing with seem do be doing okay though. ...but that may just be coincidence so don't let it get in the way of your sound bite.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #485: Jan 21, 2011 09:03:23 pm
      IF it benefited the team so would I mate.

For me its not been the depth of our back line thats been the main problem (I agree with Mick on that one.....nothing personal) its how deep our midfield were falling back that was the real problem. Both from a defensive standpoint and from an attacking one, if your midfield is too deep, rather than trying to win the ball in less dangerous areas every tackle becomes a last ditch desperate one.

To play with a deep defensive line like we do you need a strong aerial presence (Hyypia), sadly to play with a higher back line you need defenders with real pace which we don't have either. Caught between two stools like we are (no pace, no aerial domination) you need your midfield to play a commanding role in maintaining a higher line allowing your defenders to play deeper leaving no space behind them. Which is where your full backs come in. If you play with attacking full backs the space they leave can be exploited and once crosses come in without a high line and with average centrebacks you are always vulnerable.

If we play with a high line and our relatively slow centrebacks we would need to have a rushout goalkeeper (ala Lawrence and Clemence)to guard the space behind them and we would need to maintain possession much better than we appear capable of at the moment. Players like Kuyt would become a liability in such a team.

You also need to take account of the forwards you are playing against, playing against someone good in the air you play a litle higher line than you would against a forward with great pace.

So while I am not against the idea of a higher back line with the right centrebacks, the compromise for me at the moment would be for the midfield to play with a higher line rather than our defnders.

I always said that Masch and Alonso played a little too deep before 2008/9, when finally Alonso started to step up more.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 09:44:40 pm by s@int »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #486: Jan 21, 2011 09:45:38 pm
      Won't be here much longer to talk about anyway:

Konchesky tipped for summer return to Fulham

Paul Konchesky could be back at Craven Cottage this summer after reports Fifa rules denied him the chance to go back this month.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/01/21/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-konchesky-leaving-darren-bent-move-and-jovanovic-desperate-to-stay-at-reds-100252-28031739/#ixzz1Bi159wYL
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #487: Jan 21, 2011 09:51:19 pm
      I thought the rule was no more than two clubs (i.e. if we sold him back to Fulham it would be ok as still within the two clubs rule? )
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #488: Jan 21, 2011 10:18:01 pm
      The team he's playing with seem do be doing okay though. ...but that may just be coincidence so don't let it get in the way of your sound bite.

He's a wing back, not a full back - always has been.

That made sense when we played a high line 4231, with the 2 DM covering, but it didn't quite work out defensively, although I will always maintain he is a better player than konchesky.

Konchesky really is awful in every respect - I can't see he has anything going for him other than being a decent journeyman pro in a side without too much ambition.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #489: Jan 21, 2011 11:04:25 pm
      75% of the goals scored when Konchesky has played have come down his side hardly backs up the theory he is a decent defensive.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #490: Jan 22, 2011 08:50:24 am
      IF it benefited the team so would I mate.

For me its not been the depth of our back line thats been the main problem (I agree with Mick on that one.....nothing personal) its how deep our midfield were falling back that was the real problem. Both from a defensive standpoint and from an attacking one, if your midfield is too deep, rather than trying to win the ball in less dangerous areas every tackle becomes a last ditch desperate one.

To play with a deep defensive line like we do you need a strong aerial presence (Hyypia), sadly to play with a higher back line you need defenders with real pace which we don't have either. Caught between two stools like we are (no pace, no aerial domination) you need your midfield to play a commanding role in maintaining a higher line allowing your defenders to play deeper leaving no space behind them. Which is where your full backs come in. If you play with attacking full backs the space they leave can be exploited and once crosses come in without a high line and with average centrebacks you are always vulnerable.

If we play with a high line and our relatively slow centrebacks we would need to have a rushout goalkeeper (ala Lawrence and Clemence)to guard the space behind them and we would need to maintain possession much better than we appear capable of at the moment. Players like Kuyt would become a liability in such a team.

You also need to take account of the forwards you are playing against, playing against someone good in the air you play a litle higher line than you would against a forward with great pace.

So while I am not against the idea of a higher back line with the right centrebacks, the compromise for me at the moment would be for the midfield to play with a higher line rather than our defnders.

I always said that Masch and Alonso played a little too deep before 2008/9, when finally Alonso started to step up more.  

I genuinely believe we are coming at this from different angles, tho' I could be wrong.

I did say it was more complicated that just Insua v Konchesky (i'll acknowledge Roy's favoured centre-backs didn't work) and. ... my thinking was that if our defence played a higher line the mid-field would, naturally, be pushed higher.

I feel that Pepe performs better with a bit of space to maneuverer in and Nando would be less isolated.

You believe Konchesky to be a better defender than Insua - I'm saying that I haven't seen that but it may be down to the system and the players picked. The only way we can tell tho' is if Kenny plays a deep-lying, rigid, 4-4-2 with Insua instead of Konchesky. ... and I sure as sh*t hope he doesn't.

I hope he does what's best for the team which, in my opinion, is to move Paul on, sign a new LB or (failing that) play Insua in a team that plays a higher line.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 09:04:48 am by bad boy bubby »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #491: Jan 22, 2011 12:08:31 pm
      We should get an indicator of which way we will be going depending on who we sign at CB (if we do sign one). A Huth or a Hangeland and I think we will keep the deep line, a Mexes or a Kjaer and we may play further forward. I think Konchesky and Insua are gone either way.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #492: Jan 22, 2011 02:09:47 pm
      what about djymi traore?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #493: Jan 22, 2011 03:30:17 pm
       I'd like to see us defend further up as well S@int, but we definately need a bit of pace at the back if we are going to do it. One bloke who did catch my eye when we played in Europe was the fella I think at Athletico Madrid, I think his name is Peria or something like that. He's like sh** off a shiny shovel, if we had someone like him you could defnd half way line all day long.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #494: Jan 22, 2011 05:15:42 pm
      I'd like to see us defend further up as well S@int, but we definately need a bit of pace at the back if we are going to do it. One bloke who did catch my eye when we played in Europe was the fella I think at Athletico Madrid, I think his name is Peria or something like that. He's like sh** off a shiny shovel, if we had someone like him you could defnd half way line all day long.
      Yeah I noticed him also. His name is Perea and I think he's the fastest central defender in the world.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #495: Jan 22, 2011 05:21:39 pm
      I think thats why Ashley Cole is so highly rated not the best defender but plays high up the park and has the pace to get back when needed
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #496: Jan 22, 2011 07:17:56 pm
      It is clear he is finished at the club
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #497: Jan 22, 2011 08:13:32 pm

Can't say I have ever heard of him Mick, but I will look out for him now. Would be nice to have some real pace at the back again.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #498: Jan 22, 2011 09:43:06 pm

The lad your talking about is Perea. He is a decent player but he is 31 years of age and I couldn't see NESV backing a move for him, even if there was the slightest interest in him from King Kenny.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #499: Jan 31, 2011 09:51:25 am
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #500: Jan 31, 2011 09:52:51 am
      Nice
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #501: Jan 31, 2011 09:52:58 am
      Just about to post the same ^_^
      Good news :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #502: Jan 31, 2011 09:57:35 am
      Good luck.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #503: Jan 31, 2011 10:00:21 am
      Good luck Paul!

DONE DEAL: Nottingham Forest's quest for a full-back is over. They have signed Paul Konchesky on loan from Liverpool.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #504: Jan 31, 2011 10:45:03 am
      Dossena actually looked like he was capable of playing football when put in midfield.  He was just far too slow, hopelessly so, and couldn't hack it in defence.

I remember saying how Dossena was the worst player I had seen play for us when he had a couple of games at left back.  Fortunately Rafa noticed and brought on Insua quickly who had a good first season.  Dossena got some kudos for some half-decent displays in midfield, plus lobbing the keeper at Old Trafford.

Paul Konchesky probably isn't fit to clean Dossena's boots.  He is that bad in my opinion.

I'm wetting myself.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #505: Jan 31, 2011 01:37:09 pm
      We should no longer hate Nottingham Forest!!!

Quick Reply