Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

Fernandez Suso (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 194242 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Re: Fernandez Suso Player Thread
      Reply #851: Nov 05, 2013 05:15:50 pm

To do what?

Play in the reserves and sit on the bench?

Better off staying here he is for now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #852: Nov 05, 2013 08:06:45 pm
      To do what?

Agree, regardless of how well he is doing he needs to have a full season of regular football every week, bringing him back and reducing his playing time for a first team isn't going to help him develop as a player. He's at the stage now where he is too good to be playing reserve/U21 football but at the same time will struggle playing first team football to his full ability without getting some regular playing time.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #853: Nov 06, 2013 12:39:00 am
      I really thought his career was over here but hearing all the good performances he is putting in Spain has to give optimism on his future here.  No matter how well he is doing there I wouldn't bring him back in January.  A good full season there would be brilliant for his development.  It is not as if we have many games at the moment to offer.  Bringing him back would be like we did with Jonjo from Blackpool, he was doing a brilliant job there and should have stayed instead of warming the bench here at best. 
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #854: Nov 06, 2013 12:59:39 am
      To do what?

Why in the reserves,he´s much better than some others that we have playing every weekend,or that we paid and brought expecting to be good ie Aspas
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #855: Nov 06, 2013 01:04:36 am
      I wonder what the situation with Suso is in Brendan Rodger's case.

I can't see him being a player Rodgers would let go off so easily, they should ask him about this in the press conference, but most likely won't get asked as journalists don't have a clue.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #856: Nov 06, 2013 01:07:00 am
      He is young and whilst a few good performances might feel that a totally different player has been formed.  I don't think so.  He has a good opportunity and the loan deal for him to play in La Liga was a good opportunity for him and he has taken it, it seems with both hands.  Let the kid have a full season playing well at home and come back full of confidence.  The probability of him doing well will dramatically increase if he has a full season there instead of cutting it short.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #857: Nov 06, 2013 10:07:49 am
      Nice write up on Suso

http://talksport.com/football/player-lighting-la-liga-who-will-play-liverpool-future-13110566992

The player lighting up La Liga who will play for Liverpool in future

Get ready for the SASAS, Kopites. talkSPORT's Spanish football correspondent Lee Roden has his finger on the pulse of La Liga and here he profiles the exciting Liverpool youngster learning his trade in one of Europe's best divisions…
      Last year was an exceptional one for Jesus Joaquin Fernandez Saez de la Torre, better known as Suso.

At the tender age of 18, by the time the summer had passed, he had won the U19 European Championship with Spain. By the autumn, he had made his first team debut with Liverpool. By the new year, his number of appearances with the Reds had reached double figures.In the summer of 2013 he faced a different task, however; the challenge of going on loan to a new league, playing as often as possible, and hopefully, returning to Anfield a more mature player, ready to start games regularly in the future.

The good news for Liverpool is that he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands, and is succeeding in his mission. In fact, many in Spain simply can’t stop talking about him.Suso’s situation at Almeria couldn’t be more different to the one he was accustomed to at Liverpool. At Anfield, the Spaniard was a bright young talent, facing the pressure of breaking into the first team and attempting to maintain a high level that would keep him in Brendan Rodgers’ plans.

At Almeria, on the other hand, he is the club’s superstar – despite still being only 19 – his reputation from Spain’s youth teams as well as the stature that comes with playing for Liverpool elevating him above players with far more experience at the Andalucian club.In the face of that expectation, the youngster has shown incredible maturity, never shying from the ball and constantly looking to help his side out. Suso seems to thrive on the pressure, aware of what he can bring to the struggling team, and is notably happy to play across any of the attacking midfield positions in order to assist as best as possible.

The player recently spoke at length about his decision to join Almeria, despite other major offers, in an interview with Sandra Galvez. His words show just how dedicated he is to Liverpool.

I had bigger offers than the Almeria one, in particular one from Germany, but I wanted to stay attached to Liverpool, an important team for me. When I learned of Almeria’s interest, I didn’t think twice. My goal is to play as much as possible, experience La Liga, and help my team to stay up.

So far, he is certainly doing his best to help them in their goal. Almeria currently sit second from bottom in La Liga, yet with only three points more, they could be three places clear of the drop zone. It’s tight down there, and it is already evident that the Liverpool loanee will be key to their hopes of escaping. His ability to provide goals is particularly crucial. With five assists so far in the league, he only trails Atletico Madrid’s Koke and Barcelona’s Neymar in that department.

His most recent assist came in a vital 1-0 win over Valladolid last weekend. It is fitting therefore that Valladolid fansite Blanquivioletas.es talked up his ability ahead of the game, noting that he is the ‘kind of player that can cut an opposition defence open and change the tide of a game’.

They add that ‘his strength is undoubtedly his vision, he is capable of threading passes to strikers that most players couldn’t even imagine, and he can do it thanks to his technique and creativity. He’s the kind of player you can expect anything from’.

It’s safe to say that they are impressed with the Liverpool man, therefore, and like many in Spain, they now have a clear picture of his virtues after a relatively short period of time in the league. That says something about the impact he has had.

The eulogies don’t stop there.Vavel.com talk of Suso as a player that is ‘the biggest attraction’ at Almeria. They add that he is ‘one of those players that makes it worth paying for a ticket to see’, ‘when he has the ball you don’t know where he’s going to surprise you, his repertoire of techniques is infinite, it’s very difficult to get the ball off him, and he has a golden left foot’. Again, like the others, they also stress just how important he will be for Almeria if they want to stay up.

In truth, from a Liverpool perspective, it isn’t particularly important if Almeria get relegated or not, but what is important is that Suso is playing regularly and playing well. In that regard, everything is going to plan for the Reds, and if things continue on their current trajectory, it would be a shock if Brendan Rodgers doesn't consider him as part of his plans next season.
      As it stands, not only is Suso playing well, but he is playing so well that he could yet save the Andalucians from the drop. Should he manage to do that, he will leave Almeria a hero, just as he already looks likely to return to Liverpool a finished product.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2013 10:13:53 am by little-Luis:) »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,681 posts | 3901 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #858: Nov 06, 2013 10:44:10 am
      Nice write up on Suso

http://talksport.com/football/player-lighting-la-liga-who-will-play-liverpool-future-13110566992

The player lighting up La Liga who will play for Liverpool in future

Get ready for the SASAS, Kopites. talkSPORT's Spanish football correspondent Lee Roden has his finger on the pulse of La Liga and here he profiles the exciting Liverpool youngster learning his trade in one of Europe's best divisions…
      Last year was an exceptional one for Jesus Joaquin Fernandez Saez de la Torre, better known as Suso.

At the tender age of 18, by the time the summer had passed, he had won the U19 European Championship with Spain. By the autumn, he had made his first team debut with Liverpool. By the new year, his number of appearances with the Reds had reached double figures.In the summer of 2013 he faced a different task, however; the challenge of going on loan to a new league, playing as often as possible, and hopefully, returning to Anfield a more mature player, ready to start games regularly in the future.

The good news for Liverpool is that he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands, and is succeeding in his mission. In fact, many in Spain simply can’t stop talking about him.Suso’s situation at Almeria couldn’t be more different to the one he was accustomed to at Liverpool. At Anfield, the Spaniard was a bright young talent, facing the pressure of breaking into the first team and attempting to maintain a high level that would keep him in Brendan Rodgers’ plans.

At Almeria, on the other hand, he is the club’s superstar – despite still being only 19 – his reputation from Spain’s youth teams as well as the stature that comes with playing for Liverpool elevating him above players with far more experience at the Andalucian club.In the face of that expectation, the youngster has shown incredible maturity, never shying from the ball and constantly looking to help his side out. Suso seems to thrive on the pressure, aware of what he can bring to the struggling team, and is notably happy to play across any of the attacking midfield positions in order to assist as best as possible.

The player recently spoke at length about his decision to join Almeria, despite other major offers, in an interview with Sandra Galvez. His words show just how dedicated he is to Liverpool.

I had bigger offers than the Almeria one, in particular one from Germany, but I wanted to stay attached to Liverpool, an important team for me. When I learned of Almeria’s interest, I didn’t think twice. My goal is to play as much as possible, experience La Liga, and help my team to stay up.

So far, he is certainly doing his best to help them in their goal. Almeria currently sit second from bottom in La Liga, yet with only three points more, they could be three places clear of the drop zone. It’s tight down there, and it is already evident that the Liverpool loanee will be key to their hopes of escaping. His ability to provide goals is particularly crucial. With five assists so far in the league, he only trails Atletico Madrid’s Koke and Barcelona’s Neymar in that department.

His most recent assist came in a vital 1-0 win over Valladolid last weekend. It is fitting therefore that Valladolid fansite Blanquivioletas.es talked up his ability ahead of the game, noting that he is the ‘kind of player that can cut an opposition defence open and change the tide of a game’.

They add that ‘his strength is undoubtedly his vision, he is capable of threading passes to strikers that most players couldn’t even imagine, and he can do it thanks to his technique and creativity. He’s the kind of player you can expect anything from’.

It’s safe to say that they are impressed with the Liverpool man, therefore, and like many in Spain, they now have a clear picture of his virtues after a relatively short period of time in the league. That says something about the impact he has had.

The eulogies don’t stop there.Vavel.com talk of Suso as a player that is ‘the biggest attraction’ at Almeria. They add that he is ‘one of those players that makes it worth paying for a ticket to see’, ‘when he has the ball you don’t know where he’s going to surprise you, his repertoire of techniques is infinite, it’s very difficult to get the ball off him, and he has a golden left foot’. Again, like the others, they also stress just how important he will be for Almeria if they want to stay up.

In truth, from a Liverpool perspective, it isn’t particularly important if Almeria get relegated or not, but what is important is that Suso is playing regularly and playing well. In that regard, everything is going to plan for the Reds, and if things continue on their current trajectory, it would be a shock if Brendan Rodgers doesn't consider him as part of his plans next season.
      As it stands, not only is Suso playing well, but he is playing so well that he could yet save the Andalucians from the drop. Should he manage to do that, he will leave Almeria a hero, just as he already looks likely to return to Liverpool a finished product.

Nice write up there.

Historically successful youth acadamies only produce one or two prospects,
      at first team level, each season.

At Liverpool, the youth system has been stretched with the first teams
      dependence on youth players to plug holes in the squad.
      Seeing Wisdom, Sterling and Suso getting a lot of games early last season.
      This was the exception rather than the rule for clubs developing youth players.

We really need to see more deals like Suso's, where the player is able to develop
      away from the club, and not stagnate, like Sterling and Wisdom, after a breakthrough
      season.

Great to see Suso doing well and hopefully he'll come back a more finished player
      and make a case for himself in pre-season.

I'd hate to see him rushed back, as others have mentioned, like Shelvey.
      Young players need game time to make the next step.

We've seen the loan system fail for the likes of Ngoo and Coady.
      Sometimes it just doesn't work out with them getting games and
      developing the way you would like, which is why only a small few
      make the grade as the club would hope.

Unlike a few years ago when we only had a couple of prospects,
      we now seem to have a greater number of players attempting to
      make the breakthrough and therefore a much greater chance of
      some of them eventually making the grade.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #859: Nov 06, 2013 11:12:47 am
      away from the club, and not stagnate, like Sterling and Wisdom, after a breakthrough
      season.

A second loan might not even be the worst idea for any of these. If we get a loan in, even for 6 months, but then get another loan after at a higher standard ie Championship > Premier League or like Suso; Lower La Liga > higher La Liga or Premier League, so that theya re continually getting game time but also improving and playing at a higher standard before another step up to Liverpool.

I'd hate to see him rushed back, as others have mentioned, like Shelvey.

That's a good point too. Rushed back just to be 'an option' won't help him. Every 10 minutes he plays here is worth 80 odd minutes at Almeria.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #860: Nov 06, 2013 11:53:57 am
      Absolutely made up for him that he's able to play and showcase his talents, it's also good that people are starting to notice.  Agree with Racer too, there's no point bringing him back here next season if he's not going to be playing, so maybe look to get him a loan at a PL team so he's not just playing but getting EPL experience without too much expectation.

I sometimes think we expect too much from the loan deals we get for players and give up on them (the loan) before they've had any benefit.  I've read a few times recently about Townsend who's had no less than 9 loan deals before finally getting his breakthrough at Spurs.  We might not think they're benefiting because they're not playing but it's more than that.  As Coady said the other night you realise how much it means to be playing and earning a living from playing.  It means being able to pay the mortgage or have a holiday, probably something he hadn't even thought of before.  Mellor has said similar about his loan deals, some are better than others but you still gain from them.

Anyway, well done Suso you should be proud of yourself lad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #861: Nov 06, 2013 12:08:08 pm
      Really, really pleased for the lad.
      He always looked a player, and he's proving it now.

I expect he'll be assessed when he returns from loan, and his development will dictate whether another loan deal is done.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #862: Nov 06, 2013 01:42:50 pm
      Honestly I dont know where does this need to be loaned to develop come from.There are many examples of players that started playing big footy at younger age and never needed a loan.I think that what he did need was more minutes on the pitch,that BR wasnt willing to give apparently.As I asked before,what´s the point on loaning Suso out and paying about ( dont remember exactly) £8 m for Aspas that, so far, resulted another flop?

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #863: Nov 06, 2013 01:48:43 pm
      As I asked before,what´s the point on loaning Suso out and paying about ( dont remember exactly) £8 m for Aspas that, so far, resulted another flop?

You're great at hindsight!

So you're saying that Suso would play up front if Sturridge was to get injured in the first 6 games of the season, or later?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #864: Nov 06, 2013 01:50:48 pm
      Why in the reserves,he´s much better than some others that we have playing every weekend,or that we paid and brought expecting to be good ie Aspas

You think Brendan is going to recall a lad he sent out on loan and put him straight in the first team?

Ok.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #865: Nov 06, 2013 01:52:35 pm
      As I asked before,what´s the point on loaning Suso out and paying about ( dont remember exactly) £8 m for Aspas that, so far, resulted another flop?

For a start off they play totally different positions but if you want to compare them how many minutes has Aspas actually played compared to Suso where he is?  Keeping Suso here would have benefited nobody, that's the point of the loan.

hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #866: Nov 06, 2013 01:55:08 pm
      You're great at hindsight!

So you're saying that Suso would play up front if Sturridge was to get injured in the first 6 games of the season, or later?
      Aspas is also a ¨playmaker¨ and he didnt come as a replacement for sturridge
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #867: Nov 06, 2013 02:11:04 pm
      From the official LFc page about Aspas ¨He can play through the middle or out wide; he can be a clinical finisher or  a generous provider. He will drop deep, play off the shoulder or ghost in from  the flank¨
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #868: Nov 06, 2013 02:15:02 pm
      From the official LFc page about Aspas ¨He can play through the middle or out wide; he can be a clinical finisher or  a generous provider. He will drop deep, play off the shoulder or ghost in from  the flank¨

Suso still wouldn't have played if he'd stayed here.  I still can't see why you're trying to compare the two of them they're totally different players, playing in totally different positions.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #869: Nov 06, 2013 02:21:24 pm
      Comparing both players wasnt really my point,but was that I wouldnt have sent Suso out on loan
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #870: Nov 06, 2013 02:35:31 pm

Still doesn't mean he and Suso play in the same position.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #871: Nov 06, 2013 02:49:03 pm
      Comparing both players wasnt really my point,but was that I wouldnt have sent Suso out on loan

See while I agree we'd have got use of him here the development he's clearly getting over there will serve him and us both much greater if we can make the CL this season. If we miss out by just a couple of points you might be right but the way his confidence was and his shoot on sight mentality (many believe Brendan instilled this with his "got to add goals to his game" talk) he was beginning to abandon what made him look like one of the hottest properties in Europe.

Now that he's out of the spotlight, getting assists (which is far more important in his game than goals and I still don't know why Brendan said that) and building his confidence up this lad will come back next year, not so much a different player, but just an much improved version of Suso.

It will be interesting to evaluate the pair of Suso and Raheem in the next pre-season to see just what these loans have done for the lads, because so far one is blossoming and the other is way too good for U21 football.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #872: Nov 06, 2013 02:57:09 pm
      Aspas is also a ¨playmaker¨ and he didnt come as a replacement for sturridge

Ah he's not. A deep lying forward yes, but there's no way he can be described as a playmaker. He is not no where near the same type player as Suso, Coutinho, Gerrard etc. Suso is a playmake, Aspas is a forward. Why we are comparing them I'll never know.

It a nutshell, it sounds like Suso is thriving as actually playing as a playmaker week in-week out, as opposed to a 'false-winger'.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #873: Nov 06, 2013 03:08:49 pm
      Got a wand of a left foot this lad, going to be a proper player in years to come. My suspicion is it won't be with us, but he'll make it somewhere.

Quick Reply