Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)

Read 150125 times
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Re: If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)
      Reply #2254: Jan 07, 2011 07:08:55 pm
      We've gone forwards, we got new owners.  Now we need a manager who is better than Woy, so unless you believe Woy is a better manager than Rafa it is moving forwards.  Not to say there aren't other options out there but to suggest it wouldn't be a step forward is crazy talk or a horribly overused cliche, take your pick.
      Who mentioned Roy?
      Its pretty obvious I mean moving forwards from Roy as the topic states "if not Roy then who?"  I said IMO I wouldn't want Rafa.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 07:18:31 pm by KopKarl »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2255: Jan 07, 2011 07:56:10 pm
      I heard this the other day from Roy Evans.Shankly  on away matches  is said to have looked back on the coach and wanted to see 3 men who he would have in the trenches with him. Well I would have Rafa in a trench with me anyday and if that's the measure, then the owners should crawl up to Caldy and kiss his f**king feet.
      I dearly love this club it has meant so much to me for over 40 years but I honestly think those days on the Kop are gone for ever.
      2005 was like blast from the past one of the best days of my life and was so happy for all those kids who just had the likes of me to remind them of what used to be.
      Now these owners intend to take us somewhere else and I am not sure where that may be.
      I see Rafa and I see a link to Shankly and Paisley he is made in the same mould of our greatest.
      NESV or what ever they call themselves would have been treated with distain by Shankly his idea of Directors just being there to sign cheques, now things have changed.
      I am not sure I like the new Liverpool and I certainly don't like it since 2007.
      Maybe its time for my generation to let go and let the club do what it will in a new era.
      But nobody will take away my memories of best part of 40years support and now its over to NESV its there baby I just know Shankly would be turning in his grave.
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #2256: Jan 07, 2011 08:01:36 pm
      I heard this the other day from Roy Evans.Shankly  on away matches  is said to have looked back on the coach and wanted to see 3 men who he would have in the trenches with him. Well I would have Rafa in a trench with me anyday and if that's the measure, then the owners should crawl up to Caldy and kiss his f**king feet.
      I dearly love this club it has meant so much to me for over 40 years but I honestly think those days on the Kop are gone for ever.
      2005 was like blast from the past one of the best days of my life and was so happy for all those kids who just had the likes of me to remind them of what used to be.
      Now these owners intend to take us somewhere else and I am not sure where that may be.
      I see Rafa and I see a link to Shankly and Paisley he is made in the same mould of our greatest.
      NESV or what ever they call themselves would have been treated with distain by Shankly his idea of Directors just being there to sign cheques, now things have changed.
      I am not sure I like the new Liverpool and I certainly don't like it since 2007.
      Maybe its time for my generation to let go and let the club do what it will in a new era.
      But nobody will take away my memories of best part of 40years support and now its over to NESV its there baby I just know Shankly would be turning in his grave.
      Well said Walton  :clap:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2257: Jan 07, 2011 08:03:17 pm
      cheers buddy. I went to the match with my Grandad who went from about 1915 and my dad who went since the early 1930's I just want the same for the young kids that go today.There is simply nothing better in this world than seeing the league Championship being paraded around Anfield with Shankly in his Red shirt.
      Rafa in my opinion is the closest we have had.
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #2258: Jan 07, 2011 08:14:57 pm
      I agree Rafa is the closest we had, but I do feel he has had his time, especially with the new owners here now. I dont think FSG would touch him with a barge pole.

I was 14 when we won our last championship. As a kid I took it for granted because year on year as a child we were always up there in the league and challenging for trophies. I fear its all becoming a distant memory and I so want those times back, as we all do.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2259: Jan 07, 2011 08:19:06 pm
      I am starting to warm to Owen Coyle he has something about him. Despite producing crap football teams Scotland does produce fine managers.
      If Rafa isn't everyones first choice I  cant understand why Kenny isnt. Lets go back to having a Manager with affiliation to the club deep in his heart. We have Kenny ,Thomo, Roy Evans, John Toshack, all available surely we can find a decent managership team from these former greats.
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #2260: Jan 07, 2011 08:22:33 pm
      For me its Kenny and Tommo until the end of the season and then who knows. I wouldn't say no to Boas or Coyle in the summer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2261: Jan 07, 2011 08:25:07 pm
      For me its Kenny and Tommo until the end of the season and then who knows. I wouldn't say no to Boas or Coyle in the summer.
      Why is it that the owners cant see that Kenny an Thomo is the dream ticket.FFS
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2262: Jan 07, 2011 09:52:38 pm
      Coyle is just the flavour of the day at the moment the same way Phil Brown was the same way George Burley was the same way John Gregory was. That is what I think anyway
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #2263: Jan 07, 2011 10:16:49 pm
      Coyle is just the flavour of the day at the moment the same way Phil Brown was the same way George Burley was the same way John Gregory was. That is what I think anyway

That's what concerns me.  I'd sooner have a guy in with a proven record and a no-nonsense approach to keep these ego's in check. 
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #2264: Jan 07, 2011 10:37:24 pm
      The only thing I hope is, just after Roy is replaced, there won't be endless debates about the candidates who could have been better than the new manager, and how the fact they weren't chosen proves how owners are clueless.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #2265: Jan 07, 2011 10:44:34 pm
      I do think Owen Coyle has something about him and would be a risk as he is unproven ata club as big as ours but I do think we need to take a risk with the next appointment and he needs to be a manager who wants to build something at the club.

What has impressed me about Coyle is the way he has taken Allardyce and Megson's players and with a few additions has totally transformed the way they play football and he seems to have a football philosophy which is a lot closer to ours than the current manager.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #2266: Jan 07, 2011 11:10:31 pm
      I do think Owen Coyle has something about him and would be a risk as he is unproven ata club as big as ours but I do think we need to take a risk with the next appointment and he needs to be a manager who wants to build something at the club.

What has impressed me about Coyle is the way he has taken Allardyce and Megson's players and with a few additions has totally transformed the way they play football and he seems to have a football philosophy which is a lot closer to ours than the current manager.
      On the same page with regards to us needing to take a risk. We went for the 'safe' option in the summer, look how that turned out. The best decisions (with hindsight) are those that had a fairly high element of risk at the time. All just about weighing up the pro's and con's and go with your gut on it.

Already said my piece on Coyle a few pages back, but if NESV want a young manager who can build with the club, then they are going to have to look at the new generation of coaches, e.g. Villas-Boas, Deschamps, Coyle, Sanchez Flores etc. I don't want another stop gap who will be leaving us after 3-4 seasons. We have got a tradition of rather than giving the manager the boot, they resign after 6,7,8,9 years in the job and winning everything out there.

IMO, them 4 names listed above should be names under consideration if the approach we are going for is a young manager who can build the club and remain in the job for years to come.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2267: Jan 07, 2011 11:29:18 pm
      Emery has to be in there Redwilly doing a excellant job at Valencia
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #2268: Jan 07, 2011 11:50:47 pm
      I agree with Walton that in regard to having LFC in their blood Rafa is the nearest we have to Shanks and Paisley. I'm not sure though that this can be transformed to today's money driven game. It's not going to be too long (given NESV's tradition of passing costs onto fans) before I have to think twice about renewing my season ticket. Money is everything today. One of the reasons why we are in the mess we are in now is because during the success of the 70's and 80's football was first and not cash. Once the premiership era kicked off we didn't cash in on the commercial side were other clubs did.

Not sure its enough to have LFC in your blood now. The owners don't give a sh*te what club they own as long as its making them cash and lots of it. If, as a manager, you have a strong personality your influence is cut short if you have a disagreement with the board. Yes you have to have quality as a manager but you have to toe the line as well, with more emphasis on the latter. Strong, independent, quality managers are few and far between (they are often called mavericks or characters nowdays). Amongst other reasons, this is why Rafa won't get another crack and why Kenny won't get more than a caretaker role if he's lucky!

These are the days we live in and they are not the same as the 70's and 80's were football was still a game of the people, the fans. I yearn for a return to those days myself but its not going to happen. Football is gradually being wrenched from the grip of the man on the street and its sh*ite!

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #2269: Jan 08, 2011 12:03:45 am
      we need a winner, not a potential..
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #2270: Jan 08, 2011 09:41:46 am
      BOLTON boss Owen Coyle last night emerged as the man Liverpool want to lead the club out of their nightmare.

With Roy Hodgson likely to be out of a job within days, the Scot has emerged as the front-runner to succeed him.

He shot to the top of the short-list after Marseille boss Didier Deschamps and former Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard ruled themselves out.

Former manager Kenny Dalglish – an ambassador at the club – is the fans’ choice and Liverpool’s American owners are looking for a quick replacement.  He is likely to be turfed out after Sunday’s FA Cup clash at Manchester United.

The troubled Liverpool boss saw the words “Hodgson Out” daubed on the walls of the training ground yesterday.

The club’s bosses were ready to kick Hodgson into touch, but have decided to hang fire after Deschamps and Rijkaard ruled themselves out.

Deschamps led Marseille to their first French title in 18 years last year and also won the League Cup.

But last night he said: “When I talk about being the coach of Marseille in the new stadium, I mean it.

“It is an idea that pleases me. Now, 2014 is a very long way away in my profession.

“But I have said people should understand I am not a tramp. I proved it last year. I could have left.”

Rijkaard is unwilling to be parachuted into the job halfway through a season which is already going nowhere.

Now it is the name of the highly-regarded Coyle, whose team did so well despite losing at Anfield on Saturday, that is echoing in the Anfield corridors of powers.

Hodgson’s fate was sealed with Wednesday’s 3-1 loss at Blackburn – Liverpool’s ninth Premier League defeat of the season.

Hodgson is a ‘dead man walking’ and only an unlikely draw or victory at Old Trafford will earn him a stay of execution

Just remember tho this is "The Daily Star"
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2271: Jan 08, 2011 10:06:07 am
      Liverpool: 5 Reasons Why Roy Hodgson Must Leave Right Now

Do We Reallhy Care As Long As The Media Are Catching On ?, Excluding That sh*t Rag Of Course

Liverpool take on Manchester United in the FA Cup on Sunday in a game that could be pivotal to determining the future of Roy Hodgson who has stayed on as the manager despite reports surfacing that the new owners are currently searching for a new manager. Rafael Benitez might have brought Liverpool FC to a lower position from their previous highs but they were always a very tough and capable team under the Spaniard. However they have lost to many lower quality oppositions without a fight and have sunk to new lows under Roy Hodgson.

Roy Hodgson had an excellent start to 2010 as the manager of Fulham but the year ended on a bitter note for the Englishman who has been accustomed to hearing chants for Kenny Dalglish to be the manager for the Reds. Though Hodgson has a decent managerial career, his tenure with Liverpool has not been successful and here are 5 reasons why he needs to part ways with the club for the better future of the Merseyside club.

1. Incapable of bringing out the best from his Talented Players

Liverpool might be languishing in the bottom-half of the table but no one could accuse the club of not having the quality to at least be within the top seven clubs after the first half of the season. It has been due to the poor performances from their best players that the Reds find themselves in this predicament. Though Hodgson has probably made average talents like Lucas Leiva and Maxi Rodriguez into better players, he has not been able to bring out the best from his star players.

Fernando Torres has looked very frustrated throughout the season barring a few matches where the supporters have seen what he is capable of. He does not look like he wants to fight for the manager and if Liverpool are to secure a top seven finish, they need Torres to find his shooting boots on a regular basis. Joe Cole is another example of a talented player failing miserably under Hodgson. Though Gerrard has been decent this season, he has not been as influential as he can be because he has been played too deep in a number of matches.

2. Playing too negative for a team like Liverpool

Liverpool are a huge club and boast of arguably the most supportive crowd in history. However they have been utterly disappointed with the negative tactics employed by Hodgson which has more or less meant that the Reds have not dominated too many games. For a club which has some great attacking talents like Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, they have played too deep which has meant the duo have not been able to influence games on a regular basis.

Liverpool under the Englishman has passed the ball a lot in their own half but have lacked the creativity to break down defences. Also, they have played the long ball game and expect too much of Torres who has been woefully out of form. Daniel Agger was outspoken in his criticism of the manager in his tactics to just clear the ball from the back instead of distributing it cleanly which does provide a view of the manager’s tactics.

3. Poor Transfer Record and Bad Utilization of Some Players

Though Liverpool were struggling financially at the time when Hodgson took over as he manager of Liverpool, he still had decent money to spend. However he has brought in some very mediocre players who do not deserve to play for a club like Liverpool. Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky are very average players who are not good enough and have been criticized by the Anfield faithful for their poor performances.

Raul Meireles is different in this regard as he is a proven player who has shown that he can develop to be an excellent player in the future. However, he is a proper central midfielder who does not have too much pace which is why he should not be played on the wing. The Portuguese has played on the flanks on more than a couple of occasions but has not performed too well because he is a quality central midfielder and not a winger. Also Steven Gerrard is at his best when he is influencing the game from the centre but his tactics has meant he has played too deep which has meant he cannot be that influential and Torres has suffered from a lack of service.

4. Hodgson does not inspire confidence to the Supporters and the Players

Roy Hodgson has made a number of statements which have been controversial and has been criticized by the Liverpool supporters. He has not cut a confident figure; in fact, he has been rather cautious in his approach and has not looked like a manager for the long term future of the club. His comments after the poor performance against local rivals Everton were quite pathetic when he said they had put in their best performance of the season in that 2-0 defeat. Also when Sir Alex Ferguson was indirectly pointing out that Torres dived in the game between the two clubs, Hodgson said nothing to back the player.

Also, his comments about Glen Johnson not being good enough and Joe Cole not assured of a regular place has only brought down the confidence of the team. Every time the Reds have let in a goal, Hodgson does not inspire the players who need a tougher manager at the helm. His man-management skills have not been excellent and it does seem like he has found the Liverpool job and expectations too big to handle despite his assurances.

5. Liverpool Supporters want him out and will not back him as the Manager

Liverpool have been one of the most successful clubs in history and the supporters want the club to play attacking football. They have not been happy with the defensive tactics of Hodgson while the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal have been attacking in most of the games. The Reds have an away record that is quite similar to clubs fighting against relegation and the supporters have been forced to watch some pitiful football over the last few months, especially away from Anfield while they have also suffered some embarrassing losses like the defeats to Blackpool and Wolves at home.

Hodgson made another error by criticising the famous Anfield support and was invited with sarcastic chants of “Hodgson for England” in the next few games. He must understand that Liverpool supporters generally back the manager to a great extent but they do not back him because they do not believe he is the right man for the job. The new owners have been patient so far but they should make a move to appease the supporters who are very restless at the moment.

The fact that Anfield has not been completely filled by supporters for the last couple of matches is a huge cause for concern which clearly gives the indication that the fans have lost the faith in Hodgson and the team for now. Hodgson might have come in at a difficult period but will not be unfairly treated if he does get the sack because he has been given a lot of time to turn things around at Liverpool. Now that he has been unsuccessful, it is time for someone else to try to steady the ship.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #2272: Jan 08, 2011 11:07:46 am
      woys gone yeeeeeaaaahhhhh
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #2273: Jan 08, 2011 11:08:23 am
      Bring on KING KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2274: Jan 08, 2011 11:19:38 am
      Kenny. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #2275: Jan 08, 2011 11:19:56 am
      Locked.

Quick Reply