Trending Topics

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 336773 times
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Re: Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #1104: Oct 18, 2013 10:41:03 am
      Liverpool FC have moved a step closer to the £260 million redevelopment of Anfield today after Liverpool Council gave the go ahead for the compulsory purchase of the properties required, reports The Liverpool Echo.

The £260 million Anfield development will create over 700 jobs and will lead to the refurbishment of over 500 homes also, although 700 will be demolished.

While many have been bought up over the years to allow work to go ahead, around 30 remain outside the developers’ control.

On Friday next week, members of Liverpool council’s cabinet will be asked to approve, in principle, the use of compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) to smooth the scheme’s path.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said:

“We have had overwhelming support from local residents and businesses for our plans and there is unarguable public interest in driving these proposals forward.

“The people of Anfield have been let down too often in the past. We will not let them down again.

“We remain confident that we will be able to acquire properties without having to resort to CPOs but want to get agreement for them should they be required. The legal justification for CPOs, should they be needed, is unequivocal.”

Redevelopment of Anfield is the preferred choice of owners Fenway Sports Group as they try to increase Liverpool’s match day income and also increase the number of fans who can attend home games to watch the Reds.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1105: Oct 18, 2013 10:47:54 am
      Liverpool FC have moved a step closer to the £260 million redevelopment of Anfield today after Liverpool Council gave the go ahead for the compulsory purchase of the properties required, reports The Liverpool Echo.

The £260 million Anfield development will create over 700 jobs and will lead to the refurbishment of over 500 homes also, although 700 will be demolished.

While many have been bought up over the years to allow work to go ahead, around 30 remain outside the developers’ control.

On Friday next week, members of Liverpool council’s cabinet will be asked to approve, in principle, the use of compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) to smooth the scheme’s path.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said:

“We have had overwhelming support from local residents and businesses for our plans and there is unarguable public interest in driving these proposals forward.

“The people of Anfield have been let down too often in the past. We will not let them down again.

“We remain confident that we will be able to acquire properties without having to resort to CPOs but want to get agreement for them should they be required. The legal justification for CPOs, should they be needed, is unequivocal.”

Redevelopment of Anfield is the preferred choice of owners Fenway Sports Group as they try to increase Liverpool’s match day income and also increase the number of fans who can attend home games to watch the Reds.

can't get too excited by this, four of the properties are derelict which does beg a few questions but still any sign of progress is encouraging, hopefully will see this happen in my lifetime.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3964 
      Reply #1106: Oct 18, 2013 02:23:36 pm
      can't get too excited by this, four of the properties are derelict which does beg a few questions but still any sign of progress is encouraging, hopefully will see this happen in my lifetime.

Unfortunately at this stage of the game the majority look beyond the ''signs of encouragment'' at the footnote - and there's always a footnote that blunts the ''encouraging sign''.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1107: Oct 30, 2013 10:32:12 am
      Any news on this stadium saga, last i heard there was a hearing to get compulsive purchase orders just in case a deal cant be struk for the last 30 or so  houses. I really hope we get this all sorted and plans submitted before the end of the season as it would be a perfect time to expand while we look to be on the up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1108: Oct 30, 2013 10:57:24 am
      Any news on this stadium saga, last i heard there was a hearing to get compulsive purchase orders just in case a deal cant be struk for the last 30 or so  houses. I really hope we get this all sorted and plans submitted before the end of the season as it would be a perfect time to expand while we look to be on the up.

Last I read a couple of weeks ago is there's 3 landlords still refusing to sell the last 6 properties.  They're hoping it goes down the compulsory purchase route as they stand to make more money but it could take another 2 years due to the legal wrangles.  It's all down to the Council really to up their offers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3964 
      Reply #1109: Oct 30, 2013 11:43:44 am
      Next Wave Of Demolitions for £260m Anfield plan
      The next wave of house demolitions in Anfield is about to get under way in preparation for the £260m regeneration of the area.
      Bulldozers are to tear down 42 empty homes in Baltic St and Burnand St and seven in Rockfield Rd.
      The council has approved plans to resort to compulsory purchase orders to try to force some landlords to sell up in order that they do not hold up the plans.
      The council said it was confident of agreeing deals on the 30 or so properties outstanding.
      The Anfield Village project will see 700 new or refurbished homes, a training hotel, catering hub in Stanley Park and an avenue running to Anfield stadium named in honour of the Hillsborough victims, the stadium will also be enhanced as part of the project.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/next-wave-demolitions-260m-anfield-6251499
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1110: Oct 30, 2013 01:29:58 pm
      Last I read a couple of weeks ago is there's 3 landlords still refusing to sell the last 6 properties.  They're hoping it goes down the compulsory purchase route as they stand to make more money but it could take another 2 years due to the legal wrangles.  It's all down to the Council really to up their offers.
      Lets hope it dont come down to it and we can offer them a new place to live and some cash as we cant afford to wait another 2 years, I know its not as simple as its peoples homes and lives we are talking about but the area needs this revamp.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1111: Oct 30, 2013 01:30:35 pm
      Next Wave Of Demolitions for £260m Anfield plan
      The next wave of house demolitions in Anfield is about to get under way in preparation for the £260m regeneration of the area.
      Bulldozers are to tear down 42 empty homes in Baltic St and Burnand St and seven in Rockfield Rd.
      The council has approved plans to resort to compulsory purchase orders to try to force some landlords to sell up in order that they do not hold up the plans.
      The council said it was confident of agreeing deals on the 30 or so properties outstanding.
      The Anfield Village project will see 700 new or refurbished homes, a training hotel, catering hub in Stanley Park and an avenue running to Anfield stadium named in honour of the Hillsborough victims, the stadium will also be enhanced as part of the project.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/next-wave-demolitions-260m-anfield-6251499
      Cheers fella lets hope we can get this sorted sooner rather than later.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1112: Oct 30, 2013 01:40:53 pm
      Lets hope it dont come down to it and we can offer them a new place to live and some cash as we cant afford to wait another 2 years, I know its not as simple as its peoples homes and lives we are talking about but the area needs this revamp.

The houses are empty mate and 2 out of the 3 landlords don't even live in this country.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1113: Oct 30, 2013 06:05:34 pm
      The houses are empty mate and 2 out of the 3 landlords don't even live in this country.

Thanks Debs, I thought I had heard that but could not clearly remember if that was the case.

I have no problems with CPO's in this case as it is somewhat obvious that the "landlords" of empty buildings are merely holding out for one purpose only.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1114: Oct 30, 2013 09:41:26 pm
      the area around the ground looks like the rough part of down town Baghdad.. the sooner its flattened the better as long as I can remember its been an awfully deprived and run down area.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1115: Oct 31, 2013 03:35:49 am
      the area around the ground looks like the rough part of down town Baghdad.

A bit of hyperbole perhaps?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1116: Nov 01, 2013 09:27:57 am
      Really!!!  :mad:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1117: Nov 02, 2013 03:58:10 pm
      I will take some photos and let you judge for yourself but its probably the most run down area in the city and has been for decades.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1118: Nov 09, 2013 06:33:21 pm

It is horrific looking and a sad state of affairs - I remember Alexei Sayle doing a documentary about the whole city and he was walking around these derelict areas of Anfield. He complained that the two football clubs could be doing more for the city, or specifically, the areas they are situated in. FSG are definitely going to do that, and the restoration of the area is desperately needed.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #1119: Nov 11, 2013 10:12:56 am
      I parked on Heyworth Street Saturday for the first time in a few years, on the walk to the ground it was pleasing to see the redevelopment around Granton Road area. Saying that there is still a long way to go.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #1120: Nov 17, 2013 10:12:08 am
      One gigantic problem as I see it is that Skerries Rd (behind the Cent Stand) actually had the houses on it completely refitted. I also seem to remember that these houses were owned by the club, redone by it, and then sold. I mean thats the sort of thing Frank Spencer might do if he was owning a PL club...

Sorry for the late reply on this. I couldn't confirm for the whole street but I know for a fact that at least some of these houses on the side closest to the Centenary are still owned and rented out by the club. The fella I get a lift to work off rents off them.

I don't foresee an issue with that in the short term anyway. That'll be the last stand to be touched, with it being our most modernly equipped.

Given the announcements over the past couple of months, hopefully we're a little closer to a concrete announcement. I'm sure plans are drawn up and ready to announce once the legalities are out of the way. Never thought I'd say this but it actually looks like this could play out in the next couple of years.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1121: Nov 18, 2013 06:38:50 pm
      Sorry for the late reply on this. I couldn't confirm for the whole street but I know for a fact that at least some of these houses on the side closest to the Centenary are still owned and rented out by the club. The fella I get a lift to work off rents off them.

I don't foresee an issue with that in the short term anyway. That'll be the last stand to be touched, with it being our most modernly equipped.

Given the announcements over the past couple of months, hopefully we're a little closer to a concrete announcement. I'm sure plans are drawn up and ready to announce once the legalities are out of the way. Never thought I'd say this but it actually looks like this could play out in the next couple of years.

Interesting. Thanks for that. I'm sure the Echo etc reported a few times that various/lots of  Skerries hses had been renovated and sold, supposedly at a loss. As a gesture of commitment to the community (or so it had been reported...)

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the homes sold, were actually sold to.... "themselves" ie a secret trust type arrangement. As has been alleged has been going in with the club's acquisition programme.

I know Anfield is in a mess, and desperately needs sorting. But there's quite a lot of buildings that are absolute architectural gems. I remember the Italian team in the Euro Championships who played at Anfield. They loved it because of the sense of history, closeness to the traditional lifeblood of the club and the game ie the rows of terraced homes as neighbours.

Ofcourse having rows of terraces exactly where you want to build extensions is also an absolute curse.

My guess is that we could be looking 14-18months + before we see diggers.(Not of the John Barnes variety... : D) If we could get the lterm possibility of a true mega stadium around the old hallowed turf, that would be fantastic. But there's numerous bridges to cross/probs to solve 1st.

I know the club have been criticised by residents and vice versa. But I think there comes a time when people must have a solution rather than a battle. What is fair compensation etc is a hard q to answer tho..
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1122: Jan 05, 2014 11:33:51 am
      Still no word on when reconstruction is going to start?

I'd like to see a Champion League final at Anfield; with Liverpool involved.
      bmanb1
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #1123: Jan 05, 2014 05:36:45 pm
      This is a desperate need, not just the seats but also the quality of the seats, the quality of the facilities including the changing rooms, and the boot room should be rebuilt just the exact equivalent to the boot room the home changing room had when Bill Shankly was in charge!!!!

Liverpool's attendance per match would easily cope with 50 thousand compared to the 37ish thousand we currently have.

However, money needs to be spent in other areas like new players. Liverpool should buy 3-4 January transfers and then build onto Anfield in the Summer with the signings of a couple of big talents.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3964 
      Reply #1124: Jan 05, 2014 06:11:34 pm
      This is a desperate need, not just the seats but also the quality of the seats, the quality of the facilities including the changing rooms, and the boot room should be rebuilt just the exact equivalent to the boot room the home changing room had when Bill Shankly was in charge!!!!

Liverpool's attendance per match would easily cope with 50 thousand compared to the 37ish thousand we currently have.

However, money needs to be spent in other areas like new players. Liverpool should buy 3-4 January transfers and then build onto Anfield in the Summer with the signings of a couple of big talents.

42,500ish is nearer the mark, we are all aware of what needs to be done as are FSG who promised to address those very same issues long ago.
      andrewm
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #1125: Jan 09, 2014 10:58:03 pm
      Any redevelopment or new stadium to increase capacity would surely be a good thing
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #1126: Jan 10, 2014 06:40:25 am
      Any redevelopment or new stadium to increase capacity would surely be a good thing

Many would disagree that a new stadium would be a good thing.

Quick Reply