Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Are We Right to Trust Broughton & Purslow or are They Taking us All for Fools?

Read 5086 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Are We Right to Trust Broughton & Purslow or are They Taking us All for Fools?
      Reply #46: Oct 07, 2010 09:33:30 pm
      Seems as though I'm not allowed innuendo on the boards all I can say is Broughton did Hicks something like that.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Are We Right to Trust Broughton & Purslow or are They Taking us All for Fools?
      Reply #47: Oct 07, 2010 09:35:06 pm
      Any chance you'll stop reading my posts KS67, I was having a debate with YNWA, nothing to f**king do we you and I'm sick to my teeth of you riding me with every chance you f**king get, you have an opinion I have opinion, get over it.

What your opinion is I don't f**king know because you seem to be spending most of your time having a hop off me.

Really pathetic stuff if you have facts about the bid or even an opinion tell me because I'm all ears or do you just want to go around acting like a 10 year old.

I know you don't know my opinion you spent most of yesterday ignoring it.

I tried to reassure you about a number of things given my own knowledge of the Red Sox, people have also done this, you chose to ignore it in favour of repeating yourself constantly.

I'll continue to read your posts but your right I've given up trying to tell you anything because your so tunnel vision it wouldn't make a difference if I had neon sign above my head summarising all the positives I can muster... you'd still ignore it for negativity.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #48: Oct 07, 2010 09:35:56 pm
      Seems as though I'm not allowed innuendo on the boards all I can say is Broughton did Hicks something like that.

Your more than allowed, gives humour to proceedings.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #49: Oct 07, 2010 09:36:19 pm
       I can not say the new owners are going to screw LFC but in the same way I can not say they will do us well, there is something about being part of a sporting group which does not sit well, I know this is meaningless but I wanted an owner who's main sporting interest is LFC, I don't want to play second fiddle to a baseball team
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #50: Oct 07, 2010 11:36:11 pm

Well no nothing like that actually... RBS did Hicks and Broughton was merely the tool they used. You could in fact say that the cancer did themselves in when they failed to raise the finance and then appointed a failure like Purslow to do it for them and he failed to raise it as well because if they had raised the finance Broughton would not be looking like a hero now. Quite the opposite in fact.

The fact is that Broughton could and should have sold much earlier if he has the powers that he claims and they are confirmed by the courts. I think we all know that at least one of the earlier bids had substance and apparently explicity gave us Reds, not the owners, a better deal. I think we deserve to be told why those bids were rejected.

Until we find out there remains a suspicion that Broughton's delaying was actually buying Hicks and Gillett time to find finance until we reached the very point at which he couldn't delay any further.

The whole point about this is that a lot of the cooing and sycophancy directed at Broughton/Purlsime just isn't warranted. Broughton was doing what he had to do and there's a suggestion that he didn't do that very well.

None of which, coincidentally, is any criticism of the prospective new owners which is somethnig else a lot of people don't understand. It is a criticism of Broughton which he can answer if he had integrity. I won't be holding my breath.

Like everyone else I'm pleased to see the back of the cancer but I'm cautious about the new owners and their intentions. Let's not kid ourselves that they aren't in it for exactly the same reason that the cancer were in it because they are. The question is whether their strategy will give us what we want and get us out of this spiral of decline and even that isn't certain.

After everything we've been through from the Moores/Parry era to today I'm cautious and neither optimisitic or pessimistic.

The only owners that we can genuinely trust will be ourselves and that is the truth of the matter. That is something that Broughton has completely failed to acknowledge.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #51: Oct 08, 2010 12:04:47 am
      I think Broughton and Purslow have done the right thing here. John Henry and his partners would have done their homework on L.F.C. and would have seen how Hicks and Gillette have been persued by the fans. They will be fully aware of the passion the fans have for this club, and that will have been instrumental in their decision to make a bid. The business side of this,would not work without the solid foundation built over decades by the fans. That would have been a major part of the attraction. They know that as long as they do the right things, as they have done with the red sox, they will get the full support of the fans and the L.F.C. Family. If they try to rape the club as hicks and co did, they will be aware of the repercussions also. There are no guarantees, but as long as they operate openly and honestly, with the wellbeing of the club at the top of the agenda, we can only hope. I wouldn't be surprised when all the court fiasco is finalised, and a new board is announced, that  King Kenny will be invited to join the board. Mr. Henry will be aware that his football knowledge is somewhat limited and he will need an ambassador of L.F.C. to keep the board in touch with the fans.  It is evident that Hicks and Gillette have plundered and pillaged other sporting icons for little more than personal greed. I just hope that when they leave this life, for whatever reason, it is a long and painfull death. John Henry seems like a breath of fresh air at the moment, but as said, only time will tell. :welcome: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Oct 08, 2010 12:10:22 am
      Well no nothing like that actually... RBS did Hicks and Broughton was merely the tool they used. You could in fact say that the cancer did themselves in when they failed to raise the finance and then appointed a failure like Purslow to do it for them and he failed to raise it as well because if they had raised the finance Broughton would not be looking like a hero now. Quite the opposite in fact.

It could be said Tom Hicks Juniour with the "Blow me F**k face" started the ball rolling with the boardroom re-shuffle as Purslow would never have been on the board had it not been for his resignation. Purslow did infact the £100 million investment Tom & George wanted, just Tom & George were not happy with the %40 that Rhone group wanted for it.

The fact is that Broughton could and should have sold much earlier if he has the powers that he claims and they are confirmed by the courts. I think we all know that at least one of the earlier bids had substance and apparently explicity gave us Reds, not the owners, a better deal. I think we deserve to be told why those bids were rejected.

Until we find out there remains a suspicion that Broughton's delaying was actually buying Hicks and Gillett time to find finance until we reached the very point at which he couldn't delay any further.

I wouldn't say that is fact to be honest we do not the insides and outs of the earlier bids at the table, thats Sahara, Rhone, Huang, Kirdi etc, Broughton did say he'd find the best owners for LFC, maybe just maybe as we do not know who was funding the likes of Huang and Kirdi as that has never been public they were not the right owners for LFC and Broughton stood by his word. Remember Huang walked away from the table by his own admission stating Broughton was dragging his heels, well what would you rather have a rushed sales process ala Moores and Parry or a thorough sale done in due course when all avenues of teh deal have been explored ?

The whole point about this is that a lot of the cooing and sycophancy directed at Broughton/Purlsime just isn't warranted. Broughton was doing what he had to do and there's a suggestion that he didn't do that very well.

Believe me mate I'm not cooing at Broughton as I've already stated in the thread I created about the board I can't wait until Broughton is gone and I hope he takes Cecil with him. I just have a feeling Broughton has been straight down the line all the way, this to me has come across a carefully planned out process even more so when you look at his most recent statements.

I really don't believe he's been pushed into doing Tom & George by RBS at all as he could have just walked away and said we have bidders but teh owners valuation is too high and let RBS seize control of the club.

Like everyone else I'm pleased to see the back of the cancer but I'm cautious about the new owners and their intentions. Let's not kid ourselves that they aren't in it for exactly the same reason that the cancer were in it because they are. The question is whether their strategy will give us what we want and get us out of this spiral of decline and even that isn't certain.

After everything we've been through from the Moores/Parry era to today I'm cautious and neither optimisitic or pessimistic.

The only owners that we can genuinely trust will be ourselves and that is the truth of the matter. That is something that Broughton has completely failed to acknowledge.

I think were all cautiously optimistic mate, I've read some pretty encouraging stuff about them over the last couple of days on red socks forums and from red socks fans, I just hope they can transfer a similar succesful game plan that they employ over there in baseball onto the football pitch.

Much like you, you will not see me Thanking any of the board members as it was their duty and it was what they took wages from the club and the fans to do.

TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #53: Oct 08, 2010 12:19:22 am
      Much like you, you will not see me Thanking any of the board members as it was their duty and it was what they took wages from the club and the fans to do.

True.  I am sure you don't cheer Torres when he scores, after all that is job, he gets paid for it :P
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #54: Oct 08, 2010 12:22:46 am
      True.  I am sure you don't cheer Torres when he scores, after all that is job, he gets paid for it :P

Of course I do I support Torres and every one of our players that wanders onto the pitch, unfortunately that does not include Chelsea Fans and Snakes in Cuban heels.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #55: Oct 08, 2010 12:27:20 am
      RR60 has a point.

Broughton's hand may have been forced by time constraints and RBS. He may have turned down better offers in hope of getting some other better offer. The truth remains that no offer coming in, close to the  deadline, will be, on-the-whole, perfect.

We may have wanted a buyer that will clear ALL of LFC's debts and committed to building a bigger stadium + committing some £ 200 million to players over the next two years - That ship sailed when Broughton waited till the end to make a deal happen.

Concerning the new Owners, eurored already summed it up. This is not another leveraged buy-out where buyer is untouched by debt-recovery; these men are putting their own cash into the purchase. Good.

I may have read something about the principal owner's business having being hit bad by recession, but that is not something to lose sleep over. Or is it?

I chose to be happy and cautious at the same time.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #56: Oct 08, 2010 06:17:18 am
      First mention I've heard of the other bidder, listened to Tariq Panja of Bloomberg on a podcast of Newstalk. He said it was an extremely wealthy individual from Singapore, a Billionaire, he has it on good source.

He said he put it to Broughton who didn't want to talk about it, he asked him why he chose the American bid he said because of the experience they have running sports clubs. He said it is the same excuse that was used in 2007 when the yanks where chosen over DIC. It is on the podcast for the 6th of October, off the ball on newstalk the last 5 minutes.

Make of that what ye will.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #57: Oct 08, 2010 09:25:42 am
      All we know is that for months on here people were saying why cant it be the liverpool way IE keeping it behind close doors ,Broughton does this he even said he would do it ,now all of a sudden certain people want all the information out in the open ,you cant have it both ways .
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #58: Oct 08, 2010 11:17:27 am
      What information is available whih states that Broughton refused the alleged Huang deal?

I haven't criticised Broughton once but most of the anger aimed at him always comes back to him being "chelsea scum" or some other childish remark. He's a professional businessman with integrity and for him, that will always come above whatever team he supports. Do people seriosuly think that he'd deliberately screw us over in case we became a threat to chelsea?!?! Get a grip!. I don't see many people questioning the motives, professionalism or dedication of Fowler, Macmanaman, Carragher etc just because they are/were Everton fans. Broughton is on the brink of not only disposing of H&G but costing them an absolute fortune aswell, not mention leaving their reputation in tatters. Fair to play to him says I.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #59: Oct 08, 2010 11:22:14 am
      If i am being honest, i understand why most fans viewed Broughton and Purslow as "YES" men but i never really saw it that way.....or maybe that was me being naive. Anyway, at the minute, until the deal goes through, we can't tell whether we are right to trust them. Actually, it will probably be 2 years down the line whether we can really truthfully tell whether we are right to trust them.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #60: Oct 08, 2010 11:53:46 am
      Broughton said all along that he wouldn't necessarily take the highest bid , he would take the best bid for Liverpool Football Club. I think he has genuinely tried to do this.

As for the new owners not making a commitment to building a new stadium but looking at ALL possibilities , I think that is sensible and I'm glad they haven't made any commitment . At least they haven't come in and said they'll put a spade in the ground in 60 days. What they have said is they will increase the capacity and  will look at the best option.
      I don't want them to promise us a table but then deliver a table lamp.
      I don't want them to make promises they cannot keep.
      I just want some honesty and integrity , it's been sadly lacking since Hicks and Gillette took over.

They aren't going to chuck money at us a La Man City and Chelsea , and most of us wouldn't want that.

Hopefully by the end of next week we will have new owners who , according to David Buick a market analyst , are a million miles away from Hicks and Gillette. He said in a Sky video that this is a really good deal for Liverpool FC and we should look at it in a very positive light.

We should all pray he has called it right !!

redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #61: Oct 08, 2010 05:18:27 pm
      First mention I've heard of the other bidder, listened to Tariq Panja of Bloomberg on a podcast of Newstalk. He said it was an extremely wealthy individual from Singapore, a Billionaire, he has it on good source.

He said he put it to Broughton who didn't want to talk about it, he asked him why he chose the American bid he said because of the experience they have running sports clubs. He said it is the same excuse that was used in 2007 when the yanks where chosen over DIC. It is on the podcast for the 6th of October, off the ball on newstalk the last 5 minutes.

Make of that what ye will.

Unless you're talking about the top 3 individuals in Singapore, I'm afraid none of them have enough money to bring Liverpool back to where it once belonged.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #62: Oct 09, 2010 10:07:44 am
      Maybe it was ROF because Tariq Panja said the individual was extremely wealthy and was a billionaire, I think Tariq is very reliable as well.

Suprised how little interest there has been on this to be honest most people have already made up there mind John Henry is the saviour, I'm yet to be convinced.
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2010 10:13:40 am by corballyred »
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #63: Oct 09, 2010 10:29:40 am
      Corbally you have not been convinced about anything of late. I remember you and a good few others calling me a Broughton mole Cecil etc etc over recent weeks. If you care to look back on my posts I kept telling you to wait and see and stuck my colours to Broughton thus receiving a sh*t load of abuse on here. I also posted some itk (god I hate that phrase) and again was shot down stating that Broughton was H&G rent boy.

Hate to say I told you so but...........

On another more scary note was playing golf the other day with an ex red who is crapping himself about administration and says its more than a possibility as H&G have nothing to lose. It's open warfare at Melwood etc at the moment even they guys who operate the off site are getting their wings clipped. The sooner this is done the better.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #64: Oct 09, 2010 12:30:18 pm
      I'll only thank Broughton, if John Henry turn out to be a good owner also I hope 2 years down the line we are not saying I wish he went with the Singapore Billionaire.

In fairness Gazza you did say wait and see not going to take that away from you.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #65: Oct 14, 2010 03:09:55 pm
      Corbally you have not been convinced about anything of late. I remember you and a good few others calling me a Broughton mole Cecil etc etc over recent weeks. If you care to look back on my posts I kept telling you to wait and see and stuck my colours to Broughton thus receiving a sh*t load of abuse on here. I also posted some itk (god I hate that phrase) and again was shot down stating that Broughton was H&G rent boy.

Hate to say I told you so but...........

On another more scary note was playing golf the other day with an ex red who is crapping himself about administration and says its more than a possibility as H&G have nothing to lose. It's open warfare at Melwood etc at the moment even they guys who operate the off site are getting their wings clipped. The sooner this is done the better.

Well it remains to be seen whether your "hero" will complete the sale and get his £500 thousand bonus for doing so or in fact land the club in administration with a 9 point deduction.

Of course, we do know that Broughton had the chance to sell much earlier than this and I have to ask why he's taken so long to close the deal... the words incomeptence and negligence spring to mind.

It's hard to see exactly what Liverpool fans will have to thank him for if his self indulgence lands us in administration and ultimately relegation.

Only a fool puts their faith in either Broughton or Purslime because the only trustworthy custodians for the club are ourselves. Both of them were brought into the club to do specific jobs: we know Purslime failed miserably and it looks as though Broughton is heading down the same toilet.

I wonder if Broughton will picking up his bonus if we go into administration and RBS have to sell the club themselves?

I wonder how many real Reds fans will be picking up £500 thousand for having utterly failed to do their job?

One thing is for sure you can bet that Broughton will be more than handsomely rewarded for his efforts whichever way this falls and you,and the rest of us, will be paying for it.

Quick Reply