Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2794178 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #16928: Apr 21, 2015 09:55:05 pm
      What they are trying to accomplish

I'm not sure they knew when they brought us, they brought us believing it would be easier than it is in reality to bridge the gap.

They as I've said numerous times could have been the perfect owners at the right time in and around 07... When we were entrenched in the top 4 and competing regularly in the CL with a rounded squad that had real quality within it and 'spending what we generated' would have kicked us on.

However I think they realise they have bitten off more than they can chew and are happy for us to tread water where we are now.. Which isn't where we ideally see the club.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16929: Apr 21, 2015 09:55:32 pm
      Villa, Basel and Besiktas can only dream of spending anywhere near that amount.

They're not competing against City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal and spurs for a CL spot!
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16930: Apr 21, 2015 09:56:08 pm
      Available for around 26 in the summer wasn't he?

No. The buyout would have activated this summer, but then he signed a new contract. He has never been available.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16931: Apr 21, 2015 09:58:04 pm
      I'm not sure they knew when they brought us, they brought us believing it would be easier than it is in reality to bridge the gap.

They as I've said numerous times could have been the perfect owners at the right time in and around 07... When we were entrenched in the top 4 and competing regularly in the CL with a rounded squad that had real quality within it and 'spending what we generated' would have kicked us on.

However I think they realise they have bitten off more than they can chew and are happy for us to tread water where we are now.. Which isn't where we ideally see the club.

They would be perfect owners for a different club... A Wolverhampton, a QPR, Stoke

They could take all the time in the world and implement a 20 year plan and nobody would say a thing because the expectation is jut not there.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16932: Apr 21, 2015 10:05:05 pm
      Your right mate FSG are not going to outspend the 4 teams above us they have as much as admitted it.
      However that does not mean they are going to be happy with finishing 5th. Rodgers remit has always been after a couple of years of stability to have us in the CL. In a way he overachieved last year and that may be his downfall.

If our net spend is below the 4 teams above us and we are finishing 5th then you could say Rodgers has achieved what is expected. Yes what is expected by any average manager as that is where we should finish with our spend.
      We and FSG don't exoect to have a average manager we want someone more than average, so on that basis Rodgers is not performing to expectations of the fans and I doubt FSG.

Who wants a average Joe at the helm of their club?

If you don't outspend them then it's very difficult to out do them in the modern game, especially starting ten moves behind them in terns of squad basis..
      In that process you have to rely on the main part of your policy being luck to consistently finish above them.

So yes to potentially to do it you need an exceptional coach, now Rodgers has my backing but can we honestly say with a straight face that when they employed him he could be seen as such?

And if they decide he isn't and they want a fresh man, are we going to attract an exceptional coach above all the other clubs in the world who may well want him and have more or a guatentee to be at that top table?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16933: Apr 21, 2015 10:07:40 pm
      They would be perfect owners for a different club... A Wolverhampton, a QPR, Stoke

They could take all the time in the world and implement a 20 year plan and nobody would say a thing because the expectation is jut not there.

But as an investment group they would never have brought one of those clubs as they could never turn them into anything other than what they are.

They thought they could potentially with us but I think they didn't know what they were getting into with the whole system of European football
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16934: Apr 21, 2015 10:09:42 pm

In that process you have to rely on the main part of your policy being luck to consistently finish above them.

Luck to find the right manager
      Luck that you strike gold with the buy young policy
      Luck that if you did strike gold you could keep those players together with them being cherry picked by the Barcelona's of the world.
      Luck that the teams in front of you falter

Some investment and some "Luck" will get you 5th/6th with an occasional foray into the top 4.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16935: Apr 21, 2015 10:30:05 pm
      They're not competing against City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal and spurs for a CL spot!

And that is all that matters to you the mythical 4th place trophy?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16936: Apr 21, 2015 10:33:54 pm
      If you don't outspend them then it's very difficult to out do them in the modern game, especially starting ten moves behind them in terns of squad basis..

So yes to potentially to do it you need an exceptional coach, now Rodgers has my backing but can we honestly say with a straight face that when they employed him he could be seen as such?

And if they decide he isn't and they want a fresh man, are we going to attract an exceptional coach above all the other clubs in the world who may well want him and have more or a guatentee to be at that top table?

My point is as George posted earlier you don't necessarily need to spend the most money as some one here are infatuated with, if you have a clever coach with the tactics and eye for a player you can over achieve.

Look at Southampton they should be in the relegation zone based on there spend!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16937: Apr 21, 2015 10:36:36 pm

Luck to find the right manager
      Luck that you strike gold with the buy young policy
      Luck that if you did strike gold you could keep those players together with them being cherry picked by the Barcelona's of the world.
      Luck that the teams in front of you falter

Some investment and some "Luck" will get you 5th/6th with an occasional foray into the top 4.

You seem to be obsessed with spending money being the only way to success.

How are Southampton challenging us for 5th?

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16938: Apr 21, 2015 10:41:22 pm
      And that is all that matters to you the mythical 4th place trophy?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but for the record, I'd take a cup over top 4 any day.
      A champions league place is almost a necessity in the modern game, but unless you actually win it it's just an extra income for the club.
      I'm old school, I want the trophies! That's the point of playing football!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16939: Apr 21, 2015 10:42:08 pm

You count 5th as a success?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16940: Apr 21, 2015 10:43:14 pm
      My point is as George posted earlier you don't necessarily need to spend the most money as some one here are infatuated with, if you have a clever coach with the tactics and eye for a player you can over achieve.

Look at Southampton they should be in the relegation zone based on there spend!!

This is absolutely spot on. FSG aside, let's be honest, looking back, it wasn't just our summer transfers that were a failure, tactically, Rodgers had got it wrong for long periods, and there are still question marks.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16941: Apr 21, 2015 10:46:06 pm
      This is absolutely spot on. FSG aside, let's be honest, looking back, it wasn't just our summer transfers that were a failure, tactically, Rodgers had got it wrong for long periods, and there are still question marks.

I wonder though, with Gerrard and Johnson going this summer, I might make his first team selection easier! I felt he was afraid to drop these experienced guys
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16942: Apr 21, 2015 10:48:27 pm

There's that there luck again.

People underestimating them..

I'd lay a bet with you that Southampton fall away next season to their mean.. They've done great this season but I don't see them doing it next year when the pressure and expectation kick in.. When teams show them more respect
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16943: Apr 21, 2015 10:48:46 pm
      I wonder though, with Gerrard and Johnson going this summer, I might make his first team selection easier! I felt he was afraid to drop these experienced guys

Maybe, who knows, but looking back at our season, I recall so many people questioning Rodgers' decisions, his tactics etc, but most people seem to have forgotten them and deflecting so much hate towards FSG rather than looking at why we failed miserably on many occasions on the pitch.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16944: Apr 21, 2015 10:50:01 pm

I am not obsessed with it at all it is what it is HSC.

We can compete for a short time then we will rebuild and start all over again.

Get a team of talented Raheem Sterlings and we will do great up to the point that they cost too much to keep and then rinse/repeat.

It's not an indictment of FSG, and I am not calling them thieves it is simply reality.

Without spending like the others we will simply rely on luck, sometimes it will get you 2nd in the league; sometimes it will get you knocked out of Europa.

Don't care who the manager is if your solely going to rely on luck or even doing it better than the guys above you (being smart) then there will be inconsistencies year in and year out; that is an inevitability.

Southampton is doing great this year, just like we did great last year, clock is right twice a day.

Next year Southampton may find itself fighting to stay up, I doubt Chelsea will.

Trying to be smarter than the rest of the pack is easier said than done; I don't think those above us in the table are fools.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16945: Apr 21, 2015 10:50:05 pm

My point was with their spend they should be fighting relegation.

Yet when we have spent £220M over 3 years it's still not enough, let's face it buddy we have bought rubbish but it's nothing new we have been doing it for the last decade.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16946: Apr 21, 2015 10:53:27 pm
      There's that there luck again.

People underestimating them..

I'd lay a bet with you that Southampton fall away next season to their mean.. They've done great this season but I don't see them doing it next year when the pressure and expectation kick in.. When teams show them more respect

I think your being a bit disrespectful to De Boer mate, he is a good coach and plays attractive football the way it should be played. Nothing to do with luck, they have hardly been nicking the odd goal and clinging on for dear life.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16947: Apr 21, 2015 10:55:37 pm
      I think your being a bit disrespectful to De Boer mate, he is a good coach and plays attractive football the way it should be played. Nothing to do with luck, they have hardly been nicking the odd goal and clinging on for dear life.

Koeman?

It's not disrespect at all mate.. I'm full of respect for what they have done..

But you often see stories like this where they find it more difficult second season round
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16948: Apr 21, 2015 10:58:54 pm
      Koeman has had more than his share of managerial flops. He's done well this year, but that's his usual pattern; well the first year and then fairly poorly afterwards.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16949: Apr 21, 2015 11:01:41 pm

I am not obsessed with it at all it is what it is HSC.

We can compete for a short time then we will rebuild and start all over again.

Get a team of talented Raheem Sterlings and we will do great up to the point that they cost too much to keep and then rinse/repeat.

It's not an indictment of FSG, and I am not calling them thieves it is simply reality.

Without spending like the others we will simply rely on luck, sometimes it will get you 2nd in the league; sometimes it will get you knocked out of Europa.

Don't care who the manager is if your solely going to rely on luck or even doing it better than the guys above you (being smart) then there will be inconsistencies year in and year out; that is an inevitability.

Southampton is doing great this year, just like we did great last year, clock is right twice a day.

Next year Southampton may find itself fighting to stay up, I doubt Chelsea will.

Trying to be smarter than the rest of the pack is easier said than done; I don't think those above us in the table are fools.

Why are Chelsea running away with the league despite having the 3rd highest spend on wages?
      They spent big previously and have built a core of quality players who make sure they are constantly challenging for Top 4.

We had a once in a life time opportunity with the Suarez money last year but spunked it up the wall on mediocre English premier league proven players.

No doubt we can expect the same next season with Rodgers with the likes of Milner and Ings.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #16950: Apr 21, 2015 11:05:04 pm
      Koeman?

It's not disrespect at all mate.. I'm full of respect for what they have done..

But you often see stories like this where they find it more difficult second season round

Not sure wher De Boer came from mate, losing the plot  ;D

Quick Reply