Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2804190 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20079: Oct 12, 2015 04:00:30 pm
      We aren't going to buy Lewandoski.

Holy crap, he'd cost what, 65 or 75M? No way FSG is sanctioning a move like that.

The money from the TV deal is coming in this year, I'm not saying they'd sanction that kind of money but if he agitated a move away do you actually think he'd cost that much?

I think he's nearer the ÂŁ50m bracket, the problem might be that Barca are also sniffing around. Honestly though if we were going to break the bank for anyone it would be Muller, diamond of a player I almost like him more than Reus in terms of ability and when injuries are thrown into the mix there's a clear winner if you were going to make that statement of intent.

There's no denying our focus and soundbites have shifted from young/potential to experienced and quality. When were we last linked with the likes of Lewandowski, Reus, Gundogan, Neves, Aubameyang.

Granted it is obviously the Klopp factor too, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the owners allow him one player he absolutely wants above all others. There's a reason why we have debt facilities on the club, they've surprised us with this announcement and bought themselves a little bit of grace maybe they fancy upping the ante a little.

As I said, I doubt it very much, but while the mood of hope and optimism is so high I'm not going to drag it down by saying never.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6422 
      Reply #20080: Oct 12, 2015 04:33:29 pm
      The money from the TV deal is coming in this year, I'm not saying they'd sanction that kind of money but if he agitated a move away do you actually think he'd cost that much?

I think he's nearer the ÂŁ50m bracket, the problem might be that Barca are also sniffing around. Honestly though if we were going to break the bank for anyone it would be Muller, diamond of a player I almost like him more than Reus in terms of ability and when injuries are thrown into the mix there's a clear winner if you were going to make that statement of intent.

There's no denying our focus and soundbites have shifted from young/potential to experienced and quality. When were we last linked with the likes of Lewandowski, Reus, Gundogan, Neves, Aubameyang.

Granted it is obviously the Klopp factor too, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the owners allow him one player he absolutely wants above all others. There's a reason why we have debt facilities on the club, they've surprised us with this announcement and bought themselves a little bit of grace maybe they fancy upping the ante a little.

As I said, I doubt it very much, but while the mood of hope and optimism is so high I'm not going to drag it down by saying never.

I just think if Sterling is worth 50m, then Lewandowski is likely worth much more than that. Proven top class scorer. I just can't see them shelling out that much for a player. I do think the quality of player we are linked with has definitely improved in some respects, but from what I understand, Klopp has never been a guy to go throw a bunch of money at an established star, he's used to working on a budget and developing players?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20081: Oct 12, 2015 05:03:59 pm
      I just think if Sterling is worth 50m, then Lewandowski is likely worth much more than that. Proven top class scorer. I just can't see them shelling out that much for a player. I do think the quality of player we are linked with has definitely improved in some respects, but from what I understand, Klopp has never been a guy to go throw a bunch of money at an established star, he's used to working on a budget and developing players?

There are different reasons other than ability as to why City chose to pay ÂŁ50m for Sterling. They were/are low on home grown talent and they wanted that player to fit into their team/starting 11 immediately, Sterling fit the ball. English players always go for more because the quality ones are few and far between and clubs in the Prem have a quota to fill unlike most other major European leagues.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20082: Oct 12, 2015 05:36:22 pm

Get your point but as Mcarz says there is a serious English/young tax. It sounds wrong to suggest they would go for a similar price but I believe they would.

You rightly suggest that's he's more accustomed to buying cheaper players with potential and coaching them up to a standard, still doesn't change the fact that his spending did increase as the budget of Dortmund did. I think he will still spend plenty and with his connections to such world class players at Dortmund it would feel almost absurd if we don't target one or two of them.

There's the press release from the Dortmund official stating that he wont be back, that's simply running scared. There's also JĂźrgen confirming it, we had the same with Swansea and Brendan. It will happen if the player indicates that he is willing to agitate for a move.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #20083: Oct 12, 2015 10:39:15 pm
      A german Sterling going from one German team to another costs 25 million at most. There is a 'he's young and English' add on to that fee for sure.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #20084: Oct 14, 2015 04:05:57 pm
      FSG, ok, Now we're getting serious about everything, thank you for going for it. You picked the right person. You actually listened to the fans. I will cease my mockery of FSG from henceforth.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20085: Oct 14, 2015 06:19:14 pm
      FSG, ok, Now we're getting serious about everything, thank you for going for it. You picked the right person. You actually listened to the fans. I will cease my mockery of FSG from henceforth.

They listened to the fans when they sacked hodgson and appointed KK.

In fact, they keep giving the fans what they want, their preferred manager, stadium upgrades, plenty of cash spent on players, huge increases in commercial revenue, but it's never enough for some.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20086: Oct 14, 2015 07:03:26 pm

yes they have at last.They didnt listen when they sacked Kenny they didnt listen when we wanted Rafa back. So after 5 years they seem to be getting something right and in Klopp its a massive game chaning decision and I applaud them for it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20087: Oct 15, 2015 06:35:15 am
      Five years ago today NESV (FSG) bought Liverpool fc. 4 managers and one cup later have we made progress?

Obviously Klopp is a huge improvement on Hodgson.

Work is underway to expand Anfield

Arguably the team is slightly better than it was 5 years ago?

Reina,  Johnson, Konchesky, Carra , Agger Meireles, Gerrard,  Cole, Lucas Torres Kuyt

Mignolet, Clyne , Moreno, Sakho, Skrtel,  Henderson, Milner, Coutinho,Lucas, Sturridge, Benteke.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20088: Oct 15, 2015 12:13:48 pm
      Five years ago today NESV (FSG) bought Liverpool fc. 4 managers and one cup later have we made progress?

Reina,  Johnson, Konchesky, Carra , Agger Meireles, Gerrard,  Cole, Lucas Torres Kuyt

Mignolet, Clyne , Moreno, Sakho, Skrtel,  Henderson, Milner, Coutinho,Lucas, Sturridge, Benteke.

The team is debatable, but the squad is definitely stronger imo.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20089: Oct 15, 2015 02:33:01 pm

just look at the calibre of player who have gone real strong characters. Other than a shed load of goals Luis was a massive player for us as he gave the team a huge physical presence we need more big characters in the team.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20090: Oct 15, 2015 04:01:35 pm
      just look at the calibre of player who have gone real strong characters. Other than a shed load of goals Luis was a massive player for us as he gave the team a huge physical presence we need more big characters in the team.

I agree mate, although under Klopp it may actually be an advantage, with players accepting without question his methods and instructions. "Milner run two km's more ".... " yes boss" may be the way forward until Klopp can bring in a higher quality player.

I think the problem we have as supporters is we have very few players to look to now for big performances where once we had quite a number.  I think we have to look to the big performance coming from the team now rather than from certain players. The obvious problem with this is that when things do go badly in a match we have few game changers who can inspire the team and turn a match around that is running away from us.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #20091: Oct 15, 2015 06:55:40 pm
      Jesus Christ you think Bayern will even entertain a bid from anyone? No hope.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #20092: Oct 15, 2015 08:38:21 pm
      In fairness to FSG they appointed Klopp and have backed away from the media.

I hope the penny has dropped and will now pay for quality over quantity.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20093: Oct 15, 2015 10:02:45 pm
      They have brought arguably one of the 3 best Managers in the world to this club.
      Gave the last manager 300m to spend in 3.5yrs.
      Finally the stadium is well underway after 2 decades of talk.

Trophies will come.

Hopefully we will go from strength to strength and reep the rewards of such an amazing Coo that is JĂźrgen... Make no mistake here lads, FSG have gone and got one of the top 3 best managers in the world...

They have done fine in my eyes and I am glad they are here.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20094: Oct 15, 2015 11:28:44 pm

Quickly comparing the two and with only giving the two a quick glance; Pepe, Clyne, Carra, Agger, Meireles, Gerrard, Coutinho, Lucas, Torres, Sturridge.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #20095: Oct 16, 2015 05:58:21 pm
      Good on yer (FSG).I wonder if they made an "early" move for Klopp due to the discontent at the "Bridge"?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #20096: Oct 20, 2015 01:22:53 pm
      Spirit of Shankly Analysis - 5 Years on Under FSG
      It is five years since FSG took control of Liverpool FC and a good time to look at what's happened since. On 15 October 2010, ownership of our club was determined by the High Court in London and supporters could begin to put the nightmare of Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s tenure behind them and look forward to life with new custodians from Boston.

David Moores’ decision to sell Liverpool, in 2007, was prompted by his belief only new owners and major investment could fund a much-needed new stadium in Stanley Park. Unfortunately, the sale to Hicks and Gillett eventually threatened the actual viability of the club and delivered nothing more than hugely expensive drawings and the fabled spade-in-the-ground-in-60-days promise.

Finally, after years of deliberation, it was decided LFC should remain at Anfield and FSG have embarked upon expansion of the existing stadium. Yet, questions remain.

The Main Stand development won’t come close to meeting season and general-admission ticket demand, although there is hope that an anticipated increase of the Anfield Road End will help some of those waiting to join a 25,000-strong season-ticket waiting list, currently closed to new applicants. Meanwhile, supporters have expressed fears that the completed expansion will make improvements to other stands, particularly the cramped Lower Centenary, impossible. The final capacity also does little to address the issue of an ageing matchday support and lack of access for younger fans – most poignantly those from the Liverpool area.

FSG introduced tiered ticket pricing three seasons before even one stand was appropriate for ‘stretch pricing’. Spirit of Shankly have voiced concern that the introduction of higher priced tickets in certain areas of the ground has done nothing to alleviate the financial burden on fans. In addition to facing Category A prices at every away game, home supporters face an average ticket price of £45.74 – 52% higher than the Premier League average of £30. Even the cheapest tickets at Anfield, £37.50, are 25% higher than the Premier League average. The club’s none-too-impressive record of just one Champions League campaign under FSG was compounded by the club charging the highest ticket prices in the group stages. And it is still not possible for youngsters to buy an under-16 concessionary ticket unless a full-price adult ticket is bought at the same time. As a consequence, Spirit of Shankly has welcomed the formation of the Ticket Price Working Group and will continue to work with the club and other supporter representatives to deliver lower ticket prices.

Much is made of the relationship our new manager, Jürgen Klopp, had with supporters of his former club Borussia Dortmund, particularly those who make up the “Yellow Wall” on the Sudtribune. All Liverpool fans hope we can replicate this on the Kop at Anfield and bring back the atmosphere we once took for granted. However, it costs just €16,70 to stand on the Sudtribune, and a maximum €54,40 for a Category 1 halfway-line seat. There are €10,90 concessions and seats at €21,90 for under 18s. It is clear, Dortmund’s success was a result of more than Klopp’s technical prowess in the dugout.

Liverpool are, undoubtedly, in better financial shape than they have been for a long while. The Hicks-and-Gillett shaped hole in the club’s accounts has been filled and commercial revenue is healthy and growing. The club live within their means and the threat of financial failure, or administration as faced in 2010, will not rear its head under FSG stewardship. Spirit of Shankly’s concern is that FSG’s ownership model limits the club’s potential to grow and regain its place at the top of the game. In fact, by retaining the benefit of the club’s capital growth for their own purposes, such as providing a stake for Lebron James in order to facilitate a deal with Fenway Sports Management, FSG are also living within the club’s means.

This approach precludes the release of equity, created by LFC growth and driven by LFC resources, to benefit the club itself. The value of the club sits on FSG’s balance sheet to provide leverage for their business, not to generate investment for Liverpool. This position was confirmed when a proposal to release equity to contribute towards the stadium redevelopment by way of a share issue to supporters – tabled by Spirit of Shankly  at the LFC Supporters Committee – was rejected point blank.

So five years on, we have FSG’s third managerial appointment; more than £402million spent on players, almost £280million recouped on sales; and a solitary top-four position. The club are in a better place commercially, but supporters are paying more than ever and those from Liverpool’s working-class neighbourhoods pay the world’s highest ticket prices proportionate to household income.

FSG have benefitted from obtaining the club in what amounted to a fire sale; and continue to benefit from the growing value of the club on their balance sheet. Spirit of Shankly believe that we the supporters and the club should share this financial well-being, supporters through lower ticket prices, the club through equity to fund investment. 

Let us all, the fans and the club, live within our means.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/lfc-5-years-on-under-fsg
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20097: Oct 20, 2015 01:37:08 pm
      Its an expensive business supporting most EPL teams. I would be skint all the time If I was going to matchdays down south.

Given the amount of TV money the EPL clubs get, they should be able to reduce match day tickets a lot.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20098: Oct 20, 2015 02:09:54 pm
      Its an expensive business supporting most EPL teams. I would be skint all the time If I was going to matchdays down south.

Given the amount of TV money the EPL clubs get, they should be able to reduce match day tickets a lot.

I think the away fans should be subsidised by the club. A few family members and friends travel everywhere and its hugely expensive yet can you imagine the atmosphere in grounds if there was no away support especially ours
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20099: Oct 20, 2015 02:46:30 pm
      I think the away fans should be subsidised by the club. A few family members and friends travel everywhere and its hugely expensive yet can you imagine the atmosphere in grounds if there was no away support especially ours

Not for me thanks.
      Cheaper home tickets are more important imo.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20100: Oct 20, 2015 03:31:46 pm
      Not for me thanks.
      Cheaper home tickets are more important imo.

cheaper tickets across the board, home and away, with the new tv deal, 20 is definitely plenty !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20101: Oct 20, 2015 03:39:53 pm

Agreed, but all match going fans shld be getting better deals.

Quick Reply