Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2787167 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #31510: Sep 04, 2022 12:23:37 pm
      You could argue he's just a good a coach as Jürgen.

You can’t be serious mate.

He’s done a fantastic job at Brighton but come on.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,598 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31511: Sep 04, 2022 12:24:21 pm

I'm not sure what the point of posting this is. Nobody is saying spending money = success.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,598 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31512: Sep 04, 2022 12:27:04 pm
      No, the conversation is you suggesting a Liverpool fan has a spoilt attitude and they shouldn’t raise concerns because we’ve won trophies in recent seasons.

Too many people get it twisted too. I don’t know of one Liverpool fan who wants to spend the type of money city, Chelsea or United do.

But what we do expect is for our owners to strengthen in areas that need strengthening and to not leave us short.

Midfield is a problem. We all knew it was a problem. Jürgen knew it was a problem and said so himself weeks ago. And we sign an injury prone player on loan on deadline day? It’s not good enough for a team that should be challenging for the title.

Ox, naby and Curtis Jones are still on our books because we won’t invest in a new midfield. To a lesser extent, Milner is too.

Think the majority of fans agree with this.
      Some are intent on going off an tangents to throw of the essense of that point, for whatever reason.
      But Jürgen has pretty much said as much, and most are with him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,598 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31513: Sep 04, 2022 12:29:37 pm
      Hiring Potter wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world to be fair.

Solid PL mid table manager.

Think we need to set our sights higher.

Management post Jürgen though is thankfully a ways off, but w.r.t. FSG backing, we should've set our sights higher some time ago.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #31514: Sep 04, 2022 12:31:28 pm
      Guess depends on who comes in - we used to do succession very well

Whoever comes in will have an easier job than Jürgen too, because they will have a world class group of players to work with straight away. Unlike Jürgen who had Joe Allen, Benteke etc and had to start from scratch.

But I’m struggling to think of a manager who will be able to compete at the highest level year in, year out, on a sell to buy policy who has pull power to attract the likes of Thiago and Van Dijk, the ability to coach youngsters or average footballers to maximise their ability and transform them into world beaters, all while keeping the changing room happy and having a real togetherness and team spirit.

Time will tell I suppose.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #31515: Sep 04, 2022 12:33:00 pm
      I'm not sure what the point of posting this is. Nobody is saying spending money = success.

Beg to differ.

Some people think spending money is the only way to success.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #31516: Sep 04, 2022 12:39:23 pm
      You can’t be serious mate.

He’s done a fantastic job at Brighton but come on.

I am serious.

The question around him really is how he handles the next step up.

Jürgen proved he could after he left Mainz but can Potter?

Only time and opportunity will tell I suppose.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #31517: Sep 04, 2022 12:42:26 pm
      I am serious.

The question around him really is how he handles the next step up.

Jürgen proved he could after he left Mainz but can Potter?

Only time and opportunity will tell I suppose.

Graham Potter isn’t as good of a coach as what Jürgen Klopp is.

Seen some bad shouts over the years but that’s up there.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,198 posts | 3478 
      Reply #31518: Sep 04, 2022 12:42:27 pm
      Whoever comes in will have an easier job than Jürgen too, because they will have a world class group of players to work with straight away. Unlike Jürgen who had Joe Allen, Benteke etc and had to start from scratch.

But I’m struggling to think of a manager who will be able to compete at the highest level year in, year out, on a sell to buy policy who has pull power to attract the likes of Thiago and Van Dijk, the ability to coach youngsters or average footballers to maximise their ability and transform them into world beaters, all while keeping the changing room happy and having a real togetherness and team spirit.

Time will tell I suppose.
      When the time comes there will be options and the club will be in a better place to attract the top managers and top players

It’s at least 3 years away so I’m not sure it’s worth worrying about
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #31519: Sep 04, 2022 12:44:58 pm
      Graham Potter isn’t as good of a coach as what Jürgen Klopp is.

Seen some bad shouts over the years but that’s up there.

Not saying he's better. Not saying Jürgen isn't a great coach.

Just at the level Potter is at now for me he's showing he's just as good a coach as Jürgen and the other top managers.

Didn't think it was that out there to think that to be fair but hey ho.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #31520: Sep 04, 2022 12:55:43 pm
      Not saying he's better. Not saying Jürgen isn't a great coach.

Just at the level Potter is at now for me he's showing he's just as good a coach as Jürgen and the other top managers.

Didn't think it was that out there to think that to be fair but hey ho.

I know you didn’t say he’s better. You said he’s as good as. And he isn’t.

Graham potter couldn’t have possibly done the job at Liverpool than what Jürgen Klopp has. They are truly levels apart. Despite Potter being a very good manager and doing a very sound job at Brighton.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #31521: Sep 04, 2022 01:00:09 pm
      I know you didn’t say he’s better. You said he’s as good as. And he isn’t.

Graham potter couldn’t have possibly done the job at Liverpool than what Jürgen Klopp has. They are truly levels apart. Despite Potter being a very good manager and doing a very sound job at Brighton.

I guess we'll never know and agree to disagree.

I suppose we should also get back on topic as well.

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 302 
      Reply #31522: Sep 04, 2022 01:01:08 pm
      There are a lot of strong opinions on this thread from the 2 extreme sides of the argument. I personally think that FSG are fairly good owners and we are in a better place than almost all other fans in the Prem League, English or European football. The ownership could obviously be better but we don't live in an ideal world, we live in a capitalist society where money is number 1 for most people, including FSG.

In the last 5 years we have been 1 of the 3 best teams in club football with City and Real Madrid, ahead of Chelsea, Munich, PSG and a few other very rich teams.
      Is that 100% due to Klopp? No, IMO. He's obviously the number 1 reason but there are many other factors. The owners have contributed to creating a club/business that has got the most out of Klopp and other people. While improving the team we have moved to a new training ground, expanded the capacity of Anfield and managed the Pandemic without taking on crazy loans.

At some point, hopefully many years away, Klopp will leave and we need to transition to a new manager. United and Arsenal failed to manage this after Fergie and Wenger left but we managed this well from Shankly until Dalglish, unfortunately not with Souness. Managing the transition will be the next big test for FSG.

John Henry and FSG are not perfect, I would prefer  more player investment. But I prefer them to a mega rich oil state with dodgy human rights record. I am aware that they are mega rich people who probably play golf with Trump but 99% of rich people are probably c*nts.

I'm not going to get into the constant arguments on this thread. I think it probably just encourages people to be more extreme for or against FSG.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #31523: Sep 04, 2022 01:06:46 pm
      There are a lot of strong opinions on this thread from the 2 extreme sides of the argument. I personally think that FSG are fairly good owners and we are in a better place than almost all other fans in the Prem League, English or European football. The ownership could obviously be better but we don't live in an ideal world, we live in a capitalist society where money is number 1 for most people, including FSG.

In the last 5 years we have been 1 of the 3 best teams in club football with City and Real Madrid, ahead of Chelsea, Munich, PSG and a few other very rich teams.
      Is that 100% due to Klopp? No, IMO. He's obviously the number 1 reason but there are many other factors. The owners have contributed to creating a club/business that has got the most out of Klopp and other people. While improving the team we have moved to a new training ground, expanded the capacity of Anfield and managed the Pandemic without taking on crazy loans.

At some point, hopefully many years away, Klopp will leave and we need to transition to a new manager. United and Arsenal failed to manage this after Fergie and Wenger left but we managed this well from Shankly until Dalglish, unfortunately not with Souness. Managing the transition will be the next big test for FSG.

John Henry and FSG are not perfect, I would prefer  more player investment. But I prefer them to a mega rich oil state with dodgy human rights record. I am aware that they are mega rich people who probably play golf with Trump but 99% of rich people are probably c*nts.

I'm not going to get into the constant arguments on this thread. I think it probably just encourages people to be more extreme for or against FSG.

Great post mate and agree that the transition will be the biggest hurdle.

After what seems to be happening now going from one great side into hopeful another.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,198 posts | 3478 
      Reply #31524: Sep 04, 2022 01:22:12 pm

Great post 👏
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,424 posts | 803 
      Reply #31525: Sep 04, 2022 01:43:09 pm

A very fair, balanced and articulate post. I Would disagree with your point about 99% of "Rich" probably being Cnuts. This is a slightly lazy worldview, there are loads of shitty rich people and there are loads of shitty less well off people....tragically some of them causing absolute misery on the streets of our great city.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 302 
      Reply #31526: Sep 04, 2022 01:58:37 pm
      A very fair, balanced and articulate post. I Would disagree with your point about 99% of "Rich" probably being Cnuts. This is a slightly lazy worldview, there are loads of shitty rich people and there are loads of shitty less well off people....tragically some of them causing absolute misery on the streets of our great city.

A good point, I don't know any mega rich people so it's probably just a personal prejudice.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #31527: Sep 04, 2022 02:21:42 pm

I think people also forget that at the time of the sale it was basically fsg or Peter Lim, and those in charge of the sale chose fsg. Peter Lim went on to buy Valencia and it has not exactly turned out well for them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #31528: Sep 04, 2022 03:05:13 pm
      Scouting isnt near perfect, we’ve wasted a lot of money as well in ox and keita, furthermore, scouts also identify players in the market that can improve on current players ala henderson and milner who have always been technically limited, so no, its not near perfect

We have done well, am not asking us to spend 200 million every summer but we could have bought the last 4 summers, nearly wc players or huge potential players to push on the first team, we’re not spoilt and am sorry but if the club what me to spend sh*t loads on shirts and merchandise, as a fan i would like to see investment in the squad

For the past 4-5 years we’ve heard how commercially we’re growing and overtaking utd, how masses of fans globally are watching lfc friendlies, yet we have a worse transfer spend to income then we did under moores

Its not one bad window, we’ve had a few - summer 2019, jan 2021, summer 2021, summer 2022, squad is practically the same

One final point, this squad has produced because of the wc performances of individuals such as vvd, salah, mane etc, yet has carried players to an extent to such as ox, keita, henderson, even winjinaldum smetimes, imagine going 3-4 seasons straight and not seeing improvements in the players behind you in midfield, would you feel motivated to go again

Its a football forum, you wanna talk about how life is tough, moan about the cost of living crisis

You do know Keith is a Man U fan!! :lmao:

Scouting has been F***ing brilliant. How can you even say "isn't near perfect" that fact we've got that right is what has allowed us to challenge.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #31529: Sep 04, 2022 03:06:11 pm
      I think people also forget that at the time of the sale it was basically fsg or Peter Lim, and those in charge of the sale chose fsg. Peter Lim went on to buy Valencia and it has not exactly turned out well for them.

Possibly because Peter Lim was lying about what finances he had and is also a manc supporting c**t too!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31530: Sep 04, 2022 03:47:21 pm
      You're going to have to break this one down for me Walt.

Yep, me too, I’m struggling to see how we would end up £400m in debt when we are currently debt free, and profits taken when FSG decide to go, go with them ?

The fact is, IF Jürgen WANTED IN a new midfielder this summer he knows he DOES’NT have to go to FSG with his begging bowl, the funds would be made available, now we can all argue until we’re blue in the face whether that’s the correct way to conduct business for transfers or not, it’s how it is and Jürgen seems happy enough with it, he’s certainly no Conte at Spuds throwing his toys around is he ?

It certainly looks from the outside that FSG are as tight as a Goldfishes poop chute, and obviously a lot of us do too, the exact opposite of the oily lot, and we are DEBT FREE, Totally, so it’s a fine balancing act we’re talking about where the ‘Amount’ we spend or don’t on transfer’s?

Personally I don’t think Jürgen seen the current injury worries about to happen, otherwise he would have acted sooner, and perhaps brought in a player who was a better fit than Arthur, we all know new signings have to be the right signing or they don’t happen, Arthur Melo is probably the closest we could get at such a late stage,

Said this all before, be careful what you wish for, I’d much rather have this model of ownership rather than that of the Glazer’s that’s for sure, as for the oliy lot, no thanks, I want my club to build teams thru sheer hard graft and working together as one, and not buy our successes, fraudulently or otherwise,

Our club’s history tell us and everyone else it’s not a bad model to follow, and but for the oily lot and other oligarchs we would have had many more titles & tin to back it up, we’ve already seen the back of one tyrannical Zillionaire in Abramovic disappear into obscurity, but he was suckin Putin’s boaby so not bothered one iota, he’s not missed as much as some Ukrainian families are !!

I guess this particular debate will rumble on and on and on, I’m guessing for the most part that it’s a clash of footballing cultures, with the old school fuckers like your truly wanting traditional values, and the more modern ‘football manager’ fans want immediate success and who gives a F**k what we spend !!

Y  N  W  A
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #31531: Sep 04, 2022 04:03:08 pm
      If you're going to blame them for failure...then you also have to credit them them for success.....We win together...we lose together.
      They are businessmen, it is a business and they have obligations to deliver dividends to shareholders. The more success the club has increases that share price, so I'm not convinced they want to run it into the ground...quite the opposite, they need to reinvest in it in an effort to keep it successful. It's a complex balance.

Totally agree with you. Me post was trying to be funny. I’m sure a few minority would think the way I’ve posted. It’s reasonable for the business owners to get a return on their investment. Totally normal.

But what’s thrown the normal fan off course were owner funded transfers like Chelsea and City which proved very successful. Fans saw it and liked the model. Expected us to keep up with their model. But our owners ain’t going down that route. Each time we fail to win, the blame goes to the owners for their lack of spending or support for the manager.

We moan on these boards as if we have the power to make FSG spend more if we have said enough. In truth the posts wouldn’t change anything. Except facilitate an outlet to express our frustrations.

But yeah if we don’t win, it’s always frustrating. Some of the witch-hunt would target the owners. Normal fan behaviour.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #31532: Sep 04, 2022 04:24:36 pm
      Totally agree with you. Me post was trying to be funny. I’m sure a few minority would think the way I’ve posted. It’s reasonable for the business owners to get a return on their investment. Totally normal.

But what’s thrown the normal fan off course were owner funded transfers like Chelsea and City which proved very successful. Fans saw it and liked the model. Expected us to keep up with their model. But our owners ain’t going down that route. Each time we fail to win, the blame goes to the owners for their lack of spending or support for the manager.

We moan on these boards as if we have the power to make FSG spend more if we have said enough. In truth the posts wouldn’t change anything. Except facilitate an outlet to express our frustrations.

But yeah if we don’t win, it’s always frustrating. Some of the witch-hunt would target the owners. Normal fan behaviour.

But one of the arguments for the FSG supporters is that the club will only ever spend what it makes, which is fine, it keeps the club secure, but surely we’ve generated enough money over the past 5 or 6 seasons with all of our success that we don’t need to continue with a sell to buy policy? The money should be there. And if it’s not, where is it?

If there’s no money in the pot, then isn’t that poor running of the club? If there is nothing there then that means we’re relying/gambling on securing top four every season and reaching the latter stages of the competition which we consistently do.

Another argument from FSG supporters for why we don’t sign players is that we will continue to wait to land a certain player, the latest one being Jude Bellingham. Why couldn’t we sign him now? If that’s who klopp desperately wants why don’t we support him and go and get him? People can say all they want dortmund wouldn’t sell but that’s rubbish. If we turned up with the money then we’d get him. It happens everywhere. Every player has a price.

What if we don’t even get him? And we’ve potentially wrote this season off...for what? And is Jude Bellingham the only midfielder in the world who can improve our midfield? Thiago aside, it’s not as if we’ve had world class midfielders during Klopps time here. We’ve had hard working professionals in there who do a job. So is that not poor running of the club that we never look at any other players but instead become obsessed with one target who we might not even sign anyway?

Quick Reply