Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2790165 times
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #34776: Aug 30, 2023 11:59:52 am
      Endo was signed to be a stop gap like we did Kabak, someone that comes in and gets the job done. I guess better than no one, but we would be lying to ourselves here to assume that he's part of a rebuild to the midfield. Endo is not better than Fabinho and not even Milner, whereas Macca/Szobo are a clear upgrade over what we had before.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34777: Aug 30, 2023 12:43:27 pm
      Endo was signed to be a stop gap like we did Kabak, someone that comes in and gets the job done. I guess better than no one, but we would be lying to ourselves here to assume that he's part of a rebuild to the midfield. Endo is not better than Fabinho and not even Milner, whereas Macca/Szobo are a clear upgrade over what we had before.

No f***in sh*t Sherlock!!
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Reply #34778: Aug 30, 2023 02:30:28 pm
      Our rivals are fixing their holes and here we are in a rebuild doing nothing. Even United are getting a back up LB/DM. We need a CB/DM and with 2 days left until the transfer window is shut and nothing is being done
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #34779: Aug 30, 2023 02:42:03 pm
      Our rivals are fixing their holes and here we are in a rebuild doing nothing. Even United are getting a back up LB/DM. We need a CB/DM and with 2 days left until the transfer window is shut and nothing is being done

And yet we're unbeaten this season, we're in the top four, we're above clubs with so called "world class" midfielders, we're two points off the leaders, we're in a position where if we win all our games we win the League, we've already been to two grounds that people said we'd be lucky to get a point from and have come away with four.

I tell you what, there's a F***ing load of clubs who'd love to be in our position.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Reply #34780: Aug 30, 2023 03:54:16 pm
      And yet we're unbeaten this season, we're in the top four, we're above clubs with so called "world class" midfielders, we're two points off the leaders, we're in a position where if we win all our games we win the League, we've already been to two grounds that people said we'd be lucky to get a point from and have come away with four.

I tell you what, there's a F***ing load of clubs who'd love to be in our position.

City going b2b pl/cl. I can feel it. Making smart signings. Oil money yadda yadda but their signings are actually smart.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #34781: Aug 30, 2023 03:58:05 pm
      City going b2b pl/cl. I can feel it. Making smart signings. Oil money yadda yadda but their signings are actually smart.

Whoopty F***ing do for City.

I feel we're gonna win the League. And I'm gonna enjoy the good start to the season, which was already written off by so many divvies.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #34782: Aug 30, 2023 04:01:24 pm

It's as if FSG are helping our rivals cos they're sure as F**k they're not helping us!

Seems like a ridiculous statement but their inactivity only helps our rivals.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,659 posts | 7151 
      Reply #34783: Aug 30, 2023 04:07:21 pm
      as Jürgen said we are going to need luck to get through this season with suspensions and injuries because we could be very exposed early on if things go wrong for the lads. Strange how some posters have lately turned to defending FSG quite bizarre really. Whilst doing business behind closed doors is always good having nothing at all in the press about possible signings is worrying
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Reply #34784: Aug 30, 2023 04:16:19 pm
      It's as if FSG are helping our rivals cos they're sure as F**k they're not helping us!

Seems like a ridiculous statement but their inactivity only helps our rivals.

Disgusting that City are having a bigger rebuild than us despite winning the treble last season. If we won the treble, we wouldn't have signed anybody for the next 3/4 transfer window.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Reply #34785: Aug 30, 2023 04:19:56 pm
      as Jürgen said we are going to need luck to get through this season with suspensions and injuries because we could be very exposed early on if things go wrong for the lads. Strange how some posters have lately turned to defending FSG quite bizarre really. Whilst doing business behind closed doors is always good having nothing at all in the press about possible signings is worrying

This forum has few top reds that are hostile to anyone who doesn't share their opinion. They resort to insulting you rather than argue with your points.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,922 posts | 443 
      Reply #34786: Aug 30, 2023 04:44:51 pm

I feel we're gonna win the League. And I'm gonna enjoy the good start to the season, which was already written off by so many divvies.

And if we finish 5th again you'll be the div. Let's hope it's us who are wrong!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #34787: Aug 30, 2023 04:49:29 pm
      Disgusting that City are having a bigger rebuild than us despite winning the treble last season. If we won the treble, we wouldn't have signed anybody for the next 3/4 transfer window.

We won the league albeit with some incredible luck with injuries and in spite of the world and his wife saying a rebuild was the only option - FSG did F**k all.
      Jürgen did sell to buy but building on success never happened and the manager was left to flounder once again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #34788: Aug 30, 2023 04:52:00 pm
      And if we finish 5th again you'll be the div. Let's hope it's us who are wrong!

Difference is, I'm not arsed about looking like a div.

Too many people would rather be right than support their club.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,758 posts | 863 
      Reply #34789: Aug 30, 2023 05:09:42 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts because all the symptoms that we still haven't found a solution to our problems are there despite the very good number of points collected in such circumstances. I'm personally very happy with our start to the season, but there's a difference between being happy and being blind. Sure we have our resident ''FSG Out'' members on here that regularly bring back everything to FSG, but its also not a reason to take the diametral opposite stance and refuse any criticism of how the club has been conducting its business. If we were this perfect we'd be the ones winning the league season after season and we'd certainly had not crashed the way we did last season.

Ever since De Zerbi broke our press last season in the 3-3 draw and subsequent 3-0 loss we still haven't found a way to impose said press on teams that employ De Zerbi's tactics or similar ones to it against us (which is the majority of the league at this point).  The three games we played had huge warning lights on about this as we struggle to impose our press and also struggle to recover the ball once its lost, hence the possession numbers we saw against Chelsea and Newcastle.

Part of this is on Klopp as he has to reinvent himself and his system in order to give the team a solution to the way teams have been approaching us recently, but part of it is also attributable to the lack of quality being brought in certain key positions. The DM is an example as we need someone who can tackle and run for days all while being strong on the ground and the air (minimum requirements) and we also need someone who is as solid as Konate is on that right side to play the LCB position. Those two areas are not helping Klopp.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,922 posts | 443 
      Reply #34790: Aug 30, 2023 05:10:00 pm
      Difference is, I'm not arsed about looking like a div.

Too many people would rather be right than support their club.

If I'm wrong I'll be delighted to be wrong. Just pisses me off that more could have been done to help the manager.

I'll make do now if we can keep the squad in tact with Mo still a Liverpool player when the Saudi window shuts on 8th Sept.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #34791: Aug 30, 2023 06:12:30 pm

Don't worry, I'll enjoy it all the way to May. Hopefully at some point some of those who are slitting their wrists right now can learn to enjoy the success of Liverpool Football Club as well.

because all the symptoms that we still haven't found a solution to our problems are there despite the very good number of points collected in such circumstances.

Well we have found a solution of sorts because we've turned two games on their head, coming from behind to claim all three points and done it both times with ten men. Rather than showing no fight, no passion, no desire, we've actually won those games. Only once in 2023, before this season, had we won from a losing position. Twice in two games already this year. That's finding a solution to a problem. Now, ideally, we'd find a solution to going behind in the first place.

I'm personally very happy with our start to the season, but there's a difference between being happy and being blind.

I'm not being blind. I know we're short in certain areas of the squad, I know we're struggling in certain areas on the pitch, I know we're unlikely to achieve what I think we will. But you know what, so F***ing what. It does no good to anyone in the club to be crying and moaning about what we haven't got and instead support what we have. But too many don't want to do that, they'd rather cry like self-entitled cu*ts and then when we do actually have success they disappear - hence the post-match thread after Newcastle. People all game whinging about how we need this, we need that, we need the other and then suddenly we take three points and they don't once post in that thread.

Sure we have our resident ''FSG Out'' members on here that regularly bring back everything to FSG, but its also not a reason to take the diametral opposite stance and refuse any criticism of how the club has been conducting its business.

Again, I'm not refusing any criticism of how the club has conducted it's business. I think we've been poor in the transfer window on the whole. The business with Caicedo and Lavia was comical and if it was any other club then I'm sure I'd be laughing at them. But it isn't, it's Liverpool. It's my club. And I don't take every opportunity available to slag my club off. As I said in the post above, it does no good crying about what we haven't got. Instead, I'll support what we have. It may not be ideal, it may not be as much as I'd like us to have signed this summer but it is what it is so I'll support the club.

If we were this perfect we'd be the ones winning the league season after season and we'd certainly had not crashed the way we did last season. 

We haven't been perfect for the last 12 months, though this time last year we were coming off the back of just about missing out on the quadruple by two poxy games. That's as close to perfect as you can get without being perfect. Last season was a poor showing from top to bottom and it's not one that I'll sit back and remember fondly. But like every other year in our past, it's in the past. We're in the today. And so far this season, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as those wrist slitters were saying it would be before a ball had been kicked.

Ever since De Zerbi broke our press last season in the 3-3 draw and subsequent 3-0 loss we still haven't found a way to impose said press on teams that employ De Zerbi's tactics or similar ones to it against us (which is the majority of the league at this point).

But we're 14 games unbeaten in the League. So whatever tactic we're coming up against recently, we seemed to have found a way to pick up points. 14 games isn't down to luck.

The three games we played had huge warning lights on about this as we struggle to impose our press and also struggle to recover the ball once its lost, hence the possession numbers we saw against Chelsea and Newcastle.

But we took four points from those games. So again, whether we're struggling to impose ourselves the way we once did or not, we're currently finding a way to get the result and ultimately that's the most important thing in football. It's a results business. And so far this season, only one club has a better points return than us. Of course over the entire season that could change drastically. But despite the Mystic Megs amongst us, nobody knows how the season will play out. So instead of crying what might happen, let's focus on what has - and what has is we've taken 7 points from a possible 9, when a lot of people said we'd be lucky to get anything from Stamford Bridge or St James' Park.

Part of this is on Klopp as he has to reinvent himself and his system in order to give the team a solution to the way teams have been approaching us recently

And he is trying to do just that. He's 14 games without defeat in the League, which coincides with the change of role for Trent. He's trying to find a solution and 14 games unbeaten suggests that somewhere along the line he has found some sort of solution. Of course there's still problems but our solutions are currently outperforming the problems in my opinion. 7 points from 9 would back that up.

but part of it is also attributable to the lack of quality being brought in certain key positions.

Or rather the percieved lack of quality. People thought bringing in Gakpo was a lack of quality because he didn't hit the ground running but it soon proved that actually he can have a pivotal role in our attack. People thought Nunez was a lack of quality because he wasn't a clinical finisher from the word go and missed too many chances but he ended up as our second top scorer last year behind Salah and has started this season with two goals in three games. So before we start talking about a lack of quality brought in, let's actually wait and see if they do lack the quality that people say.

The DM is an example as we need someone who can tackle and run for days all while being strong on the ground and the air (minimum requirements)

And we might have that in Endo. While he hasn't set the world alight in two outtings (bare that in mind, two) he's only just arrived and there's a list as long as your arm for people who haven't shone instantly in this Liverpool side and have gone on to achieve greatness. But nah, instead let's just write the lad off because it suits the slit the wrist brigade.

we also need someone who is as solid as Konate is on that right side to play the LCB position. 

So you say. But as I've said all summer long (cue some Kid Rock), what we say we need doesn't actually mean it's what Jürgen thinks we need. And the chances are that Jürgen sees no need to replace Van Dijk any time soon - whether that's right or wrong is up for debate and I've said that I think Virgil has been on decline for a long time now. But as far as I can tell, Jürgen is not planning on finding anybody to replace our number 4 as of right now, even with the suspension. Not because he hasn't got the financial muscle to find a replacement but because he doesn't want to find a replacement right now as he is happy with Van Dijk. That could be bollocks, as could this entire post because I don't know what Jürgen is thinking deep down but that's how it looks from the outside.

Those two areas are not helping Klopp.

But they've helped us to go 14 games unbeaten. They've helped us turn two losing positions into winning ones already this season. They've put us within touching distance of City, albeit after just three games. They've got us in the be all and end all of modern football of fourth place, albeit after just three games. For all the faults that we've supposedly got, and I think we've got a lot more than most believe me, something is working. And the longer it continues to work, the happier I will be. I don't think I can say that for some on here.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,659 posts | 7151 
      Reply #34792: Aug 30, 2023 06:29:19 pm
      grasping at f***in straws saying we are in touching range of City after just 3 game OMG. City have now spent over  £200mil and have become very good at selling players at a good price too. Not a chance we can keep up with them unless we for go all other comps other than the League.
      the league table taken from Jan still sees us in 5th place whilst Villa would be second to City with us 14 points behind City the evidence is there for the need to rebuild as the entire World could see apart from a few people on this forum who know better.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34793: Aug 30, 2023 06:48:12 pm
      So we have money to spend.
      But yet seem to have figures we're prepared to spend on each individual player, and absolutely no more.
      So if the priority is:
      a- getting the player
      b- getting the player at what FSG believe is the right price, otherwise not happening

then it's going to be b]
      Jürgen has said before he wants us to risk more. Don't see that happening.

Find it hard to believe the main problem with bringing in players is not  on the money side.
      Again.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,384 posts | 1542 
      Reply #34794: Aug 30, 2023 07:14:22 pm
      What surprised me is, all the doom mongers seem to have, not only inside knowledge of what is actually going on in the inner sanctuary of the club, but also what Jürgen is, or has been thinking 🤷‍♂️

Just stunning 😂😂
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 302 
      Reply #34795: Aug 30, 2023 07:53:36 pm
      Perhaps wilderness is a bit of an exaggeration walt, we did win the occasional cup despite real title challenges being few and far between - but when I see people arguing here that the club is in decline I cant agree. We are only one season removed from a cup double and yet another 90+ point title race.

Like Klopp said once, I would like us to take more risks sometimes in the transfer market, but blaming FSG for us not winning more over recent years doesn't paint the full picture. If we don't sign anyone else this summer its not on FSG - it's because the recruitment team (including Klopp) have not found someone they want who is available. The money is there, for better or worse we saw that during the Caicedo saga. It's down to the actual day to day decision makers at the club to make a deal - not JWH or FSG.

I think that there is to much focus on FSG, LFC and what we do. The club is currently trying to work within a recent football environment that was very dysfunctional with City and other clubs cheating FFP. Within the current environment LFC (including FSG) have done a very good job of completing while protecting the long term sustainability of the club.
      None of us can predict the future and a lot of people are pessimistic but City have been charged with FFP breaches, Newcastle, Man United and other clubs appear to be generally staying within the rules. I'm optimistic about the future, I don't think that the football authorities will ever be perfect but I don't think another club will be able to get away with large scale cheating like City.  It's frustrating that we probably missed out on 2 titles during the City dominance.

I will always prioritise the long term sustainability of the club over short term success bought  with risky spending and I think that FSG are competent owners.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,209 posts | 3478 
      Reply #34796: Aug 30, 2023 08:25:54 pm
      What’s all the crying about now ?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,210 posts | 1645 
      Reply #34797: Aug 30, 2023 08:48:21 pm
      If we can get Gravenberch in that will be a great summer for me.

I’ve felt for ages and it became apparent last year we have needed a huge refresh and not just the odd tweak. Everyone complained last year about the midfield and was calling for all of players to go at one point or another. 

Getting Milner, Keita, Ox, Hendo, Bobby & Fab out the door and bringing in 4 new midfielders would certainly achieve that refresh.

The thing we need to make sure of in future is we don’t let the squad grow old together and try get every drop out before moving them on.

Realistically we have refreshed the forward line over the last few seasons, midfield has been massively shook up this summer and next year the focus needs to be on defence.

Cracking start to the season and a squad that should have a lot more hunger and legs than last year.

I’m off to Fenway Park soon, if I see John Henry I’ll tell him my thoughts 😅
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #34798: Aug 30, 2023 08:53:45 pm

And why the F**k is that genius?

They're owners are faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr more F***ing richer than ours. Hence they were having rebuilds while Pep was still originally building his team!!

Wind your neck in with your F***ing crying, you're  completely embarrassing yourself.

Quick Reply