Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Jamie Carragher
      (10.9%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (77.3%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (6.7%)

Everton 2:0 Liverpool - In game & post match disgust

Read 83513 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Everton 2:0 Liverpool - In game & post match Disgustion
      Reply #943: Oct 17, 2010 05:01:19 pm
      It's a simple idea, with the formation we use, that we need to be pressing the play, but Roy seems to have us playing in our own half, far too much.

As usual, like any other games before this and he still feels we are playing great football.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #944: Oct 17, 2010 05:02:11 pm
      I wouldn't blame him leaving in all honesty.

The man doesn't look happy and this current manager is simply not getting the best out of him with the limited tactics that he uses.
      Its like buying a Buggati Veyron, and then putting a limiter on it to stop it going faster than 20mph thereafter. Why own it in the first place?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #945: Oct 17, 2010 05:03:11 pm
      Gutted.

Missed the match as I was working on the house, but followed the score.

Whilst I'm not surprised given our form this season, something has got to be do NOW to start changing this around.

We are a big club with big players, that are being poorly directed and are lacking motivation.

Get Roy out. Hate to say it that bluntly, but get shut of him.

Get a man in with a plan, who knows how to make a top club play.

Sick of this.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #946: Oct 17, 2010 05:04:11 pm
      Embarrassed is how I'm feeling right now.

Everton took the piss out of us today and Roy smiled at the end, at least he can go and have a drink with his mate Dave, just like he can go and have a drink with his mate Sam, when Blackburn come and take the piss at Anfield.

We look clueless, no ideas, no invention, no f**king service to Torres, who just looks lost and isolated up front on his own, the defence gets worse with each passing game and the midfield has absolutely no width and the passing gets worse.

It's becoming a sick joke!!  

that's exactly how it feels Everton fans shouting 'your're going down' at least Reds fans shouted it back! crap
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #947: Oct 17, 2010 05:05:05 pm
      As usual, like any other games before this and he still feels we are playing great football.
      Either as someone already suggested his specs need changing, or could it be that (well sorry to be the stuck needle here), but the man is CLUELESS! Either that or he is going senile, take your pick.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #948: Oct 17, 2010 05:05:28 pm
      4 Everton fans on the forum voting for Maxi I see...
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #949: Oct 17, 2010 05:06:33 pm
      I will never forgive him. Who's joining me? He caused us to lose to the blueshites. Which player doesn't want to win? Therefore, it's his fault. I've had enough of him!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #950: Oct 17, 2010 05:06:37 pm
      How Roy can say we played well... if that is how he wants us to play he has to go
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #951: Oct 17, 2010 05:10:12 pm
      I will never forgive him. Who's joining me? He caused us to lose to the blueshites. Which player doesn't want to win? Therefore, it's his fault. I've had enough of him!

Yep gotta say I agree now.  I was just thinking when Spurs were in a similar position they acted very quickly!
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #952: Oct 17, 2010 05:10:56 pm
      We were okay in patchs but that's not good enough at this level. Hope the owners saw enough to realise that we need to invest in January.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #953: Oct 17, 2010 05:13:49 pm
      Well according to Roy:

We went camping. We asked questions. We lost four out of eight games.

Say no more.

We have gone from a 50% win rate under Rafa to a 50% loss rate under Roy.

You may not think you should be made accountable for this Roy but you no longer have excuses.
      The cloud has lifted. We should move on now and that means getting a manager with the right credentials to lead a team aiming for titles

vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #954: Oct 17, 2010 05:14:06 pm
      Everton 2-0 Liverpool: scrappy Merseyside derby won by the side with more creativity

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3026/eveliv.jpg

New owners, but a familiar poor performance for Liverpool, as Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta’s goals won the match.

Everton started with a 4-4-1-1 formation – Johnny Heitinga in midfield alongside Arteta, with Seamus Coleman on the right and Leon Osman across on the left. Phil Jagielka was declared fit, and Yakubu started upfront.

Liverpool’s shape was broadly similar, but the main story was that Steven Gerrard started behind Fernando Torres, with Raul Meireles deeper. Paul Konchesky was fit but Glen Johnson was not, so Jamie Carragher moved to right-back.

The game started in fairly typical Merseyside derby fashion – lots of tackles flying in, no midfielders being allowed time on the ball, and little technical quality from the flair players. Heitinga was high up the pitch compared to his positioning against Manchester United, being well involved in the midfield battle.

Fernando Torres looked to make runs off the back of Sylvain Distin rather than Jagielka, whilst Gerrard was finding some space between the lines, but was rarely receiving any good service. Yakubu started the game brilliantly, using his strength to shrug off challenges, both holding the ball up and running towards goal.

Difference in winning ball back

The two sides have different natural tendencies. Roy Hodgson likes his sides to sit back and quickly form two banks of four, waiting for opposition sides to come onto them before breaking up attacks in the last 20-30 yards of the pitch.

Everton are more proactive at winning the ball, pressing higher up the pitch with a more energetic form of defending. This style lent itself well to this fixture – a frenetic, high-tempo battle – and Everton were simply much better at putting pressure on Liverpool players and gaining possession in more advanced positions

This can be observed in the Chalkboard below (if you click on the link you can see these, make for interesting viewing) – Liverpool intercepted a pass only once in the opposition half, whilst Everton did so six times, four of which were in the opening twenty minutes. There are other ways to win possession through pressing, of course – by tackling or by forcing the opponents into misplaced passes, for example – but this shows the difference in mentality nicely.

Coleman the only player who took players on

Liverpool’s wide players played extremely narrow, always looking to come inside into the centre of the pitch, rather than going down the outside and taking full-backs on. Joe Cole is currently very predictable – he doesn’t have the confidence to dribble with the ball, nor to shoot from difficult angles – and doesn’t have the left-footed quality to get to the byline on his left flank. Therefore, he constantly receives the ball in decent positions, cuts onto his right foot and sends in a cross. Granted, one of these found Torres for a headed half-chance that was tipped over by Tim Howard, but in general his approach brings little to the side.

Maxi Rodriguez on the other flank was similarly coming inside, though he prefers short passes rather than long crosses. The concerning statistic here is that despite coming into the centre, he didn’t complete a single pass to Torres, which makes you wonder quite what is job is, if he is neither getting crosses in nor linking up with the main striker. On the other hand, he defends very well.

For Everton, Osman was on the ‘wrong’ side but kept width well, only coming inside to allow Baines forward – but there was a stark difference between Coleman and the three other wide players on the pitch – they all wanted to come inside and pass, whilst he wanted to take people on and get balls into the box. He created the opening goal with this attitude – he beat two men and got a cross in, and Cahill arrived typically late and smashed the ball into the net.

Liverpool disjointed

Liverpool didn’t have cohesion between the lines, particularly with regard to Torres and the midfield. The problems with he and Maxi have already been outlined, but in truth the whole Liverpool side was playing too deep, meaning he had no-one to link up with, and the service to him often consisted of hopeful long balls. His ‘challenges’ chalkboard below is a sea of red dots; two factors – Torres’ lack of sharpness and the poor service to him can take roughly equal blame. The more the game went on, the more Torres and Gerrard dropped deeper towards the other eight players, when the eight should have been coming towards them.

There was a simple lack of creativity and invention from Liverpool’s attacking players. Gerrard did not have a poor game – his passes were forward-thinking and he got himself into good positions. Meireles also did OK – nothing spectacular, but for the player that he is (basically a box-to-box midfielder) he gave a sound performance. In fact, no Liverpool player was singularly disastrous, there just seemed to be a lack of confidence and a lack of a cutting edge overall. The Chalkboard of Liverpool’s passes is remarkable – it’s as if there is an invisible brick wall 25 yards out across the width of the penalty area.

Everton reslience

Of course, focusing purely on Liverpool’s failings overlooks the good defensive job Everton did. The second goal, an Arteta toe-poke after a corner, seemed to settle the game early in the second half. They dropped deeper as the game went on, fairly confident they could withstand Liverpool pressure. With the Everton wide midfielders given more of a defensive task, and asked to track Liverpool’s wide players to a greater extent, space often opened up for crosses from Konchesky and Carragher, but these rarely threatened.

Everton defended solidly but it was far from a vintage performance – it would be fair to say that they didn’t play anything like as good football as in the defeat to Aston Villa, for example, but this game was more about winning tackles and closing down rather than playing pretty football.

Credit should go to "The Chosen One" for a brave late substitution – when Liverpool were really starting to dominate with 15 minutes left, Moyes removed a midfielder (Arteta) and introduced a striker (Jermaine Beckford), and although Beckford’s touch and finishing still look short of Premier League level, the injection of pace and fresh legs upfront meant Everton pushed Liverpool back, easing the pressure.

Conclusion

The game was won by the better side. Everton were superior both with and without the ball, and a rare moment of individual brilliance resulted in the crucial first goal. Everton jump up into midtable, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if, as in the previous two seasons, they recover from a slow start to become a real force by the end of the campaign.

Liverpool’s woes continue, and the alarming aspect of this performance was the overall lack of confidence and creativity from the side, rather than poor individual displays. At least Gerrard and Meireles are being used the right way around and the centre of midfield had a decent feel to it – the trio passed the ball well and Liverpool are better without Christian Poulsen.

The main problems are with Torres and the two wide players – no confidence and little goal threat.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/10/17/everton-2-0-liverpool-tactics/
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #955: Oct 17, 2010 05:14:37 pm
      I have enough of this Roy having this nice guy image, he has taken that image to the pitch every game and has cost us to lose every game in a very embarassing manner. We have become the laughing stock, I want a hard man in the name of Hiddink. Even West Broom's manager not that bad either, at least he'll get us to play attacking football. >:(
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 05:20:28 pm by redkop63 »
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #956: Oct 17, 2010 05:14:55 pm
      My question is, what stage should we reach before it begins to affect his health? I am not hoping he gets sick or anything but the point I'm trying to bring out is, there's no life or emotion coming from him at all. I'm wondering if its nervous system, it's like everything is neither here nor there. He's not emotionless, his heart isn't with Liverpool he's just bitter. Well here's a scathing remark - He's more dodgy than dodgeball, more clueless than clueless, less articulate than Audley Harrison...other than all the poor movies atleast the latter knows to win a losing fight but Hodgson just rolling over. 
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #957: Oct 17, 2010 05:16:47 pm
      How Roy can say we played well... if that is how he wants us to play he has to go
      Well said, cannot fathom how anyone can watch our performance and say that it was anything close to 'good'.
      What a load of balls! Wait, those are the things Roy would have to have to make the right decision, accept he is in over his head and tender his resignation. If he had those, he certainly wouldn't be prone to hyperbole, and make statements that frankly make no sense, and worse make a nonsense of the intelligence level of 'Pool fans! 
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #958: Oct 17, 2010 05:20:25 pm
      We were okay in patchs but that's not good enough at this level. Hope the owners saw enough to realise that we need to invest in January.
      We were okay in patches? Please pray tell, what patch would that have been?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #959: Oct 17, 2010 05:22:08 pm
      Is still smilin coz at the end of the day we're still Liverpool Football Club, we're still England's most successful side, we're still the only side in England to have won 5 European Cups, we're still the only side in England to have won 3 UEFA Cups, we're still the only side in England to have won 7 League Cups, no side has won more League Titles than us and we're still the best club in the whole dam F***ing world.

Well said DLS

I know as some of you have said, that does make our current situation look more dire, but it makes me realise that we're that big a club, we can't possibly be down there for long.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #960: Oct 17, 2010 05:22:28 pm
      I can't get over the fact that Roy thought that was a good performance... that that is how he wants us to play... :f_wah:

I'd respect the man if he said "It was a poor performance, we will improve in Italy and at Anfield next week" but no... he was happy with the performance.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #961: Oct 17, 2010 05:23:09 pm
      watching blackpool vs city .getting more gutted  seeing blackpool , play with such passion and commitment and most of all playing ATTACKING football.where is that  with us
       BTW the score still 0-0
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #962: Oct 17, 2010 05:25:00 pm
      Just back from the match. What can I say we had lots of the ball but not much threat. Torres was winding me up little effort to be honest. Gerrard did ok but we lack pace when closing down. Konchesky should of blocked the cross for the first.  Having said all that it's the best we have passed the ball this season no conciliation but hey every cloud.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #963: Oct 17, 2010 05:25:29 pm
      watching blackpool vs city .getting more gutted  seeing blackpool , play with such passion and commitment and most of all playing ATTACKING football.where is that  with us
       BTW the score still 0-0

Its now 1-0 to City who undeservedly took the lead to a lucky goal that was also offside too.

Blackpool have been all over City playing with pride & passion, wish teh same could be said about us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #964: Oct 17, 2010 05:25:43 pm
      Well said DLS

I know as some of you have said, that does make our current situation look more dire, but it makes me realise that we're that big a club, we can't possibly be down there for long.

Sad thing is I bet Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Newcastle fans all the said the same.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #965: Oct 17, 2010 05:26:08 pm
      I can't wait for next season's Merseyside Derby!

Liverpool v Tranmere Rovers.

Quick Reply