Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Shankly and Roy the anti Shankly

Read 4984 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Shankly and Roy the anti Shankly
      Oct 26, 2010 06:00:27 pm
      Bill Shankly told you that you were priviledged to play for this club and these fans and you believed it why wouldnt you. Roy tells you that you were crap in the World cup and infact our entire squad is crap and he will have to fix it.
      Which team sent the most players to the World cup in South Africa Liverpool with 12 that is half the first team squad good enough to play in the World Cup finals.
      So who would you want to play for Bill Shankly who made you feel like you could run through a brick wall or Roy who tells you that you are crap but he might be able to save you.
      Answers on a postcard to.
      Stating the bleedin obvious.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Shankly and Roy the anti Shankly
      Reply #1: Oct 26, 2010 07:58:16 pm
       Sadly Roy will never be able to do the one thing that Bill Shankly could do for the players,MOTIVATE them.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #2: Oct 26, 2010 08:14:40 pm
      They shouldnt even me mentioned in the same breath...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3: Oct 26, 2010 08:20:50 pm
      Shanks motivation even went as far as telling Ron Yeats we would be 1st Div champions with him in the team despite being in the old 2nd division.
      The point I make is a serious one we had more players at the world cup than any other team 12 infact. So were doe she get off telling everyone our squad is awful and Torres stank at the world cup. It is for me another example of someone being completely out of their depth. When Shankly took over he would have every right to slag off the team he inherited a lot of them were well past there sell by date but he didnt tell them that he used what he had availabe and got the best out of it that is the sign of a good man manager Roy take note.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010 02:45:31 pm by waltonl4 »
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #4: Oct 26, 2010 08:25:22 pm
      Torres was pants in the world cup and our squad is awful. Plus didn't he give Pachecco and Shelvey hope in getting first team starts as well. Now in what I have seen of Shelvey this season it gets me quite excited (not in a gay way) bit disappointed Danny has not featured more though.

Plus wasn't Shankley very friendly with the united manager At the time and didn't we as a club treat him like sh*t when he retired. People only seem to remember what they want to.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #5: Oct 26, 2010 08:28:38 pm
      Firstly his name is Shankly not Shankley his mate ex Liverpool player Sir Matt Busby was a gentleman unlike his modern day counterpart.
      Why don't you go and find some other people to annoy you are becoming very tiring.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #6: Oct 26, 2010 08:31:11 pm
      So are the repeated posts on the same thread as you fail to comprehend the term debate. Perhaps the next time you start one you add a caveat that you can only post on it if they agree with you.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #7: Oct 26, 2010 08:39:16 pm
      The squad we have is above average but nothing special, we had 12 players at the world cup, but looking at the way we played the first 8 games we were shocking, and what is that down to tactics = manager. Sunday we played 10 yards further up field and pressed a little more, the fans have been saying this for weeks, Why has the manager not seen this. The only reason i can see is he isn't up to the job
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Oct 26, 2010 08:39:21 pm
      Now now kids. Please stay on topic and leave the bickering out of threads.

On topic, thinking back to how Shankly was, at the minute, saddens me because of the picture Hodgson is painting.

But in reality, while Hodgson's comments are not in line with how we would expect a Liverpool manager to speak, comparing him to Shankly is unrealistic. The man was a legend, a true innovator and a complete and utter one off.

Realistically though, we'd at least expect him to bat off talk of our star striker going to United with as much venom he used to bat off rumours he was going to be replaced by Rijkaard. :roll:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #9: Oct 26, 2010 08:39:41 pm
      Its hard to debate with a blinkered 12 yearold as everybody else can attest to. You have a very limited knowledge of Liverpools history and it would do you no harm if you went away for awhile and read up on the subject you are trying to debate. Have you ever heard of Sir Matt Busby.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Oct 26, 2010 08:41:08 pm
      Its hard to debate with a blinkered 12 yearold as everybody else can attest to. You have a very limited knowledge of Liverpools history and it would do you no harm if you went away for awhile and read up on the subject you are trying to debate. Have you ever heard of Sir Matt Busby.

I'll let you off as you posted 20 seconds after me, but...

Now now kids. Please stay on topic and leave the bickering out of threads.

On topic, thinking back to how Shankly was, at the minute, saddens me because of the picture Hodgson is painting.

Thanks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11: Oct 26, 2010 08:48:15 pm
      Sorry but I cant let Shankly's name go unchecked come on. Surely we must have some standard and historical knowledge of this club.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #12: Oct 26, 2010 08:49:53 pm
      Walton are you deliberately baiting. If you want to discuss my age and length of time supporting the club we can do that all night but I suggest you take the mods advice as you have quite clearly disregarded his comment twice on here and then gone baiting on separate thread.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #13: Oct 27, 2010 12:49:40 am
      Torres was pants in the world cup and our squad is awful. Plus didn't he give Pachecco and Shelvey hope in getting first team starts as well. Now in what I have seen of Shelvey this season it gets me quite excited (not in a gay way) bit disappointed Danny has not featured more though.

Plus wasn't Shankley very friendly with the united manager At the time and didn't we as a club treat him like sh*t when he retired. People only seem to remember what they want to.

Your knowledge of the great man does seem limited, apart from the highly contentious issues you raise you can't even spell his name, do you see your glaring error or would you like me to enlighten you?
      You are either dyslexic or on a wind up and I rather think the latter applies.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010 12:59:51 am by stuey »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Oct 27, 2010 08:20:17 am
      Torres was pants in the world cup and our squad is awful.

*YAWN - As ever lad, in your quest to antagonise and irritate, you have purposely missed the point.

Shankly motivated players by making them feel proud and invincible, irrespective of ability, Roy has (time and again) undermined his own players. That's the rationale behind walton's, very valid opening post.

Now, either you haven't got the mental capacity to understand that or you are, in fact, a petty, irritating, WUM intent on agitating. Possibly both.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: Oct 27, 2010 08:41:38 am
      Firstly his name is Shankly not Shankley his mate ex Liverpool player Sir Matt Busby was a gentleman unlike his modern day counterpart.
      Why don't you go and find some other people to annoy you are becoming very tiring.
      Sir Matt Busby also played for Liverpool and the poster who spelt Bill Shankly wrong should be hung drawn and quartered,I am just glad he did not make the Shankly Gates.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Oct 27, 2010 01:11:55 pm
      Hey anyone can make a mistake with spelling Shankly (;D - if you know what I'm reffering to)

AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #17: Oct 27, 2010 01:25:59 pm
      Bill Shankly told you that you were priviledged to play for this club and these fans and you believed it why wouldnt you. Roy tells you that you were crap in the World cup and infact our entire squad is crap and he will have to fix it.
      Which team sent the most players to the World cup in South Africa Liverpool with 12 that is half the first team squad good enough to play in the World Cup finals.
      So who would you want to play for Bill Shankly who made you feel like you could run through a brick wall or Roy who tells you that you are crap but he might be able to save you.
      Answers on a postcard to.
      Stating the bleedin obvious.

Shankly obviously, but times change and Skankly was great with the team he built and left for Paisley to nurture and Roy is average with the team he has inherited and I hope intends to address come January.

I have to say I am a bit upset by everyone getting on Roy's case so soon, he has made a huge jump from Fulham and obviously there will be challenges for him (like winning) but can you honestly say that he is the WORST manager we could have had.  I think sometimes fans can be fickle (and I include myself) but now the future looks brighter with NESV and the best excuse we have is that it's Roy! come on some of his methods are questionable, but it's not all down to him as I'm sure the players will admit.

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #18: Oct 27, 2010 01:34:08 pm
      No doubt about it, Shanks was a legend, and woy shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

Let's not forget though, that like another manager of ours, he always demanded better, but it was THE WAY that he demanded better that got the best out of his players.

Let's also not forget that he was known to completely ignore players who were injured - so he wasn't all sweetness and light.

Even though he could be hard, he always had our best interests at heart.

woy only has his own best interests at heart which can be seen in his interviews - I mean come on, how self serving is it to mention that he spoke to the Italian press in italian. Are we supposed to be impressed? Can you imagine Rafa bragging about speaking to the english press in english?
      Everything about woys statements is designed to big himself up, and to put others down, making it seem as though he has a much more difficult job than he really has.

Shanks would have eaten him for breakfast, ridiculed him and then thrown him out on his ear...
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #19: Oct 27, 2010 04:40:58 pm
      Shankly obviously, but times change and Skankly was great with the team he built and left for Paisley to nurture and Roy is average with the team he has inherited and I hope intends to address come January

I do hope that was unintentional  :-\

Anyway back on topic, spelling mistakes and threats of bodily harm aside, Bill Shankly was a no nonsense, superior motivator with a superior set of players at his disposal that later on Sir Bob came to inherit.

Woy is a tactically inept, motivationless spaz who inherited a team bereft of confidence and not playing well. Then went and bought Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky. I rest my case.

The gulf between the two managers is obvious.

Oh, and Fernando Torres WAS pants at the World Cup, although it depresses me to say so.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #20: Oct 27, 2010 05:37:41 pm
      I do hope that was unintentional  :-\

Anyway back on topic, spelling mistakes and threats of bodily harm aside, Bill Shankly was a no nonsense, superior motivator with a superior set of players at his disposal that later on Sir Bob came to inherit.

Woy is a tactically inept, motivationless spaz who inherited a team bereft of confidence and not playing well. Then went and bought Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky. I rest my case.

The gulf between the two managers is obvious.

Oh, and Fernando Torres WAS pants at the World Cup, although it depresses me to say so.
      For the last F***ing time Torres was nowhere near fully fit at the world cup.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #21: Oct 27, 2010 05:38:38 pm
      So by rights he shouldn't have gone then should he?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #22: Oct 27, 2010 05:43:08 pm
      So by rights he shouldn't have gone then should he?
      No he shouldnt i agree, Spain were wrong to pick him. However im sure Torres wanted to play even if he wasnt fully fit. Unfortunately for us, him going to the world cup rather than completing his rehab and being 100% fit for the start of this season has contributed to him putting in some pretty poor perfomances so far(although i think the main reason is the manager's tactis but thats for another thread).

Quick Reply