Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Dudek seals Real deal.

Read 3619 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Dudek seals Real deal.
      Jul 12, 2007 08:24:59 pm
      Link - http://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=476483

Real Madrid have snapped up Jerzy Dudek on a free transfer as back-up to Iker Casillas following his release by Liverpool at the end of last season.

The Polish international was linked to Bolton and Manchester City, but was always keen on trying his hand in Spain.

Bernd Schuster gave the green light to complete the deal for the Pole after he finalised deals for central defenders Pepe and Christoph Metzelder, who arrived from Porto and Borussia Dortmund respectively.

Madrid have been after a new keeper following the sale of highly-rated youth team product Diego Lopez to Villarreal for €6million last month.

Dudek was released by Liverpool after six seasons on Merseyside as he was unable to earn a regular place in the team ahead of Jose Reina.

Having spent the last two seasons playing second fiddle to one Madrid-born custodian, Dudek will now perform the same task in the Spanish capital itself.

Casillas is the undoubted number one, but the club's technical staff wanted experienced cover rather than to promote a keeper from their youth team.

A fairytale ending for the Hero of Istanbul.
      Best wishes Jerzy, and lets hope you'll bag a few more medals in the future.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Dudek seals Real deal.
      Reply #1: Jul 12, 2007 08:56:14 pm
      Real Madrid have got a real bargain there, always liked Jerzy and he always produced when up against the odds, good luck mate and thanks for the happy memories especially Isanbul  :champ: :scarf: 
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 12, 2007 09:06:53 pm
      ive always liked him at liverpool sad to see him leave but good luck for him at madrid
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jul 12, 2007 09:10:01 pm
      Yeah, good luck to the Dude-K. He goes down in Liverpool history forever now.
      Although he had some ropey moments he made up for it with some brilliant goalkeeping at times - more than enough. Here's to hoping he gets his chance! You never know, he might end up facing us in the European Cup sometime....

Here's a little reminder of Jerzy doing the biz for us in Istanbul. Along to the sound of The Beatles - Twist And Shout.
      Length 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD_wbQlvPgU
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Jul 12, 2007 09:16:20 pm
      Yeah, good luck to the Dude-K. He goes down in Liverpool history forever now.
      Although he had some ropey moments he made up for it with some brilliant goalkeeping at times - more than enough. Here's to hoping he gets his chance! You never know, he might end up facing us in the European Cup sometime....

Here's a little reminder of Jerzy doing the biz for us in Istanbul. Along to the sound of The Beatles - Twist And Shout.
      Length 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD_wbQlvPgU

Really enjoyed that RK, got goosebumps again watching Istanbul. I think Shevchenko must hate him cos he couldnt get a ball past him !!    ;D
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 12, 2007 09:18:35 pm
      Yeah good look Jerzy n thanks for Istanbul that double save n those penalty antics i,m gettin goose pimples just thinking about it. There could be one person glad to see the back of you though, a certain Mr Chavchenko.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Jul 12, 2007 09:23:58 pm
      Really enjoyed that RK, got goosebumps again watching Istanbul. I think Shevchenko must hate him cos he couldnt get a ball past him !!    ;D

Same here Smiggs!! I watched it three times before I posted it  :D :D

Yeah good look Jerzy n thanks for Istanbul that double save n those penalty antics I,m gettin goose pimples just thinking about it. There could be one person glad to see the back of you though, a certain Mr Chavchenko.

Absolutely Slimdog! I think it's a case of "there will be one person", rather than "there could be one person"  ;) ;D
      Cy
      Reply #7: Jul 12, 2007 10:33:14 pm
      That is great news for Dudek, I would never imagine that he would join a side like the Real madrid, not that I don't rate him as a goalkeeper but I would expect him to join a side middle table..Good luck to him, the miracle of Liverpool, the Miracle of Dudek indeed...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #8: Jul 13, 2007 02:18:04 am
      I'm pleased for Jerzey for a few reasons.

He is a decent bloke who has had some hard times towards the end of his Liverpool career.

*There was the arrival of Pepe Reina to contend with. Rafa didn't sign a new keeper with the intention of keeping him on the bench, the writing was on the wall.
      *Dudek was famously robbed of his 2005 Champions League winners’ medal when his house was burgled in June 2006. Earlier this year and 26-year-old businessman Martin Roche was later arrested and given a nine-month jail sentence after over £23,000 worth of football medals and shirts belonging to the Polish goalkeeper were found in his house. He was on holiday in Poland when thieves took his Porsche car, jewellery and football memorabilia, including his European Cup medal. bas**rds!  >:(
      *Playing Jerzey as a "Cup keeper" obviously did his confidence no good - conceding 11 goals in 3 games. Whilst not being at fault for all those goals he was responsible as the last line of defense.

2006/2007 Season Stats
      08-11-2006   English League Cup   Birmingham     0-1    Liverpool
      05-12-2006   European Cup           Galatasaray    3-2     Liverpool
      06-01-2007   English FA Cup          Liverpool         1-3    Arsenal
      09-01-2007   English League Cup   Liverpool         3-6    Arsenal
      24-02-2007   English Premier         Liverpool         4-0    Sheff Utd
      28-04-2007   English Premier         Portsmouth     2-1    Liverpool

*And to top it all he was injured for the final home game of the season against Charlton where it was his desire to play and say a big thank you to the Liverpool faithful whilst wearing his team's colours for the final time.

A shame really, that's how it panned out for him. But, as anyone who watches football around the world will know, it was Jerzey Dudek who saved the day with his heroic goal-keeping in the most unforgettable European Cup Final ever on that special, special night in Istanbul on 25th May 2005.

Here is a tribute to Jerzey Dudek -
      Worthington Cup Winner 2003

Champions League Winner 2005

Good luck in all you do Jerzey, you contributed to possibly the happiest night of my life so far,
      may you have many more! 
      :'( :scarf: :champ: :gt-happyup: YNWA

Liverpool FC.tv Tribute
      Whatever the future may hold for Jerzy Dudek it's doubtful his career will ever scale the heights of that glorious night in Istanbul on 25 May 2005.

It was Dudek's goalkeeping heroics that helped secure a never-to-be-forgotten fifth European Cup triumph at the Ataturk Stadium, ensuring that his name will forever be etched in Liverpudlian folklore.

The son of a Polish miner, Dudek was signed from Feyenoord by Gerard Houllier on a dramatic deadline day swoop in August 2001. Fellow keeper Chris Kirkland joined on the same day but it was the big Pole who was immediately handed the chance to stake his claim for the number one shirt.

Renowned for his bravery and strong reflexes, his early form was impressive but a high-profile howler that contributed to a home defeat against Manchester United blotted his copy-book.

He was eventually forgiven by the Liverpool fans for that misdemeanour against their bitter rivals but when he made a similar error in the same fixture three years later it seemed as though his reputation would be permanently stained.

It was going to take something special for Dudek to redeem himself in the eyes of the fans and a man-of-the-match performance in the Worthington Cup Final triumph over United later that season went some way towards that.

It was not until the 2004/05 season reached the most dramatic of climaxes, however, that his past sins were finally forgotten.

His stunning double reflex save from Andriy Shevchenko when the score was tied at 3-3 has deservedly gone down as one of the greatest saves ever, while his antics in the subsequent penalty shoot-out mean he'll now always be looked upon in the highest esteem by everyone connected to this club.

His penalty saves from Pirlo and Shevchenko inspired a pop song to be recorded in his honour but just weeks after his heroics in Istanbul a new goalkeeper was brought to the club and Dudek made just 12 more appearances in the first team.

If he was to play on until he's 100 it's unlikely he'll ever eclipse the high of Istanbul but the memories will never fade.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007 02:22:10 am by RED1028 »
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #9: Jul 13, 2007 05:18:47 am
      thanks for the great memories dudek....but why go to a team where u will also be sitting on the bench??
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #10: Jul 13, 2007 05:48:31 am
      A great tribute to a great servant to Liverpool. All the best for the future Jerzy and thanks for the many great memories. You will never be forgotten as the hero of Istanbul.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: Jul 13, 2007 12:20:56 pm
      All the best with Real Jerzy. Over the course of a season he might not have been reliable enough, but he definately pulled off some moments of brilliance, kind of like having a Luis Garcia in goal. He will of course always be remembered for his antics in Istanbul, and leaves the club as a hero because of that.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2007 12:56:24 pm
      Good Luck Jerzy you wont be forgotten, you pulled off some world-class saves on many occasions, you were the hero of Istanbul.

Jerzy  Dudek - Legend

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jul 13, 2007 12:59:06 pm
      All the best Jerzy mate!  ;D Thank you so much for many glorious memories! You'll never be forgotten fella, and good luck at Real Madrid! (Hope to see you in some first team action, show them how to dance fella ;))

You'll Never Walk Alone  :)

Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 13, 2007 01:08:25 pm
      You made me weep tears of joy in Istanbul Jerzey, good luck
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6759 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Jul 13, 2007 04:36:26 pm
      Thanks Jerzy for all the great memories...especially Istanbul....you'll never be forgotten....good luck with Madrid...maybe see you in the USSR in May 08....no heroics this time though, mate. ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007 04:38:30 pm by AussieRed »
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 13, 2007 05:22:03 pm
      Fair play Jerzy- you will go down as a reds legend,dont understand the move to Real?cos he will only play in the copa del roy.Awaste if you ask me.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #17: Jul 13, 2007 06:58:00 pm
      Thanks for the memories dudek.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2007 07:50:59 pm
      Ahh, good luck Jerzy :D
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 14, 2007 11:12:04 am
      Well done Jerzy. A fine servant for Liverpool. 

May you get a good run out at Real Madrid.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #20: Jul 20, 2007 04:21:54 pm
      Dudek finally signed today.
      Good luck mate.

Tellatran
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      • ;D
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2007 08:33:05 pm
      Thanks for some great memories...But we have to be realistic we have a better first choice atm and he was way inconsistent.
      I was actually really nervous when he was in goal many times.
      I wish him all the best, he wanted first team football he is not going to get much so this is basically a move for money.   
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: Jul 20, 2007 09:07:52 pm
      All the best Dudek and thanks for that memorable save from that overrated Ukrainian I do apologize but I have forgot his name!

Good Luck mate and thanks for all that you have done in paving the way for some of the best European football I have seen for a long while.

Andy

Quick Reply