Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Fabio Coentrao (Benfica)

Read 44974 times
      miroa12004
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 81 posts |
      Fabio Coentrao (Benfica)
      Oct 27, 2010 07:41:32 am

This is from a Portugease magazine, the headline says that we are interested in the lad, the article inside states that even though his contract runs till 2016, Coentrao wants out, and is targeted by us and Bayern Munchen, the only problem is that Benefica won't let him go without someone paying him his release clause which is €30 million, however his relectance to play for the club could be vital to him going, same thing that made Sporting give up Moutinho.

One can only hope.
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2011 02:12:01 pm by crouchinho »
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Re: Liverpool target Coentrao
      Reply #1: Oct 27, 2010 07:43:25 am
      Fabio is Portuguese. And, The b***ard's dream would most probably be to play for Real or Barca. I don't want another player who 'dreams' of playing for Real or Barca. Lets get someone who loves Liverpool FC and won't be flattered when Real ...or Barca show some interest him.

Anyways, I would anyday prefer Cissokho to Coentrao. Aly a Liverpool FC fan. Defensively he is excellent and good going forward. Final ball isn't that great as of now but that can be developed. Also, He is good in the air as well. He would be golden to our side which is filled with players who can't F***ing head the ball properly. Glen on the right and Cissokho on the left would also be a balanced defense because two overlapping wing backs in a four man defense with a single defensive midfielder would be a risk. If its a double pivot then two attacking wing backs would make sense but I don't think we would play with a double pivot anymore. So, Coentrao and Glen as full backs is a bit risky. Although, I won't moan if we get him. :P
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 27, 2010 08:10:40 am
      Got him in Fifa and he is solid , good going forward , only if Fifa was real life
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Oct 27, 2010 08:52:12 am
      At 22, he certainly fits in with the NESV policy of buying young talent.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #4: Oct 27, 2010 08:56:11 am
      At 22, he certainly fits in with the NESV policy of buying young talent.

Just not the 30m release clause
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #5: Oct 27, 2010 09:03:32 am

Well, if he has stated he won't play for the club, they'll have little option but to sell him for considerably less than the £26m release clause value.  The only problem is that there will likely be a bidding war for him and we are going in half-cocked.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #6: Oct 27, 2010 09:04:38 am
      I don't like it. He's a good player, but if he wants to leave then he shouldn't have extended his contract to 2016 only a month ago! I hate that type of attitude with players.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Oct 27, 2010 09:09:55 am
      I don't like it. He's a good player, but if he wants to leave then he shouldn't have extended his contract to 2016 only a month ago! I hate that type of attitude with players.

It looks like he has had an each way bet to cover himself,as you say he only extended his contract a month ago so on that basis does not seem to be very reliable.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010 10:27:15 am by ayrton77, Reason: fixed quote »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4849 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8: Oct 27, 2010 09:10:17 am

I totally agree. Any player that signs a '6 yearer' and then will refuse to play a month later in order to force a move out is nothing but a renegade. No thanks, although I very much doubt there is any truth in the article anyway.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Oct 27, 2010 09:19:02 am
      You never know, something could have happened in that month.  Look at Rooney... I love Utd... they are sh*t and I want to leave... I love Utd... all that in the space of three days! :f_tongueincheek:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #10: Oct 27, 2010 09:19:17 am
      I think the days of players acting for anyone but themselves has gone ,Wayne Rooney dare I say. Players dont even seem to bond as a team and have factions based on nationality and language.
      I dont know this player that well but can we please remember Ryan Babel would have fitted the new owners profile perfectly and look at him. I think that we need proven premiership talent or at least young premiership talent otherwise its a shot in the dark unless you are buying someone like Messi or Ronaldo.
      miroa12004
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 81 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 27, 2010 09:34:04 am
      I think the days of players acting for anyone but themselves has gone ,Wayne Rooney dare I say. Players dont even seem to bond as a team and have factions based on nationality and language.
      I dont know this player that well but can we please remember Ryan Babel would have fitted the new owners profile perfectly and look at him. I think that we need proven premiership talent or at least young premiership talent otherwise its a shot in the dark unless you are buying someone like Messi or Ronaldo.

Ryan lost the plot himself, he is totally distracted from football and sin't 100% commited, he has got an amazing talent but he can't utilize it and unfortuantly still didn't meet the manager who can utilize his talents yet, not with us, not with Ajax and certainly not with the Dutch NT.

On the other hand Wenger have been buying some unproven talents over tha past five years, most of his squad consists of player lacking PL experience, granted some were misses, but many were hits, this year he signed free agent Chamach, as well as Koscielny and Squillici, the former two are relatively young, didn't cost that much and are doing good in the league with having little to no PL experience, Squillaci is also another one who didn't have any PL but his international experience with France certainly helped him, then you can see Vermaelen who was the best buy last year in the Prem IMO and before it Nasri and you can clearly see that not having PL experience isn't really a problem if you have good talents and a good manager.

Rafa bought Xabi, Torres, Reina, Garcia all didn't have any PL experience and look what they did with us, for me buying guys like Eden Hazard, Steven Defour, Coentrao/Cissoko, Arda Turan is better for the long term than signing for example Robben, Sneijder, Ashley Cole, etc. And I firmly believe that this is what we'll do.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #12: Oct 27, 2010 11:01:25 am

What is this 'papers' equivalent in the UK? I'm not overly keen on transfer rumours anyway but dependent on who wrote the article and their accuracy before depends on any relevance we should attach to it.

One thing's for sure we're going to have a speculative period of building and not a big splash spurge spend by NESV. Liverpool council have given NESV 6 months to figure out what they are going to do about the stadium and regenerating the Anfield area so there's going to be a big outlay one way or another just on that.

I'd be happy with bringing in a new manager and letting him pick his own players, what's the point in signing 30m players if the new manager doesn't want him? So new gaffer, £40m winter transfer budget and stadium redevelopment for starters.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Oct 27, 2010 11:05:13 am

You mean like Rooney?  Wouldn't surprise me if we being linked just to help the selling club as close to the release clause as they can.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #14: Oct 27, 2010 06:16:37 pm
      Anyways, I would anyday prefer Cissokho to Coentrao.
      How much do you reckon we could get Cissokho for?
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #15: Oct 27, 2010 06:24:47 pm
      as he's only 22 cant he buy himself out of his contract?

either way never heard of him tbh but they must rate him to give him a 6year deal
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Oct 27, 2010 06:31:42 pm
      as he's only 22 cant he buy himself out of his contract?

either way never heard of him tbh but they must rate him to give him a 6year deal

Did you not have a look at the World Cup? Or our game against Benfica last season?
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #17: Oct 27, 2010 06:34:05 pm
      How much do you reckon we could get Cissokho for?

Cissokho will be expensive.  He cost Lyon close to 15 million, and he has gone up in value since then.  He is contracted to Lyon until the summer of 2014.
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #18: Oct 27, 2010 06:34:12 pm

What is this 'papers' equivalent in the UK? I'm not overly keen on transfer rumours anyway but dependent on who wrote the article and their accuracy before depends on any relevance we should attach to it.

One thing's for sure we're going to have a speculative period of building and not a big splash spurge spend by NESV. Liverpool council have given NESV 6 months to figure out what they are going to do about the stadium and regenerating the Anfield area so there's going to be a big outlay one way or another just on that.

I'd be happy with bringing in a new manager and letting him pick his own players, what's the point in signing 30m players if the new manager doesn't want him? So new gaffer, £40m winter transfer budget and stadium redevelopment for starters.

From what I've been able to find, the magazine tends to sell well with Benfica and Sporting fans as they usually focus their marketing towards those supporters' groups. Other than that, very little is published about them in English text, aside from them being owned by the Portuguese media conglomerate Cofina.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #19: Oct 27, 2010 07:01:12 pm
      Cissokho will be expensive.  He cost Lyon close to 15 million, and he has gone up in value since then.  He is contracted to Lyon until the summer of 2014.

I'd say Aly is worth nearly 25 at this point. He's turning himself into one of the best LB's in the world very quickly.
      karlp606
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 27, 2010 07:13:31 pm
      ha signed him on the fm 2011 demo, better left back than konch and fabs
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,972 posts | 5031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Oct 27, 2010 08:55:07 pm
      One question,   is he good enough for us? he does not have the right attitude for me, to be fair i don;t know enough about the lad so maybe i'm wrong on my opinion of him, i don't expect a armband 'ala' Torres but to sign a contract then say he wants out is a bit iffy, especially when there are better alternatives.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #22: Oct 28, 2010 12:24:43 am
      I watched inter v spurs the other week the 1 player that stood out coutinho he looked quality and he is only 18 sure he would be ideal for the NESV plan of haing young players

Quick Reply