Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Fabio Coentrao (Benfica)

Read 45140 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool target Coentrao
      Reply #230: May 26, 2011 07:10:32 am
      There are many other options then dropping 25 million on Coentrao. If we do then great and I can't wait to see him in a red shirt, but Izaguirre would be a cheaper option and Enrique isn't a bad shout either imo. Spend that 25 million towards an Aguero or a Hazard.
      Izaguirre of celtic is also good but I will only take Enrique for a fee under 7m. For Aguero with this 25m we need to add 20m and for Hazard, i think that he said that he wants to stay at lille!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #231: May 26, 2011 07:14:37 am
      Could we not sign Coentrao as a left mid and buy Izaguirre or Enrique as our left back? That wouldn't be too bad really if trying to sign a left sided midfielder doesn't really pay off the way we want it to i.e. Young going to United? Hazard wanting to stay in France.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #232: May 26, 2011 07:17:57 am
      Izaguirre of celtic is also good but I will only take Enrique for a fee under 7m. For Aguero with this 25m we need to add 20m and for Hazard, I think that he said that he wants to stay at lille!

Agreed, Enrique isn't worth the 15 million price tag thrown around. I am impressed with Coentrao, but we are competing with Real Madrid who have the ability to go over the top of us.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #233: May 26, 2011 07:23:53 am
      Could we not sign Coentrao as a left mid and buy Izaguirre or Enrique as our left back? That wouldn't be too bad really if trying to sign a left sided midfielder doesn't really pay off the way we want it to I.e. Young going to United? Hazard wanting to stay in France.
      Agreed, why not?

Agreed, Enrique isn't worth the 15 million price tag thrown around. I am impressed with Coentrao, but we are competing with Real Madrid who have the ability to go over the top of us.
      If he wants to play, he needs to come here 'cos he won't remove marcelo from his place because he played very well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #234: May 26, 2011 07:27:54 am

The transfer of Coentrao to Madrid for me personally makes 0 sense what so ever. There is no chance that after the season that Marcelo has had that he will sit on the bench for them weak in weak out.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #235: May 26, 2011 07:29:03 am
      If he wants to play, he needs to come here 'cos he won't remove marcelo from his place because he played very well.

Apologies for saying exactly what you have said ;D.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #236: May 26, 2011 07:31:02 am
      Apologies for saying exactly what you have said ;D.
      No problem mate, we thought the same same mate :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #237: May 26, 2011 08:01:45 am
      No problem mate, we thought the same same mate :)

Looks like we're not the only ones Clint...

The source doesn't seem very credible but i'm simply liking the idea anyway.

Liverpool ready to sign Ā£25m Portugese international

Their are reports from Portugal this morning that the Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has ā€œagreed a feeā€ with Benfica over their top-class left-back Fabio Coentrao.

The Portugal international has been coveted by many top European clubs, but the Correio da Manha reports that Liverpool have won the race for him and will pay Benfica Ā£25m if and when Coentrao agrees personal terms with the club.

Dalglish has made the defence a priority at Anfield this summer after bringing in Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January, and the problematic left-hand side is the first position he wants filled as soon as possible, and the deal should go through as early as the first week in June.

Liverpool are also expected to sign another left-sided player in Jose Enrique of Newcastle imminently, and with Coentrao on the left wing and Enrique at left-back the Reds will have a formidable attacking force on the lefthand side of the pitch.

http://www.footylatest.com/liverpool-ready-to-sign-25m-portugese-international/22323
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #238: May 26, 2011 08:17:08 am
      Looks like we're not the only ones Clint...

The source doesn't seem very credible but I'm simply liking the idea anyway.

Liverpool ready to sign Ā£25m Portugese international

Their are reports from Portugal this morning that the Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has ā€œagreed a feeā€ with Benfica over their top-class left-back Fabio Coentrao.

The Portugal international has been coveted by many top European clubs, but the Correio da Manha reports that Liverpool have won the race for him and will pay Benfica Ā£25m if and when Coentrao agrees personal terms with the club.

Dalglish has made the defence a priority at Anfield this summer after bringing in Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January, and the problematic left-hand side is the first position he wants filled as soon as possible, and the deal should go through as early as the first week in June.

Liverpool are also expected to sign another left-sided player in Jose Enrique of Newcastle imminently, and with Coentrao on the left wing and Enrique at left-back the Reds will have a formidable attacking force on the lefthand side of the pitch.

http://www.footylatest.com/liverpool-ready-to-sign-25m-portugese-international/22323

i hope thats true! doubt it though :(
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #239: May 26, 2011 08:18:21 am
      Isn't 25 million a tad too much?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #240: May 26, 2011 08:28:11 am

Left back? Most probably. Left midfield? That's only round about the figure we would pay anyway.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #241: May 26, 2011 08:29:20 am
      I would pay them because he is only 23 yr old and his current potential and his future looks very good mate. But this is my opinion.

Maybe 20m would be nicer ;/
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #242: May 26, 2011 08:57:48 am
      This is a big punt but i believe Coentrao will come to us my reasons are
      We have no leftback
      We are have been IMO quiet about the Transfers whlist others havent been
      Real Madrid have a top quality leftback
      He likes liverpool from what i have heard
      The original source this came from the man has made predictions and more than half the time he is right.
      Those are just my reasons.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #243: May 26, 2011 12:46:05 pm
      Benfica set Coentrao price
      Portuguese club demand Ā£26m for star left-back

By Francisco Acedo
      Last Updated: May 26, 2011 12:28pm

Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira insists Fabio Coentrao would only be allowed to leave for ā‚¬30million (Ā£26m).

The attack-minded Portugal left-back has been linked with a summer move to Real Madrid, Manchester City, AC Milan, Liverpool and Bayern Munich.

But Benfica are unwilling to allow Coentrao to leave for anything less than Ā£26million.

The club's president, Luis Filipe Vieira, told Portuguese media: "Coentrao can only leave if a club pays ā‚¬30m, which is his value in the market."

Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha has reported that Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has already agreed a deal for Coentrao.

But Real and Manchester City would have the financial clout to outbid the Anfield outfit if it becomes clear that the 23-year-old is available.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6953093,00.html
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #244: May 26, 2011 12:48:13 pm
      Mace. that good mate, I love him a lot this player!
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #245: May 26, 2011 01:16:53 pm
      yea agree Clichy and Kolarov were pretty awful this season
      I thought Kolarov had a decent season, looked good in the second half.
      Rimli
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #246: May 26, 2011 01:18:58 pm
      I keep reading more and more reports that Coentrao to Liverpool is a done deal . I hope they're true,I consider him the best offensive left-back in the world at the moment .

Link
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2011 06:16:16 am by CRK, Reason: Long URL putting iPhone display out of skew. Sorted. »
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #247: May 26, 2011 01:31:34 pm
      I keep reading more and more reports that Coentrao to Liverpool is a done deal . I hope they're true,I consider him the best offensive left-back in the world at the moment .

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-agree-fee-for-28-9m-benfica-star-despite
      Agreed. I wrote it yesterday. Finger crossed!
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #248: May 26, 2011 01:34:04 pm

He's one of the best attacking LB in the world. We need to add world class players, so I say go for it!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #249: May 26, 2011 01:39:29 pm

I would love to see Coentrao at LFC, but we should be aware that the report in ''Correio da Manha'' dates back to March, and the paper is basically a sensationalist tabloid ...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #250: May 26, 2011 01:59:59 pm
      Let's hope that there is some movement within the coming days/weeks. Would be great to see him playing left back for Liverpool, would also shut all of my City fan mates up about how he is going to sign for City etc.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #251: May 26, 2011 02:06:18 pm
      Would be pretty amazing if he signs, then :)

I know he's a great going forward and probably decent defensivel. Funny how they show "ā€“    ā†’ Liverpool FC    0    (0)" under his Senior Career on Wikipedia (yes I know :P).

But since he can operate both at left back and left winger, 25 million is a good amount.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #252: May 26, 2011 02:47:48 pm
      I would love for this to be true!  If we get Coentrao then I could see us running a 3-4-3/5-2-3 a lot next season.  With the players we would have at our disposal, it could fluidly shift to a 4-3-3, and would probably stay like that for most of the game.  However, the players occupying the back 4 would constantly be switching throughout the entire game.  The way I see it we would have Johnson and Coentrao acting as wingbacks.  When one would make a run forward, the other would drop back and vice-versa.  So, when Johnson would make a run down the right flank, he would effectively become a RM, and Coentrao would be our LB.  The same would happen when Coentrao would make a run forward - he would be our LM, and Johno would be our RB.  It would look something like this:

Kelly   Carra   Agger
        Johno           Lucas           Coentrao

Gerrard
                Kuyt               Suarez
                          Carrol

And would shift back and forth to:

Johno  Kelly  Carra  Agger
                       Lucas
           Gerrard             Coentrao
              Kuyt            Suarez
                       Carrol

OR  

Kelly   Carra  Agger   Coentrao
                     Lucas  
        Johno                   Gerrard
               Kuyt        Suarez
                     Carrol

With Kelly and Agger both being able to operate at the CB position AND as fullbacks (Kelly at RB and Agger at LB) it would be able to shift back and forth seamlessly.  Can you imagine the defensive headaches that this shifting system would give other teams?!

Obviously, I am not saying this is the only system that we would play, but I think it would be a viable option if we signed Coentrao given that him and Glen are both very dangerous attacking options, and both have a good bit of pace on the outside.  Also, putting Kelly and Agger around Carra would help to make up for his lack of pace and would give us better ball playing options at the back.

Quick Reply