Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Fabio Coentrao (Benfica)

Read 44988 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Liverpool target Coentrao
      Reply #253: May 26, 2011 03:10:12 pm

Liverpool 'agree fee with star' despite Madrid link

26th May 2011

Portuguese reports claim Liverpool have agreed a fee with Benfica for Fabio Coentrao.

The Benfica left-back has been linked with an Anfield move for most of the year, with director of football Damien Comolli approaching the Primeira Liga runners-up back in December and flying out to Portugal to follow-up the interest in February.

Reports two days ago suggested the 23-year-old was on the verge of signing for Real Madrid, but now Correio da Manha claim Liverpool have agreed a fee with the Águias that will see the player move to Anfield.

€28.9 million (£25m) is claimed to be the fee paid by Kenny Dalglish, who is the transfer market for a left back as Liverpool look for a long-term replacement for Paul Konchesky.

Jose Enrique, Taye Taiwo and Emilio Izaguirre have all been speculatively placed on the Reds' radar in recent months, with the Newcastle full back thought to be the most likely to join the Merseysiders.

If the Portuguese reports are to emerge as true, Liverpool have turned to the international calibre defender instead and have pulled off a transfer coup in prizing the player from the Estadio da Luz.

However, neither Liverpool or Benfica have confirmed that a deal has been struck, and until that time it will remain open to debate as to if the former Rio Ave star is heading to the Barclays Premier League.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-agree-fee-with-star-despite-madrid-link
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #254: May 26, 2011 03:15:47 pm
      €28.9 million (£25m) is claimed to be the fee paid by Kenny Dalglish, who is the transfer market for a left back as Liverpool look for a long-term replacement for Paul Konchesky.

:o woah!
      Rimli
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #255: May 26, 2011 03:17:54 pm
      The news is getting bigger by the minute !

Reports emerging from Portugal are suggesting that Liverpool have agreed a fee close to Benfica's valuation of €30 million (£26m) for the services of Portuguese left-back Fabio Coentrao.

Coentrao as been linked with a switch to Anfield since the left-back position was identified as a weakness; Paul Konchesky and Emiliano Insua are both currently on loan, with Glen Johnson often asked to fill in at a position he is unfamiliar with.

Damien Comolli reportedly followed up interest shown in Coentrao in February by flying out to meet with Benfica representatives recently. Two days ago, reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid emerged, but it now seems the Portuguese star is set for a move to Liverpool.

Kenny Dalglish is said to have agreed a deal slightly under Benfica’s original demands worth €28.9 million (£25m) according to GiveMeFootball.com, despite Liverpool also expressing an interest in the likes of Jose Enrique, Taye Taiwo and Emilio Izaguirre.

Benfica's club president Luis Filipe Vieira told Portuguese media: "Coentrao can only leave if a club pays €30m, which is his value in the market."

If the media speculation circulating around Portugal is correct, Coentrao will be a massive name for Dalglish to prize away from Real Madrid. With the new owners desperate to re-establish Liverpool as a major force in Europe, signing a defender of international calibre will be a marquee mark of intent.

Both clubs are yet to confirm that a deal has officially been struck, and as a result speculation will continue to link Coentrao with a move to join fellow countryman Jose Mourinho at the Santiago Bernabeu.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/liverpool-agree-25m-fee-for-real-madrid-target/
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #256: May 26, 2011 03:29:03 pm
      Well I really wouldn't take the amount of websites reporting this as anything to do by. Normally when one site reports it, then everyone follows suit.

Quality player mind, would love him as a left back or left winger, would like him at left wing more though. I believe he can make the jump from left back to left wing similarly to Gareth Bale did.

The "itk's" on twitter are saying its not true, so from that understanding he's signed  ;D
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #257: May 26, 2011 03:30:49 pm
      He wouldn't be making switch full-go. He grew up a winger. He's still finding his feet as a full-back.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #258: May 26, 2011 03:36:24 pm
      The first sentence on his wikipedia page already says he currently plays for Liverpool FC.

I'm getting hopes up that this happens now
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #259: May 26, 2011 03:39:13 pm
      The first sentence on his wikipedia page already says he currently plays for Liverpool FC.

I'm getting hopes up that this happens now

Just to warn you, anyone can edit Wiki.
      He wouldn't be making switch full-go. He grew up a winger. He's still finding his feet as a full-back.

I know he grow up as a winger but he wasn't well known before he played at full back.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #260: May 26, 2011 03:40:00 pm
      Just to warn you, anyone can edit Wiki.

I know I just thought it was funny.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #261: May 26, 2011 03:44:29 pm
      Haha... I went to Correio da Manhã's website (as most of you know, I speak Portuguese :P), and all I could find there regarding Coentrão is the following news: "Coentrão: fullback is going to play for Real Madrid" (May 22nd). Really have no idea of where this crap came from, those websites are now even citing a source that hasn't said anything about it! :D Will keep looking on Portuguese websites if I see anything about it
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #262: May 26, 2011 03:57:51 pm
      :o woah!

I know!!!!! they make Konchescky seem as if he was some hero here @ Anfield

:D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #263: May 26, 2011 04:04:35 pm
      Now I went to a Benfica fan's forum and all they were talking about on Coentrão's thread was about Real Madrid's interest... on a positive note, they're really desperate to keep him, which shows his quality.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,481 posts | 2863 
      Reply #264: May 26, 2011 04:21:20 pm
      Got a feeling we might get this fella.

Big statement to spend £25m on a full back if we do!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #265: May 26, 2011 04:29:32 pm
      It's Madrid, not Liverpool.

He's not our player, and he probably won't be.

Sorry to piss on all your chips'.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #266: May 26, 2011 04:33:09 pm
      Haha... I went to Correio da Manhã's website (as most of you know, I speak Portuguese :P), and all I could find there regarding Coentrão is the following news: "Coentrão: fullback is going to play for Real Madrid" (May 22nd). Really have no idea of where this crap came from, those websites are now even citing a source that hasn't said anything about it! :D Will keep looking on Portuguese websites if I see anything about it

Checked myself with the help of google translate and they only mention Real Madrid...
      Don't see us signing him myself
      Link
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2011 06:19:13 am by CRK, Reason: Lengthy URL shortened. Display karma restored. »
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #267: May 26, 2011 05:37:57 pm
      Found this today

Fabio Coentrao - Welcome to Liverpool FC (HD)

Whoever made it must be very confident. He looks to be as good as any left-back around at the minute !
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #268: May 26, 2011 05:41:41 pm
      If you look at most videos of players we are linked to, a lot of hopeful LFC fans comment on it saying "Welcome to Anfield. YNWA" etc.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #269: May 26, 2011 05:46:21 pm
      Would love him here but ain't happening it was a mistranslation of an article
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #270: May 26, 2011 06:24:28 pm
      Everyone clinging on to these 'new reports spreading fast' about us signing him. It was one bullshit report that hasn't been found anywhere in Portuguese media yet every tabloid is running with it, crediting Correio da Manha newspaper for the info when just one day earlier the actual article stated it was Real Madrid with the deal in place.

For 25m they can F**k off. This lad wasn't fit to shine Di Maria's boots on the left wing, got punted to left back and now is apparently worth the same? Spare me the sh*te.

Rather the 15m quoted for Enrique by a mile even though it might not even be as high as that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #271: May 26, 2011 06:57:46 pm
      I still think that Coentrao is an over-rated, big, Jessie.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #272: May 26, 2011 09:12:17 pm
      I still think that Coentrao is an over-rated, big, Jessie.

I disagree, but I won't disrespect your opinion..... to each his own.  Who would you have us go after then?  Enrique certainly isn't worth more than 9-10 million, and supposedly Newcastle want close to 15 for him!  I haven't seen Izaguirre play, so I can't comment on him.  Cissokho would be a very expensive, yet very solid option. 

I can see the sense in going for one great player, as we have been burned by buying too many average players in the past.  However, I can also see prudence in signing both Enrique and Izaguirre (from what I've heard he is a very promising LB) for the same price that one of Coentrao or Cissokho would cost.  It would provide us with two naturally left footed players competing for a 1st team spot, and hopefully improving each other in the process.  It really is a tough call.....
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #273: May 26, 2011 11:26:02 pm

''Balague: Liverpool are interested in Juan Mata and Jose Enrique but Fabio Coentrao is a no-go''

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/kickoff/blog/2011-05-26/balague-liverpool-are-interested-juan-mata-and-jose-enrique-fabio-coentrao-no-go
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #274: May 27, 2011 06:28:17 am
      Everyone clinging on to these 'new reports spreading fast' about us signing him. It was one bullshit report that hasn't been found anywhere in Portuguese media yet every tabloid is running with it, crediting Correio da Manha newspaper for the info when just one day earlier the actual article stated it was Real Madrid with the deal in place.

For 25m they can F**k off. This lad wasn't fit to shine Di Maria's boots on the left wing, got punted to left back and now is apparently worth the same? Spare me the sh*te.

Rather the 15m quoted for Enrique by a mile even though it might not even be as high as that.

I agree about not being sure on the validity of these rumors, but not the rest. Players can't grow? Look at Lucas, prime example. And this cat is over a year younger than Lucas. He's come miles in a season and a half just as Lucas has...

This guy has the potential to be a game-changer, he's so pacy and we have zero pace on the wings right now. He can play leftback or left wing, making the added investment make sense to me as you get a more versatile player. And besides, if we're going to invest we might as well invest. If he is signed, it is because our higher ups will be thinking he's worth the risk. I dont think theyre gonna be stupid with their money. I'd love him here
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #275: May 27, 2011 07:47:14 am
      I disagree, but I won't disrespect your opinion.
      Good.  ;D

Who would you have us go after then?
      I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.  

Enrique certainly isn't worth more than 9-10 million, and supposedly Newcastle want close to 15 for him!
      I've never mentioned Enrique myself but you now raise an interesting point. The inference of your post is that if we were to sign Enrique for less than £9m then that would sit more comfortably but at £15m he'd be way too expensive.

Surely if he's not good enough, he's not good enough; irrespective of cost?

I believe that Coentrao is overrated and isn't good enough irrespective of the massive price tag. I believe that Coentrao is 'the Emperor's new clothes' and few folk (present company excluded, of course) tend to attach too much importance on 'price-tag' when 'window shopping'.

As you stated earlier; "each to their own" - I happen to believe that Coentrao looks better than he plays. ...a big Jessie (if you like) - I'm most likely wrong tho' so I won't lose any sleep if we do sign him.

Quick Reply