Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Read 221594 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Charlie Adam (Blackpool)
      Reply #3082: Jul 07, 2011 05:26:39 pm
       I like Mereiles too, but lets be serious ;D. I actually think Adam will keep Raul out of the side, nver mind Steven Gerrard.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3083: Jul 07, 2011 05:31:27 pm
      I like Mereiles too, but lets be serious ;D.

I am being serious.  I don't believe that currently Steven Gerrard is so much better than Meireles that he warrants an automatic first choice pick ahead of him.  Let me put it this way, it wouldn't be so crazy for Meireles on form to be a better player than Gerrard not on form.  For my money, only Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger and Luis Suarez deserve the "if he's fit, he plays" treatment and that's partially down to a lack of better options in those positions.  Anyways, I'll gladly continue this discussion somewhere else (pick a thread) but for now, I'll talk about Charlie Adam.  Seeing as I haven't welcomed him to the club since his impending arrival - welcome Mr. Adam, prove me wrong, make me look stupid and you've got a clean slate from me.  Hope you do well.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #3084: Jul 07, 2011 05:39:14 pm
      Although I agree we shouldn't judge players on the name, we have to take into account Gerrard's injury problems which he says he's now got past.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1223 
      Reply #3085: Jul 07, 2011 06:15:46 pm

Reina

Johnson  Agger    Carragher  New LB*

Gerrard   Adam
      Henderson    Suarez       Downing

Carroll

I quite like the look of that. Think we really could do with a top centre half, though, given Agger's injury troubles and with Carragher's best days behind him.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #3086: Jul 07, 2011 06:22:48 pm
      He will not be played on the left! Either Adam or Stevie will push back with Lucas I think.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #3087: Jul 07, 2011 06:23:38 pm
      I am being serious.  I don't believe that currently Steven Gerrard is so much better than Meireles that he warrants an automatic first choice pick ahead of him.  Let me put it this way, it wouldn't be so crazy for Meireles on form to be a better player than Gerrard not on form.  For my money, only Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger and Luis Suarez deserve the "if he's fit, he plays" treatment and that's partially down to a lack of better options in those positions.  Anyways, I'll gladly continue this discussion somewhere else (pick a thread) but for now, I'll talk about Charlie Adam.  Seeing as I haven't welcomed him to the club since his impending arrival - welcome Mr. Adam, prove me wrong, make me look stupid and you've got a clean slate from me.  Hope you do well.

great post +1
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #3088: Jul 07, 2011 06:32:48 pm
      I'm one of the doubters on Charlie Adam but fair play to him and i hope he proves me wrong, Gerrard's career is coming to the end soon ( 2 years ?) all the injuries Stevie has sustained is taking it's toll so maybe he plays a limited number of games with Adam joining us , we do need a midfield anchorman ,lets hope Charlie fits the bill
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3089: Jul 07, 2011 07:03:57 pm
      He will not be played on the left! Either Adam or Stevie will push back with Lucas I think.

I'm inclined to disagree.

He's naturally left sided so I highly doubt he'll be employed in the centre of the pitch where we have very stiff competition. I think it'll be on the left of a 4-3-3 alongside Gerrard or Lucas and behind Downing if we sign him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #3090: Jul 07, 2011 07:10:58 pm
      :(
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3091: Jul 07, 2011 07:12:26 pm

And that emoticon is for what?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #3092: Jul 07, 2011 08:05:46 pm
      Can't see him being a regular starter to be honest.

But certainly an improvement for someone to come off the bench.

I'm always intrigued when a club captain moves to another club, where he is no longer the big fish.  Going to be interesting to see if he can adapt to that.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3093: Jul 07, 2011 08:16:30 pm
      Can't see him being a regular starter to be honest.

But certainly an improvement for someone to come off the bench.

I'm always intrigued when a club captain moves to another club, where he is no longer the big fish.  Going to be interesting to see if he can adapt to that.
      I think he will be a regular, I don't think Kenny would have chased him so long just to improve the squad. I'd say he has been signed because he is "probably" a better passer than anyone else in the squad, and might just play that final ball that we've been missing.
      Hope he is a huge success.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3094: Jul 07, 2011 08:47:17 pm
      I think he will be a regular, I don't think Kenny would have chased him so long just to improve the squad. I'd say he has been signed because he is "probably" a better passer than anyone else in the squad, and might just play that final ball that we've been missing.
      Hope he is a huge success.

To be honest the only reason we 'chased' him for so long was because Oyston was being a tough negotiator I think. I don't believe that just because we were in for him since January that he's going to be a first XI regular. I'm sure Kenny would be the first to tell you he didn't sign Adam so he could get an automatic place, he'll have to prove himself worthy of it, just like everyone else at the club, those who join this summer and those who were part of the setup last year.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3095: Jul 07, 2011 08:50:18 pm
      Some will see it like that, I think he's been too complacent at times over the past two seasons.

I think he's been to injured, and fans have been to quick to judge him over the past 2 seasons tbh. Though we will have to beg to differ  :nod:

Also age catches up with you, and I will agree he is no longer the (consistently) explosive player we remember, but he is still our captain, and still our best midfielder (imo ;))
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011 08:57:30 pm by fields of anny rd »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3096: Jul 07, 2011 08:53:24 pm
      I think he will be a regular because as seen from pictures Kenny really likes him. He can play both as a central or a left midfielder.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #3097: Jul 07, 2011 08:54:43 pm
      I don't think we would of been chasing a player so hard to put him on the bench ...
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3098: Jul 07, 2011 08:56:23 pm
      I don't think we would of been chasing a player so hard to put him on the bench ...
      Yes as well!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3099: Jul 07, 2011 09:04:09 pm
      I don't think we sign many players for the purpose of sitting on the bench (except perhaps a sub keeper). I think the management just see him as a valuable member of the squad, who should offer us something we don't already have.

I think Adam will want to start games, and be desperate to prove himself worthy of starting.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3100: Jul 07, 2011 09:04:56 pm
      Well competition for positions means there's no guarantees but let me put it to you this way, if Liverpool are to progress and move forward it involves Steven Gerrard sitting in the passenger's (and not the driver's) seat.  Currently, I rate him on par with Meireles and we need to abolish this culture of people being first choice on the team sheet first game back from injury - he can prove himself like everyone else has been, there's no question he's got the ability to do so, so come on Steven, let's have it.  Note, this is no reflection on his previous contribution to the club because he has been f**king phenomenal in the past and I'm thankful he's a Liverpool player and not a <random club> player.  He's earned the right to retire here IMO, but not the right to be an automatic first choice pick.  I'm going to get slated for this, but it's just how I see things.
      f***in hell mate, what you been smoking ? Gerrard sitting in the passengers seat, you rate him the same as Meireles, he has to work his way back in after injury, not a automatic first choice, have you lost your marbles ?

Your talking about probably one of the top midfielders in world football, still,your talking about our club captain, our talisman, leader, and driving force, you know sometimes when you read some of the things that people post,you sit back in your chair in bewilderment,i had to read your post 3 times to get my head round what you said, even now writing this i'm bemused.

Gerrard will be the centre piece of Kenny's revolution, if you cant recognise that then shame on you, why do you think he has stayed behind,and not went on tour to Asia, he's pivotal to our season, thats why we need him fit and ready to go on day one, your right when you say there will be competition for places, thats right, every place except the club captains, barring injury/suspension, a fully fit, niggleless season will strike the fear into any side in the EPL, they know what he is capable of, add the right balance,a solid defense and a strike force consisting Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt and possibly another quality scorer and 'Voila' most teams will f***in brick it when they face us, '' He can prove himself like anyone else has to'' i think you need to prove your not a WUM,and stop smoking whatever your smoking.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #3101: Jul 07, 2011 09:15:49 pm
      I'm inclined to disagree.

He's naturally left sided so I highly doubt he'll be employed in the centre of the pitch where we have very stiff competition. I think it'll be on the left of a 4-3-3 alongside Gerrard or Lucas and behind Downing if we sign him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when he played at Rangers he played on the left? That's why I don't think he'll be played there, as he was terrible there so Rangers supporters say? Awh I don't know, glad to have him here anyway.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #3102: Jul 07, 2011 09:17:24 pm
      He's got no pace whatsover so I'm pretty sure he won't be used as a left midfielder, he'll be in the center next to Lucas or Gerrard ... I hope.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3103: Jul 07, 2011 09:20:34 pm
      Actually Adam was named Rangers' young player of the year once, playing as left midfielder. He then started to fade and was loaned out and finally sold to Blackpool, where he started to play well again, this time as a central midfielder.

I wouldn't employ him on the wing, but he's not as slow as people make him out to be, he can certainly offer a few runs up the field from the left which he often did for Blackpool.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3104: Jul 07, 2011 09:25:30 pm
      Adam is not THAT slow. He isn't quick, but he is decent over short distances from what I have seen.

Quick Reply