Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Martin Kelly
      (2.7%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (57.4%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (0.4%)
      Fernando Torres
      (38.8%)

Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea: In Game and Post Match Delight

Read 66560 times
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea: In Game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #897: Nov 08, 2010 10:38:21 am
      Reminds me of the save chip campaign a couple of seasons ago. Must admit stopped watching when love joy finished. He was a rent boy but good at the banter.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #898: Nov 08, 2010 10:41:08 am
      I love how they are singing "Champions league, you're having a laugh" then Torres scores - that is how you shut them up :lmao:
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #899: Nov 08, 2010 10:51:28 am
      Bloody marvelous win - first chance I've had to praise the Team by the time I got back fro the match I was too tired - Outstanding really was.  2nd half they looked knackered but lead was still defended well.  The Chelsea fans were stunned you could sense they were thinking it would be an easy 6 pointer yesterday.  Liverpool's No 9 just stunning.  Pleased new owners were watching....... ;D
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #900: Nov 08, 2010 11:03:48 am
      Had some mates up from the smoke for the game and the banter was great more so when they started saying loooosserrrs before the game oh how I was delighted to meet up with them after the game in the Arkles and drink all their money to celebrate what was a great win.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #901: Nov 08, 2010 11:05:29 am
      I think the result was earned with a different mind set.

Last night, Torres received the ball and moved forward. The players behind him got the ball and passed it forward.

Unlike in the beginning of the season, Torres had his back towards the goal and instead of running with the ball when there's space, he passes it back or sideways. The team also hardly looked for a forward pass, opting for a side or backward pass. That's why Torres was hardly in the games last time and we can't really blame him for that.

It's incredible how getting the ball to your forward makes a difference and we should be doing that more often. He's not just any centre forward, he's Fernando Torres.

Of course, it also helped that Chelsea didn't have Essien and also had Drogba on the bench because they both would have made a difference.

I know we lost in terms of possession but we were the better team in the first half and there's when the game was won. In the second half, I felt Chelsea were all over us but we didn't well. Also, we can be glad because we had more attempts on target than Chelsea.

What does this mean for us?

Surely we're more confident now in the Premier League. Fernando Torres also looks more confident now because he actually ran with the ball last night!  
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #902: Nov 08, 2010 11:07:41 am
      It stills feels a bit surreal. We beat the best team in the league AND kept a clean sheet. What more could you ask for.

I'm incredibly proud of the lads, especially Kelly. My love for him grows every time i see him play, should deffo be starting more games.

We're in good form at the moment and i pray it continues.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #903: Nov 08, 2010 11:18:10 am
      I think the result was earned with a different mind set.

Last night, Torres received the ball and moved forward. The players behind him got the ball and passed it forward.

Unlike in the beginning of the season, Torres had his back towards the goal and instead of running with the ball when there's space, he passes it back or sideways. The team also hardly looked for a forward pass, opting for a side or backward pass. That's why Torres was hardly in the games last time and we can't really blame him for that.

It's incredible how getting the ball to your forward makes a difference and we should be doing that more often. He's not just any centre forward, he's Fernando Torres.

Of course, it also helped that Chelsea didn't have Essien and also had Drogba on the bench because they both would have made a difference.

I know we lost in terms of possession but we were the better team in the first half and there's when the game was won. In the second half, I felt Chelsea were all over us but we didn't well. Also, we can be glad because we had more attempts on target than Chelsea.

What does this mean for us?

Surely we're more confident now in the Premier League. Fernando Torres also looks more confident now because he actually ran with the ball last night! 

Well. Someone watched match of the day.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #904: Nov 08, 2010 11:27:28 am
      Watched the match, but didn't have time to get on the forum to join in the celebrations.

Great match IMO, it was good to see us going head to head with currently the strongest team in England and coming out of it with all three points and plenty of reasons to be positive.

Whilst most of the team put in a good shift, a few of the lads deserved a mention in particular.

Reina showed why he is one of the very best keepers in the world, with pulling off a couple of great saves, fully earning his clean sheet.

And I think he ran about the length of the pitch to have a word with the ref at one point as well, though I don't remember off the top of my head what it was for. But for me it showed his commitment to his team mates, and another reason why he deserves the captain's armband one day.

Torres. Good to see him so fired up again, after looking nonchelant and disinterested for a large part of the start of the season. Amazing finishing, and put in a massive amount of effort chasing down their players. Just the boost he, and we, needed.

Finally, my man of the match, Lucas. He's often been one of our better performers, but often when other players are having off days, making people doubt his quality. Against Chelsea, with all their muscle and midfield prescence, and many of our lads playing very well, Lucas stood out.

Amazing passion from him, quality tackling and passing, everything you could ask for in a midfielder. I hope he can continue this blistering form.

Well in Reds, marching up the table, and gaining some form. Keep it up!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #905: Nov 08, 2010 11:36:18 am
      Just had a moment of clarity there with all this talk about Lucas FINALLY showing some potential consistency, another feather in the cap for Rafa I think.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #906: Nov 08, 2010 11:39:08 am
      And I think he ran about the length of the pitch to have a word with the ref at one point as well, though I don't remember off the top of my head what it was for. But for me it showed his commitment to his team mates, and another reason why he deserves the captain's armband one day

It was for Terry's lunge/jump/challenge on Diggler.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #907: Nov 08, 2010 11:41:24 am
      It was for Terry's lunge/jump/challenge on Diggler.

Sounds right.

He's not just an outstanding keeper, he's a really top bloke.

I'd say his current market value is "priceless". ;)
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #908: Nov 08, 2010 11:41:54 am
      Finally, my man of the match, Lucas. He's often been one of our better performers, but often when other players are having off days, making people doubt his quality. Against Chelsea, with all their muscle and midfield prescence, and many of our lads playing very well, Lucas stood out.

Amazing passion from him, quality tackling and passing, everything you could ask for in a midfielder. I hope he can continue this blistering form.

Well in Reds, marching up the table, and gaining some form. Keep it up!

Have to agree, this season he has been one of the ones who've stood up to be counted, all credit to Roy in getting the best out of him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #909: Nov 08, 2010 11:43:36 am
      This squad ain't that bad really then, eh?
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #910: Nov 08, 2010 11:44:14 am
      Sounds right.

He's not just an outstanding keeper, he's a really top bloke.

I'd say his current market value is "priceless". ;)

Yeah, top Keeper who in my opinion is irreplacable for us.

Did you ever see his WC celebrations for Spain? The bloke was the life and heart of the party, he'd be a great character to have around in the dressing room I reckon.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #911: Nov 08, 2010 11:47:05 am
      Did you ever see his WC celebrations for Spain? The bloke was the life and heart of the party, he'd be a great character to have around in the dressing room I reckon.

Yeah, he's a F***ing nutter! :D

I'm sure he plays a really important role off the field, keeping up everyone's spirits and having a laugh.

I'm sure it'd be hilarious to go out partying with him!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #912: Nov 08, 2010 12:25:34 pm
      wonder if john henrys statement to players if your not happy at liverpool please leave. find it to much of a coincindence. well if it works thats good for the reds
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #913: Nov 08, 2010 12:33:58 pm
      What a win and more than that it was the way we went about it! Thats what we want and should expect every week from a Liverpool team. Not some of the heartless and gutless performances we have witnessed this season. That is the standard now lets keep going.

A special mention too for Lucas, he was absolutely outstanding yesterday. Torres got all the plaudits for his goals, which were both superbly taken but this young man is getting better and better and maybe a few of his doubters will start to realise that he isnt as bad as they thought and give him the praise he deserves.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #914: Nov 08, 2010 12:38:28 pm
      Media go on and on about how Chelsea were missing 3 key players.

Well we were missing players too; Agger, Cole, Johnson, Kyrgiakos. 3 of these are, arguably, key players.

Shove it up your arse, media.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #915: Nov 08, 2010 12:47:20 pm
      What a game :clap:

Thursday was Gerrard day, Sunday was Torres day, this week was Liverpool's week ! What a second goal from Torres !
      I hope good results will follow for the Reds. Importants players are here, Reina, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres, if those players are ok Liverpool is ok.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #916: Nov 08, 2010 12:49:56 pm
      Right from the off I was confident when I saw Gerrard was playing in the middle, and NOT being wasted and isolated up front. His composure and passing range brings Lucas, and everyone else in a red shirt more touches, more possession, more confidence. In previous matches when we have looked poor it has been because he has been non influential playing high up the pitch and occasionally when we have been behind he has dropped back in second halves and we have looked a much better team.  It has totally bemused me how it has taken soooooooo long for Hodgson to realise this and I sincerely hope that this is not a one off and he does not return to the old system against supposedly weaker teams. 
      That first half yesterday is our best formation, with two up front, and Gerrard in the middle controlling the match.
      It was always expected that Chelsea would pile on the pressure second half and bring on Drogba, lets face it that's why they have a plus 24 goal difference in a short time this season.
      In the end when the eye of the storm passed we had a couple of chances to add to the score as well. Overall we defended well with backs to the wall and got some help from the woodwork and Reina's fine keeping.
      In one way I am happy because of the great result but I just hope the owner does not shy away from the immediate need for us to add at least one serious player in January.
      Really good performances from Torres, Lucas and Reina as well yesterday. The whole team played their part.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #917: Nov 08, 2010 01:10:10 pm
      I'm buzzing today, awesome feeling!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #918: Nov 08, 2010 01:12:24 pm

Well we were missing players too; Agger, Cole, Johnson, Kyrgiakos. 3 of these are, arguably, key players.

+ Aurelio

And Chelsea won the league without Essien and have hardly had Lampard at all this year, yet are top.

Who cares? 2-0, the media can suck my mangoes.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #919: Nov 08, 2010 01:31:12 pm

Exactly. This was the first thought that crossed my mind.

But then I passed it off as media bollocks. :-\

Quick Reply