Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

How much time should Rafa have been given?

Read 25356 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: How much time should Rafa have been given?
      Reply #46: Nov 08, 2010 09:57:40 pm
      Sure Rafa did exactly that more for less a £10 million net  spend yet he could compete with Chelsea and Utd.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #47: Nov 08, 2010 09:57:56 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #48: Nov 08, 2010 10:00:29 pm

Yeah we could do with robbie in the box chipping in the goals with torres!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #49: Nov 08, 2010 10:00:32 pm
      I'm sorry but I am sick of people jumping on the Rafa bandwagon.   

The guy jumped ship, left us riddled in debt.  Promised us 4th, delivered 7th,

Left for Milan because he didnt like his bosses.

And now people treat it like he won everything while he was here.

He was a nice guy, great for liverpool.  But fu**ed off and left us in a mess

While i don't agree with what you say, i do wish people would move on. Rafa is at another club now, we have a new manager and i would prefer to concentrate on talking about the clubs situation as it stands than what might have been.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #50: Nov 08, 2010 10:02:48 pm
      Yeah I know what you mean i hate it when we talk about Shankly and Paisley we should just forget the memories we have of the wonderful times they gave us. Are you f***in serious.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #51: Nov 08, 2010 10:04:01 pm
      Yeah I know what you mean I hate it when we talk about Shankly and Paisley we should just forget the memories we have of the wonderful times they gave us. Are you f***in serious.

Completely different mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #52: Nov 08, 2010 10:06:04 pm

Yeah I agree! one was scottish,one was english and the other was spanish.

They had the same principles.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #53: Nov 08, 2010 10:09:12 pm
      Yeah we could do with robbie in the box chipping in the goals with torres!
      Only scored 2 in 11 in the A-League has Robbie sadly he's way past it.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #54: Nov 08, 2010 10:09:25 pm
      Yeah I agree! one was scottish,one was english and the other was spanish.

You know what i mean. Shanks and Paisley put the club were it is today. They created a standard for the club to uphold. Rafa upheld it and certainly is up their with them. I have no problem discussing how great the man was or what he did for the club but when it is used in a way that sort of think negatively to the current regime, i resent that. Not that i am a massive Roy fan but i just think it makes the managers job a lot more difficult if people are going on about what might have been with the previous manager.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #55: Nov 08, 2010 10:51:20 pm

That's the worst post Ive ever seen on this forum. Ever.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #56: Nov 08, 2010 11:30:52 pm
      Post like these really get up my nose!

Lets move on from shankly,paisley,fagan,dalglish & lets move on from our history of being the most successfull english team.

FFS.

At least please stop kidding yourselves into thinking that Rafa will be coming back because that's not going to happen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #57: Nov 08, 2010 11:39:09 pm
      At least please stop kidding yourselves into thinking that Rafa will be coming back because that's not going to happen.

Never say never,but i do agree that rafa coming back is a long shot after his stint at inter i see him either at citeh or back in spain.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8656 
      Reply #58: Nov 08, 2010 11:45:49 pm
      I'm sorry but i am sick of people jumping on the Rafa bandwagon.  

The guy jumped ship, left us riddled in debt.  Promised us 4th, delivered 7th,

He was a nice guy, great for liverpool.  But fu**ed off and left us in a mess

And the Sky Sports Liverpool Supporter of the Year Award goes to.........
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #59: Nov 08, 2010 11:51:18 pm
      Not long enough, we talk about backing our managers and players, had one bad season because the squad was stripped and Torres/Gerrard had large spells injured. Total injustice and more reasons to dislike a certain Press and PR group.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #60: Nov 08, 2010 11:52:20 pm
      mods lock this now please
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #61: Nov 09, 2010 12:01:12 am

The guy jumped ship, left us riddled in debt.  

Try pushed out and wasn't given any money to spend due to debt.

What about 2nd the previous season four points from top while being top scorers.

Again pushed out and deemed good enough for the European Champions and League/Cup double winners. Hardly the sign of a poor manager.

But fu**ed off and left us in a mess

When he was forced to leave he left a squad who sent the most players to the World Cup from the Premier League which included players such as Mascherano, Reina, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Maxi and quality young players such as Lucas and Pacheco. Hardly a mess by anyones standards.

If there is/was a Rafa bandwagon I for one am proud to be on it. We do have to move on but Rafa deserved at least one more season as one bad season does not make you a bad manager.

The man is a legend in my eyes and done everything he could for this club and the current boss could learn a lot from him.

You my friend are an idiot.
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 12:18:10 am by srslfc »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #62: Nov 09, 2010 12:08:24 am
      Rafa Benitez was given six years in charge of Liverpool Football Club. Liverpool Football Club exist to win trophies, for four straight years we won nothing under Rafa Benitez. Liverpool Football Club pride themselves on winning League titles, in six years at Liverpool Football Club Rafa Benitez never won the League title.

Yes he was the manager that led us to the Champions League in 2005. The same season we finished fifth and were knocked out of the FA Cup by Burnley. Yes he was the manager that took us to second in the League in 08/09, but since when did 2nd become an achivement for this club? A famous quote by a man named Bob Paisley - "mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." and now we're celebrating a second place finish? That's how far we've fallen and Rafa, like it or not, has played a part in us falling as have many other people.

I'm not gonna go into his transfers because we all have a say on who was a good transfer or not. Some will make out Aurelio is a good signing, while others will slag off that transfer. And there's very few all agree on. I think he made more F**k ups than good buys, but others don't. No point dragging that argument back up just to hear "how can you say that's a bad transfer when we bought him for x amount and sold for twice as much" blah blah blah.

He was given six years and after that we were left with a pretty average side that finished seventh behind a pretty average Aston Villa side. I would of given him one more year to see if he could get us playing like he did in 08/09 but he wasn't. So we have to move on like this club always has. We can sit here and say how many years should of Evans been given or how many years should Don Welsh of got as manager? But we don't, we move on and remember the good times rather than just mope in self pity.

Get over the fact that Rafa Benitez no longer manages Liverpool Football Club.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #63: Nov 09, 2010 12:36:00 am

Why?

Rafa should have been given as long as needed. He was clearly a master tactition, loved by the fans who he himself loved. He loved the club, the city and was everything good about Liverpool FC.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #64: Nov 09, 2010 01:01:05 am
      He built a potential title winning team under difficult circumstances

would of won the league under henry for sure

should of been here another 5 years

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #65: Nov 09, 2010 01:59:36 am
      I'm sorry but i am sick of people jumping on the Rafa bandwagon.   

I don't know  if you can open up a pair off eye's that only look in one direction , does the question deserve an answer, I thought about it and I think the guy should or deserves to be shown where he is going wrong.

First thing Purslow did when he opened the door for Rafa to go was to put a myth around that Rafa left because he wanted to move on, if you believe that you'll believe anything.

Next you blame Rafa for the debt, have you not been living here, have you never heard of the word Leveraged or is it easier to blame a guy who was given around 10 mill a year and told to compete with Chelsea and the mancs, get real son.

I am sad he was sacked because he was made for these owners and he could have been a winner with the right backing, name me a modern manager who took us into the champions league year on year , in the end even Rafa could not go on producing miracles on 10 mill a season.

I do not like this new guy he has done no homework on what he talks about and for getting shot of Aqualini he should be shot, I'll never forgive him for that and although he has eventually started to get the team together I wonder how he would have done working under H&G for 3 and a half years, he had 8 weeks of them and he won one game and it was not until nesv came here did RH finally get it together. I myself do not think we will finish in the top 6 under RH and it's just a matter of time before he stops copying Rafa and reverts to type.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #66: Nov 09, 2010 02:07:53 am
      Six years was enough.

Roy gets blasted for his 'give me 10 games and then judge me', Rafa had a 'five-year plan' and after six we'd only challenged for the league title once. In his first year he made an astounding start giving me one of the best nights of my life as a Pool fan. But, I can't rest on those lurals forever and bring that up six years later as a reason to keep him here longer than the proposed 'five year plan'. He did have very difficult constraints to work under of that there is no doubt and this made life for him even more difficult. But we had Moores here prior to that when money was available albeit not in the same vain as Chelsea's at the time, but never the less that was why he was brought here in the first place, because at Valencia he out fought and outfoxed the money powerhouses of Barca and Madrid. Unforunately the English league proved a different beast altogether and it seemed to take him an eternity to come to terms with English football. He ws infact the next Claudio Raneri, the tinkerman who at one point hadn't playerd the same team in succession for over 90 odd games!

In his final year it was clear his players had lost faith in him, I had lost faith in him (not soley due to the last season but I was far from convinced he was the right man going on the previous seasons, the title challenge season gave me renewed hope in him and then when the next season kicked off that hope when running down the drain). It was clear the players weren't playing for their manager anymore, they were unhappy and perplexed and I think Rafa unfortunately got side tracked into politicking rather than coaching his side, his head ws turned and I think he lost focus. Some of the turgid football in that final season though became the ultimate nail in his coffin, we looked so average it was clear and new approach was needed, things had become stagnent under him and the owner situation didn't help his cause, it made it worse for him.

But when things are going as bad as they were, do you sack a whole team or do you get rid of the one manager? It's a no brainer.
      I will remember Istanbul, the FA cup final and many many memorable CL nights and prem victories along the way but in the end it still wasn't enough to make me truly believe that he'd be the man to get us number 19. Perhaps when he's more experienced, happy in better working conditions with a few personalities out of the way he can come back and prove his worth again. I wouldn't say no in him returning one day, even though at the point in time I felt it was right LFC and he went there seperate ways.

Six years was ample time, it ultimately didn't work out as we'd have liked so a new chapter begins in his career and Liverpool's respectively.
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 02:49:57 am by Rock N Redzer »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #67: Nov 09, 2010 02:11:27 am
      Rafa said he had a 'five-year plan'

First sentence and you're already so wrong I immediately discredited the rest of your post and didn't read.

Gerrard Houllier had the "five year plan".
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #68: Nov 09, 2010 02:17:55 am
      First sentence and you're already so wrong I immediately discredited the rest of your post and didn't read.

Gerrard Houllier had the "five year plan".

Rafa had the same plan.

And it's water off a ducks back whether you're willing to read my post, either way I couldn't give a toss.

Quick Reply