Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Who stays, who goes?

Read 3763 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Who stays, who goes?
      Nov 26, 2010 03:16:29 pm
      With various reports about Agger possibly being on his way out (to cut the wage bill) and JH not approving of the expensive long contracts that have been given to our older players, I was looking at the potential players who may be sold off before their contracts expire.

This topic is not about discussing whether these players should be here, it's about which ones will be shipped out whilst still under contract to try to recoup some sort of fees.

Sotis - already in his 30's, signed on a 2 year deal with a possible 12mth extension.

Konchesky - will be 30 before next season starts, can't remember if he was signed on a 3 or 4 year deal.

Aurelio - 31 when he resigned in the summer on a 2 year deal.

Cole - just turned 29 and signed on a 4 year deal.

Jovanovic - turns 30 before the end of the season.  Not sure on his contract length?

Maxi - turns 30 in January, again not sure on his contract.

Kuyt - already turned 30 his contact ends in 2012.

Pouslon - will be 31 in February, signed on a 4 year contract.

Carra - turns 33 in January and just signed a 2 year extension to his contract.

Stevie - will be 31 when next season starts with a further 2 years to run on his contact.

Obviously Stevie and Carra are one off's as I don't think they will be sold, so the question with these 2 is what do we do with them?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Who stays, who goes?
      Reply #1: Nov 26, 2010 03:23:41 pm
      We will struggle to get rid of a lot of them. No doubt they are on excessive wages. Take Gerrard and Kuyt out and I'd listen to offers for the rest. Doubt we could ship out Cole with his wages, but he has far from justified his wages
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #2: Nov 26, 2010 03:28:25 pm
      I think we should keep quite a few because at the moment we don't have players of the same quality that are younger. This I think the new owners are going to be addressing but it takes time and I can see it taking a few years for their plan to become a reality.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Nov 26, 2010 03:31:20 pm
      I can see Kuyt going to be honest mate.  He's got less time left on his contract and he still has plenty of resale value.

Know what you mean about Cole though I see him staying another season tbh.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #4: Nov 26, 2010 03:35:43 pm

Konchesky - will be 30 before next season starts, can't remember if he was signed on a 3 or 4 year deal.

Aurelio - 31 when he resigned in the summer on a 2 year deal.

Cole - just turned 29 and signed on a 4 year deal.

Carra - turns 33 in January and just signed a 2 year extension to his contract.

These are all contracts agreed by Roy. Who the F**k gives a 31 yr old a four yr deal? :mad:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #5: Nov 26, 2010 04:10:36 pm
      So Roy's youth policy entails making a 30 year old and a 31 year old 4 year deals nice.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Nov 26, 2010 04:23:17 pm
      Konchesky - Should never of been bought

Aurelio - Once fit will prove vital

Cole - Initially he was good, few bad games and an injury.  Ruddy hell.

Maxi - Playin alright lately, but not as good as last season (even tho we did finish 7th)

Pouslon - Still doesnt deserve to wear the shirt

Carra - Should be a bench warmer - coming on late in the match to protect a slim lead.  And he F***ing knows it.  I love the guy, but its a joke he got a new contract when his position on the field depends heavily on speed - which he lost a year back.

RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #7: Nov 26, 2010 04:36:50 pm
      Poulsen doesn't even deserve to know the name of our club
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #8: Nov 26, 2010 04:40:38 pm
      Konchesky - Should never of been bought

Aurelio - Once fit will prove vital

Cole - Initially he was good, few bad games and an injury.  Ruddy hell.

Maxi - Playin alright lately, but not as good as last season (even tho we did finish 7th)

Pouslon - Still doesnt deserve to wear the shirt

Carra - Should be a bench warmer - coming on late in the match to protect a slim lead.  And he f**king knows it.  I love the guy, but its a joke he got a new contract when his position on the field depends heavily on speed - which he lost a year back.

Shoudln't that be IF he ever gets fit. There was a reason why Rafa only offerred him a pay as you play deal.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2871 
      Reply #9: Nov 26, 2010 05:30:21 pm
      Stevie and Sotis can stay. Give Joe Cole some more time to prove himself.

I'd listen to offers for the rest of them.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #10: Nov 26, 2010 06:51:27 pm

Unbelievable.
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #11: Nov 26, 2010 07:04:25 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #12: Nov 26, 2010 07:35:23 pm
      Jesus.. when did our squad get so old..

Were have I been ?!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Nov 26, 2010 07:39:47 pm
      Jesus.. when did our squad get so old..

Were have I been ?!

Between 1st July and 31st August mate  :mad:
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #14: Nov 26, 2010 08:41:02 pm
      I wouldn't ship out Sotis. I'd give him another contract.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: Nov 26, 2010 09:10:50 pm
      Sotis... is cheap, and may be usefull untill the end of his contract (or even have it prolongated untill he is 34 or so) like any good defender whose main quality has never been speed

Carra/Gerrard... are legends and probably giving more money to the club through shirt sales than what their sales would bring ;  will stay untill they decide to retire

Konch... unsellable except at loss, also won't be sold as long Roy is here. His future will more probably being let free around 2012 or 13 by our next manager, once a replacement is found.

Poulsen... the same, except if Sevilla really want his return.

Cole... we need him to have a good season, after that can be sold for a large profit. Untill then would be stupid to sell him. If he completely fails here nobody will want to pay his wages.

Jovanovic... was free and has not given any reason for a club to pay for him yet. May be sold after one good season, but not now.

Maxi... one of the best performers this season. Would be sad to sell him now. Now, after this good season, I see him sellable in the summer for a little more than peanuts (but he don't worth a lot anyway).

Agger... Selling him in january is probably better than keeping him if Roy stay here and only use him as Konchesky's 85th minute sub. Out of that, not sure that a club is ready to pay 9 millions or so for an injury prone defender plagued with strange and probably long term problems, as good he is.

Kuyt... Perhaps the only one with Agger who can be sold for more than zero actually,  but I don't see him go before summer as well.

Aurelio... Totally unsellable imo, will probably end his contract in our infirmery, being usefull one every ten matches (=when he is fit) untill then.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 26, 2010 10:12:47 pm
      These are all contracts agreed by Roy. Who the f**k gives a 31 yr old a four yr deal? :mad:

... Who the f**k gives Poulsen any sort of deal?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #17: Nov 26, 2010 10:54:48 pm
      The average age of our squad is really worrying now and in that list of players apart from Stevie and proabaly Sotis I'd listen to any decent offers for the rest providing they are being replaced by younger up and coming players or some of the younger players like Wilson, Kelly and Pacheco really getting some chances.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #18: Nov 27, 2010 06:24:32 am
      Kyrgiakos - keep for another season, option to extend a further year if enough games played.

Konchesky - sell, not good enough to be first choice.  not versatile (it's not like he can play CB as well) and probably gets paid too much to be a 2nd string LB without offering anything else.

Aurelio - nobody wanted him on a free, doubt we'll see a fee paid for him.

Cole - cash in ASAP, would actually command a couple of million in transfer fees and his wages are stupidly high for what he brings to the table.

Jovanovic - here until 2013, wouldn't hesitate getting rid of him early for a fair price but his wages are reasonable, he
      came on a free so i'm not too bothered.

Maxi - again here until 2013, wages are a little high so for that reason I'd listen to offers but if he's playing most weeks I think he justifies his wages.

Kuyt - i think Kuyt is actually contracted until 2014, either way i think he's a good role model for the younger players.  I'd keep around and let him leave on a free in 2014.

Pouslon - pay his wages and he's yours.

Carra - pay his wages and he's yours.

Stevie - not showing any signs of slowing down, worth keeping even on his really high wages.

edit: Babel should be on that list.  I think he'll be gone this window.  Deal runs out in 2012, someone will offer £9m or so and we'll take it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Nov 27, 2010 07:14:22 am
      Makes me laugh when I read that Gerrard is 'worth keeping'.

What a glowing reference.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #20: Nov 27, 2010 04:24:33 pm
      Makes me laugh when I read that Gerrard is 'worth keeping'.

What a glowing reference.

I know it looks like I'm selling him short but the thread is either keep, listen to offers or get rid of - keep or worth keeping is about as good as you're going to get on this thread.  I rate Steven Gerrard as one of the greatest players of this generation and the best I've personally watched in a Liverpool shirt, so don't think I don't rate the guy, he's ace :)

edit: You can't deny that those kind of wages at his age need to be considered a little more than "yeah but he's Gerrard so we should keep paying them".
      « Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010 04:43:29 pm by vitez »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Nov 28, 2010 08:29:56 am
      Babel, Cole, Jovavavic - I would try and cash these guys in. They haven't proved good enough for me.

Kuyt - Still working as hard as ever, I'd keep him for attitude alone.

Pouslon - Sell him to Everton  ;D

Maxi - Definetly improved this season, I'd keep him.

Kyrgiakos - Our best defender this season, Keep.

Carragher and Stevie - Never sell, Leave of there own free will when they decide, but Carra's starting 11 days will be limited.
      plz-be-top4
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 28, 2010 09:16:32 am
      Keep maxi steve kuyt and kyrgiakos sell all the retards who can't handle the ball good enough to be in a world class team !!! :@

Quick Reply