Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

FIFA Reputation In Tatters

Read 8592 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Reply #46: Dec 03, 2010 11:52:32 am
      China's nailed on for 2026 apparently.

More money for FIFA!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #47: Dec 03, 2010 12:05:13 pm
      FIFA with the help of that F***ing whopper Sepp Blatter lost all credibility years ago and it really is beyond belief the F***ing clown is still in office.
      No surprise the disclosures surfaced last week about the massive corruption in the organisation from the very top to presumably the lower tiers of power.
      The only way Blatter could retain power is being perched on layer upon layer of festering corruption with everyone doing favours for favours.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #48: Dec 03, 2010 12:12:57 pm
      I think if england had done a joint bid say with scotland or wales then maybe we could of had a better chance.

If england wanted it that bad then im sure they could of laid on a sweetner to fifa.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Dec 03, 2010 02:27:09 pm
      Let's be honest here - Wined, dined and (very likely) sixty-nined; the FIFA delegates 'gift' of the World Cup to both Russia and Qatar were not based on any philanthropic ideal. ...it's a fallacy to suggest that hosting the World Cup will bring peace, harmony, wealth to the populace or an end to racism in 'emerging' nations.

If only the respective Associations had been made aware that: 'only countries with vast mineral wealth, limited or no democracy, are controlled by oligarchs and have no infrastructure need apply'; then they could have saved themselves an awful lot of money, time and heartache.

I can fully understand the anger and resentment felt in England, Spain/Portugal, The Netherlands/Belgium, Australia and the U.S. - what's wrong is wrong.  :-\

Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #50: Dec 03, 2010 02:36:56 pm
      Im all for helping areas such as Russia & Qatar advance as countries and such through hosting the tournament.

But not at the expense of football fans all over the world.

How many fans are going to make the journey to Russia/Qatar as compared to UK/Aus/USA?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #51: Dec 03, 2010 03:35:52 pm
      Did FIFA have a reputation in the first place? Not in my eyes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #52: Dec 03, 2010 04:04:56 pm
      Put it this way, Australia and USA are much bigger markets to venture in to. They missed the boat. The two countries are amongst the highest spenders and investors in sport in the world, and the fan base is extremely loyal in both nations, yet they go to Russia and Qatar. Bad move.

What makes it worse is that both their domestic leagues need a boost, and that boost they would get would be huge. Huge! And the bigger a league is, it shows that the national side reaps the rewards. What prospect does Qatar have on the international scene?

What do they expect in Qatar? They could get at least 500,000 people in to football in Australia, plus even more to crowds at the A-League, which already would be more investment in to the sport than the entire Qatari population. And the spectacle and desire of a WC in Qatar will be diminished once the WC is over when they sell off their stadiums and it's back to the same deserted land.

Really poor decision. Really, really poor.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #53: Dec 03, 2010 04:06:11 pm
      Let's be honest here - Wined, dined and (very likely) sixty-nined; the FIFA delegates 'gift' of the World Cup to both Russia and Qatar were not based on any philanthropic ideal. ...it's a fallacy to suggest that hosting the World Cup will bring peace, harmony, wealth to the populace or an end to racism in 'emerging' nations.

If only the respective Associations had been made aware that: 'only countries with vast mineral wealth, limited or no democracy, are controlled by oligarchs and have no infrastructure need apply'; then they could have saved themselves an awful lot of money, time and heartache.

I can fully understand the anger and resentment felt in England, Spain/Portugal, The Netherlands/Belgium, Australia and the U.S. - what's wrong is wrong.  :-\

Let's not forget the oligarchs that currently hold a disproportionate measure of power in FIFA and indeed our own FA - what goes around comes around.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #54: Dec 03, 2010 07:19:09 pm
      Apparently homosexuality is still punishable with prison sentances?

On top of Islamic laws meaning prohibbting the consumution of alchol?

Can't see homosexual alcholics much of a good time in Qatar 2022..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #55: Dec 03, 2010 07:22:08 pm
      I think if england had done a joint bid say with scotland or wales then maybe we could of had a better chance.

If england wanted it that bad then im sure they could of laid on a sweetner to fifa.

Sweetener - just a polite word for bribe isn't it?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #56: Dec 03, 2010 07:24:49 pm
      They're dismantling 10 of the 12 stadiums and building 22 new stadiums in developing nations.

Can someone tell me if I'm correct.

Sounds like it. Honestly, what a F***ing waste of time. Why host a world cup in a nation that can't even make use of the F***ing stadiums? A country that hosts a competition such as this should at least have some form of identity in sports - Qatar has none, and will never have one, as its just not that kinda nation. The fact that most who live there are outsiders there for business shows the identity of the nation.

And as people have said - FIFAs reasons for being there are as far from good as you could imagine. Trying to justify it as a good thing is stupid, because thats not why FIFA chose it. Won't change much at all IMO, apart from provide one big terrorist target right next door. Heres hoping the security is absolute top notch!

Apparently homosexuality is still punishable with prison sentances?

On top of Islamic laws meaning prohibbting the consumution of alchol?

Can't see homosexual alcholics much of a good time in Qatar 2022..

Yup, we are also seeing a world cup in a nation of homophobes. Could well be a gay football player playing there when its on, not outside the realms of possibility. What would he think of that?

Backwards nation as far as its Laws go, F***ing bullshit.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #57: Dec 03, 2010 07:40:13 pm
      If they wanted it to go to new territories then they should have said so from the start. If this is the case how does Australia not qualify you cant get much newer than there. It would have been a good fit for their criteria but they did worse than us.
      Like most things now in modern life things are just too complicated and it should be judged on footballing terms not on cloak and dagger politics.
      How good is Blatter at saying one thing to your face then sticking a knife in your back as soon as it is turned.Hopefully the Journo's will go to town and make him  squirm a bit.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #58: Dec 03, 2010 07:43:12 pm
      Sweetener - just a polite word for bribe isn't it?

It is how the world operates mate.

Backwards nation as far as its Laws go, f**king bullshit.

Get over it you still have a chance in 2080 ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Dec 03, 2010 07:47:37 pm
      It is how the world operates mate.

Now it's not, it's just how corrupt people want you to think the world is run.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #60: Dec 03, 2010 07:53:14 pm
      Now it's not, it's just how corrupt people want you to think the world is run.

From street level to board room level to presidents of countries it happens,its not what you know its who you know as the saying goes.

The world is corrupt.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Dec 03, 2010 08:01:12 pm
      From street level to board room level to presidents of countries it happens,its not what you know its who you know as the saying goes.

The world is corrupt.

Not everything is, but by acquiescing to it, you make yourself corrupt.  I know a few people who got on by doing there job well & not by who they know. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #62: Dec 03, 2010 09:38:42 pm
      Not everything is, but by acquiescing to it, you make yourself corrupt.  I know a few people who got on by doing there job well & not by who they know. 

Totally agree.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #63: Dec 03, 2010 10:51:54 pm
      There are many reasons why neither Russia or Qatar should host the world cup, but we are missing the main reason.... Supporters!! FIFA does not give a sh*t about the supporters who have to travel to these events.  it is the same with UEFA and their hosting of the champions league in far flung stadiums that are a nightmare for people to get to.

Visas and cost will be a huge problem in Russia, as will the huge distances fans will have to travel between cities.

Russia and FIFA is a cosy match though.  neither like freedom of the press. Putin can put an arm round Sepp and tell him that unlike that pesky free press in the UK, he does not have to worry about the Russian Media, as he has it all under control!  Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world.  Again FIFA can relate to this.  Many decisions in Russia are done in secret, and with no accountability (see freedom of press) between a small hiarchy of people... again FIFA like this concept.

As for the middle east in june/july.  my god fans will need to walk round with a drip in order not to de-hydrate.  temps up to 50 degrees. Apparantlely the stadiums are going to be built with open roofs but have some completely tried and untested cooling system that pumps air into the stadium.  This bid was considered very high risk in every way, so we have the right to ask.....how the F**k did they get it????  What mind set is there in FIFA, when the pre bid technical inspection goes to the bidding country, see's no stadiums at all, no fan base, has a tiny population, no lasting legacy, no footballing history and the presentation is just a set of space age pretty drawings giving details of a theoretical cooling technology, and the think, yeah...that's the one for us!  and the government of Qatar will pay for the stadiums!! but excuse me, aren't governents not allowed to get involved in the running of football at national level.  seems like it is ok when it suits FIFA.

I'm not saying England should have got it, but they had a very compelling case.  Why set such high criteria for bids, and then vote for those countries that are the furthest away from meeting those criteria.

Spain and Holland/Belgium's bid was excellent, and yes the Spanish are also pissed off.  They cannot understand the decision either!

as for Australia and the USA, they have even more reason to think this is a stitch up.  they Have great stadiums, growing support, transport networks, hotels, places to eat.  In fact all the same things that would make staging the world cup in those countries great for the supporters visiting, and the same can be said for Spain, Belgium/Holland and England.

All of the losing countries have another thing in common.. a free press and media and democracy (i know Russia does, but it's not exactly a model version).

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #64: Dec 03, 2010 10:58:56 pm
      I didn't have an issue with South Africa hosting the World Cup. The setting more than made up for the dull football on offer. But do you think I will get excited over the setting in Russia and Qatar, especially Qatar? No. Qatar is a dust bowl and I know, not think, I will absolutely hate that World Cup. As a massive F1 fan I've seen F1 races go to the middle east in the past few years and not only are the tracks their boring, the fanbase is shockingly bad and has made NO strides whatsoever...apart from more sponsorship deals from the middle east being plastered all over the place.

If anyone thinks Qatar was chosen to somehow 'develop' football then you are having a right laugh. It really couldn't be a worse place to host the World Cup and there is no exaggeration in that!
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #65: Dec 04, 2010 01:58:35 am
      No. Qatar is a dust bowl and I know, not think, I will absolutely hate that World Cup. As a massive F1 fan I've seen F1 races go to the middle east in the past few years and not only are the tracks their boring, the fanbase is shockingly bad and has made NO strides whatsoever...apart from more sponsorship deals from the middle east being plastered all over the place.
      You say Qatar is a dust bowl and bring up the F1 tracks. I don't know about you, but i'd say the Abu Dhabi circuit is as far from 'dust bowl' as possible, and the scenery is stunning. The same will go with the Qatari world cup. Though i agree with you that the two Middle Eastern tracks have been boring, you can't compare F1 with how football is played.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #66: Dec 04, 2010 10:00:58 am
      A couple of things I heard on the Radio yesterday. May have been said already.

We could hold the World Cup tomorrow. No profit for FIFA.

Russia and Qatar need to build stadia, by "Approved FIFA Contractors"

We would leave "No legacy" as our staidia are here, but Qatar are going to dismantle there  Air Conditioned stadia and "give" them to African countries. Ok fine. But I have BIG issues here.

Air Conditioned Stadia, the cost of running them, the cross infection of A/C. What happens when they break? The Green House effect of all the energy being used.

How are the stadia going to be transported and who is going to pay for them? Which African country is going to want an A/C Football ground when they can not pay for general health care.

FIFA are just interested in PROFIT and the associated Kickbacks.

Can anyone tell me what the Press are saying in other countries? Dexter? anyone. It's not sour grapes. But this is a farce.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #67: Dec 04, 2010 02:46:48 pm
      You say Qatar is a dust bowl and bring up the F1 tracks. I don't know about you, but I'd say the Abu Dhabi circuit is as far from 'dust bowl' as possible, and the scenery is stunning. The same will go with the Qatari world cup. Though I agree with you that the two Middle Eastern tracks have been boring, you can't compare F1 with how football is played.

I'm merely comparing the two commercially. But we're likely to get the same lack of enthusiasm for the surroundings as we do in Bahrain/Abu Dhabi GP.

Personally I think Abu Dhabi GP is a terribly manufactured piece of commercial guff including the scenery.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #68: Dec 04, 2010 03:59:52 pm
      Spot on good post there Redprint.
      Just out of curiosity how many Womens teams do Qatar or Russia for that matter have? I am not a big fan of the womens game but if football development is a key motivator how do they intend to improve that situation.

Quick Reply