Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (3.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (6.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (52.2%)
      Raul Meireles
      (14.6%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (1.9%)
      Ryan Babel
      (13.4%)
      David N'gog
      (8.3%)

Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match Satisfaction

Read 48940 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Re: Liverpool 3 -0 Aston Villa: Post Match Satisfaction
      Reply #598: Dec 06, 2010 10:12:14 pm
      Great win. Everybody except for Dirk and Konchesky (shocker) were great. Meireles was F***ing boss.

Hopefully we'll build on that.

Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #599: Dec 06, 2010 10:12:43 pm
      Smashing result. Good goals, all three!

Motm Lucas.

Babel did well finally.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #600: Dec 06, 2010 10:13:09 pm
      A win! and no on e is excited about it. Like it was another draw.

I say we can challenge for the top 4.

I think that is the problem.  We all know the team/squad is capable of doing that.  Roy doesn't seem to believe it.  Plus his tactical set up is that of an underdog team - especially away from home.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #601: Dec 06, 2010 10:13:16 pm
      Thought the worst players for us was Kuyt and Skrtel.

Agree on Kuyt, was sh*te, but for me Skrtl was pushing MOTM performances. Not easy to defend against the pace of Delfonso and Agbonlahor, then the power and strength of Carew, but him and Soto stopped everything before it happened, also he won the initial header for the Ngog goal.

Bit confused as to what he did wrong for you.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #602: Dec 06, 2010 10:13:54 pm
      Lucas MOTM for me, midfield were superb the only negative was Kuyt, his control was shocking, at last we have a positive goal difference, pretty bad seeing we are nearly half way through the season. Some lovely passing tonight some positives, lets move on and upwards
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #603: Dec 06, 2010 10:15:11 pm
      I see Sky are at the same propaganda sh*t backing Hodgson. What tonight tells me with the right manager, a couple of additions we could do quite well.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #604: Dec 06, 2010 10:15:49 pm
      Job done, good performance all round bar Kuyt, he was bad. Lucas MOTM for me, really shows what confidence can do to a player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #605: Dec 06, 2010 10:16:28 pm
      Pepe rocking the snood :D Quickest 100 clean sheets in Liverpool's history. Love it. Where's my Reina jersey?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #606: Dec 06, 2010 10:17:46 pm
      Just ignoring Andy Gray's comments. Given up entertaining the sh*te that comes out of his mouth every week.

Good win but we must win the next four games. Newcastle at away, Fulham at home, Blackpool away and Wolves at home should all be 3 pointers.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      Reply #607: Dec 06, 2010 10:18:54 pm
      Clemence was a great keeper but  Pepe is fantastic.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #608: Dec 06, 2010 10:19:32 pm
      Not getting carried away by tonight's great win ....we were superb! I'd like two MOTM Lucas and Meirelles,both were totally in control and giving good ball consistently ,Sotis has been a tremendous addition to our squad ,great effort redmen !!!! ...happy tonight
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #609: Dec 06, 2010 10:19:42 pm
      good result.

1) Lucas Leiva, you were brilliant mate, highlight was the assist and that spinning tackle on the floor that you won. Fast becoming a big influence on our style and play.

2) in addition to the last point, the Lucas + Meireles partnership is brilliant, it's no coincedence that when the 2 of these started to play together consistently in the middle of the park, our form picked up. The two play with such calmness and style and can both get forward and defend, proper centre-midfielders.

3) Maxi, you took our advice and took a shot and look what happened!

4) Babel, all the pressure was on you coming into that match, many thought the game was your last chance to impress, many thought you didn't deserve to start, I though you deserved it after the last night's performance. You led the line brilliantly and took your goal well. well done.

5) our home form is pretty decent tbh.

6) Roy's subs still baffle me, his tactics tonight were grand I think, but he waited 72 minutes for his first sunstitution, and it was a full-back for a winger. If you want Aurelio to get fitness, fair enough, but bring him on full-back then.

All-in-all good result :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #610: Dec 06, 2010 10:19:46 pm
      Good 3 points tonight lads. Yeah, Villa aren't great by any stretch of the imajination but, as individuals, they still have a decent midfield and Lucas and Merieles bossed it. They were instrumental in making Villa look bad. They knew our form wasn't great and they came expecting to get something from the game. As a Lucas basher, I have to hol;d my hand up and say I saw just 1 pass go astray in 2nd half, and I can't remember him missing a tackle apart from the foul on Pires. Awesome display from him tonight. Not only did we keep working, we worked a lot more in Villas half, pressing the ball and not sitting back. What a difference. Will we be able to keep it up. Hope so, 4th isn't that far away now, have to keep the momentum going. Few players upped thier game tonight, out of the shadow of Gerrard , Torres and Carragher. They must draw a lot of pride and belief from that. Long may it continue. Come on you mighty reds. I'm feeling a bit more positive now. Just a bit.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa: Post Match Satisfaction
      Reply #611: Dec 06, 2010 10:25:40 pm
      We have had a good result but letts not get carried away Villa were very poor.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #612: Dec 06, 2010 10:26:22 pm
      That was the kind of match all 'Pool fans want to watch on a more regular basis: crisp incisive passing, great general team performance with heaps of commitment, flair and attacking forward thinking football. All in all, as many have already said-a very comfortable victory. After a valiant but ultimately disappointing loss away to Tottenham, its nice to see we have picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off and stuck to the task at hand: ensuring Champions League football for next season.
      Now the real test will be if we can play just as well away from the new fortress Anfield, and start making some headway with regards to picking up points on the road. With our run in to Christmas and the New Year looking like a great chance to pick up many more valuable points, long may the winning continue...and who knows where we might be on the table come the New Year. Its going to be nothing if not interesting. Well done lads! :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #613: Dec 06, 2010 10:28:52 pm
      Was difficult to choose the man of the match because I felt all the names up there played well.

Wasn't really happy with the second half even though we scored a goal because Villa looked like they had more of the ball and imagine if that their early chance in the second half had gone in, it would be totally different.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #614: Dec 06, 2010 10:31:18 pm
      brilliant thats more like it high tempo 1-2 touch quick passing a joy to watch

Meireles MOM for me but Lucas , Ngog and Babel had very good games as well and also thought Johnson looked back to his best

well played u reds :)
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #615: Dec 06, 2010 10:37:32 pm
      Baby Boy for Nando then.. Congrats
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #616: Dec 06, 2010 10:38:52 pm
        yeah ,his name is leo   :)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #617: Dec 06, 2010 10:39:14 pm
      Another comfortable victory against a poor Villa side, would have liked to have seen a few more goals though feel we eased up in the second half a bit. Nevertheless a good team performance after the setback at Spurs.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Aston Villa
      Reply #618: Dec 06, 2010 10:39:52 pm
      Not sure if its right but Im pretty sure Maxi is wearing what soft footballers call a snood.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #619: Dec 06, 2010 10:43:55 pm

sign him up :)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #620: Dec 06, 2010 10:46:31 pm
      Villa were pretty average but to our credit, we didn't just edge the game we took control of it and never looked like losing.  When the biggest complaint is that we didn't bring on the likes of Shelvey and Kelly around the 60-70 minute mark and give them a decent amount of game time, you can't be too disappointed with how it panned out.

Huge congratulations to captain Pepe with his 100th clean sheet setting a new Liverpool record in the process, the man truly deserves it.  He's also still unbeaten as skipper :)
      Johnson was superb in attack and great in defense, Konchesky was well, himself but without quality up against him so he didn't look too out of his depth.  Skrtel and the big Greek I thought did well, saw a few people not convinced of Skrtel's ability, I quite rate the lad.  Lovely to see Kelly get 10 odd minutes at CB although he didn't really do anything.

Maxi's hit a solid run of form and long may it continue, I think he's playing even better than he was last year.  Could be due to his switch to the left flank, nice to see Aurelio get some minutes (although I would have personally preferred some of the young guns).  Lucas and Meireles showed why many fans think they should be the number 1 central pairing and given Hodgson some food for though (hint: don't listen to Sky, they don't know sh*t - Gerrard's best position is right wing in a 4-4-2 or playing off the striker in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1).  They just compliment each other very well, Lucas was my MOTM tonight and it's brilliant to see Poulsen being kept out of the team.  Kuyt had a shocker sadly and probably should have been replaced earlier in favour of Cole who could have used with the match fitness.

Babel seems to have really lifted his work rate and was rewarded tonight (great celebration too), he looked good and was constantly dangerous.  Really hope he gets another shot next week and gets the nod ahead of Kuyt who could do with a short rest while he regains some form.  N'Goal did very well and truthfully if the lad was English, they'd be rating and raving about him.  He'll be 22 in April and is slowly but steadily improving, I like the kid.

If the main talking point after the performance is about how Gerrard will fit back into the lineup without disrupting the team harmony and complaints about not bringing on the youngsters earlier, can't have been too bad in truth.  Villa were distinctly average yes, but we did the job and did it relatively convincingly.  Not going to lie, I still dread our away fixtures but at least Woy's got me feeling a little more positive about home games at least.  We've ascended to the lofty heights of 8th and positive goal difference, now if we could only build on that.

Quick Reply