Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Give Babel the chance.

Read 5334 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Give Babel the chance.
      Dec 07, 2010 10:56:32 am
      I have said it before that given Ryan Babel a shot upfront would pay dividends. Now this is not a knee jerk reaction just because he scored against Villa, he has already said that he thinks his best position is striker. Hes quick, he can score and he still has youth on his side. If he was given a shot i think his work rate would pick up because this is obviously his favoured position. The facts are there that Torres needs a partner. Why should we spend countless millions on untested strikers when this guy could, potencialy do it all. We,ve all had a dig at Babel on here, myself included but if we can give him the chance in the position that he favours, even if its untill january, if it does,nt work out then by all means we can sell him but if he can work hard and make this position his own then we could have our goal machine. Not forgeting this guy is still only 24 plus we have the ever improving N,gog also. Do we really need to spend in January on a striker. I would rather spend in other areas than spending money needlessly, thats got us into trouble in the past. Its just my opinion. I,d like to see it happen.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Give Babel the chance.
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2010 11:07:33 am
      1 decent game in comparison with 10+ other poor games upfront is not enough to convince me he deserves to be here.

If he gets the chance again and puts in another performance then maybe.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2010 11:11:41 am
      I always felt he deserved more game time so we can see what he's capable of from a run of games but I changed my mind because his performances as a substitute in his short time on the field shows exactly why he doesn't get starting 11 spots.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2010 11:12:33 am
      If Babel plays every game like he did last night then I'd be happy to eat my words about him and keep him but he needs to do a hell of a lot more to convince me.

One performance against a weak Villa side is not enough evidence he has turned a corner.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2010 11:36:38 am
      He is way too inconsitent and way too selfish.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2010 11:39:20 am
      He has let us down too many times to convince me that a goal against Villa means he'll come good.

The only argument I can think of to keep Babel is... 'if he goes somewhere else he'll end up being amazing for them knowing our luck.'

He needs to step up and put in the effort consistently and prove he is worthy of us. The jury is still very much out.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2010 11:45:34 am
      He is way too inconsistent and way too selfish.

Nothing he did last night changed my mind either, caught off side far to often including the goal, which he did take well all be it with a lucky brush off his face to set it up. Ngog looked far more impressive.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2010 11:47:54 am
      I'd test him alongside Torres for a match to see if he is doing better than N'Gog in what he considers his natural position.

But I still have more faith in the french.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #8: Dec 07, 2010 11:48:26 am
      I would give him a run of games up there as well, he can also interchange with Kuyt on the right to keep defenders on their toes.

Newcastle away at the weekendso why not.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2010 11:50:31 am
      Play him every game until end of  January, and if he still doesn't deliver then we must sell him then or in the Summer.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2010 11:52:38 am
      One thing about him is, his decision making is fairly poor. When it should be a pass or a shot, he does the other and some times dilly dallies on the ball too long.

I always thought he has the pace, the strength and the shot but he doesn't know how to use them to good use and for a 24 year old, that's not good enough.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2010 11:54:57 am
      One thing about him is, his decision making is fairly poor. When it should be a pass or a shot, he does the other and some times dilly dallies on the ball too long.

I always thought he has the pace, the strength and the shot but he doesn't know how to use them to good use and for a 24 year old, that's not good enough.

Fair point but perhaps if he is given game time that will develop.

When you have 10 minute cameos here and there you have to try things differently and not play the safe option.

I would give him a go regardless of his so called faults this weekend and see what he can do up top with Torres.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2010 11:58:14 am
      Fair point but perhaps if he is given game time that will develop.

When you have 10 minute cameos here and there you have to try things differently and not play the safe option.

I would give him a go regardless of his so called faults this weekend and see what he can do up top with Torres.

Yeah, I used to say it isn't easy to get into a game when you come on for 10 or 15 minutes and especially if your team isn't winning.

He played well last night and in the Europa League but it was his 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons which have been really disappointing after his first season.

If he can stop trying to take on 3 players, he can be a much better player. Having said that, didn't see him try to take on multiple players anymore :laugh:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2010 01:33:16 pm
      This fella was put on this planet to do my head in. In his player thread up until maybe 12 months ago I defended him and said give him time. Eventually he wore me down and I lost all time I had for him. Now hes put 2 good games together back to back and scored Id say leave him there against Newcastle and see if he continues his decent form. What would the point in dropping him now be? Leave him out and thats him finished I think.

Leave him have a run and see what happens
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2010 01:44:13 pm
      Nothing he did last night changed my mind either, caught off side far to often including the goal, which he did take well all be it with a lucky brush off his face to set it up. Ngog looked far more impressive.

Agree with all of this. He was selfish pretty much all night, he was offside more than David Ngog! Which is saying something! The brush of his face for the goal sums babel up for me. He is a strange player, who never seem sto have control of the ball, and his goal was another example. Except this time it came off (his face) for him.

At 24 you can hardly say he has youth on his side, he is in his prime from now to the next 4 years I would say.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,623 posts | 3854 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Dec 07, 2010 01:47:14 pm
      Give him a chance alright. . . Shop Window - January Sale. That'll do me.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Dec 07, 2010 02:11:58 pm
      I reckon he would be a much better player if he were to play up front, As he did at Ajax. Although, he will most probably leave in the summer to Villa or the like. He could be a great player for us if Roy played him in the right position up with Nando or behind him if Gerrard is out.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #17: Dec 07, 2010 02:17:55 pm

I thought he did OK.  like you say, caught offside to often. even the goal was offside. Ngog, much more of a team player. good awareness and movement for his goal, and great play to set up Maxi.  He seems to be learning and getting stronger.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2010 02:22:17 pm
      He always seemed to be not Liverpool material and he's done nothing to dispel that assumption, far too inconsistent.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19: Dec 07, 2010 03:15:50 pm
      There seems to be an even bigger majority for him to leave than there is for Roy to.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Dec 07, 2010 04:03:45 pm
      He is so damn boss in Fifa too. Keep him so I don't have to buy him in Fifa 12 :)

But in all seriousness I think he should get a couple more games at CF, if he can't put out good games, sell him. His talent is intriguing enough to get a few million. He would definitely be good as a makeweight for a winger, left back or CF in January. Could shave 6-9 mill off the transfer price.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Dec 07, 2010 04:36:11 pm
      Not for me. Don't rate him, probably never will, and the next time he plays we all know he'll be back to the same sh*te we are so accustomed to seeing from Babel #19.

Credit for the Villa game, but that's once in a blue moon.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #22: Dec 07, 2010 04:50:07 pm
      Not for me. Don't rate him, probably never will, and the next time he plays we all know he'll be back to the same sh*te we are so accustomed to seeing from Babel #19.

Credit for the Villa game, but that's once in a blue moon.
      Is correct mate, consistency and Babel are complete strangers.

Quick Reply