Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 26th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Liverpool v South China (Pre Season Barclays Trophy)

Read 3435 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Liverpool v South China (Pre Season Barclays Trophy)
      Jul 23, 2007 11:16:44 pm
      Please keep discussion concerning Internet Streams for this game in the Stream thread
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1288.0.html

Kick off at 1:30pm UK Time.

Third attempt for Torres to get that first goal.

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007 11:50:19 pm by koolkidda »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Re: Liverpool v South China (Pre Season Barclays Trophy)
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2007 11:48:19 pm
      From left to right:

?? - Riise - Agger? - Finnan - Gerrard - ?? - Carragher (after eating some pies)? - Crouch - someone on drugs? - Reina

Anyone help fill in the blanks?

Oh and not going to make a prediction because I know as much about South China as I do about my broken boiler.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jul 24, 2007 12:38:11 am
      From left to right:

?? - Riise - Agger? - Finnan - Gerrard - ?? - Carragher (after eating some pies)? - Crouch - someone on drugs? - Reina

Anyone help fill in the blanks?

Oh and not going to make a prediction because I know as much about South China as I do about my broken boiler.

From left to right: someone's had a few Stella's? - Riise - Kuyt - Finnan - Gerrard - Alonso - Carragher - Crouch - Agger - Reina??

I'll stick my neck out and go for another win for the mighty reds. 3-0!

Supposed to be at a course for work tomorrow. I can feel a doctors appointment coming on.......
      lunchai
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2007 04:55:38 am
      nice t-shirt... just wonder where I can get it
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #4: Jul 24, 2007 07:37:31 am
      From LFC.TV

As Liverpool prepare for their opening game of the 2007 Barclays Asia Trophy, Liverpoolfc.tv provide the lowdown on opponents South China FC...

Hong Kong-based South China, nicknamed Shaolin Temple or the Caroliners, earned their place in the Barclays Asia Trophy by capturing the Hong Kong FA Cup at the end of last season when they defeated Happy Valley 3-1.

That victory completed a treble for South China as they also finished champions of the Hong Kong First Division League and won the Hong Kong Senior Shield.

They were on course to win all four major domestic trophies for the third season in their history but were felled at the semi-final stage of the League Cup.

Despite that, the 2006-07 season marked a highly successful return to South China for Brazilian coach Casemiro Mior, who earned himself the Coach of the Year award in the process.

Mior managed the club for the first time 15 years ago when he guided them to the league title.

South China recently ended it’s ‘all Chinese’ policy and will be represented by a number of players from across the globe when they compete against Liverpool, Portsmouth and Fulham.

While Chinese players still dominate the squad, it has since been complemented with players from Brazil, Portugal and Serbia.

One of the most impressive arrivals in the foreign invasion is striker Detinho. The Brazilian finished top scorer in Hong Kong's top flight as he scored 15 goals in just 18 starts.

South China will also be looking for big things from defender Chan Wai Ho - who became the most expensive player in Hong Kong history when he moved from Hong Kong Rangers for HKD400, 000 in April.

South China are Hong Kong’s most successful club, winning the Hong Kong League 28 times, the Senior Shield 20 times, the FA Cup nine times and the League Cup once.

While not a lot may be known of the on Merseyside, South China do have a few links with Liverpool.

Current first team coach Alex Miller once coached them, while former Hong Kong-born Anfield apprentice Tim Bredbury played for them.

Their home colours are red shirts with white sleeves, white shorts and red socks.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2007 10:17:07 am

Easy boys! Left to right: Hyypia; Riise; Kuyt; Finnan; Gerrard; Alonso; Carragher; Crouch; Agger; Reina

EASY! EASY! :D
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2007 01:03:05 pm
      I've heard Gerrard and Torres won't be taking part tonight, not even as a sub. Crouch and Voronin to start up top.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Jul 24, 2007 02:18:10 pm
      Rasping free kicks in this match!  :o I'm fortunate enough to be off while this ones on ;)
      From left to right: someone's had a few Stella's? - Riise - Kuyt - Finnan - Gerrard - Alonso - Carragher - Crouch - Agger - Reina??

I'll stick my neck out and go for another win for the mighty reds. 3-0!

Supposed to be at a course for work tomorrow. I can feel a doctors appointment coming on.......

Hyypia - Riise - Kuyt - Finnan - Gerrard - Alonso - Carragher - Crouch - Agger (thought Kewell at first tho) - Reina

Torres, Leiva and Babel are not figuring in the match today due to international clearance. This is because this is deemed a proper tournament rather than a friendly! :laugh:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,491 posts | 2867 
      Reply #8: Jul 24, 2007 02:21:11 pm
      Liverpool 2 - 1 South China

Riise free kick and Alonso Penalty
      Carson should have saved South china's goal
      Cy
      Reply #9: Jul 24, 2007 02:27:27 pm
      Riise free kick, 20 yards from goal nearly in front of goal, straight on top left corner a classic. Alonso penalty for a foul on Voronin arguable, not a great penalty though but in.

South China goal, stunning really, 40/45 yards free kick top right corner, I think Carson dosen't save that because he can't believe the South China player is actually going for goal, a top class free kick nonetheles.
      2-1 Liverpool...a good game to watch.

Carson

Arbeloa, Carra, Agger, riise

Bennayoun, MOMO, Alonso, Kewell

Crouch Voronin

so far....
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 02:43:48 pm by Cy »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 24, 2007 02:31:23 pm
      They're a suprise package, with some tricky attacking! Should be a good second half!  :)

And yes, that free kick should have been saved!

Nothing they could do about Riise's! Shabby wall that!
      Cy
      Reply #11: Jul 24, 2007 02:59:54 pm
      55th  minutes..Kuyt and Pennant for Crouch and Kewell...still 2-1...
      66 th minute..Finnan for Benayoun..probably the most physical game for the reds so far..
      72 th minutes Hyypia for sissoko...yes yes..you read right..
      73th Goal Agger 3-1..we are physically too strong for them..Hyypia is playing in the middle right now...quite fun to see him there..swapping tactics with Agger who we know can go forward..interesting anyway..

3-1 Final score, great third goal, composure, top finish..A good physical game but we dominated and should have scored more, Voronin missed a golden chance but once again he worked hard for the team. Kewell looked like he wanted to do well, Alonso seems to be back at what he does best, he put the ball perfectly for Voronin who get challenged: penalty. Back four looked good although a few scared in the first half, Carson should have saved the that free kick, but credit to the South China captain to go for it and to scored from so far away. Pennant looked like a real winger, as soon as he came in with kuyt, the team was playing with a higher tempo and logically score the third goal on a agger-riise-kuyt-agger move..

A good match to watch in all..Well done lads..
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 03:31:18 pm by Cy »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Jul 24, 2007 03:14:51 pm
      Looked more comfortable this half! Bit of creative flair while still pegging them back!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #13: Jul 24, 2007 03:28:35 pm
      Good win IMO. Could of had a few more to tell you the truth though, Kuyt, Voronin and Pennant all had great oppotunities. Think Pennant and Voronin had good games though.

Anyone know if Torres and Babel will recieve international clearance for our final with Pompey?

Edit: Ahhh just checked the official site and it says Torres was missing because of a slight knock.
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 03:31:19 pm by paulrobbo »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #14: Jul 24, 2007 04:00:35 pm
      Pretty standard win in the end, they never really threatened much except for the wonder (and I mean wonder...) free kick from their captain. Watched the game on Sky, and the final v Pompey's also on the box.

Ratings:
      Carson - 6 - Not much to do overall but should have got across to the free kick quicker, no matter how well it was struck. Stronger hand would have punched it away.
      Arbeloa - 6 - Worked pretty hard down the right. Finished the game in central midfield... somehow..
      Carragher - 6 - Standard game for tonight's captain. Not involved alot.
      Agger - 7 - Scored a great goal and was strong at the back, and was unlucky to concede a number of fouls against their huge striker. Started and finished the move that gave him his goal.
      Riise - 7 - Got a lot of width down the left and was involved in Agger's goal, pulling a nice cross back straight to Kuyt. His free kick was hit bloody hard, top corner.
      Benayoun - 6 - Despite showing some nice quick feet and good skills, he never really attacked the right and didn't threaten too much.
      Sissoko - 5 - Poor performance from Momo in my decision. He's so frustrating on the ball, lacks a decent touch and still can't pass well. Mascherano will force him down the pecking order unless he improves.
      Alonso - 6 - Took his penalty well and had a decent game. Gave the ball away a little too much though, and his passing could have been more accurate on occasions - but I only say this as he's set himself such a high standard in previous games. Nice little dink through for Voronin in the penalty incident.
      Kewell - 7 - Looked dangerous on the left, and took it past their right back several times. Crosses could have been better.
      Crouch - 6 - As always showed he's got a great touch and some pretty nifty feet, but didn't have much chance to score.
      Voronin - 7 - Another good performance from the free transfer, showing Rafa might well have got it right signing him. Should have scored when Pennant whipped one in, but worked hard the whole game, linked up well and made some good runs, including the one which earnt the penalty.

Subs:
      Pennant - 7 - Looked very lively coming on, and unlike Benayoun, there seemed to be danger whenever he had the ball. Put in a great cross for Voronin late on. Should have scored when Kuyt sent him through with a great pass.
      Kuyt - 6 - As ever he gave a maximum effort. Linked up nicely a couple of times and had a shot well saved. Almost scored on a couple of occasions and also unselfishly laid Agger in for the third goal.
      Hyypia - 6 - Came on for Sissoko in central midfield and played surprisingly well despite his (lack of) pace. Great touches, including a first time pass that sent Kuyt through.
      Threlfall - 5 - Didn't have a lot to do when he came on at left back but still got embarrasingly beaten twice by some neat skill. Deserves more chances in the first squad.
      Martin - N/A - Single shot that was straight at him. Nothing to do in the last 5 or so minutes when he came on.

My man of the match would just about be Voronin, although it was a fairly standard game, and no one outshone anyone else really.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #15: Jul 24, 2007 05:06:44 pm
       i liked the way we ended up with arbeloa and hyypia in midfield.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Jul 24, 2007 07:09:08 pm
      Easy game in the end they never really looked like scoring apart from the free kick kick which Carson wasnt expecting,nice to Voronin get 90mins and Risse get a trademark goal.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #17: Jul 24, 2007 08:12:16 pm
      Good review arTaylor. Refreshing to hear a good analysis of all the players.

Shame about Torres and Babel not starting due to Football regulations - let's hope they're in for the final.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #18: Jul 24, 2007 10:21:11 pm
      Yeah, I was looking forward to watching them both live for the first time, especially Torres. According to the official site, as someone else mentioned, Torres still has a slight ankle injury, which hopefully won't rule him out of the final on Friday. Apparantly, going by the Sky commentators info, the paperwork will be sorted by Friday, so injuries permitting, alot of us will get to see the Kid in action against Pompey.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Jul 24, 2007 11:19:39 pm
      Thanks for your good report artaylor.
      Agree with everything there mate, although I thought Sissoko played to his strength in some ways. He seemed to be playing further up the pitch than he usually does, in the first half and his game's about winning the ball. Which he did ok, but as for going forward and distributing the ball, he's not got that in strength. Played much deeper in the second half.

Was certainly a better game than the Auxerre one. Much more lively and competetive. Voronin had another good game. One thing that's impressed me about him, is that he always looks for the ball and makes himself available. One of the key elements of football which you don't get with some players. Whether it continues remains to be seen. It is only early days and he's obviously trying to impress. But he looks like that's the natural part of his game.

Fingers crossed we'll get to see Leiva on Friday. As with Babel and Torres again. They didn't look happy sitting on the bench today.

Five consecutive wins on the bounce in pre season. Better than last year..... Let's hope we're just getting warmed up to hit the ground running when the league starts!
      lunchai
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2007 09:16:04 am
      I see somebody mention about Leiva... can't wait to see him play for us.. wonder where is Leto??? is he with us or not??? I thought we bought him to fight a place with kewell...
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Jul 25, 2007 11:08:43 am
      I quite enjoyed this game, haven't watched a good game of football in aaaaaaaages, so I loved this game :)
      Gutted about Torres not having international clearance but now he can play in the final on Friday, wohooo :D (As long as he's not injured) I'm gonna have to get my bf to Sky+ the game because I'm working 2-7, dammit.

I thought Sissoko had an awful game, and Carson was unlucky not to save S China's goal.. but what a goal it was :o
      I agree with that about Voronin, even though he didn't score he played brilliantly. Riise's kick was just a beauty as usual :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #22: Jul 25, 2007 12:13:13 pm
      Yep me too Nicola, 1st game I'd seen since the Charton game, (Smoke free pub too ;D)

On the whole I felt we played well and was surprised that we, in my opinion were the better side in the second half despite the heat and humidity. Why did Riise have a vest on god only knows!

Off on Friday too ;D so guess where I'll be ::)

Hopefully the International clearance will be through so the new boys can have a game.

Quick Reply