Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Owners Line up Dalglish as Hodgson faces a make or break clash with Bolton

Read 6867 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Owners Line up Dalglish as Hodgson faces a make or break clash with Bolton
      Dec 31, 2010 01:13:52 am
      Liverpool owners line up Kenny Dalglish as boss Roy Hodgson faces win or bust clash with Bolton

By DOMINIC KING

Liverpool owners have reached breaking point with under-fire manager Roy Hodgson. Only a victory against Bolton at Anfield on Saturday is likely to save him following the shambolic defeat by Wolves which led to fans calling for him to be sacked.

With Hodgson seemingly on the brink after just six months, the club have even been forced to deny claims he has already left.

If the patience of owners Fenway Sports Group runs out, Kop hero Kenny Dalglish is a ready-made candidate for a caretaker role with a view to assuming a senior boardroom position once a permanent replacement has been found.

Damien Comolli, the club’s director of football strategy, is responsible for identifying the next Anfield boss and the search has taken on fresh urgency after the appalling display in the 1-0 defeat at home on Wednesday against a team who were then bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

The American owners are populists and their eagerness to make the right impression with fans following their takeover in October puts Hodgson on borrowed time, although his good relationship with Comolli is working for him at the moment.

Roy Hodgson was berated by the Liverpool fans during their shocking 1-0 home defeat to struggling Wolves on Wednesday night. A section of Kop called for Kenny Dalglish to replace him at the helm. Does Hodgson need to go? And is King Kenny really the answer to the Anfield crisis?

With Liverpool only three points above the relegation zone and having suffered eight defeats in the league already, tomorrow’s game against Bolton has taken on huge significance and a loss will leave the club little room for manoeuvre.

However, Hodgson’s precarious position will not affect Liverpool’s intentions for the January transfer window as Comolli is in charge of recruitment now that chief scout Eduardo Macia has left. Comolli will be backed to sign as many as four players.

A £1.5million deal for Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux is in place and Comolli will have a pivotal role to play in shaping Liverpool’s long-term future.
      Although Dalglish may be given a temporary role in charge he and the other fans’ favourite, Rafa Benitez, are not under consideration to take over on a permanent basis.

Hodgson faces an enormous challenge to raise his badly deflated players for the Bolton game, which starts a defining run of five matches in 15 days.
      Liverpool face a trip to Blackburn followed by an FA Cup third-round tie against Manchester United before league games against Blackpool and Everton.

He is adamant the players are still with him but Hodgson is unlikely to find any sympathy from the terraces tomorrow.

The 63-year-old said: ‘I have been lucky. The support I have had has been from the players and within the club. I haven’t had a lot of support from the fans ever since I came here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342881/Liverpool-owners-line-Kenny-Dalglish-boss-Roy-Hodgson-faces-win-bust-clash-Bolton.html#ixzz19eBkjC5D=]

Whether we win at Anfield against Bolton should not matter. HODGSON MUST GO!!!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Owners Line up Dalglish as Hodgson faces a make or break clash with Bolton
      Reply #1: Dec 31, 2010 01:18:15 am
      I think he is actually 'en route'. I hope he is. Really, really do.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Dec 31, 2010 01:23:49 am
      About time!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #3: Dec 31, 2010 01:24:13 am
      Nothing for sure, looks like more speculation.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #4: Dec 31, 2010 01:26:57 am
      Nothing for sure, looks like more speculation.

Yeah me too, hope it's true though.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #5: Dec 31, 2010 01:29:06 am
      No quotes in there, but thats what you expect these days. Until a major broadcaster starts to bring out reports on it then I won't get my hopes up.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Dec 31, 2010 01:29:45 am
      Kenny would work I believe. People may have misgivings because of the length of time but he's been studying the team from the stands week in week out and will be itching to set what he sees wrong on that pitch! Similar to the situation where Keegan returned to Newcastle 3 years ago and for me I thought Keegan did quite well to sort out the shambles of Fat Allardyce and then he resigned.

Come on - it's Kenny or bust!
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #7: Dec 31, 2010 01:44:25 am
      players have all been asked to report for training an hour early Board meeting 9am

^ From LFC Transfer Speculations on Facebook so no idea of the reliability.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #8: Dec 31, 2010 01:50:37 am
      I have to be honest guys, if you check my other posts you will see I was dead against Kenny taking over, for varios reasons, but it has gotten to the stage now where I would let my granny take over rather than Mr Hodgson...and at least I have confidence that, if nothing else, Kenny will get us playing attacking football AND give the players the kick up the arse they richly deserve.
      Sound good to me, but I dont believe a word from the papers, I wont hold my breath.
      Oh yeah, it goes without saying that on current form we have absolutely no chance of even competing with Bolton never mind winning....and the very fact I am thinking that is indicitive of the situation we are in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,450 posts | 8656 
      Reply #9: Dec 31, 2010 01:58:51 am
      players have all been asked to report for training an hour early Board meeting 9am

Probably so they can get off an hour early to start getting ready for whatever parties they're going to!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Dec 31, 2010 02:24:14 am
      If it means roy leaves and kenny is installed I'd even go as far as to say that I hope we put in another poor performance.
      I absolutely hate myself for even thinking that but we have seen no change in the short tenure he has been as the club and we have to think very hard about the implications of a transfer window coming up with that hugely depressing and uninspiring man at the helm.
      We need pride and passion restored if only for the rest of the season.
      We need to believe again in our club and now is the time for NESV and roy to give us that in their own ways.

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #11: Dec 31, 2010 02:44:02 am
      This is perhaps lazy journalism again, it's early in the morning someone writing something to excited the readers later in the day. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #12: Dec 31, 2010 09:49:56 am
      Fans should boycott this match to send message to the owner to sack Roy.
      Doesn't matter if we win this match as Roy has asked to give time from 10 EPL matches to until Christmas.
      Singing King Kenny's name is not enough.
      Owner must decide now.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: Dec 31, 2010 10:01:08 am
      Fans should boycott this match to send message to the owner to sack Roy.
      Doesn't matter if we win this match as Roy has asked to give time from 10 EPL matches to until Christmas.
      Singing King Kenny's name is not enough.
      Owner must decide now.

Let's no go through that debate again.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #14: Dec 31, 2010 10:20:11 am
      i was beginning to think it would be ok to keep roy until end of season until club gets stabilised off the pitch but seeing how roy's actually destroying the club, it's time to act. kenny as caretaker manager would be perfect. least he would make the most of the attacking talents of torres and gerrard.

seriously, just get ird of the old, clueless bat...now.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2010 10:24:58 am
      Dunno how accurate the reports are but even the
      most sympathetic of supporters have now seen enough
      of this. I wanted us to give Roy a fair crack of the whip
      as we have done in the past. Sadly Roy you're just not
      up to it.
      I honestly cant remember such a display in over 25 years.

Kenny please speak out we need you now...
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2010 10:28:25 am
      If it's as bad on Saturday a full stadium showing our discontent should be the final straw.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #17: Dec 31, 2010 10:28:27 am
      Is this journo accurate? I knew he used to write for the Echo before, so probably I would assume he's quite well informed?
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #18: Dec 31, 2010 10:29:45 am
      Is this journo accurate? I knew he used to write for the Echo before, so probably I would assume he's quite well informed?

Would say no and it's made up guess work, if you read his twitter site it was building up to an article like this.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #19: Dec 31, 2010 10:31:18 am
      Hope your right ROF, that would be a nice new years pressie!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2010 10:31:41 am
      I imagine the problems owners have are :
       - they had a favorite suiting their vision for the job, probably already contacted but not available before summer (can't be someone like Rijkaard as he would have been signed since the beginning),
       - they wanted Roy to stay untill end of the season to make things easier for their favorite (if they installed Dalgish then replaced him no matter his results, the new manager would have started unpopular) ; they didn't wanted another caretaker as Roy was already one for them
       - they hadn't budgeted money to pay Roy out, nor money to buy out an employed manager this winter, our january transfers plans were eventually ready and would have to be cut for that,

And now they have hard decisions to take :
       - rule their favorite out if he can't be convinced to join now or is contract is too expensive to buy, to avoid to bring more unstability to the club with 4 managers in two years (with a caretaker scenario)
       - either completely change their plans to accomodate Dalgish or Benitez, who would probably ask for the power to be traditionnal Liverpool managers like they were in the past, and so a far more important role than what nesv think a manager should have + a chance to stay next season ; or convince another serious free candidate they weren't wanting either at start, like Rijkaard or Jol, to accept the job in this hard context (not sure many would risk their carreer in a club close to relegation fight) ;
       - or sticking with their favorite for summer, take the risk of unstability they wanted to avoid with a new caretaker ; either also taking the risk of next manager unpopularity with Dalgish  (who would be very kind to accept if offered no chance to stay next season) or taking a more manageable unknown yes man as caretaker, who may do no better than Hodgson

IMO the more likely scenario is the Rijkaard (if we are lucky) or Jol one, an european manager used to work with a director of football and directly signed for several years. But if they are just starting to speak with the candidates, it may take a week or so to convince one.
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010 10:53:35 am by TonioLerouge »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Dec 31, 2010 10:32:26 am
      Win or not, hes gotta go. Just F**k him off for Fowlers sake!
      A-BoY
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • Born As a RED, Live As a RED, Die As a RED
      Reply #22: Dec 31, 2010 11:23:46 am
       I am not quite sure that Kenny.d is fit for the job either...
      lets say we sack Woy and put Kenny on the throne and yet things are still not straight
      what do we do then? I am sorry to say this but since the departure of Rafa I don't fell like we are going any where...even if Rafa decides to come back to us, i am not sure the presence of D.Comoli will be cool for him,
      it has to be someone else (Rijkaard  or Hiddink if possible). :mad:
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010 11:30:04 am by A-BoY »

Quick Reply