Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

AFC Asian Cup 2011

Read 2953 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      AFC Asian Cup 2011
      Jan 03, 2011 11:01:24 am
      I'm sure many of you, just like me, don't really bother about this other than the fact that Brad Jones is competing in it for Australia.

The last one in 2007 was not good for my country. The only host out of the four to not win a game, getting thrashed 5-1, 5-0 and a 2-0 lost. Didn't qualify this time and only qualified then because we were one of the four hosts.

This year, it is hosted in Qatar. I would say Australia, Japan, South Korea, Iran and of course, defending champions, Iraq, to be the ones to watch out for.

Jones eager for Asian Cup glory

Brad Jones is hoping to help Australia to Asian Cup glory when the tournament starts in Qatar on January 10.

Pepe Reina's understudy will be away from Anfield until the end of the month after he was named in coach Holger Osieck's 23-man squad.

He will join up with his Socceroos teammates at a training camp in Dubai today after flying from Manchester yesterday.

Australia face the UAE in a pre-tournament friendly on Wednesday, prior to travelling to Doha the following day.

They will kick-off their Asian Cup quest against India on Monday, January 10, before also taking on South Korea and Bahrain in Group C.

"It should be a good experience, hopefully we can do well in the Asian Cup and I'm looking forward to it," Jones told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"There are some strong teams in Asia and teams like Japan and South Korea are always going to be difficult to beat.

"For the Australia national team at the minute it's still a bit of a transitional period because we've had a few players retire and a few won't be going to the Asian Cup because of club commitments.

"We have still got a good team and we are quietly confident."

Jones is hoping to eventually become the Socceroors No.1 but at the moment he is No.2 with Fulham's Mark Schwarzer the regular custodian.

He added: "It kind of replicates what I do at Liverpool because Mark Schwarzer is the No.1 and deservedly so, but I will push him and help him as much as I can and try and do a good job.

"I'm still striving myself to try and reach a level I am happy with and I am the sort of the person who isn't happy until I get there.

"Obviously Mark is 38 now and is not going to go on for ever so the more time I can be around the national team the better."

Despite not much game time because he is understudy to arguably one of Europe's best stoppers in Reina, Jones is enjoying his time at Anfield and hopes the new year will be a good one for Liverpool.

"On a personal level I am really enjoying being at Liverpool but as a club we want to be higher up the table.

"Things haven't been going too well but we showed a good spirit against Bolton. Hopefully we can make 2011 a good year for Liverpool."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/jones-eager-for-asian-cup-glory

I actually felt Australia would definitely win the tournament in 2007 but I was wrong.

Here are the groups.

Group A - China, Kuwait, Qatar and Uzbekistan
      Group B - Japan, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Syria
      Group C - Australia, Bahrain, India and South Korea
      Group D - Iran, Iraq, North Korea and UAE

Some interesting players outside the Premier League are set to be involved. Keisuke Honda, Yasuhito Endo and Younis Mahmoud ( Most Valuable Player and joint top scorer in AFC Asian Cup 2007 and Asian Football of the Year 2007 runner up).

A few Premier League players are set to be involved as well. Our Brad Jones, Fulham's Mark Schwarzer, Blackpool's David Carney, Everton's Tim Cahill, Bolton's Lee Chung-Yong and Manchester United's Park Ji-Sung.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011 11:12:41 am by Adryan »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: AFC Asian Cup 2011
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2011 11:04:27 am
      Anyone know if Fulham allowed Schwarzer to join the squad or is Jones our first choice in this tournament? Let's hope we can win this on eh.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2011 11:06:08 am
      I think we'll see a few Premiership scouts at this tournament, maybe not looking for 1st team players though, but a squad player that could boost their market share/coverage in Asia.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2011 11:10:00 am
      I think we'll see a few Premiership scouts at this tournament, maybe not looking for 1st team players though, but a squad player that could boost their market share/coverage in Asia.
      Imagine the boost if we could find a decent Chinese or Indian player, couldn't see the latter happening though.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2011 11:13:25 am
      Anyone know if Fulham allowed Schwarzer to join the squad or is Jones our first choice in this tournament? Let's hope we can win this on eh.

I just edited the opening post and seems Mark Schwarzer is playing.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2011 11:18:38 am
      I just edited the opening post and seems Mark Schwarzer is playing.
      Coolio. Surprised the blueshite allowed Timmy to go aswell.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2011 11:29:27 am
      Coolio. Surprised the blueshite allowed Timmy to go aswell.

He won't play when we face them then! He seems to get alot of headed goals for a player not so big compared to others.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2871 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2011 12:01:12 pm
      Imagine the boost if we could find a decent Chinese or Indian player, couldn't see the latter happening though.

Yeah, football and India don't go well! We're a passionate set of fans for sure but ability wise we are well of the pace. We will get completely thrashed in that group.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2011 05:41:21 pm
      What a goal by Uzbekistan against Qatar!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2011 05:46:00 pm
      Is any of this being televised in the UK?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2011 08:21:39 pm
      Is any of this being televised in the UK?

No

Might be shown on Eurosport, though!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2011 12:47:32 am
      good luck brad
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #12: Jan 10, 2011 06:11:53 pm

Yeah, football and India don't go well! We're a passionate set of fans for sure but ability wise we are well of the pace. We will get completely thrashed in that group.

Completely agree with both you guys.

Football support has risen immensely in India in the past few years ( much more than my expectation ), but the country is still far behind in producing good European football-type footballers.

Our best player I think is Chhetri and he plays in MLS. That just shows you the lack of good footballers in the country.

Anyway, after a long time we made it to the Asian Cup, should be good, that. Only way possible is forward.

P.S. Got beaten 4-0 by the Aussies. Not TOO bad, considering we are 146 in the rankings, and they have got decent players like Cahill, Kewell etc.

Tough group though, can't see us going too far.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2011 09:04:46 pm
      It's Australia vs Japan in the final. Looks like they meet again after meeting in the group stage in the 2006 World Cup and somewhere in the AFC Asian Cup in 2007.

Australia thrashed Uzbekistan 6-0 while Japan edged South Korea 3-0 on penalties.
      kewellfan731
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 29, 2011 03:02:45 pm
      Hopefully it wont be as nail biting as the world cup game and Australia will just win with ease.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #15: Jan 29, 2011 05:35:49 pm
      Australia 0-1 Japan after extra time.

Quick Reply