Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Adopt Arsenal money model says UEFA

Read 2772 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Adopt Arsenal money model says UEFA
      Jan 12, 2011 01:15:30 am
      Adopt Arsenal money model says Uefa

By Phil Dawkes & Ian Dennis

Arsenal have been held up as a shining example by Uefa as European football's governing body prepares to implement tough new financial restrictions.

From the 2011-12 season clubs must break even over a rolling three-year period or risk a possible ban from Uefa European competitions.

Uefa compared Arsenal's approach to that of clubs with super-rich owners.

"What model waits for a knight rider on a horse and then rides away?" said Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger's meticulous and sensible approach to spending has helped the north Londoners strengthen their finances over the last 10 years, as some of their rivals' own position has weakened.

Having moved to the Emirates Stadium in 2006, Arsenal now turn over more than £300m a year (including revenue from property sales) and made a pre tax profit of £35m in 2009.

"Ten years ago Arsenal reported less income than Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle," Infantino added. "Now it is more than those clubs and in 2009 more than double Newcastle's.

"This shows what is possible with good management and careful investment."

In recent years, the Premier League has seen an influx of wealthy foreign businessmen acquiring control of clubs and embarking on lavish spending on players.

This has left some at risk of failing to adhere to Uefa's impending restrictions.

With recent losses of £121m, Manchester City would appear to be the English club with most to do to satisfy Uefa's rules, although one respected football financial blogger has suggested how the club could break even.

City, who have embarked on a unprecedented spending in the wake of the 2009 takeover of the club by billionaire Arab tycoon Sheikh Mansour, have already sent club officials to hold talks with European football's governing body to discuss how they can comply with new regulations.

Uefa's head of licensing Andrea Traverso stated: "We are in talks with the club, they are aware of the rules and they probably have a strategy to raise their income.

Platini also does not foresee a problem with City after he revealed he has had personal assurances.

"Last year [2010] in Abu Dhabi I met up with the owner of Manchester City and he promised they would live with the rules and regulations."

City manager Roberto Mancini admitted on Tuesday that the £27m-signing of Bosnian striker Edin Dzeko from German side Wolfsburg was the end of his spending for the time being.

"This is my ideal squad at the moment. We don't need to buy another six or seven players next summer. Maybe two or three," Mancini commented.

"We are building a great team at the moment. Every year we want to improve, but with another two or three players next season, no more."

There will be some leeway, as, over the first two seasons of the rules, clubs will be allowed to overspend by a total of £37m, which will be reduced on a sliding scale for each three-year reporting period that follows.

In addition, clubs will be permitted an unlimited investment in stadium infrastructure and youth academies.

Under the new rules, Uefa would place clubs at risk of over-spending in a special category where they are closely monitored.

As it stands, Chelsea and both Manchester clubs would be placed in this bracket, although the Red Devils are insistent they would pass the financial fair play rules now.

Uefa has previously voiced its specific concern about the financial state of Premier League clubs, some of which - such as Manchester United or Liverpool, prior to their takeover in October last year - have taken on large levels of debt.

In addition, clubs continue to live beyond their means and risk falling into serious financial difficulty such as that which befell Leeds within the last decade and more recently Portsmouth, who in February 2010 became the first Premier League club to go into administration.

However, Platini insisted that the new rules are not designed to target Premier League clubs in order to curb their success in the Champions League, in which an English club reached the final for five straight years prior to the 2009-10 campaign.

"I want to be proud to have been pro-active, and not ignored a problem everyone was aware of, but no one wished to take on," Platini said.

The Frenchman also insisted that any clubs who break the rules will have to "face the music".

"There will be no witch hunt," he continued. "If a club does not fall in line and does not apply the same rules as everybody else, they would have to live with the consequences."

Uefa's latest figures illustrate that clubs across Europe have yet to curb their financial outlay in order to fall in line with the impending restrictions.

Its review showed that over half of 655 clubs reported a loss in 2009 and the combined deficit across Europe's 53 football nations was £1bn.

Spending on player wages is up almost 10%, with clubs spending 64% of their income on these and other staff expenses.

European Club Association chairman Karl Heinz Rummenigge and his 197 members are fully behind Uefa's new proposals. But the German has warned that any such action would be disastrous for the game and described it as "complete meltdown" for a club to be barred entry into the Champions League.

With 73 European clubs spending more than 100% of their revenue on wages, Rummenigge said: "[Uefa] has embarked on the right path".

But the German added: "Something is awry in European club football and when you step on the accelerator something tends to go wrong. We need to step on the brakes and introduce rationale."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9358589.stm

Having pretty much been practising these UEFA rules for the last 6 years Arsenal are well ahead of the competition personally. No one can doubt it. Nearly 6 years without a trophy but Wenger and Arsenal will be sitting pretty when these rules comes into play in August particularly with their no more than £50,000 wage for a player rule. Certain clubs will have A LOT of work to do though. Potentially these radical rule changes could be the undoing of some of todays big clubs.
      redjames83
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Re: Adopt Arsenal money model says UEFA
      Reply #1: Jan 12, 2011 05:18:23 pm
      I think Wenger has seen this coming at can't wait for it to come into force. I think they will reap the rewards for his careful spending in the next few years.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2: Jan 12, 2011 05:25:37 pm
      Yep, Wenger's gone and predicted the future. Arsenal are perhaps the most well placed team in the league to prosper from these rules and it's all down to their manager and his abilities in the transfer market (as well as his scouting team!).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2011 11:53:50 pm
      Shining example of how to win F**k all for the last 4 years?

Same model as us then.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #4: Jan 14, 2011 11:57:57 pm
      Shining example of how to win f**k all for the last 4 years?

Same model as us then.
      What ?? i'd be alot happier with their model than our past model's if they had a half decent keeper they probaly would have won much more !
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2011 12:06:16 am
      Would someone please explain to me these knew rules?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2011 12:10:20 am
      What ?? I'd be alot happier with their model than our past model's if they had a half decent keeper they probaly would have won much more !

The fact is they haven't won anything since 2005 which was the FA Cup while we in the same time have won the FA Cup and the European Cup, with another final and a second place finish in the league which is higher then Arsenal have finished since they won it.

Our record since Rafa took over is better than theirs and that's while our club has had owners who almost destroyed us while Wenger had owners who backed him regardless.

Arsene Wenger in my opinion is one of the luckiest managers in football at the minute as he seems to get by on this whole building for the future and running the club well philosophy. He needs to remember he is the manager and judged on results not an accountant judged on how well he runs the club.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2011 12:21:13 am
      I disagree he's brought in countless amount's of unbelievable signing's,plays beautiful football the only fault i can see is they don't have any leaders on the pitch if they had a Viera of old and a good keeper they'd walk this league.

He's a great manager he has done very well they are consistently in the top four and there or therabouts in every other competitions.

You have to remember there just after moving into their new stadium so building for the future is understandable,and he's won the league a couple of times and went unbeaten a feat that i dont think will ever be matched.

So how is he lucky ??
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2011 12:28:57 am
      I disagree he's brought in countless amount's of unbelievable signing's,plays beautiful football the only fault I can see is they don't have any leaders on the pitch if they had a Viera of old and a good keeper they'd walk this league.

He's a great manager he has done very well they are consistently in the top four and there or therabouts in every other competitions.

You have to remember there just after moving into their new stadium so building for the future is understandable,and he's won the league a couple of times and went unbeaten a feat that I dont think will ever be matched.

So how is he lucky ??

Not saying he isn't a good manager or a good judge of player but he hasn't won anything in almost 6 years and never won anything in Europe either.

He is lucky because he has kept his job despite this current record as his job as manager of a football team is to win trophies.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #9: Jan 15, 2011 12:34:21 am
      Not saying he isn't a good manager or a good judge of player but he hasn't won anything in almost 6 years and never won anything in Europe either.

He is lucky because he has kept his job despite this current record as his job as manager of a football team is to win trophies.

He has spent very little money compared to other managers. Also he has kept his side completive while the stadium was being built.

Arsenal have a platform for success for the next 20 years because of him.

Oh and how has he been backed? Rafa has been given millions and still has flopped, proves it currently with the weak squad we have got.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2011 12:34:54 am
      The problem with Arsenal is they have no Brits. As much as they are good to watch, they lack the effort put in as a typical English servant ie. Gerrard.

I have to agree i would love a transfer cap of £100m, It gives the local lads a chance and even our lot the Irish lads a chance.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2011 12:35:15 am

Don't really agree there, you don't know what the goals have been and what has been demanded of him by their board. I'm quite sure he has performed as well as he can under the circumstances. They build a new stadium and from what I understand it'll be fully paid for this year, because of his policy. It's not all about short term success, long term policy is important too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2011 12:43:26 am
      He has spent very little money compared to other managers. Also he has kept his side completive while the stadium was being built.

Oh and how has he been backed? Rafa has been given millions and still has flopped, proves it currently with the weak squad we have got.

I wouldn't call a European Cup with another final, Fa Cup, European Super Cup and our highest league finish and points total in years a flop.

Also don't forget that the quality youth players coming through for us are mostly down to Rafa and his youth policy. This policy could also stand us in great stead over the next 5- 10 years if the players get a chance.

I'll say it again I think Wenger is a good manager but he does get a very easy ride by a lot of people considering Rafa's record over the same period is vastly superior while working under very difficult circumstances.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2011 12:50:51 am

Do we really need to go through this again?

Rafa was hardly given tons of money. Most of the players he brought in were bought using the money he gained from selling. We're hardly going to improve if we had to sell to buy. Yeah, he bought alot of players who weren't good enough for the club but that was his first 5 years in charge. By his 5th season, he had us sitting 2nd in the league. Every manager most probably will sign players who turn up to be average in the first 5 years probably. Roy signing Poulsen and Konchesky is one example. Difference between Rafa with SAF and Wenger is, they have been in the job far longer before Rafa came to England, so they probably have got their crop of players before Rafa took over in 2004.

Four finals in three years without Fernando Torres and a consistent top 4 finish bar one (5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 2nd) under difficult constraints, I wouldn't call that a flop.

Back on topic.

I actually think Arsene Wenger is doing a pretty good job at Arsenal. He has nurtured many wonderful talents and has his team playing very nice football. It sickens me to see them being consistent every season. Fair enough, they haven't won anything since 2005 but at least they are always around the top in the league (even though they'd usually run out of steam after Christmas) and usually do pretty well in cup competitions. In contrast to us, many times I've seen us having to 'concentrate in europe' because we are out of the title race or vice versa.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Jan 15, 2011 03:13:50 am
      The fact is they haven't won anything since 2005 which was the FA Cup while we in the same time have won the FA Cup and the European Cup, with another final and a second place finish in the league which is higher then Arsenal have finished since they won it.

Our record since Rafa took over is better than theirs and that's while our club has had owners who almost destroyed us while Wenger had owners who backed him regardless.

Arsene Wenger in my opinion is one of the luckiest managers in football at the minute as he seems to get by on this whole building for the future and running the club well philosophy. He needs to remember he is the manager and judged on results not an accountant judged on how well he runs the club.

Luckiest managers in football? Perhaps unluckiest. He is clearly a man of great intelligence and skill yet he hasn't won a thing because his sense has been superseded by reckless and shocking spending from the clubs around him yet STILL manages to maintain the club comfortably in the Champions League and one of Europe's leading clubs. He is quite remarkable in my view.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #15: Jan 15, 2011 04:35:58 pm
      Won nothing and moans about everything nd has partial blindness. He inhereted the basis of a very good Arsenal side but hasnt replaced half the French World cup squad.
      As for Rafa how many more times to we have to listen to sh*te from people who call themselves Liverpool supporters but dont know the facts about the club but continue to spew out complete garbage.
      Arsenal have spent over 50 years trying to win the European Cup /Champions league Rafa did it in his first year Wenger has tried for over a decade Rafa did it in 1.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Jan 15, 2011 06:09:23 pm
      Sorry but since when did this thread become a Rafa Benitez thread??
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #17: Jan 15, 2011 06:41:30 pm
      Sorry but since when did this thread become a Rafa Benitez thread??

Shining example of how to win F**k all for the last 4 years?

Same model as us then.

There were go back on topic!

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #18: Jan 18, 2011 04:56:04 am
      All this talk about the new rules is poppycock.

So I am the Man City owner or the Chelsea owner, and I want to pour my money into a drain, so I can win a trophy. I am told that I cannot spend more than my club generates.

So I go out and buy a million Man City shirts at 100 pounds each, and my club magically earns another 100 million pounds in revenue.

There are a million ways to get around the rules, all you need is a decent accountant and you can achieve whatever outcome you wish.

Wenger is valuable because he is capable of finding cheap bargains and converting them into more valuable assets. He has kept a club viable by operating on a shoestring budget.

Just how long the Arsenal fans will be prepared to accept being "financially viable" as opposed to winning a trophy, is another story.

Quick Reply