Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Blackpool

Fernando Torres
      (36.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (7.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (3.2%)
      Milan Jovanovic
      (2.6%)
      Martin Kelly
      (14.8%)
      Pepe Reina
      (35.5%)

Blackpool 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Despair

Read 82596 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Blackpool 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Despair
      Reply #1150: Jan 13, 2011 12:13:37 pm
      My opinion is this.

We desperately need 2 central midfielders who have the ability to be creative.

We still need wide men, players who can go past their man and whip in crosses.

We need a centre back to partner Agger, Skrtel is becoming a liability.

Johnson is a wide man stuck in the body of a defender ( not a very good defender may i add ).

Shelvey should be given a chance in the Derby on Sunday.

Lucas, Maxi, Poulsen, N'Gog, Skrtel, Konchesky and Jovanovic should never wear the shirt again.

Bring back Ayala, Insua and Aquilani.

We need serious investment.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #1151: Jan 13, 2011 12:30:24 pm
      Half our team wouldn't make the first team at any of the top four teams.

We need some big signings to turn things around.

Mate has Shelvey done anything this season? He comes on and looks awkward and loses possession and adds nothing. He needs a few years before he should be starting or even coming off the bench !

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1152: Jan 13, 2011 12:30:27 pm
      My opinion is this.

Johnson is a wide man stuck in the body of a defender ( not a very good defender may I add ).

Lucas, Maxi, Poulsen, N'Gog, Skrtel, Konchesky and Jovanovic should never wear the shirt again.

Agreee apart from Maxi. Played in an attacking formation he is a big threat.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1153: Jan 13, 2011 12:37:59 pm
      Johnson...Rafa's biggest flop. Well, you said it.

It's not the comment about Johnson alone, but the phrase 'biggest flop'. How many flops are there that were 'Legend' Benitez signings.

Let's face it, we are still suffering from the back end of the Benitez era.

If Kenny can't get the best out of these players, then maybe people will start to realise that Hodgson wasn't the necessarily the catalyst for what is starting to turn into a very worrying position in the table.

Yes in the sense that we paid 17 million for a defender that can not defend. I know it was not the fee outright but it was still over the top for somebody that can not defend.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #1154: Jan 13, 2011 12:43:01 pm
      I think Kenny tried to convince the team that they are good enough, after all the negativity of the last manager, medias, and some supporters about their quality.

Playing Poulsen and Jovanovic was a way to say that even them have a role to play.

It was an audacious bet, would the team have won despite starting with these fringe players, all would have been back to full confidence.

I don't think it was the main error in this match. If Jovanovic showed his lack of match fitness, Poulsen match was decent with some good passes (it's the first time in Liverpool he reminded me the player he was in Spain, delivering a good ball in opponent surface just after an interception in his half) and some more mobility than usual. If he is clearly too slow to be usefull against the best teams, I don't think it's a scandal to play him against the likes of Blackpool.

I'm more unhappy with the choice to play Skrtel, probably not fully fit after playing full time in all matches since christmas, and IMO inferior to Kyrgiakos against a long ball team like Blackpool. As well I fear for Lucas fatigue level, even if he is supposed to be a "Duracell bunny" he shouldn't have played another full match before Everton I think.

Not very happy with the substitutions as well, too late and not the good choices. I was expecting N'Gog and Maxi for Kuyt and Jova at half time or at least around the hour. Shelvey done nothing of note in Kuyt position (not even sure if they were supposed to play winger or in the hole, players weren't looking like they knew), and playing N'Gog for 5mn was just useless as at this point our midfield was too tired or demoralized to give him or Torres a ball.

Anyway, things weren't working either before, so it's logical that Kenny try new things and players. Not worked this time, but will probably work the next. At least there were far less aimless hoofs, and far more intent to go forward. Players just need to practice more their passing and positionning (look like they aren't doing enough toros in training) and the team can be back to victory.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1155: Jan 13, 2011 12:52:59 pm
      F***ing hell why is everyone having a go at Maxi? He didn't even f**king play!

Get off his f**king back. Same with Johnson. He gets so much abuse at games now its sickening. We're supposed to have turned a corner and people are still acting like complete whoppers.

GET BEHIND THE F***ing TEAM.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #1156: Jan 13, 2011 01:14:27 pm
      My opinion is this.

Johnson is a wide man stuck in the body of a defender ( not a very good defender may I add ).

Was thinking about the team/players last night after the match. Basically, I came to more or less the opinion you have posted.

Although, I would add Babel to that list of players who need to be shown the door ASAP and would probably keep hold of Lucas for a little while longer, on the understanding that he would be unlikely to be getting regular first team football unless he improved on a more consistent level. I say this purely on the fact that, while he has been terrible in some games this season, I think that in a few (and admittedly it is a very few) games we have seen him play some of the best football since coming to the club. It's a gamble I know but, maybe it'll pay off.

Another problem I see is, we need to replace so many players and let's face it, we aren't going to get much for the ones we need to get rid of, so where's the money going to come from? No doubt the owners will invest but, judging from what they have said in the past, we are not going to see the amount of cash we need immediately.

If we had enough money for, let's say three decent players in January, I'd go with a strike partner for Torres, an attacking midfielder and a wing man. The defence also needs strengthening but, Kelly looks to be fitting in pretty well and carra will be back before too long and although he is getting on and is not what he once was, I still think he can do a job for now.

Bottom line is, the problems we face with regards to our team are not going to be fixed over night but, over the past year we have got rid of the biggest problems we have ever faced at the club. Fixing the team will take time and as long as the owners stick to their word everything will work out just fine.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1157: Jan 13, 2011 01:28:27 pm
      No.

I dont go out of my way to stir anything.

I say what I say and if it means (or meant) not herd following ................thats tough.
      Its the right of any forum member.

If Vulcan Red wants Rafa back "in a heartbeat"....no problem.......I prefer Kenny in the driving seat thanks.

If it brings up debate then thats cool too.

The Manc loving, bullshit spinning, Sky Sports?
      Part of that sh*te Murdoch group?
      Oh p-lease now that is insulting and inaccurate.
      Take the opposite of what they say and you may be near the truth.

Beeb, Telegraph and Press Association let me know all I need to know.

(PS Dario. Didn't understand a thing mate.)
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 01:50:47 pm by eurored »
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1158: Jan 13, 2011 01:43:02 pm
      Watch closely at yesterday's game, when they play those short passes it ended up nowhere as they kept passing the ball around till they lost possession, no one took the initiative to run directly into the box as if it's a DMZ. Next they tried those long passes that failed miserably. Not sure what they are good at anymore. I truly admire and somewhat sympathises with Kenny trying to deal with this bunch of loosers, except Pepe and Torres. The rest will need to be shipped out and get some commmited and never say die attitude players in comes the summer.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1159: Jan 13, 2011 02:11:32 pm
      Well now that there is someone in, why the f**k bring it up then? Oh, because you think you're so f**king smart and just like to stir sh*t, I have seen it - you deliberately just love to stir the pot.

Get over yourself. Its because of fans like you that we had Hodgson in the first place, because enough of you gave the wider public perception that Benitez was sh*t. Now Kenny, the saint he is, gets to come in and pick up the pieces of whats left of the H&G era.

Lack of spending is why we have results like this one (to get it back on topic) and don't say that Benitez spent 229mil or whatever stupid amount you put up. You, I believe, are a smart enough guy to know what grosse and net spend are. Work it out, and also see the amount of times Benitez was told to forget about a player like Dani Alves or Florent Malouda and find someone cheaper instead.

Sorry about that everyone. Just hate that even after the extensive threads on the subject, some people STILL pander to the Sky Sports spin on things.

Hello BigV, not butting into the debate in any way here. I have a lot of respect for your posts on this forum but i think you may have overstepped the mark with your criticism of eurored. It seems that a lot of posters here, not just yourself, are quick to jump down the throats of anyone who dares criticise Rafa Benitez. You are obviously intelligent enough to realise that eurored does most certainly not conform to the 'Sky Sports Bullshit' circus.

I read a hell of a lot of posts on this forum and eurored is one of the better posters here, i'm sure you'd agree. The purpose of this forum is to debate and we all lose our heads sometimes, myself included.

Personally i agree with a lot of what eurored says, Rafa was certainly not whiter than white and a lot of this mess is down to him. I'm not saying that he is completely to blame, far from it. To blame him is as wrong as it wrong to completely blame the previous owners. The mess we find ourselves in is a culmination of bad boardroom management and bad football management. Just look at the turnaround of players we have seen in the last 5-6 years.

It is most certainly not my intention to turn this into a Rafa debate. I also think it's grossly unfair to claim that fellow supporters influenced the decision to bring Roy Hodgson in also. The Board made the decision to get rid of Rafa, while i was upset at the time i wasn't blind to the fact that Rafa had taken us as far as he could due to lack of funds. Had Rafa stayed on and been given backing from the new regime then i have no doubt that he could have taken us to the final stage. Unfortunately that didn't happen and i am happy with Kenny at the helm, overjoyed in fact. You see Rafa in a different light to others and that is your right as a human being. We are all here to debate, yet at the same time with the same common objective, to see Liverpool Football Club return to their rightful place at the top of the tree.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1160: Jan 13, 2011 02:13:56 pm
      My opinion is this.

Did you even watch the game?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1161: Jan 13, 2011 02:30:54 pm

Apologies sir, the players i've mentioned to get the boot are players i've mentioned since the start of the season, not based on the Blackpool game. Apologies if this has lead to misinterpretation.

Yes i did watch the game, Lucas was sh*te and N'Gog did F**k all as per F***ing usual. N'Gog is a F***ing joke, has the touch and subtlety of a rhino.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1162: Jan 13, 2011 02:52:44 pm
      Thanks HardCore.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #1163: Jan 13, 2011 03:48:07 pm
      I do think that this was a try out game for Kenny just to see what has got to deal with for the rest of the season. We did look better going forward, which is a plus and something to work on. I think we will see alot more of this formation under Kenny when he knows who his starting 11 will be week in week out. Better performance than under the previous manager ( dare i say his name ) but the result was,nt there and for me Kenny will have to spend some money now as this squad is defo not strong enough. I know it sounds seroius but this is now not a battle to see how we can finish in the league, its a case of survival now and if these very highly paid players that we have dont find some confidence soon we will be in the relegation dog fight sooner than we think.

Pepe - Cant really influance a game as captain when hes stuck inbetween the sticks and even hes leaking goals now.

Kelly - I still think he should be our first choice right back and another solid performance from him last night but not brillient.

Skrtle - I think hes lost it a bit of late, not very solid and maybe investment in the transfer window could be needed or give Soto, Wilson or Ayala a go when hes fit.

Agger - Still our best CB but needs another quality CB alongside him for him to shine.

Johnson - Totally inafective as a left back last night, got forward but could,nt get the ball onto his left peg to cross. Has to be put forward as our right winger IMO.

Poulson - Actually his best performance in a red shirt (dare i say it) but better quality is needed.

Lucas - Worked his arse off last night getting back and defending and tryed to get forward more.

Miereles - Not very good at all. Lost count how many times he was caught in possesion.

Kuyt - Not good enough, hes still a work horse,yes but hes got a touch like an elephant.

Jovanovic - Not the answer i,m afraid. Hes got lots of pace about him but its no good having that pace when you loose the ball the amount he did.

Torres - Took his goal really well and i thought he had more goals in him but again started walking around looking at the floor like he was not interested.

We need another striker, a left winger, a left back and maybe another CB that can go straight into the team and breath some fresh air into this first 11 and show some of the others how to get thier mojo back. Trying times ahead i think.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #1164: Jan 13, 2011 05:15:55 pm
      I'm sick of people blaming Poulsen for our defeat, I thought we are a club that helps welcome players I mean I thought Poulsen had an alright game last night, he was certainly better then Meriles yesterday.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #1165: Jan 13, 2011 05:32:42 pm

Too short list.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1166: Jan 13, 2011 05:34:14 pm
      I'm sick of people blaming Poulsen for our defeat, I thought we are a club that helps welcome players I mean I thought Poulsen had an alright game last night, he was certainly better then Meriles yesterday.
      Sorry he wasnt bad he was absent which is worse.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #1167: Jan 13, 2011 05:35:43 pm
      My opinion is this.

Two of our best player's this season, one of them Brazil's starting central Midfielder.
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #1168: Jan 13, 2011 05:49:50 pm
      Rafa got us to 2 Euro finals, a semi a quarter, and FA cup final, a Carling cup final  and a Uefa cup semi and our highest points tally in the league ever in six years. HIs only bad season was when the owners actively sought to disrupt him.
      In just six years with Traore at right back. Rafa was a god for us. Mourinho has been at the richest team in the league for the past eight years. IN the CL with INter he bought LUcio, Motta, Eto, Sneider and Milito in one transfer window. He has spent so much it is unbelievable and his football relies on Ronaldo or Robben or Drogba or Eto or any other world footballer of the year nicking a goal after his defensive side has kept them out. One is given a free ride by the press and one is damned. GO figure

Could you stop fighting about Benitez issue??? We have much more serious problems to deal with...
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #1169: Jan 13, 2011 05:53:20 pm
      Sorry he wasnt bad he was absent which is worse.

Ok then...
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #1170: Jan 13, 2011 05:53:48 pm
      We are now fighting against relegation and the Blackpool game showed why we are down there, no fight and little spirit, Hodgson put us there but in a way he inherited it from his ex-bosses but he still should have instilled a way of getting through games without losing like Rafa did last season. If we keep playing this way we will be in the mix to go down so Kenny has a tough job to get us playing again, I believe in him but he must get the defence sorted and soon. I hope we can buy a couple of players in this window but they must be better than what we have now.

I see some are still pointing the finger at Lucas who just happens to be one of our best players this season, I guess he's an easy target and it shows there are many supporters still looking for a scapegoat to blame, lay off guys or he might say enough is enough and then where will we be.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #1171: Jan 13, 2011 05:58:58 pm

:lmao:

Mate, the day you said to me that Skrtel was far better than Agger was the day your opinions meant nothing. ;)
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #1172: Jan 13, 2011 07:01:00 pm
      I know i am a bit late on this topic but I was pissed last night after the game so stayed away from the forum...I talk enough bollox when I am sober...anyway..

I see all the doom and gloom, we lost because Blackpool wanted it more.
      Someone posted earlier that the team were excellent against manure and torres was sh*t....and this game torres was excellent and the rest were sh*t...well lets hope the derby game sees the team and torres playing well.

I have posted my frustration about Torres a few times, and at times I have to try to ignore him when he plays cause he winds me up so much. In this game Kenny got him fired up, he will be fired up again for the derby....as far as I am concerned, an on form Torres means an on form Liverpool,

Kenny has shown us more in 2 games than Roy showed us all season, that is a big plus point, and in 3 games time we will have forgotten all about this game.

Quick Reply