Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Carra on Soccer Saturday

Read 12377 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Carra on Soccer Saturday
      Reply #92: Jan 19, 2011 04:53:33 pm
      And here is the problem.

Some seem to think that because he chucks himself about a lot (gallery shots for the press) that means he's a good defender, when actually the opposite is true.
      If he was as good as some seem to think he is, he wouldn't NEED to throw himself around, because he would be in the right position.

It might not go down too well, but I think Sami made Carra look better than he actually is, because there we had a player who really could read the game, cover the angles and organise the defense.

carra is a poor mans Sami - the fact he has been ignored by so many international managers is testament to this.

I agree that Sami made Carra look a better player, Sami was great in the air, had good positional skills and because he wasn't the fastest of players we played with quite a deep back line. All of which suited Carra down to the ground. Conversely playing beside Skrtle and especially Johnson has made Carra look much worse than he actually is. Johnsons neglegible positional skills combined with Skrtles ball watching would make most players look worse than they are.

Hansen said that Steve Nichol added two years to his (Hansen's) career because he was so good. I think Johnson may take two years off Carra's career.  

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #93: Jan 19, 2011 04:54:14 pm
      Carragher will make a good enough T.V. pundit tho'.

If any bugger outside the north west of England can understand him ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #94: Jan 19, 2011 05:10:56 pm
       Carra and Hyppia are very different defenders, and there's no doubt they complimented each other well. Carra will always be your last ditch body on the line type, a bit of a John Terry type if you like, while Sami was more your Rio Ferdinand, all positional sense and reading the game.

No argumetnsw on that, but unfortunately for both us and Carra, he is the only centre half we have at the club currently who can actually defend. Naturally if he had someone playing alongside him who could also do it, he would look better. That much stands to reason.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #95: Jan 19, 2011 05:33:10 pm
      Carra and Hyppia are very different defenders.

Yes, Hyypia could defend, read the game, organise and position himself well - he even made henchoz look good sometimes, and that was a bloody miracle.

Carra can do none of the above - he just isn't a great defender.

Agger is a better defender and footballer than Carra.

It wasn't because "the media hate us" or any other such nonsense that so many england managers didn't pick him, except sometimes as a utility back-up player.

He's still something of a legend, simply because he has played so many games, and given his all so many times - but he also comes across as someone who believes the hype about him, and it's simply not true.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #96: Jan 19, 2011 05:47:53 pm
      He was a good defender a few years ago but now he just  moans a lot.i would hate to play alongside him moaning and screaming all the time he didnt do that when Sami was his partner .Makes me think Sami was even better than we give him credit for.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #97: Jan 19, 2011 05:51:08 pm

Agger is a better defender than Carra.

Suffice to say I don't agree, but that's cool.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #98: Jan 19, 2011 05:55:29 pm
      Straight back in the squad as soon as hes fit for me, Skrtel out before he has a nervous breakdown.

I thought we were defending terribly at the start of the season when Carra was playing, but we've somehow managed to get worse since his injury, circus show at the back at the moment excluding Kelly.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #99: Jan 19, 2011 06:12:53 pm
      I honestly cannot believe some of the comments regarding Carra on this thread and indeed this forum, Carra has been one of our best players in recent years and although he is certainly not the best defender in the world posters opinions of him have not been very fair nor respectful, i appreciate we all have differing opinions and that the last couple of seasons have been far from Carra's best, at the same time nor do i believe he deserves so much negativity, eg: he gobbed off to journo's off the record, allegedly, he instigated Rafa's demise, he's to pally with those at talkshite, he refuses to play in certain positions, he chucks himself about for gallery shots, he only looked good because of Sami.

f***in listen to yourselves, you would have thought he had sh*t on us and then plied his trade to our biggest rivals, like someone else i could mention, oh and not so long ago  '' We all dream of a team of Carraghers '' was belted out from the Kop on regular occurence, has he really been such a judas, has he really been such a bad lad, has he been so outspoken it has pissed on some folks crisps, lest we forget beside Sami or not he has been a fantastic player for us over the years, he is a legend of this club the same as Crazyhorse was and Tommy Smith is and Thommo is and Jocky Hansen is etc etc etc, i for one am glad he signed that extension to his contract, and no he did'nt suck Roy's cock to get it, players like Carra are like goldust and the knowledge and experience he can pass on to youngsters is invaluable.

I think its very sad that fans of today have so little respect for players like Carra,maybe one day that respect will be regained and would it not be ironic that those who dis-respect him now would be eating Humble pie and those bitter fans from across Stanley park will be serving it up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #100: Jan 19, 2011 06:15:40 pm
      Great post Billy, spot on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #101: Jan 19, 2011 06:19:48 pm
      f***in listen to yourselves, you would have thought he had sh*t on us and then plied his trade to our biggest rivals, like someone else i could mention, oh and not so long ago  '' We all dream of a team of Carraghers '' was belted out from the Kop on regular occurence,

I also remember before that song got regularly sung I also remember him being booed off when subbed against Southampton back in December 2000!!

Just shows what hypocritical bas**rds football supporters really are!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      Reply #102: Jan 19, 2011 06:39:10 pm
      I also remember before that song got regularly sung I also remember him being booed off when subbed against Southampton back in December 2000!!

Just shows what hypocritical bas**rds football supporters really are!
      I think we can all be hypocritcal Huyton, just like professional footballers can have good days and bad
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #103: Jan 19, 2011 06:40:08 pm
      I honestly cannot believe some of the comments regarding Carra on this thread and indeed this forum, Carra has been one of our best players in recent years and although he is certainly not the best defender in the world posters opinions of him have not been very fair nor respectful, i appreciate we all have differing opinions and that the last couple of seasons have been far from Carra's best, at the same time nor do i believe he deserves so much negativity, eg: he gobbed off to journo's off the record, allegedly, he instigated Rafa's demise, he's to pally with those at talkshite, he refuses to play in certain positions, he chucks himself about for gallery shots, he only looked good because of Sami.

f***in listen to yourselves, you would have thought he had sh*t on us and then plied his trade to our biggest rivals, like someone else i could mention, oh and not so long ago  '' We all dream of a team of Carraghers '' was belted out from the Kop on regular occurence, has he really been such a judas, has he really been such a bad lad, has he been so outspoken it has pissed on some folks crisps, lest we forget beside Sami or not he has been a fantastic player for us over the years, he is a legend of this club the same as Crazyhorse was and Tommy Smith is and Thommo is and Jocky Hansen is etc etc etc, i for one am glad he signed that extension to his contract, and no he did'nt suck Roy's cock to get it, players like Carra are like goldust and the knowledge and experience he can pass on to youngsters is invaluable.

I think its very sad that fans of today have so little respect for players like Carra,maybe one day that respect will be regained and would it not be ironic that those who dis-respect him now would be eating Humble pie and those bitter fans from across Stanley park will be serving it up.

I have a lot of respect for what Carra has done, the games he has played, and for him putting his body on the line.

However, I've never been convinced that he is one of the best CB in england, let alone Europe or the world.

Sorry, but I just don't see it - his best years were when he had Sami beside him to help him out, and cover his mistakes.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      Reply #104: Jan 19, 2011 06:47:51 pm
      I have a lot of respect for what Carra has done, the games he has played, and for him putting his body on the line.

However, I've never been convinced that he is one of the best CB in england, let alone Europe or the world.

Sorry, but I just don't see it - his best years were when he had Sami beside him to help him out, and cover his mistakes.
      Thats fair enough KIK, i respect your opinion, i just don't like all the disrespect he has been getting of late and to be honest most of it unwarrented.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #105: Jan 19, 2011 08:12:56 pm
      Carra is a hypocrite end of.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #106: Jan 19, 2011 09:47:37 pm
      Carragher is a F***ing hero. End of!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #107: Jan 19, 2011 11:45:54 pm

I'm fairly sure he's a bit of both.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #108: Jan 20, 2011 02:05:51 am
      Like how now Carra is on the decline, he was suddenly never good enough in the first place. I think some of the things he has said (or didn't say)  is the real reason for the change of opinion on his playing abilities.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #109: Jan 20, 2011 08:04:28 am
       Yes, once he was reported to have offered the opinion when asked that perhaps Rafa had run his course, his playing abilities were always going to be questioned by many. Add in that he said Houllier was the best manager he ever worked with, and before you know where you are we shouldn't even be offering him a contract.

Had he have said that he was "absolutely devastated" that Rafa had gone, and gone on to say that Rafa was the best manager he ever worked with, his experience would be "f****** vital" to the team and he would deserve to be on a contract which was on a par with anyone else at the club given the length of service and his unfailing devotion to the cause.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #110: Jan 20, 2011 08:22:44 am
      Even arbeloa made carra look good at times.

Anyway i hope to see hyypia back in a coaching capacity at the club and carra can go to the f. A where he has been much loved over the past decade.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #111: Jan 20, 2011 09:48:36 am
      Carragher is a f**king hero. End of!!
      Isnt everyone????nobodys perfect eh.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #112: Jan 20, 2011 10:04:30 am
      I honestly cannot believe some of the comments regarding Carra on this thread and indeed this forum, Carra has been one of our best players in recent years and although he is certainly not the best defender in the world posters opinions of him have not been very fair nor respectful, I appreciate we all have differing opinions and that the last couple of seasons have been far from Carra's best, at the same time nor do I believe he deserves so much negativity, eg: he gobbed off to journo's off the record, allegedly, he instigated Rafa's demise, he's to pally with those at talkshite, he refuses to play in certain positions, he chucks himself about for gallery shots, he only looked good because of Sami.

F**kin listen to yourselves, you would have thought he had sh*t on us and then plied his trade to our biggest rivals, like someone else I could mention, oh and not so long ago  '' We all dream of a team of Carraghers '' was belted out from the Kop on regular occurence, has he really been such a judas, has he really been such a bad lad, has he been so outspoken it has pissed on some folks crisps, lest we forget beside Sami or not he has been a fantastic player for us over the years, he is a legend of this club the same as Crazyhorse was and Tommy Smith is and Thommo is and Jocky Hansen is etc etc etc, I for one am glad he signed that extension to his contract, and no he did'nt suck Roy's cock to get it, players like Carra are like goldust and the knowledge and experience he can pass on to youngsters is invaluable.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's disgraceful the way some people are showing so little respect to a club legend. Was he the best centre half we ever had? No! Was he one of the best centre halves of his generation in England? No! Did he put on that red jersey and give 100% every single time, put his body on the line and basically epitamise everything thats good about loyal footballers. YES. As billy said you'd swear he did a Michael Owen on us and left. Respect is a very hard thing to earn but Carra has a right to call himself a pure Liverpoo legend and the amount of disrespect being shown to him is nothing short of a bloody disgrace.
      Carra YOU ARE LEGEND!!!!!
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #113: Jan 20, 2011 02:52:11 pm
      Bloody hell, it seems some people have actually built up a real dislike for Carra on here.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #114: Jan 20, 2011 03:11:10 pm
      Bloody hell, it seems some people have actually built up a real dislike for Carra on here.

Yup, it makes me sick tbh.

Shooting the guy down because he isn't Rafas number one fan, and has been keeping his options open for his future, whilst out injured is no reason to start hating the guy and criticising his ability, his mentality or his personality.

The guy is one of my heros and not because he was the best CB's we have had, but beause their is nobody who wants to win more than Carra, nobody who would run through walls for the good of the team more than Carra, nobody who puts their body on the line more than Carra, and all in all nobody who tries more than Carra. He will go that extra mile for you, you would want him next to you in a tricky situation, more than you would want any other Liverpool player, because he is as loyal as they come.

Seen a quote, think it was from Shabs, who said if Carra loves the club so much, why not take a play as you play deal?

Well mate, that is one of the most fu**ed up things I have read in a loooooong time.

Respect is a two way street, Carra deserves respect from the club, he deserves to have a nice contract, he has built his way up from small fry money, to the big time with his hard work, and that is how it should be. He deserves his contract, wether people like how it came about or not, he is a legend, and deserves to be treated like one.

Why must people take sides, it is beyond childish. Rafa and Carra will perhaps not get on. That is football, they both still respect each other, and hardly slag each other off. Grow up.

Quick Reply