Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool To Give Dalglish Money To Spend (BBC)

Read 7165 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Liverpool To Give Dalglish Money To Spend (BBC)
      Jan 19, 2011 06:01:42 pm
      I suppose this would answer *LFC 4EVA* thread http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=35787.0

Liverpool to give Dalglish money to spend on players
      By Dan Roan BBC sports news correspondent

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner insists Kenny Dalglish will be given funds to strengthen the squad at Anfield.

Dalglish has taken charge for the rest of the season at Anfield following the sacking of Roy Hodgson this month.

"I would we devastated if we didn't see some improvement," Werner told BBC Sport. "We've identified some targets and hope we will be successful.

"I expect progress, we've resources to improve, we're not driven by spending, but our team needs to get younger."

The appointment of Anfield legend Dalglish, who made 355 appearances for the club and managed the team from 1985-1991, was hugely popular with the Liverpool fans, who had become disillusioned with Hodgson.

Dalglish took charge with the Reds in 12th place in the Premier League, and began his new spell with a 1-0 defeat at Manchester United in an FA Cup third-round tie.

A 2-1 league defeat at Blackpool in the league followed, before the new manager picked up his first point with a 2-2 draw in the Merseyside derby with Everton at Anfield.

The team currently lie 13th, only four points above the relegation zone, but are only four points behind Bolton in seventh with a Europa League round of 32 tie against Sparta Prague in prospect next month.

Werner said: "We feel very confident we're making progress. There's not an overnight success, our squad has been inconsistent and we expect to improve it short term.

"Kenny's got many of the qualities we've looked for in a manager, he has the confidence of the players and we'll start to see better results."

Hodgson, who previously managed Blackburn and Fulham in the Premier League, was dismissed after less than six months at the Liverpool helm having won only seven of 20 league matches.

Werner said: "He may not have been the right man for Liverpool at this time.

"We felt we needed to change. We handled it with dignity, I think quite highly of him and we all take some responsibility for what has been an inconsistent season."

Attendances at Anfield dropped significantly towards the end of Hodgson's reign and Werner added: "We were aware of the fans point of view - in a perfect world we wouldn't have had to make the change but we're in a results business."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9367115.stm
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2011 03:08:33 pm by JD »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Liverpool To Give Dalglish Money To Spend
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2011 06:09:56 pm
      Daglish and Comolli ;)

hopefully the team can work together, bring in the right players and improve results :)
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2011 06:18:45 pm
      Reassuring, so will be interesting to learn of who those targets are.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2011 06:22:36 pm
      Great news, just need to make sure we bring in the right players and things will soon be looking up.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2011 06:26:46 pm

I think it's safe to say that Luis Suarez is one of them ;)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Jan 19, 2011 06:33:47 pm
      I'm thinking we need a central Defender, Winger and a Striker to turn the tide, Not sure we'll get them all in this window.
      With Babel gone, we are very short on attacking options, so a striker has to be priorty.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #6: Jan 19, 2011 06:44:00 pm
      Would it not be better to learn of our signings rather than targets, that way we won't lose them !
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7: Jan 19, 2011 06:44:39 pm
      Just read the news on ESPN......Finally.  

We seem to be making the moves we needed to make 8 months ago. Any Ideas on possible players?

Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2011 06:47:41 pm
      I'm thinking we need a central Defender, Winger and a Striker to turn the tide, Not sure we'll get them all in this window.
      With Babel gone, we are very short on attacking options, so a striker has to be priorty.

What we won't get in the transfer window will be replaced by talent in the academy so no reason to be upset.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #9: Jan 19, 2011 06:49:51 pm
      "We don't have any budget for this. We believe if there is value in the transfer market, we will attack. This is a crazy market. You think you have a target you can announce, but then something happens.

"We'll be driven by the interests of the team long-term, and we feel we've got some targets that we'll be able to announce. Damien [Comolli] has been on the phone and we talk, and we hope we can have a match with someone we desire and that they'll come to Anfield. We certainly have the resources."

That was from the interview too.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #10: Jan 19, 2011 06:51:40 pm
      Hopefully these are promises they will live too
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Jan 19, 2011 07:06:18 pm
      Would it not be better to learn of our signings rather than targets, that way we won't lose them !
      Just interested as to who they are.....Aren't you?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #12: Jan 19, 2011 07:15:07 pm

Prefer to see them at Anfield holding up the jersey, instead of endless speculation.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Jan 19, 2011 07:16:46 pm
      Think its safe to say Orchard that even with Babel ... we were short on attacking options.
       ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2011 07:20:57 pm
      Arda Turan, Ashley Young, Suarez, Shawcross will do for now i suppose   :f_whistle:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2011 07:24:32 pm
      This will be interesting.

Dalglish was been watching Liverpool for years as an outsider. He will know the strenghs and the weakness' of each player.

He will know who is safe, and who is not. He will know where the vacancies are. (STRIKER)

Houllier had lots to spend, and I think was on the right track when his illness happened and to be fair may have clouded some of his judgements.
      Benitez spent a fair amount as has been well documented, but when you look at the money recouped, espically in his latter years as Liverpool manager, he did not have all that much to spend. Things may have been different, and I am sure it would have been, if he had more to spend, and may not have had to buy all those duds. But we will never know.
      Hodgson, well he spent £20m in the summer on more duds, BUT that £20m was from the sale of Mascherano, but even so, they were duds.

So Houllier and the early Benitez years, where improvement and success came were associated with some degree of spending power.

Benitez in the latter years, and Hodgson were resticted by a crippling debt, placed on the club by H&G, Success disapeared, and  our dimise started.

We now have NESV/UKSV...

So if Dalglish is given money to spend, lets hope it will be enough to buy QUALITY players that he feels will IMPROVE the team, and not just to fill a hole, or has an exotic name.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011 07:30:56 pm by RedPuppy »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2011 07:28:18 pm
      i wonder if Kenny has spoken to Rafa ?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2011 07:30:45 pm
      Hopefully these are promises they will live too
      There not really promising anything.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2011 07:52:37 pm
      i dont know if its me, but after reading that i just see us buying talented youngsters for the future. the likes of that chamberlain from southampton etc. i would like to see some investment for now, even if only a couple of players
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2011 08:46:13 pm
      Prefer to see them at Anfield holding up the jersey, instead of endless speculation.

Much prefer to see them wearing the shirt rather than endless talk about people who may or may not sign for us the only thing I want for my club is for it to be successful, whether its with players we currently have or are yet to sign !
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #20: Jan 19, 2011 10:20:02 pm
      This will be interesting.

Dalglish was been watching Liverpool for years as an outsider. He will know the strenghs and the weakness' of each player.

He will know who is safe, and who is not. He will know where the vacancies are. (STRIKER)

Houllier had lots to spend, and I think was on the right track when his illness happened and to be fair may have clouded some of his judgements.
      Benitez spent a fair amount as has been well documented, but when you look at the money recouped, espically in his latter years as Liverpool manager, he did not have all that much to spend. Things may have been different, and I am sure it would have been, if he had more to spend, and may not have had to buy all those duds. But we will never know.
      Hodgson, well he spent £20m in the summer on more duds, BUT that £20m was from the sale of Mascherano, but even so, they were duds.

So Houllier and the early Benitez years, where improvement and success came were associated with some degree of spending power.

Benitez in the latter years, and Hodgson were resticted by a crippling debt, placed on the club by H&G, Success disapeared, and  our dimise started.

We now have NESV/UKSV...

So if Dalglish is given money to spend, lets hope it will be enough to buy QUALITY players that he feels will IMPROVE the team, and not just to fill a hole, or has an exotic name.
      I assume that Daglish knows what players he wants and how good they are. I even have a little more confidence in Kenny handling the transfers than Rafa. Anyone but Hodgson.  But, I think Kenny will get whatever we need and whether they are all world players or someone to fill a need I have confidence in him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #21: Jan 19, 2011 10:28:39 pm
      I assume that Daglish knows what players he wants and how good they are. I even have a little more confidence in Kenny handling the transfers than Rafa. Anyone but Hodgson.  But, I think Kenny will get whatever we need and whether they are all world players or someone to fill a need I have confidence in him.

You are not the only one. ;)

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22: Jan 20, 2011 08:00:03 am
       It's only right that the owners are going to back Kenny. I hope that they back him up not just with money, but with time as well. If he manages to get this lot looking like a football team before the end of the season he deserves a good couple of years to have a proper crack at it. Any manager deserves a fair crack of the whip, and that isn't half a season. Clubs constantly changing who is in charge never prosper, that much is a fact.

As for buying new players, unfortunately the bill may be higher than NESV realise once all the holes have been filled. We have a squad of players which is a long way short of the teams up the top of the league, not just a player or two but a player or six.

Quick Reply