Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

If Suarez and/or Adam don't happen...........

Read 4650 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      If Suarez and/or Adam don't happen...........
      Jan 27, 2011 09:09:22 pm
      Should we look elsewhere in THIS window? Can we seriously expect to go through the rest of the season with Torres as our only viable striking option?

My own feeling is that a feelgood factor has swept through the players, the fans, the ground, the boards etc etc since Kenny took over and we are riding a bit of a wave. It seems to me to be the perfect time to introduce a bit of fresh blood, to spice up the squad a bit and if these two lads are going to prove more expensive than we are prepared to pay, surely it is approaching the time when we should look at second choice options.

Whether it be Steven Ireland for a midfield possibility, Charles N'Zogbia as a wide man and/or some lad or lads from overseas as striking options, lets look to do some business and at the very least put some pressure on Blackpool and Ajax.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: If Suarez and/or Adam don't happen...........
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2011 09:11:26 pm
      Cutting it fine for this window Mick, I reckon all the targets will have been approached by now.  You heard what Kenny said, everything is done behind closed doors, so who knows, we might get what we wish for yet  ;) ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2011 09:17:45 pm
       Apologies about the wrong section, I'm not oh-fey (how do you write that FFS) with the etiquette on the boards yet. I take peoples point about it being too long in the window, but if we don't get a striker at the very least and Torres gets injured next week, not signing someone like an Adebayor or even a John Carew on loan is going to look like a major oversight IMHO.   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2011 09:26:21 pm
      I doubt City would have dealt with us in fairness. Pity because they will be offloading players at good discounts. Suarez would be a quality signing. . . If it fails we have a short time and I would like to see us focus on support for Torres. Someone who can play with or instead of him. Only leaves Negredo. To be honest we need an impact signing this window to carry some momentum and boost the players more
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2011 09:32:14 pm
      I'd be gutted if we dont get Suarez to be honest, think he could really help bring out the best in Nando and forge a killer partnership with him. World Class player IMO and not many are as prolific as him.

Not bothered about Adam though, dont rate him that highly. Rather just keep faith in Shelvey and have him develop at the club.

If neither happen then just have to keep the improvement going and strengthen in the summer.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2011 10:50:42 pm
      The owners must be promising then, don't you think so?
      They know they have to pay more in Jan as the norm goes, still they are tracking top-class targets while offering mediocre money. They're showing themselves in the first transfer window with the club as misers and immature. You simply don't waste your time for targets you already know you can't/won't afford them.
      If they don't spend big in Jan (esp after the sale of Babel) while we desperately need new faces to rescue what's left of our season, then they must be the new version of the old yanks!
      Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. We'll just wait and see...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2011 11:01:05 pm
      Are NESV actually serious about these offers, or are they just wanting to be seen bidding, to get the fans on their side. We seem to be just as slow and indifferent in these transferrs as we were under twit and tw*t, and we know what their motives were. It's about time we went for a target with some enthiusiasm. How does Suarez or Adam feel that we don't value them high enough to force the sale. Let's either get it done or make a decision to pull out.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #7: Jan 27, 2011 11:01:11 pm
      Babel was never going to be our seasons saviour
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #8: Jan 27, 2011 11:01:51 pm
      I will be gutted if we don't sign Suarez especially if there is no other attacking player coming in.

I like Charlie Adam and think he is an excellent player but I could take it or leave it especially if it's anything more than about £8M.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2011 11:46:41 pm
      Well it would be nice to have more than one world class striker for the first time in a long time.

I think we have run  ourselves ragged with all the transfer speculation.

If they dont happen the world aint going to end.

In just and only six months  we have:

Sacked Rafa.

Sacked Hodgson

Ejected Tom Hicks

Ejected George Gillett.

Wiped out 300 million worth of crippling debt.

Have new excellent owners.

Have our Kenny back and the Boot Room on fire.

May have a European chance again by seasons end.

Thats just a few reasons to be cheerful.

Suarez and Adams would be nice but then .... que sera sera.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2011 11:47:54 pm
      Nice perspective eurored.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2011 11:51:37 pm
      Loved how rafa was at the top of the list!  :roll:and we never got him sacked it was the c**t in the heels remember.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2011 11:52:45 pm
      It's not the end of the world if we don't get Adam or Suarez.

I know it's not an ideal event but at least we're playing better football now and just to add on to eurored's post, we now have a manager and owners that are heading in the same direction as us.

There's always the summer to look forward to as long as none of our important players want out.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2011 11:56:41 pm
      Wasn't expecting anything earth shattering this window, be pleased if the Suarez comes, bit meh about Adams.  Still think July is far more important.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2011 12:29:05 am
      Loved how rafa was at the top of the list  

First to happen Shabs....
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2011 12:32:43 am
      ^

But Roy Hodgson sacked wasn't second after that :P
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2011 12:34:08 am

Well you got 2nd 3rd & 4th in the wrong order then fella.  ;)
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 28, 2011 01:16:07 am
      Rather than Adams, I hope we are going for Arda
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2011 01:55:35 am
      we've left it really really late to do much. i don't know what to make of it. it seems like NESV have fu**ed around too much, i've tried to understand their motives, i think they know what they want to spend whatever they set aside for Jan and they think 25 mil (or whatever Ajax wants) cuts into deals for other players too much. I would have thought we would have tried harder to offload Konch, Jovanovic, Babel etc to get some more moolah.

we really should have snagged Suarez and N'Zogbia in this window they both want to and are ready to play at a bigger club. I think it's the Americans holding us back again..........
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #19: Jan 28, 2011 02:21:32 am
      Babel is gone. Jova apparently turned down a move to wolfsburg and the konch deal is still floating about.
      Agree that I too would have loved some more/any movements into the club but am hopeful that the end of the season will be when we begin to clean house.
      Players have to be discarded and a foundation for the future has to be built.
      If suarz and adam don't come in then we are still good enough to get into the top 6.
      Kenny has already shown that he is willing to play the youngsters and I hope we take the next 5 months to trust in our youth policy and play the kids.
      Its not all bad if we sign no one this transfer window. I still see progress and still expect a top 6 place and a big clear out and quality restocking in the summer. 
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #20: Jan 28, 2011 03:53:41 am
      None of us know the details of whats going on with trying to get Suarez here, But in my opinion if Ajax are willing to sell for around £20million and we're not buying for that price then questions have to be asked about if NESV or Comoli have what it takes to get us the big signings like Torres. Yes City, Chelsea, Madrid and Barca have stuffed up the price of players but spending £20million on a player like Suarez isn't exactly going to break the bank, It's normal now.

I thought Werner said we would be attacking the market and the funds are there to be used.

I'm not saying that we should bow to the pressure of other clubs because they know we have money now and pay over the right amount but if we went in and said heres £18million they probably would have taken it. As far as I'm concerned if we did offer them £12.5million that's an insult.

In the summer we won't stand a chance getting Suarez because City, United, Chelsea, Real, Barca and every other fkn club will want him.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #21: Jan 28, 2011 04:15:30 am
      Remember Berbatov heading to City but end up at Old Trafford?
      If we seriously to get Suarez, initial bid £12.5m + Babel and we need about another £3m to make it happen.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2011 04:21:32 am
      Remember Berbatov heading to City but end up at Old Trafford?
      If we seriously to get Suarez, initial bid £12.5m + Babel and we need about another £3m to make it happen.

Babel has already been sold for £7mil I think.

We should cash in on Aquilani, Insua, Jova and Kuyt plus the apparent limitless funds we already have and get this sucker in here asap!

Theres over £25 mil for that lot there!

Quick Reply