Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Transfer Value and Bidding For Players

Read 2330 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Transfer Value and Bidding For Players
      Jan 28, 2011 10:46:53 am
      I think this deserves a thread as there has been a lot of talk over the last few weeks about our bids for Suarez and Adam.

We have put in bids for two players that have been deemed too low by their repsective clubs. I have no problem with either club not accepting the bid but the way they have reacted, Blackpool in particular, has really been over the top.

As far as I'm aware any club can bid to buy any player as long as they approach the club first with an offer. It is then up to the selling club to either reject the offer and say the player is not for sale, accept it and let the player speak to the buyer or reject it but indicate the player is for sale but at a price that is more acceptable to both parties.

Now we have put in offers for Suarez and Adam and both have not been accepted by thier clubs but both clubs have indicated their players are available at the right price. We have, in some peoples opinion's bid low but that is well within our right. We value a player at a certain price and bid accordingly.

It is no good when Balckpool in particular are in the media virtually every day complaing about our offer when they have indicated on more than one occasion that they would allow Adam to leave if certain clubs came in for him. As I said either reject the bid, say he isn't moving and move on or indicate what is acceptable and realistic and we can make the deal. At the end of the day Adam is only worth what clubs are willing to pay and the fact that ourselves, Villa and Birmingham have all bid around the same value indicates that it is a fair enough offer we have made if a little on the low side but we are hardly going to go in with our highest offer immedialtely.

Contrast this with our dealing with Chelsea's bid for Torres. They made a low offer which was unacceptable, we reject it and say the player is not for sale and move on. I guarantee you will not have us moaning every day in the media about their low offer for Torres. They bid, not accepted, not for sale and we move on as it should be.

I'm fed up with clubs complaining about low offers as it's easily solved and also every club will do the same as Chelsea have proved. Does anyone really think Blackpool and Ajax will go in all guns blazing when bidding for players? No is the answer as they have a duty to their clubs to get the best possible deal when trying to buy players just as our owners are trying to do for us.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011 10:59:51 am by srslfc »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Transfer Value and Bidding For Players
      Reply #1: Jan 28, 2011 10:55:20 am
      Not much to add other than to say I totally agree. As long as we're approaching the clubs and not the player then we have every right to make a bid, whatever the amount.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2: Jan 28, 2011 11:00:00 am
      Reason why Blackpool and Ajax are moaning is because they are willing to sell but want more money. We aren't willing to sell nando, nando even stated he wants to see out his contract at anfield. Don't listen to the spanish w**ker, either way he wins, he doesn't get sold, he'll say he was right because he didn't have buy out clause, if he does get sold, he can say that torres asked for it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Jan 28, 2011 11:42:21 am
      Agree with most of the first post, it is an irritating habit nowadays that clubs are quicker and quicker to make transfer dealings public.

Often it's an attempt from the smaller club to drive up a player's value or make it known he's available, in the hope rival bids will come in to raise the selling price.

We have been guilty of it in the past, just recently we were making a scandal of the initial bid Real made for Alonso, though the figures were genuinely very, very low due to our financial woes at the time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2011 11:48:29 am
      Agree with most of the first post, it is an irritating habit nowadays that clubs are quicker and quicker to make transfer dealings public.

Often it's an attempt from the smaller club to drive up a player's value or make it known he's available, in the hope rival bids will come in to raise the selling price.

We have been guilty of it in the past, just recently we were making a scandal of the initial bid Real made for Alonso, though the figures were genuinely very, very low due to our financial woes at the time.

The main problem I have with Blackpool in particular Ayrton is that they have openly admitted that Charlie Adam would be allowed to leave if one of the big clubs, including us, came in for him. They have brought this on themselves and should not have expected us to come in with a massive offer considering Villa only offered £3.5M.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2011 02:55:50 pm
      They just want to maximise their profits on a player who probably has a the highest value in their squads (in both cases of Suarez and Adam). They aren't rich clubs, especially Blackpool obviously, so I don't blame them for trying to get their money's worth.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2011 03:01:35 pm
      They just want to maximise their profits on a player who probably has a the highest value in their squads (in both cases of Suarez and Adam). They aren't rich clubs, especially Blackpool obviously, so I don't blame them for trying to get their money's worth.

That's fair enough ar but they don't need to be in the media virtually every day criticising our club for putting in an offer for a player who in there own words would be allowed to leave for a big club.

Ian Holloway and the chairman have done nothing but criticise us for putting an offer in for a player they seem to be willing to sell. All they had to do was reject the offer or indicate to Comolli what a sensible price would be instead of trying to make us look like we have done something wrong.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #7: Jun 09, 2011 01:39:30 am
      Didn't want to start a new topic so I'll bump this one.

There many on here who seem to be more focused on what new players are costing rather than discussing what they will bring to the team.

I'm of the opinion that FSG, Kenny and Comolli are the best people qualified to know how much to spend on any player they are looking to bring to this club as they are either in charge of the finances or in Kenny's case managing the team and know what players he is looking to add for next season.

A player is only worth what the buying club are willing to spend and I don't for one minute think that these people, in particular Kenny, will spend the clubs money foolishly and if they feel the player is worth it and can afford the deal why should we argue about it.

It's also been debated that it is our money the club are spending through revenues on match day, tickets, merchandise etc and that we should be concerned if the club are overspending to secure the transfer. I would say that most of us would want money we put into the club spent on players and again if the club feel it's right to spend a certain figure on a player then we should be happy that our money is going to strengthen the team.

As it's been said on here before by myself and others. Is it not better to over spend by a few million and get the players the manager wants than to be back where we were either losing money on interest payments with no money going on players or losing out on the managers targets due to the people in charge dithering or wanting to save a few million.

I know what I would rather see the club do.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #8: Jun 09, 2011 01:43:12 am
      Dalglish will decide if he wants a player, Dalglish will decide what that player is worth, if the Club do not accept our final offer then Dalglish will walk away.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #9: Jun 09, 2011 01:46:18 am
      Dalglish will decide if he wants a player, Dalglish will decide what that player is worth, if the Club do not accept our final offer then Dalglish will walk away.

And I for one am happy with that situation.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jun 09, 2011 02:16:38 am
      If Torres had cost 5 million extra, I doubt anyone would have cared. It's all based on the player's impact over their time at the club, really. Until then we're all just pissing in the wind.
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #11: Jun 09, 2011 02:18:31 am
      If Torres had cost 5 million extra, I doubt anyone would have cared. It's all based on the player's impact over their time at the club, really. Until then we're all just pissing in the wind.

Exactly what i think. If Torres was bangin goals in £50 million wouldn't be mentioned

Quick Reply