Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Luis Suarez (Liverpool -> Barcelona)

Read 786503 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Luis Suarez Player Thread
      Reply #5014: Dec 05, 2013 07:48:48 pm
      Stands accused of cruelty to canaries.

3 times they've failed to stop him comprehensively humiliating them.
      I've heard they're adamant they can stop him with a new plan.
      Apparently Delia Smith and her mates are gonna lock him in a burning wicker man, outside Carrow Rd. :-/
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #5015: Dec 05, 2013 08:15:14 pm
      What you said earlier about players of that era indulging in questionable recreational practices could apply to George Best, he used to f**king hammer it and still come up with the goods on match day. It did take it's toll eventually but having seen a documentary his carry on at the pinnacle of his career was astonishing.
      On topic: Luis matches anyone full stop.

I think he could do it because he hadn't put weight on, or started carrying niggling injuries. Drink, and different things were fatal to Fowler's career.

Best played for a vile excuse of a football "club", but the older generation tend to talk about him as a measuring point for everyone else in Britain, or even the world. I'm sure Luis is more rounded than Best.

One thing we don't see masses of is Luis zipping away from the defenders/midfielders  eg down a flank to go 1 on 1 with the keeper.. I think its a myth that Luis "isn't super fast". He gets thro masses of work and rarely even has a Summer break. If he drifted in and out of a match, he'd use blasts of extreme pace more. Many of his goals are a result of leaving a defender for dead. I think he could play the Bale/ early Ronaldo role ie counter-attacking in a 45yd run etc. However, at Liverpool, Luis is at the heart of everything, so we don't see so much of those sorts of long runs. A forward wizard who dominates the match in the same way some midfielders would. In that respect he is similar to Messi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJ_sTgFFMk#t=10

Just watched this again, and I think its up there the best individual performances Ive seen from a footballer .
      He sure loves those ouside-of-the-boot passes, dont he? He did around 5 in the match, all perfectly placed, and 2 should have ended up being assists.

Amazing, after Messi, he is the best footballer for me. ROnaldo is a great goalscorer, a machine, but as far as footbal, id stick with Luis anytime, anyday.

I'd do this list of intl players since the early 70s or so. Pele, Maradona, the young Gullit, the young Brazillian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho for a while, Messi, C Ronaldo, and Suarez. I think its fair to put Luis along with these. He can do things some of them can't. Which I think is pretty phenomenal. I also think he is better than King Kenny too... Infact, signing him was an absolute wonderstroke from King Kenny. Shame he wasn't given due recognition for it..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5016: Dec 05, 2013 08:52:49 pm
      It's not just his dribbling and shooting he is brilliant at, his passing is out of this world as well, can't think of a player that can pass like him with the outside of his foot. The way he can play a pin point pass like it diagonally across the pitch is incredible, I haven't even seen Xavi or Alonso pull off passes like that!

Would be incredible if he scored 4 against West Ham too!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5017: Dec 05, 2013 09:01:51 pm
      One thing that came to mind last night watching the match, if I was a Liverpool player, after every goal he scored last night, I'd be running up to him and telling him how good he is and telling him he's well on his way to becoming an Anfield Legend. Don't leave us, you could be revered the way King Kenny is one day. Why go to Real where the most important player at the Club is CR7. You are the most important player at OUR Club so stick around and give yourself ledengery status. I'd be in his ear the whole time, even on the training pitch. I don't care if he gets a big head, I want to see him  mesmerizing US and other Clubs for years to come.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5018: Dec 05, 2013 09:04:43 pm
      Surely a performance like that would encourage the owners to spend big money to get these top players in because not only will it benefit the team but it will make Suarez EVEN BETTER playing with more quality around him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #5019: Dec 05, 2013 09:09:09 pm
      Surely a performance like that would encourage the owners to spend big money to get these top players in because not only will it benefit the team but it will make Suarez EVEN BETTER playing with more quality around him.

Abasfuckinglootely mate. They need to splash some serious cash but spend it on quality, not fringe players or players for the future. Get some quality seasoned players that will help us NOW.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5020: Dec 05, 2013 09:16:14 pm
      Abasfuckinglootely mate. They need to splash some serious cash but spend it on quality, not fringe players or players for the future. Get some quality seasoned players that will help us NOW.

We will have a much better chance of getting the quality players during January than we did back in the summer if we are still in the top 4. Desperate for us to get back into the Champions League and Suarez be part of it, imagine the records that stand for us in terms of European goals, goal rates etc that he would beat! He has 43 goals in the last season and a bit, and that's having served a 10 match ban!

He is well on the way to beating his league tally of last season. Dare we say a Premier League goal record for a season if he keeps in this form?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #5021: Dec 05, 2013 09:45:18 pm
      We will have a much better chance of getting the quality players during January than we did back in the summer if we are still in the top 4. Desperate for us to get back into the Champions League and Suarez be part of it, imagine the records that stand for us in terms of European goals, goal rates etc that he would beat! He has 43 goals in the last season and a bit, and that's having served a 10 match ban!

He is well on the way to beating his league tally of last season. Dare we say a Premier League goal record for a season if he keeps in this form?

Mate he makes us dream of the endless possibilities. Seeing him last night under lights and the mind wonders about him gracing the hallowed turf under European Night lights and it just brings a smile to your face. I love the man.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #5022: Dec 05, 2013 09:55:59 pm
      I'd do this list of intl players since the early 70s or so. Pele, Maradona, the young Gullit, the young Brazillian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho for a while, Messi, C Ronaldo, and Suarez. I think its fair to put Luis along with these. He can do things some of them can't. Which I think is pretty phenomenal. I also think he is better than King Kenny too... Infact, signing him was an absolute wonderstroke from King Kenny. Shame he wasn't given due recognition for it..

I was talking about now. Dont think he is even in a top 20 since 1970...Pele ,Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Van Basten, Maradona, Francescoli, Baggio, Ronaldo (original), and lots of etc.

RIGHT NOW, i think he is the second best footballer (but if i HAD to win a match, one of those you need players at 500%, id pick Luis over Messi. DOnt think Messi would stop a shot with his hands on the goal line, or stop a shot with his head, or go trough a brick wall)

Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #5023: Dec 05, 2013 10:18:01 pm
      Mad genius.

A mad F***ing footballing genius.

Love him.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #5024: Dec 05, 2013 10:20:22 pm

He hasnt peaked yet. Seriously, you have no clue what this guy is capable of. Ive been watching him since he was a youngster, and ive seen isolated moments of magic beyond belief. Yesterday, he pulled maybe 7-8 magical moments all in one match!! And ive never seen a will to win bigger than his, ever, and i live in the land of miracles, and mental ironmen of football. He has surpassed all ive seen in that aspect

He was always a fantastic finisher, its just that he is SO GOOD, that he always tried to place the shots an inch from the bar or post, hence his 890 post hits from his early Liverpool days. Now he tries to be not be so perfect, and its working perfectly ;)

Just imagine what he could do if he was properly accompanied. Now with Cou and Stevie, i think he has players on his same channel, or close

He is a complete machine, who has the ability and technique to accompany the will and attitude.
      He never gets tired, he always wants more.
      He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.
      He never wants to be substituted, not even when he has scored 4 and has 1 assist.
      His body is made of rock, designed to withstand the abuse he gets from inferior players who cant handle him.
      His mind is that of a 13 year old, and play with that disrespect and joy, trying the impossible
      He is so complete he could probably play in every position on the field beside CB, and still be useful.

He is the quintessential footballer.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5025: Dec 05, 2013 10:31:18 pm
      Shows just how good he is by the fact that after just a few years at the club, he is a contender for our greatest ever player! Really does make you sit back and think "Fernando who?"
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #5026: Dec 05, 2013 10:36:38 pm
      I was talking about now. Dont think he is even in a top 20 since 1970...Pele ,Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Van Basten, Maradona, Francescoli, Baggio, Ronaldo (original), and lots of etc.

RIGHT NOW, i think he is the second best footballer (but if i HAD to win a match, one of those you need players at 500%, id pick Luis over Messi. DOnt think Messi would stop a shot with his hands on the goal line, or stop a shot with his head, or go trough a brick wall)

I think Beckenbauer would absolutely walk into any world all time 11. But he's a sweeper. And on my list of "best player ever", I always think of a goalscorer who can create eg generally a "number 10" etc.

I mean Van Basten was v prob a better classic number 9 than Luis, but nowhere near the complete player who creates, dribbles, goes deep AND scores etc.

I think Luis is better than Francescoli and Baggio and  Platini. He's more complete than Zidane and Bergkamp. Shevchenko was fantastic at his peak. I did think of Cruyff, but he was before my time. Maybe Cruyff was helped by the absolutely wonderful Dutch team he played in. And Cruyff may have needed to be stronger for today's game? So I think Luis would stand up pretty well against all this list.

Ronaldo looks like he's built like some sort of android - the perfectly footballing machine, which obviously helps his game. But I'm not sure if he has the pure artistry of Luis. So its a close call.

Messi doesn't have the atheticism of either Luis or CR. He does have this incredibly mastery of dribbling the ball, as did Ronaldinho, the Braz Ronaldo and Maradona.

I don't think I could say Luis is "better" than some of these. But he's surely in their class. Sometimes we've seen players on the same "wavelength" as Luis. Occasionally COutinho, occasionally Sahin or Gerrard. Sturridge's skill, pace and directness sometimes make Luis even harder to play against. So I think it would be really interesting to see what Luis would be like if he didn't need to go deep and look for the ball.

PS re the rock comments, there really is something superhuman about him. Touch wood, I'm struggling to think whether he's ever been injured for more than a couple of games. Add to that his gigantic workrate AND the fact he's playing in some tournament virtually every Summer, this is an absolute phenomenon in its own right. I mean there are plenty of stars that burned bright then faded away - Gullit, Ronaldo Mk1, Ronaldinho, Barnes, Fowler, Gascoigne, V Basten, Best etc etc. We're very fortunate.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5027: Dec 05, 2013 11:28:02 pm
      Is all forgiven yet? It is with me. Whilst he is playing in Liverpool red I intend to love and enjoy him.

One of the greatest players to play for the club.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #5028: Dec 06, 2013 12:26:10 am
      I think Beckenbauer would absolutely walk into any world all time 11. But he's a sweeper. And on my list of "best player ever", I always think of a goalscorer who can create eg generally a "number 10" etc.

I mean Van Basten was v prob a better classic number 9 than Luis, but nowhere near the complete player who creates, dribbles, goes deep AND scores etc.

I think Luis is better than Francescoli and Baggio and  Platini. He's more complete than Zidane and Bergkamp. Shevchenko was fantastic at his peak. I did think of Cruyff, but he was before my time. Maybe Cruyff was helped by the absolutely wonderful Dutch team he played in. And Cruyff may have needed to be stronger for today's game? So I think Luis would stand up pretty well against all this list.

Ronaldo looks like he's built like some sort of android - the perfectly footballing machine, which obviously helps his game. But I'm not sure if he has the pure artistry of Luis. So its a close call.

Messi doesn't have the atheticism of either Luis or CR. He does have this incredibly mastery of dribbling the ball, as did Ronaldinho, the Braz Ronaldo and Maradona.

I don't think I could say Luis is "better" than some of these. But he's surely in their class. Sometimes we've seen players on the same "wavelength" as Luis. Occasionally COutinho, occasionally Sahin or Gerrard. Sturridge's skill, pace and directness sometimes make Luis even harder to play against. So I think it would be really interesting to see what Luis would be like if he didn't need to go deep and look for the ball.

PS re the rock comments, there really is something superhuman about him. Touch wood, I'm struggling to think whether he's ever been injured for more than a couple of games. Add to that his gigantic workrate AND the fact he's playing in some tournament virtually every Summer, this is an absolute phenomenon in its own right. I mean there are plenty of stars that burned bright then faded away - Gullit, Ronaldo Mk1, Ronaldinho, Barnes, Fowler, Gascoigne, V Basten, Best etc etc. We're very fortunate.

I've read your list and one name that pops into my my mind is Theirry Henry. Now he was a genius and I rank Luis right up there with him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5029: Dec 06, 2013 01:28:14 am
      My top five foreign players in the prem would be :-

1 Suarez
      2 Ronaldo
      3 Bergkamp
      4 Henry
      5 Zola

I think Torres at his peak with Liverpool would be in there while Cantona and Van Nistelrooy I have dismissed just for being mancs. I would have liked to dismiss Ronaldo too but he is still one of the best players in the world :(

The other point is probably only Zola out of that list played with as weak a side as we unfortunately still are. No doubt I have forgotten some great players .... just old age, sorry.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #5030: Dec 06, 2013 04:14:08 am
      Alright, I've got a crazy idea. 

Everyone can see what a brilliant footballer Luis Suarez is.  That performance against Norwich says all that needs to be said.

But what is equally impressive is the less glamorous, less mentioned side of his game: his incredible work rate.  He presses.  He tracks back.  He is always working his arse off on the pitch, whether we're winning or losing, whether he has scored or not scored.  He's always 110%.

So what if... we made Suarez captain?

No, really.  I'm serious.  For being the legend that he is, Stevie isn't exactly the most vocal player.  He rarely gets on anyone, he's more of a "lead by example" type.  And yet, lately (okay, for a while now) he's not been leading by example.  Half the time he's out there he looks like he couldn't be arsed.  Contrast to Suarez, one of the most passionate players in the league, he is always on everyone to make a better pass, to play better, and with him leading the line, all the players behind him would see how hard he is working, see the passion he shows no matter how big or small the oppositoin, and it would be infectious and give them the kick up the arse they unfortunately all too often need.

I think it's worth a try.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5031: Dec 06, 2013 10:44:27 am
      I thought my opinion of you couldn't get worse or lower than it was but here we are.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,029 posts | 3960 
      Reply #5032: Dec 06, 2013 10:55:35 am

Everyone can see what a brilliant footballer Luis Suarez is.  That performance against Norwich says all that needs to be said.

But what is equally impressive is the less glamorous, less mentioned side of his game: his incredible work rate.  He presses.  He tracks back.  He is always working his arse off on the pitch, whether we're winning or losing, whether he has scored or not scored.  He's always 110%.

So what if... we made Suarez captain?

No, really.  I'm serious.  For being the legend that he is, Stevie isn't exactly the most vocal player.  He rarely gets on anyone, he's more of a "lead by example" type.  And yet, lately (okay, for a while now) he's not been leading by example.  Half the time he's out there he looks like he couldn't be arsed.  Contrast to Suarez, one of the most passionate players in the league, he is always on everyone to make a better pass, to play better, and with him leading the line, all the players behind him would see how hard he is working, see the passion he shows no matter how big or small the oppositoin, and it would be infectious and give them the kick up the arse they unfortunately all too often need.

I think it's worth a try.

What the F**k are you on??
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #5033: Dec 06, 2013 11:59:46 am
      Iirc Suarez captained Amsterdam and it ended with him biting an opponent (then moving to Liverpool) you know ? Not really the best way to guarantee he'll stay and keep calm (imo he is too passionate to lead a side precisely).

Out of that, your repeated digs at a Liverpool legend are boring federer (even if I agree Steven now tends to be invisible in some games, instead of always leading by example like 5-6 years ago, it would be devastating for both him and team ambiance to replace him - at least as long he's still able to play most games, which should be the case for 2-3 years).
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #5034: Dec 06, 2013 12:31:22 pm
      We dont need Suarez having to talk to officials more than strictly neccessary.

On other issues, we latins call a four goal performance POKER, and a 5 one Lottery
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #5035: Dec 06, 2013 01:01:12 pm

Stopped reading right here....as hair brained as your "normal" ideas are, I didn't think there'd be any way I could recover from reading your "crazy" one's.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,029 posts | 3960 
      Reply #5036: Dec 06, 2013 06:50:38 pm
      Reports from Spain say RM are considering placing a £45m bid for Luis. (are they having a F***ing laff)

Suarez states once again he is happy at Anfield and wants to help get the club into Europe.

Full story:-
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-suarez-6378994

Quick Reply