Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Kindle Books,Amazon.

Read 5103 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Kindle Books,Amazon.
      Jan 30, 2011 10:10:26 am
      Just wondering if anyone has a Kindle,I bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it.I have the Kindle app on my phone and enjoy having a read but it's not the same as the pad even though I can download books straight to my phone.Our nephew Steven has just come round with a stick and loaded 948 books to my laptop which I can drag and drop onto the pad and I suppose it will save me a few shilling,also not having to carry books when we go on holiday.There are lots of great books to purchase at a lesser cost plus if you wait for a month the books price is reduced if you are prepared to wait,also there are some great freebies.The kindle is also great for storytime with the kids or grandkids cause you can buy talking books (fall asleep and let the book tell the story) na just kidding!,and Amazon US have just announced Kindle has overtaken paperback sales in America for the first time,so will you purchase one or do you already have one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Re: Kindle Books,Amazon.
      Reply #1: Jan 30, 2011 10:12:09 am
      I've got it on  my phone but don't use it that often to be honest and I've thought about getting the pad but I really like having the actual book so not sure what to do.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2011 05:34:05 am
      Getting a kindle on my birthday. Cant wait, will make reading sooooo much easier.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2011 06:11:05 am
      They are so easy to use and a download takes just a few seconds.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2011 12:37:05 pm
      Whats the reading like on it? Like, how clear is it and stuff?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2011 12:40:11 pm
      Yeah, would love one of these, might treat myself for holidays  ;D
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2011 08:42:24 am
      Getting a kindle on my birthday. Cant wait, will make reading sooooo much easier.

Will it? How?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2011 08:47:37 am

Easier to carry around and have with ya more often i would assume he means.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2011 10:49:39 pm
      Easier to carry around and have with ya more often i would assume he means.

Yeah, basically that. Books are heavy, large, awkward to hold sometimes etc. From reviews I've read, this is lightweight, compact and easy to use.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #9: Feb 02, 2011 05:00:51 pm
      Reading is easy and you can adjust the font size,unlike a mobile the Kindle can be read in the brightest of sunlight and even takes away the use of sunglasses,not like a normal book when at times you have to wear a pair of bins.The storage capacity is also unbelievable,up to 350,000 books.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #10: Feb 02, 2011 06:18:49 pm
      This whole kindle thing sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I've never seen anyone with one and I can't imagine who the target market is for the life of me. Someone said it's because books are "heavy"?! Hmmm. The only people that find books heavy would be tiny children (who wouldn't need a kindle) or the elderly (who wouldn't know how to use one!). I only ever read on holiday or in the bath and the risk of getting it wet/dropped in sand means it's a no go. What if you're on a long journey and you lose power? That won't happen to a book! Out of interest, what storage do they have and how much does a book take up?
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2011 06:29:32 am
      Storage up to 350,000 books,no problem with sand and the power,well the wifes hasn't been charged since Christmas and she reads every night so on a long flight no chance of power loss.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2011 07:10:29 am
      This whole kindle thing sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I've never seen anyone with one and I can't imagine who the target market is for the life of me. Someone said it's because books are "heavy"?! Hmmm. The only people that find books heavy would be tiny children (who wouldn't need a kindle) or the elderly (who wouldn't know how to use one!). I only ever read on holiday or in the bath and the risk of getting it wet/dropped in sand means it's a no go. What if you're on a long journey and you lose power? That won't happen to a book! Out of interest, what storage do they have and how much does a book take up?

As el batez said, literally 10s of thousands of books in the thing, and its not that 1 book is heavy - its if you go travelling and wanna take 10 books with ya and don't have the room. I myself have not considered one yet due to preferring proper books still, but i see the advantage of a kindle at times. If they and the downloadable books get to a real decent price anytime soon i may consider one. Girlfriends step-mum has one and ive never seen her charge it since first getting it.

Don't knock people just because they prefer a different way of reading - i think its great that people still read a bunch, doesn't matter how they do it.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2011 02:17:25 pm
      Is it right that the ebooks are more expensive than the actual physical copy of the same book?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2011 02:19:06 pm
      No, they're not more expensive, they're cheaper, just not cheap enough yet in my opinion.
      At Amazon most are slightly cheaper than real books, though I've seen more expensive ones aswell. I don't get that. It's like they haven't learned from the downfall of the music industry. Downloadable books should be alot cheaper than real books. Makes me think that most of that money goes to Amazon instead of the writer.
      Prices better have dropped alot once e-books and e-readers have become more popular or piracy will get the best of them. Can get a 1000 books at once within a few minutes for free through torrent.

Just wondering if anyone has a Kindle,I bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it.I have the Kindle app on my phone and enjoy having a read but it's not the same as the pad even though I can download books straight to my phone.Our nephew Steven has just come round with a stick and loaded 948 books to my laptop which I can drag and drop onto the pad and I suppose it will save me a few shilling,also not having to carry books when we go on holiday.There are lots of great books to purchase at a lesser cost plus if you wait for a month the books price is reduced if you are prepared to wait,also there are some great freebies.The kindle is also great for storytime with the kids or grandkids cause you can buy talking books (fall asleep and let the book tell the story) na just kidding!,and Amazon US have just announced Kindle has overtaken paperback sales in America for the first time,so will you purchase one or do you already have one.
      Just something I wanted to point out. Had the idea that you implied that you can't download books straight to the Kindle? Because you can. You just need to connect to wireless internet or 3G. Can even read newspapers, magazines and blogs etc. that way aswell. Can also access Wikipedia.
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011 03:00:35 pm by Dexter »
      NorthernIrishRed
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2011 04:01:08 pm
      I have an Ipod, downloaded I books and just cant get into reading books on a device opposed to a book, maybe the kindle is better than an iPod but i thinks i could only get into a novel when actually physically holding a book. Not sure why.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2011 07:42:48 pm
      Save tree's! buy a Kindle! ;D.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2011 08:47:43 pm
      I have an Ipod, downloaded I books and just cant get into reading books on a device opposed to a book, maybe the kindle is better than an iPod but I thinks I could only get into a novel when actually physically holding a book. Not sure why.

Having read a book on my ipod, and one page on a Kindle, I can safely say the Kindle is a million times better to read on.  

But its books all the way for me.  I even had to buy the physical copy of the book I read on my ipod.  The Kindle may be easier to transport, cheaper in the long term and better for the environment but it doesn't beat the feel and smell of a fresh new book.  Opening that first shiny white page and reading the book until the pages are tinged with yellow - f**k the trees. ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Feb 08, 2011 08:22:58 pm
      Saw one for the first time yesterday.

If i read, i'd buy one. But i don't because i don't have the attention span to.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #19: Feb 09, 2011 01:12:36 am
      Saw one for the first time yesterday.

If I read, I'd buy one. But I don't because I don't have the attention span to.

Translated to: I never learnt how to read, im a bit of a dumb c**t.

;D

I still can't see myself getting one until the downloads are significantly cheaper than hard copies. Just got myself an order of history books today, and i really love getting new books. Gonna have to get a lot cheaper for me to consider not getting that feeling as much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 09, 2011 03:22:07 am
      Ain't my fault i ain't know da Inglish.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      Reply #21: Feb 09, 2011 03:12:23 pm
      I now own this. Got a couple thousand books on the laptop to put onto it from top authors so thats gooood. Its 3GB memory but the books take up so little space that you can cram in thousands. Can browse the tinternet from it which is good but not really interested in that as I got it for reading. Can put music on it to listen to while you read, might do that, not sure. Theres an option where if you press a button the kindle will read the book to you, but it depends on if the book has the option. Very very lightweight and very compact, making it an extremely handy piece of kit. LOVE IT. I recommend it to everyone.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #22: Feb 10, 2011 06:00:58 am
      There speaks someone who knows!

Quick Reply