Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Andy Carroll (Newcastle)

Read 47752 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Andy Carroll (Newcastle)
      Jan 31, 2011 11:55:21 am
      Strong indications that Newcastle have rejected a £30M bid from Liverpool.

Pardew has put back his press conference from 2pm to 3.30pm.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Re: Andy Carroll (Newcastle)
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2011 11:56:46 am
      He's injured though with a thigh strain.After Aquilani we should stay clear.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2011 11:57:21 am
      Seems like a strong player in the air like what we used to have in Heskey and Crouch. Suarez could benefit alot from his presence but still think 30 million is too much and we hardly have decent crossers in the team.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2011 12:02:31 pm
      I know we could be getting a bit desperate right now with the Torres situation and all that but, I think £30 million for Carroll is too high tbh, plus he is currently injured. But given what has happened and the transfer deadline closing in fast, I guess that's what the market dictates. Still,l I'm personally not convinced by Carroll but, KK knows his stuff, so have to trust him if he thinks it would be a good deal for the club.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2011 12:12:17 pm
      20 whatever million for Suarez, who has been banging goals in all over the place and at the world cup, but Carrol based on a good half a season in the EPL is worth 7 million more!!!  Bloody mental!
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2011 12:21:42 pm
      More than Villa cost Barca. Worlds gone mad, why does being British put an extra £15 million on top of a players fee?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2011 12:23:16 pm
      More than Villa cost Barca. Worlds gone mad, why does being British put an extra £15 million on top of a players fee?
      from bbc?
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2011 12:24:14 pm

Straight off the beeb with that.

Im not sure 30m is a good deal for us. Hes not THAT good, hes just really tall :D

Would rather take Crouch back tbh.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2011 12:28:40 pm
      Yep, totaly agree with it though. added my own bit at the end though.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2011 12:32:28 pm
      How the F**k is Andy Carroll worth £30m?! He was a Championship player a year ago ffs, what a pathetic fee. We could get 3 decent £10m players for that, F**k Andy Carroll he's nothing special.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2011 12:34:54 pm
      Exactly, he's had a good start to the season but he's not proven at the top level yet in my opinion. The Premiership has players who flourish and then you never hear of them again. Michael Ricketts at Bolton springs to mind.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2011 12:35:15 pm
      Reckon Carroll would thrive under Dalglish.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2011 12:36:09 pm
      Would also be disappointed if we signed him, pretty wasteful amount of money really, even though there aren't many better English strikers available, around the 30 million for a player with barely any premier league goals seems absurd to me, not to mention he has an "eventful" personal life.

"Carroll has been involved in many off-the-pitch incidents in his career. On 14 September 2008, Carroll was arrested by police in Newcastle responding to a report that a woman had been assaulted, and later accepted a police caution for assault. On 7 December 2009, he was arrested in the aftermath of a nightclub fight, again in Newcastle, accused of smashing glass in a man's face. He was charged with assault and in October 2010 he pleaded guilty to common assault and was fined £1,000. He was also ordered to pay £2,500 compensation. He was also involved in an incident on the training ground which allegedly left teammate Steven Taylor with a broken jaw though no charges were filed according to police. Carroll reportedly suffered a broken hand in the incident, and he was shortly photographed in a pop concert with bandages to both hands. Then-Newcastle manager Chris Hughton and club representatives declined to comment any further on the incident. On 18 October 2010, Carroll was charged with assaulting a former girlfriend. Claiming self-defence, and having given a local hotel as his address, Carroll was granted bail on the condition that he resides with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan until the case resumes in January. The charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence.Two days following his bail, Carroll's car was set on fire whilst parked on Nolan's driveway, with the club captain's garage door also being daubed with obscenities.
      Carroll and his ex-girlfriend have a daughter, born 15 September 2009.
      Whilst on international duty, Carroll, Scott Sinclair and Ryan Bertrand were sent home from the England U-19s squad after breaking a curfew on 14 October 2007 during preparation for a match against Romania U-19s. Carroll was also involved in a training ground fight with teammate Charles N'Zogbia over a late tackle from the Frenchman, but then-Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear decided not to punish the two."

Not sure I'm comfortable with the repetition of the phrase, Carroll was arrested being repeated over and over.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2011 12:44:19 pm
      Would love to see Carroll here to be honest. A very good striker with the potential to become a true great. A proper British centre forward with guts and fight to spare.

Not for £30 million though.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2011 12:48:30 pm
      If Torres was to go then Carroll would IMO be a great signing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2011 12:48:31 pm
       Against the grain a bit but IMHO Carroll would be a great signing, even for the amount of money being bandied about. He's only young, is going to be Englands forst choice striker for years to come, and is rapidly improiving. He gives you an out ball all day long, works his nuts off and is good defending set-pieces as well. He would in my opinion anyway completely transform us as a unit.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2011 12:52:02 pm
      A proper British centre forward with guts and fight to spare.

Definitely has a lot of fight ;), we'll probably be seeing it tested out with Carragher at Melwood.

Could form a good partnership with Suarez in the same fashion as he did with Cavani, but can't say I'd feel comfortable spending 30 million on him, think he's been overhyped along with the likes of Joe Hart by the English media although he is undoubtedly a talented player.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2011 12:52:49 pm
      There's a name I'd love to see here, Cavani.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #18: Jan 31, 2011 12:54:20 pm
      Absolute joke. Edin Dzeko? £27 million? David Villa, 30-odd million. Those players are worth those fees. Andy bloody Carroll? No more than £20, and even that's getting a massive boost just because the lad is English.

It's almost as if being a 'home grown' player who fits into that category for the 25-man squad adds on £10-15 million. Bent going for 24 really fu**ed this one up because I suppose Newcastle are saying if Bent's worth that much, our lad is younger and may well be a better player so give us 30m!

I like Carroll and think he's going to be a good player and a future England starter but I wouldn't pay £30 million for him at this point because there's always the chance he won't live up to his potential.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #19: Jan 31, 2011 12:55:02 pm
      If this lad was anywhere else he wouldn't be worth that much, I tend to agree he'd thrive under Dalglish but we need our money spent more wisely and thrifty than that.

Good intent shown by NESV though.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 31, 2011 12:55:56 pm
      Face facts, we can't afford to have a front 2, and none of them have Premier League experience, who else in the Premier League would you realistically like to see us sign?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #21: Jan 31, 2011 12:56:17 pm
      Would love to see Carroll here to be honest. A very good striker with the potential to become a true great. A proper British centre forward with guts and fight to spare.

I agree with this, for £20m I would give him a go though but havent Spurs already put a £25m in.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #22: Jan 31, 2011 12:59:55 pm
      Good intent shown by NESV though.

True, and Kenny did say in his latest press conference something along the lines that NESV would be disappointed if we didn't finalise a deal for someone before the windows over, we do seem to be pushing for a couple of players, just think you've got to be careful getting in the top English talent, you have to be patient and try and get sensible deals rather than jumping in like Man city would do and having to be extortionate amounts for overhyped players.

Quick Reply