Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Football around the world

Read 166398 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #483: Apr 19, 2013 10:59:43 am
      It's named after a beer company that is based in the Central Coast area. They're a massive vineyard and brewery region in Australia.
      Bier
      Reply #484: Apr 19, 2013 03:22:03 pm
      Go to a Wanderers game and tell me how it goes. My comparison was solely based on match days.

So you've been to a German game then?

I've been to Dortmund-Ajax earlier this season, and that atmosphere is something else.

Borussia Dortmund vs Ajax Amsterdam Part 1-2 BVB UEFA Champions League
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #485: Apr 19, 2013 04:16:48 pm
      Ok.

Sorry for using a comparison. Won't happen again.
      Bier
      Reply #486: May 05, 2013 08:55:20 pm
      Ajax won their 32nd league title today, 3rd in a row. Great job by Frank de Boer en the rest of their staff.

It was especially nice to see that Rob de Wit awarded them their trophy.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013 09:10:16 pm by Bier »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #487: May 05, 2013 09:03:54 pm
      Well done Ajax. Always liked them as a club.

Do you have a team in your home league Bier?
      Bier
      Reply #488: May 05, 2013 09:26:10 pm
      Well done Ajax. Always liked them as a club.

Do you have a team in your home league Bier?

Not really, but I have alot of respect for Ajax, more so than for other Dutch clubs. For their history and football culture, all the players they have produced. For a decade or so things were a mess there, but since Frank de Boer took the manager job and Cruijff restructured the club things are alot better. And I like how theyre getting all these former players involved in the club, both De Boer brothers, Bergkamp, Overmars, van der Sar, Jaap Stam, John Bosman. I think that's important for a club to protect it's culture.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #489: May 05, 2013 09:30:59 pm
      Not really, but I have alot of respect for Ajax, more so than for other Dutch clubs. For their history and football culture, all the players they have produced. For a decade or so things were a mess there, but since Frank de Boer took the manager job and Cruijff restructured the club things are alot better. And I like how theyre getting all these former players involved in the club, both De Boer brothers, Bergkamp, Overmars, van der Sar, Jaap Stam, John Bosman. I think that's important for a club to protect it's culture.

Agree and something I'd like to see even more here.

I know we have former players in and around the club doing bits and pieces but I'd like to see much more of it.
      Bier
      Reply #490: May 05, 2013 10:04:37 pm
      Agree and something I'd like to see even more here.

I know we have former players in and around the club doing bits and pieces but I'd like to see much more of it.

Yeah, exactly. Ajax have them all in decisive positions. Marketing Director, Sporting Director, Manager, Assistant Manager, Heads of Youth and Scouting, Members of their Board etc. Bayern Munich kind of do the same with Hoeness, Rummenigge, Gerd MĂŒller, Scholl and Breitner.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2013 10:24:23 pm by Bier »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #491: May 05, 2013 10:07:30 pm
      True.

Our former players seem to be on the periphery almost doing odd jobs while Ajax and Bayern have them in key roles as you say.

Something we should definitely learn from.
      Bier
      Reply #492: May 05, 2013 10:15:31 pm
      True.

Our former players seem to be on the periphery almost doing odd jobs while Ajax and Bayern have them in key roles as you say.

Something we should definitely learn from.

Yeah, problem is we have owners. Bayern and Ajax don't have that conflict of interest. The owners' interests don't always directly align with the club's best interests. Former players are loyal to the club, not to owners. And most club owners probably know that, so are hesitant to hire many of them in high positions.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8619 
      Reply #493: May 06, 2013 06:18:19 pm
      FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer provisionally banned

The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee, Hans-Joachim Eckert, has decided to provisionally ban FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level for a maximum period of 90 days. The decision was taken following a request made by the acting deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee, Robert Torres, based on the fact that various breaches of the FIFA Code of Ethics appear to have been committed by Chuck Blazer and that a decision on the main issue could not be taken early enough.

The investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee previously opened investigation proceedings against Chuck Blazer in response to the final report of the CONCACAF Integrity Committee (cf. www.concacafintegrityreport.com). The CONCACAF General Secretary, Enrique Sanz, asked FIFA to assume jurisdiction in “view of the serious alleged misconduct” and the implications for FIFA.

The chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee, Michael J. Garcia, declined to participate in this investigation due to the fact that he holds the same nationality as Chuck Blazer (cf. art. 35 par. 2 c) of the FIFA Code of Ethics).

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/news/newsid=2074803/?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_media_statements
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #494: May 06, 2013 09:13:33 pm
      If anyone is interested in MLS, the MLS Players Union always releases the yearly salaries: www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

PDF for this season: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%201,%202013%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

The disparity between some players is huge. A lot of players are guaranteed $46k per year, while the bigger players earn an excess of $150k per year.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #495: May 06, 2013 11:24:34 pm
      If anyone is interested in MLS, the MLS Players Union always releases the yearly salaries: www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

PDF for this season: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%201,%202013%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

The disparity between some players is huge. A lot of players are guaranteed $46k per year, while the bigger players earn an excess of $150k per year.

Thanks for posting this, I am fan of MLS and was curious on what players are being paid.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #496: May 07, 2013 01:54:24 pm
      FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer provisionally banned

The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee, Hans-Joachim Eckert, has decided to provisionally ban FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level for a maximum period of 90 days. The decision was taken following a request made by the acting deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee, Robert Torres, based on the fact that various breaches of the FIFA Code of Ethics appear to have been committed by Chuck Blazer and that a decision on the main issue could not be taken early enough.

The investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee previously opened investigation proceedings against Chuck Blazer in response to the final report of the CONCACAF Integrity Committee (cf. www.concacafintegrityreport.com). The CONCACAF General Secretary, Enrique Sanz, asked FIFA to assume jurisdiction in “view of the serious alleged misconduct” and the implications for FIFA.

The chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee, Michael J. Garcia, declined to participate in this investigation due to the fact that he holds the same nationality as Chuck Blazer (cf. art. 35 par. 2 c) of the FIFA Code of Ethics).

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/news/newsid=2074803/?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_media_statements

Chuck Blazer: CONCACAF at its finest! :laugh:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #497: May 07, 2013 04:38:16 pm
      MLS is a god awful league to watch. Watched about 5 or 6 games to give it a chance and it was horribly boring.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #498: May 10, 2013 10:06:44 pm
      MLS is a god awful league to watch. Watched about 5 or 6 games to give it a chance and it was horribly boring.

At times mate.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #499: May 11, 2013 12:36:18 pm

Something FSG could take heed from. I think a few friendly faces making connection with the supporters and players could do the club a world of good.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #500: May 16, 2013 03:03:52 am
      Some people here will be happy to know that Maxi Rodriguez is doing extremely well for his new club, Newell's Old Boys. Tonight they beat one of the favorites for the Libertadores title, Velez, by 2-1 away from home, and secured a place in the quarter finals of the competition. It was a really good game. 

I'm a big fan of Newell's manager Gerardo Martino, former Paraguay coach. A true Bielsista.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #501: May 16, 2013 10:56:47 pm
      That's good to hear Diego, always had a lot of time for Maxi.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #502: May 21, 2013 04:46:49 pm
      Major League Soccer Announces New York Expansion Team: New York City Football Club
      NEW YORK – And just like that, "NY2" is a reality.

After three years of development and planning for a second team in New York, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced on Tuesday that English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City FC and Major League Baseball's legendary New York Yankees have teamed up to bring it to fruition and acquire MLS's 20th expansion club.

The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and is expected to begin play in 2015.

“We proudly welcome two of the most prestigious professional global sports organizations to Major League Soccer,” Garber said in a statement released by the league. “This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country. The New York area is home to more than 19 million people, and we look forward to an intense crosstown rivalry between New York City Football Club and the New York Red Bulls that will captivate this great city.”

“New York is a legendary sports town, as well as a thriving global city with a rapidly expanding soccer fan-base,” said Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City. “We are thrilled to contribute to the energy and growth of New York City Soccer. In the Yankees, we have found the absolute best partner for developing a world-class sports organization and a winning team that will carry the New York City Football Club name with pride.”

Manchester City will be the majority owner, according to the league's announcement, while the Yankees will play an active role in the ownership group, with Yankees President Randy Levine playing point for the ballclub.

The Yankees and Manchester City already have an existing commercial relationship through Legends Hospitality, an international entertainment, hospitality and marketing organization, and Man City will play a friendly against fellow EPL giants Chelsea FC at Yankee Stadium this coming Saturday.

“We are pleased to be associated with this major move by MLS to increase its presence in the New York market and to enhance the opportunity for New York soccer fans to enjoy high-level play in their own city," said Hal Steinbrenner, managing general partner of the New York Yankees. "We look forward to the opportunity to work with Manchester City to create something very special for the soccer fans of New York -- and to bringing another terrific team to this city for all sports fans to enjoy."

READ: The official MLS press release

In order to begin play in 2015, NYCFC will arrange for an interim venue but will also seek a permanent home in New York. The club says it will continue the discussions already under way with the City of New York, local residents, community and business leaders, and soccer leagues about a possible new stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park (FMCP) in Queens, while also continuing to look at other potential sites.

“New York City FC will have a permanent home in the City in the great traditions of New York sports and world soccer -- a home that must be a sports, commercial and civic success,” Soriano said. “But in considering any stadium site, we will listen first. This is what we have always done in Manchester and what we will do in New York. Only in this way, can the Club truly represent the City whose name it will carry.”

Manchester City has had connections to New York for years now. Its "City Soccer in the Community," a grassroots youth soccer program, has been up and running in New York since 2010 and is headquartered at PS 72 (Lexington Academy) in East Harlem, which now boasts a rooftop field funded by Manchester City. City Soccer in the Community "provides quality soccer instruction and programming to thousands of children in 20 NYC public schools each year," according to the club, who are expected to expand the program's reach throughout the five boroughs.

Through various community programs, Manchester City has funded the construction of soccer facilities for youth in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, as well as around the world.

But it's on the field in New York where NYCFC will have its biggest impact. The arrival of another club in the Big Apple establishes MLS's second local derby -- after the Los Angeles SuperClasico between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA -- and given that this is New York, the rivalry between NYCFC and the Red Bulls is expected to be a heated one.

“Soccer is one of the world’s most exciting and popular sports, and it should be played on the world’s biggest stage -- in New York City,” New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said in a statement. “New Yorkers are the greatest sports fans in the world, and they will welcome a Major League Soccer franchise with the full-throated and loyal support they are famous for.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/21/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football

No. 20 in MLS. A second "New York" team, albeit this one will actually be in NYC. Co-owned by Man City and the Yankees.

It's interesting, but personally, I'd have rather seen MLS expand to other parts of the US/Canada. Suck for the newly-relaunched NY Cosmos, as they always thought they'd be the 20th team in MLS.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #503: May 31, 2013 03:55:07 am
      Crazy game tonight for the 2nd leg of the Libertadores QF between Tijuana and Atlético Mineiro. First leg in Mexico ended 2-2. Tonight's game was 1-1 when a penalty was given to Tijuana in the 92th minute. Reascos missed it, Atletico's gk Victor saved it with his foot. Really insane game, very good to watch, so tense!

Oh and by the way, Maxi's Newells beat Boca last night and have also secured a place in the Libertadores semifinals. They're my favorites for the trophy though Atletico at the moment is playing like the best team of the tournament.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #504: May 31, 2013 07:33:32 am
      Crazy game tonight for the 2nd leg of the Libertadores QF between Tijuana and Atlético Mineiro. First leg in Mexico ended 2-2. Tonight's game was 1-1 when a penalty was given to Tijuana in the 92th minute. Reascos missed it, Atletico's gk Victor saved it with his foot. Really insane game, very good to watch, so tense!

Oh and by the way, Maxi's Newells beat Boca last night and have also secured a place in the Libertadores semifinals. They're my favorites for the trophy though Atletico at the moment is playing like the best team of the tournament.

Diego, just the man we need. Able to shed any light on what happened with the Brazil v England game, due to be held at the Maracana this weekend? How is it being reported back in Brazil? Just interested to know more, what with the Confederations Cup coming up shortly and the World Cup in less than a year.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #505: May 31, 2013 03:56:34 pm
      Diego, just the man we need. Able to shed any light on what happened with the Brazil v England game, due to be held at the Maracana this weekend? How is it being reported back in Brazil? Just interested to know more, what with the Confederations Cup coming up shortly and the World Cup in less than a year.

I'm pretty sure the game will happen mate, I got tickets for the game but never really worried about that. Apparently the CBF already had the documents stating the safety of the stadium but hadn't submitted them in time (or something like that, I'm not a law expert :D). Some say it was just a judge trying to have her minutes of fame. I know some people have fears about the World Cup here but I think it will be a great competition and things will work just fine. My fear is a different one: the price we'll have to pay for that. Corruption is still a huge problem in Brazil and the amount of public money being wasted is scary - many stadiums will end up costing much more than they should, and I'm afraid the legacy won't be so great. Some of the cities chosen to host the competition are not really football cities (more like political choices) and hardly have enough demand to fill in the big stadiums being built - some don't even have teams anywhere near the 1st division, for instance. So I don't really think foreigners have much to worry, I honestly believe it will be a great competition, the burden will be on us Brazilian taxpayers though.

Quick Reply