Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Football around the world

Read 166942 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #506: May 31, 2013 04:40:53 pm
      I'm pretty sure the game will happen mate, I got tickets for the game but never really worried about that. Apparently the CBF already had the documents stating the safety of the stadium but hadn't submitted them in time (or something like that, I'm not a law expert :D). Some say it was just a judge trying to have her minutes of fame. I know some people have fears about the World Cup here but I think it will be a great competition and things will work just fine. My fear is a different one: the price we'll have to pay for that. Corruption is still a huge problem in Brazil and the amount of public money being wasted is scary - many stadiums will end up costing much more than they should, and I'm afraid the legacy won't be so great. Some of the cities chosen to host the competition are not really football cities (more like political choices) and hardly have enough demand to fill in the big stadiums being built - some don't even have teams anywhere near the 1st division, for instance. So I don't really think foreigners have much to worry, I honestly believe it will be a great competition, the burden will be on us Brazilian taxpayers though.

Thanks mate, some interesting points. I suppose the same fears existed before South Africa and that didn't turn out bad at all.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #507: Jun 03, 2013 06:33:13 pm

Uruguays hope to organizing the 2030 WC were trashed by FIFA yesterday, since they wont be allowing joint organizers.
      We had to do it with the ARgies, since we dont have the infraestructure to do it all by ourselves (we only have 2 WC level stadiums)

It would have meant something to play the Final in the same stadium where it all begun (built in 6 months, and still standing strong like it was day 1. Man, those lads coud build to last!)! But FIFA is all about money, and romantic countries like us are a diying breed. Better give it to some of those rich oil countries

Did you know that the field is actually below the street level. It was made that way to build it faster, they just made a big hole, and built it inside it!.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #508: Jun 03, 2013 06:58:53 pm
      (built in 6 months, and still standing strong like it was day 1. Man, those lads coud build to last!)

These guys could teach a lesson to the builders of the EngenhĆ£o here in Rio de Janeiro. Built with public money for the Pan American games of 2007, it was closed this year without a deadline to re-open cause the roof is supposedly in danger of falling. Truly pathetic use of taxpayer's money. You have to wonder how many millions more will now be used to repair it!

But FIFA is all about money, and romantic countries like us are a diying breed. Better give it to some of those rich oil countries

Yeah...  they also pretend to be sensitive about racism and then give it to one of the worst countries in terms of racism in football (Russia).
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #509: Jun 03, 2013 07:25:00 pm
      These guys could teach a lesson to the builders of the EngenhĆ£o here in Rio de Janeiro. Built with public money for the Pan American games of 2007, it was closed this year without a deadline to re-open cause the roof is supposedly in danger of falling. Truly pathetic use of taxpayer's money. You have to wonder how many millions more will now be used to repair it!

Yeah...  they also pretend to be sensitive about racism and then give it to one of the worst countries in terms of racism in football (Russia).

I had heard about that! Major sports events are a great way for politicians to get richer. That why everyone wants to be in FIFA: countries pay huge sums to corrupt memebrs for their vote to host the WC.

The centenario is built in solid concrete, and hardly has any cracks in it after 83 years. Built in 6 months, day and night, with bonfires lit to accelerate the concretes hardening. Nowadays, in my country, i dont think they could build a phone booth in 6 months!

It was a matter of national pride, and many workers did it for free. Nowadays politicians would build a 60 million dollar stadium for 40 and keep the change, Then it would have to be demolished in 5 years due to "structural damage" and "poor materials".

On other matters, you will finish everything on schedule, and ill be once again visiting your country to watch football (even if Uruguay dont qualify ill be there!). Last time i was there PeƱarol lost the Libertadores CupFinal  to Santos :(

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #510: Jun 05, 2013 06:38:03 pm

My team PeƱarol won the 2012/2013 Uruguayan Championship, a record 49th time. COngrats to players, manager, directives and fans around the world.

Im happy beyond belief, and looking forward to number 50!!!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #511: Jun 12, 2013 12:05:19 pm
      A big well done to Masch for one of the best sendings off of all time !
      Javier Mascherano Kicks Medic While Being Stretchered - Ecuador vs Argentina
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #512: Jun 12, 2013 10:35:06 pm
      Watched that! The guy in the cart was driving it like it was F1. Masch lost it, and kicked him....twice
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #513: Jun 19, 2013 09:17:41 pm
      Nice to see Maxi Rodriguez winning the Argentine title tonight:

South American Football - Lanus defeat hands Newell's Old Boys Argentine title

Newell's Old Boys won Argentina's "Final" championship without kicking a ball and with a match to spare in a bizarre denouement to the championship on Wednesday.

Lanus, Newell's only challengers, had 45 minutes in which to overturn a two-goal deficit against Estudiantes in the remaining 45 minutes of a match abandoned 10 days ago when a fan was killed in clashes with police.

Estudiantes, who had scored twice in the last nine minutes of the first half at the Estadio Unico in La Plata before the match was abandoned, hung on for a 2-0 victory.

Lanus had midfielder Guido Pizarro sent off in the final minute.

Going into this weekend's final round of matches, Newell's have 38 points, Lanus and River Plate 32 each.

Coach Gerardo Martino, who steered Paraguay to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2011 Copa America final, engineered Newell's sixth title victory.

A key to the team's success was the signing of Argentine 2006 and 2010 World Cup players Gabriel Heinze in defence and Maxi Rodriguez in midfield.

The result sparked celebrations in Rosario, where Newell's are based, and Resistencia, where they had a last-16 match in the Copa Argentina knockout competition later on Wednesday.

Newell's will meet favourites Atletico Mineiro of Brazil in the South American Libertadores Cup semi-finals in July.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-lanus-defeat-hands-newells-old-boys-argentine-182236707.html

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      Reply #514: Jun 21, 2013 10:38:16 am
      World under-20's starts in Turkey today, good luck to Flanno, Suso and captain Coady !
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #515: Jun 21, 2013 07:18:05 pm
      Nice to see Maxi Rodriguez winning the Argentine title tonight:

South American Football - Lanus defeat hands Newell's Old Boys Argentine title

Newell's Old Boys won Argentina's "Final" championship without kicking a ball and with a match to spare in a bizarre denouement to the championship on Wednesday.

Lanus, Newell's only challengers, had 45 minutes in which to overturn a two-goal deficit against Estudiantes in the remaining 45 minutes of a match abandoned 10 days ago when a fan was killed in clashes with police.

Estudiantes, who had scored twice in the last nine minutes of the first half at the Estadio Unico in La Plata before the match was abandoned, hung on for a 2-0 victory.

Lanus had midfielder Guido Pizarro sent off in the final minute.

Going into this weekend's final round of matches, Newell's have 38 points, Lanus and River Plate 32 each.

Coach Gerardo Martino, who steered Paraguay to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2011 Copa America final, engineered Newell's sixth title victory.

A key to the team's success was the signing of Argentine 2006 and 2010 World Cup players Gabriel Heinze in defence and Maxi Rodriguez in midfield.

The result sparked celebrations in Rosario, where Newell's are based, and Resistencia, where they had a last-16 match in the Copa Argentina knockout competition later on Wednesday.

Newell's will meet favourites Atletico Mineiro of Brazil in the South American Libertadores Cup semi-finals in July.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-lanus-defeat-hands-newells-old-boys-argentine-182236707.html

Hope they'll win the Libertadores too! They're a nice team to watch, I'm a big fan of their manager.
      Bier
      Reply #516: Jun 24, 2013 05:36:26 pm
      Some changes in Dutch football. The youth/reserve teams of Ajax, PSV and Twente will be playing in the Dutch 2nd division starting next season. Which makes 2nd division football alot more exciting for me, as I rarely watch it usually, I'm actually interested in watching some of it now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #517: Jun 24, 2013 05:48:04 pm
      Some changes in Dutch football. The youth/reserve teams of Ajax, PSV and Twente will be playing in the Dutch 2nd division starting next season. Which makes 2nd division football alot more exciting for me, as I rarely watch it usually, I'm actually interested in watching some of it now.

How do you think this will impact upon the development of youth for the Netherlands? Seems it can only be a good thing to me. Always liked the idea of our reserve teams playing in the lower leagues for the sake of the Academy and the national game because clearly the FA in England are not in any fit or competent state to manage the game.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #518: Jun 24, 2013 06:10:30 pm
      Will they be able to move into the first division or will it be like the Spanish league were I don't think that's allowed
      Bier
      Reply #519: Jun 24, 2013 09:44:27 pm
      How do you think this will impact upon the development of youth for the Netherlands? Seems it can only be a good thing to me. Always liked the idea of our reserve teams playing in the lower leagues for the sake of the Academy and the national game because clearly the FA in England are not in any fit or competent state to manage the game.

I think it'll be a very good thing. Many clubs already cooperate with a 2nd division club to loan out some of their youth and stuff. This way they have more control over the development of their players and they can maintain a bigger youth/reserve squad. Already see that now, as Ajax are signing talented youth to fill up that squad, even 2 strikers just today. And the 2nd division is a more mature and physical league than the current youth/reserve league, I think it'll make Dutch youth players tougher and work harder, the technical and tactical base is already there.

Will they be able to move into the first division or will it be like the Spanish league were I don't think that's allowed

No, they'll stay in 2nd division. Those clubs are mostly only in it to improve their academy. And financially it could also turn out to be interesting I guess. It's very good for the 2nd division, because Ajax especially draws alot of attention. It'll mean more people going to the stadiums, and more people watching it on tv.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #520: Jun 24, 2013 10:14:43 pm
      I am completely against bigger clubs have their second string teams in the same footballing leagues, even if its the division below. I know Rafa and Mourinho campaigned at one point or another to get it introduced in England. Still, I don't like the thought. It damages the chances of smaller clubs and in my view, the national game as a whole. Creates a further monopolisation by the bigger clubs.
      Bier
      Reply #521: Jun 24, 2013 11:22:04 pm
      I am completely against bigger clubs have their second string teams in the same footballing leagues, even if its the division below. I know Rafa and Mourinho campaigned at one point or another to get it introduced in England. Still, I don't like the thought. It damages the chances of smaller clubs and in my view, the national game as a whole. Creates a further monopolisation by the bigger clubs.

From a club perspective I can understand where you're coming from. But that doesn't apply to Dutch football. Our 2nd division is struggling financially, and the admittance of Ajax, PSV and Twente has literally guaranteed those other 2nd division clubs more money, which is why all of them agreed to it, it wasn't forced on them. Also, there's no doubt that it's better for our youth development, and our national team. So I don't see how it damages the national game as a whole.

And ideally speaking, like in Spain and Germany, all clubs do this, not just the bigger clubs. All reserve/youth teams are part of the real league system there, not just from big clubs. So it doesn't create a further anything, it gives all clubs the chance to improve their youth.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2013 11:32:46 pm by Bier »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      Reply #522: Jun 25, 2013 10:06:15 am
      Dave Farrar on eurosport is so far up french football's backside so it was pretty funny when the USA equalised, Pogba behaved like a big time charlie and stunk the place out big style, Spain were very lucky, never see Suso give the ball away so much.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #523: Jun 25, 2013 01:15:04 pm
      From a club perspective I can understand where you're coming from. But that doesn't apply to Dutch football. Our 2nd division is struggling financially, and the admittance of Ajax, PSV and Twente has literally guaranteed those other 2nd division clubs more money, which is why all of them agreed to it, it wasn't forced on them. Also, there's no doubt that it's better for our youth development, and our national team. So I don't see how it damages the national game as a whole.

And ideally speaking, like in Spain and Germany, all clubs do this, not just the bigger clubs. All reserve/youth teams are part of the real league system there, not just from big clubs. So it doesn't create a further anything, it gives all clubs the chance to improve their youth.

Not aware of the ins and outs of Dutch football but if what you say about it helping the second division is accurate, then fair enough. I just can't help think it will make the big clubs stronger whilst the so-called smaller clubs stagnate.
      Bier
      Reply #524: Jun 25, 2013 02:33:46 pm
      Not aware of the ins and outs of Dutch football but if what you say about it helping the second division is accurate, then fair enough. I just can't help think it will make the big clubs stronger whilst the so-called smaller clubs stagnate.

We're just a small country, we're not comparable to the English, Spanish or German league system. We ony have 2 professional leagues, and even then the 2nd division is struggling. Ideally speaking things would be different maybe, but just this season alone 2 2nd division clubs went bankrupt. The admittance of Ajax, PSV and Twente is part of a better TV deal for the 2nd division, so they'll all benefit from it. Many 1st division teams are already cooperating with 2nd division teams and sharing their youth academy with 2nd division teams. Feyenoord shares their academy with Excelsior for instance. It's one of the reasons why their academy is so succesful at the moment, quite a few of their current players played in the 1st team of Excelsior before playing for Feyenoord's 1st team.

But in the case of English football it could and should be similar to the Spanish and German system, where all clubs are allowed to have their reserve teams in the system, so all clubs would benefit.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2013 02:44:39 pm by Bier »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #525: Jun 25, 2013 03:11:09 pm
      We're just a small country, we're not comparable to the English, Spanish or German league system. We ony have 2 professional leagues, and even then the 2nd division is struggling. Ideally speaking things would be different maybe, but just this season alone 2 2nd division clubs went bankrupt. The admittance of Ajax, PSV and Twente is part of a better TV deal for the 2nd division, so they'll all benefit from it. Many 1st division teams are already cooperating with 2nd division teams and sharing their youth academy with 2nd division teams. Feyenoord shares their academy with Excelsior for instance. It's one of the reasons why their academy is so succesful at the moment, quite a few of their current players played in the 1st team of Excelsior before playing for Feyenoord's 1st team.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Call me cynical but doesn't that give the likes of Feynoord the the chance to cherry pick the best players from Excelsior?

But in the case of English football it could and should be similar to the Spanish and German system, where all clubs are allowed to have their reserve teams in the system, so all clubs would benefit.

Can't say I agree with that at all. English football exists due to its tradition. It doesn't need, nor do I think it would work, for other bigger clubs to have reserve teams in the football league.
      Bier
      Reply #526: Jun 25, 2013 03:36:15 pm
      That's interesting, I didn't know that. Call me cynical but doesn't that give the likes of Feynoord the the chance to cherry pick the best players from Excelsior?

To an extend yes, but at the same time, not for free. More importantly though, without that cooperation Excelsior would've likely gone bankrupt.

Can't say I agree with that at all. English football exists due to its tradition. It doesn't need, nor do I think it would work, for other bigger clubs to have reserve teams in the football league.

Tradition should never be an excuse to not be innovative. That's a real problem in football in general, and English football especially. Also the main reason why English youth development sucks, and why the national team consistently underperforms. Not that I mind. Although I think it would be good for Liverpool too.

Also, like I said, it wouldn't be just the bigger clubs, most clubs would have their reserve teams in the football league and conference. I can't see how you would say it wouldn't work, when it clearly does in other countries. One thing English football is lacking in is English youth development, and there's no doubt that would improve greatly. With that in mind, I can't see how you can think that English football doesn't need this. I'd be furious with the current state of English football if I was English, there's so many changes the FA should be making.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2013 04:04:50 pm by Bier »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #527: Jun 25, 2013 04:05:09 pm
      To an extend yes, but at the same time, not for free. More importantly though, without that cooperation Excelsior would've likely gone bankrupt.

Tradition should never be an excuse to not be innovative. That's a real problem in football in general, and English football especially. Also the main reason why English youth development sucks, and why the national team consistently underperforms. Not that I mind.

Also, like I said, it wouldn't be just the bigger clubs, most clubs would have their reserve teams in the football league and conference. I can't see how you would say it wouldn't work, when it clearly does in other countries. One thing English football is lacking in is English youth development, and there's no doubt that would improve greatly. With that in mind, I can't see how you can think that English football doesn't need this. I'd be furious with the current state of English football if I was English, there's so many changes the FA should be making.

Whilst English football seriously needs to reinvent their youth structure, there is bound to be a better way to do so. I am afraid I will never agree that it should be allowed. As for 'tradition', the game as a whole needs it. I don't agree at all that the English game puts too much emphasis on it.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #528: Jun 25, 2013 08:32:06 pm
      Quintero looks like a superstar in the making for Columbia. Been pulling the strings all game for the U20s. Scored a cracking goal and could have had more.

Quick Reply