Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Liverpool-United XI

Read 6974 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Liverpool-United XI
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2011 08:11:23 pm
      Actually I saw a video of Terry Mc. He was class.

Who was better?

Molby or Alonso? I know people will laugh but how would Molby compare in the modern game. He wasnt the fittest?
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2011 08:16:19 pm
      Alonso was hardly the fittest either. The lads used to joke how he was the slowest member of the squad
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2011 08:20:10 pm
      Alonso was hardly the fittest either. The lads used to joke how he was the slowest member of the squad
      Speed has nothing to do with fitness. He was fit.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2011 08:25:28 pm
      Actually I saw a video of Terry Mc. He was class.

Who was better?

Molby or Alonso? I know people will laugh but how would Molby compare in the modern game. He wasnt the fittest?

Molby he was a better passer, scored more goals and was more versatile, he often played as a 3rd central defender for us too, I think it was the 85-86 season If I remember rightly he scored around 20 goals for us, which was his best ever season in a reds shirt.

I remember that so vividly because I used to get the football magzines, Match I think it was and he was in the top 5 league scorers all season long and we went on to win the 16th.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: Feb 05, 2011 01:31:47 am
      Current
                           Reina
      Johnson    Vidic      Agger      Evra
      Gerrard     Meireles  Scholes   Giggs
                 Berbatov   Rooney

All time

Schmeichel
      Neal      Hansen   Pallister     Irwin
      Best    Edwards   Souness    Giggs
                Dalglish    Charlton

By their very nature, these "best of all time" teams are going to be very subjective.  However, for me two players should be included by all - Kenny Dalglish and Duncan Edwards.
      Both were brilliant players and gentlemen who brought credit to their respective clubs - one of the saddest things to have happened in football over the last century was not seeing Duncan Edwards have the opportunity to fulfill his potential.
      djpailo
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #51: Feb 05, 2011 02:37:47 am
      Had an argument with a Manc mate trying to pick a Liverpool/Man United current and all time team.

For current I said:

Reina

Rafael  Ferdinand  Vidic  Evra

Gerrard  Meireles

Nani       Suarez     Giggs

Berbatov

And then to the all time team:

Schmeichel

Neal     Vidic        Hansen    Evra

Barnes    Gerrard    B.Charlton   Best

Dalglish     Rush

Players a little out of position, trying to fit them all in :)

Dalglish and Rush? No. Cantona would have to be in there and probably one of the two liverpool players, I don't know who was better so you would decide that. Sorry, but in my eyes, Scholes was a better player than Gerrard but I agree there is scope for debate. I don't know who neal is. I'd put Parker there. I'd be tempted to put Stam ahead of Vidic too. And what of Duncan Edwards?

Suarez would never get into the team. He played one game and you think he is better than Rooney? As an England fan do you honestly think that? Rooney just scored some goals and he has still been creating. Reina shouldn't be there. Man Utd have one more clean sheet than Liverpool AND have played a game less. VDS and Reina have been on par, so based on the clean sheets VDS would edge it.

Meireles? I haven't watched him ever. I don't know if he is playing well or not, but I'd take a guess that most punters would pick Fletcher in that position, though he hasn't played that well this season. Maybe even play Scholes there since Scholes has been a lot better then fletcher, but gerrard would have to do all the running and become more of a box to box midfielder.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #52: Feb 05, 2011 04:45:27 am
      Dalglish and Rush? No. Cantona would have to be in there and probably one of the two liverpool players, I don't know who was better so you would decide that. Sorry, but in my eyes, Scholes was a better player than Gerrard but I agree there is scope for debate. I don't know who neal is. I'd put Parker there. I'd be tempted to put Stam ahead of Vidic too. And what of Duncan Edwards?

Suarez would never get into the team. He played one game and you think he is better than Rooney? As an England fan do you honestly think that? Rooney just scored some goals and he has still been creating. Reina shouldn't be there. Man Utd have one more clean sheet than Liverpool AND have played a game less. VDS and Reina have been on par, so based on the clean sheets VDS would edge it.

Meireles? I haven't watched him ever. I don't know if he is playing well or not, but I'd take a guess that most punters would pick Fletcher in that position, though he hasn't played that well this season. Maybe even play Scholes there since Scholes has been a lot better then fletcher, but gerrard would have to do all the running and become more of a box to box midfielder.

VDS only has one more clean sheet?  That's no reason to pick him, especially as Reina has been in a side performing poorly.  Your choosing Parker is a joke, not even the best right back that you've had and certainly not a patch on Phil Neal.  As for Fletcher, you're the first Man United fan I know who ever said he was decent, he's nothing more than a clumsy fouling machine and an insult to some of the better midfielders you've had in your history. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #53: Feb 05, 2011 07:39:36 am

Heres what i read of your post: bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, complete bullshit, bullshit, bullshit bullshit - and then repeat.

I mean Cuntona better than Dalglish or Rush? F***ing mental you. I'm drunk and im more together in my head than you. Had to spellcheck this post alot though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #54: Feb 05, 2011 02:46:38 pm

Just read this post now.

You're either taking the utter piss or don't read posts properly.

Cantona better than Rush and Dalglish. Hahahaha!

Reina is infinitely better than Van der Sar, Gerrard better than Scholes - I agree with the Suarez comment, he's played a game in the PL, he's not better than Rooney.

And I think I can safely say Meireles is better than Fletcher right now. He's a Fletcher that actually scores goals and makes some decent runs.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #55: Feb 05, 2011 03:37:15 pm
      Reina

Neal    Hansen    Hyypia    Nicol

Molby/Alonso   Gerrard

Keegan                  Barnes

Dalglish    Rush
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #56: Feb 05, 2011 06:07:18 pm
      Oh, and PGlynn, if your watching the match between Wolves and ManU, tell me Rafael is better than Kelly now.

He's sh*t house.
      djpailo
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #57: Feb 05, 2011 08:21:28 pm
      Heres what I read of your post: bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, complete bullshit, bullshit, bullshit bullshit - and then repeat.

I mean Cuntona better than Dalglish or Rush? F***ing mental you. I'm drunk and im more together in my head than you. Had to spellcheck this post alot though.

Cantona is better than Daglish and Rush. Why does he come up in the following list and Rush and Daglish don't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100

I never called your players crap at all, and unsurprisingly you come out all guns blazing just because I said I felt you should only pick one of them. Seriously, so many of you are so far up in the clouds it beggars belief.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #58: Feb 05, 2011 08:23:39 pm
      Cantona is better than Daglish and Rush. Why does he come up in the following list and Rush and Daglish don't:

I never called your players crap at all, and unsurprisingly you come out all guns blazing just because I said I felt you should only pick one of them. Seriously, so many of you are so far up in the clouds it beggars belief.

Dalglish is on the list you plonker!

:lmao:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #59: Feb 05, 2011 08:24:07 pm

Ohh wikipedia! Hail to the gods!

Seriously, your so far gone im surprised you aint in a white jacket and a padded cell yet.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #60: Feb 05, 2011 08:25:15 pm

:lmao: I didn't even look at it, but thats hilarious :D

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #61: Feb 05, 2011 08:28:00 pm
      Why would you want to make a combined team with the mancs, come on.
      Exactly how could any supporter of Liverpool acknowledge a manc being better than a RED.Get a grip FFS.
      djpailo
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #62: Feb 05, 2011 08:33:16 pm

Indeed he is. But Rush isn't. Note I did say one of the two should be in there though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #63: Feb 05, 2011 08:34:14 pm
      What a stupid thread and to go with it, some proper insane views!

How can you have a factual opinion on players who played before you were even born and secondly how can you as a Liverpool fan want to mix manc players with a Liverpool squad?!

I think some people seriously don't understand the rivalry.

No offence intended like.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #64: Feb 05, 2011 08:35:48 pm
      Diouf is on that list, too :lmao:
      djpailo
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #65: Feb 05, 2011 08:42:43 pm
      What a stupid thread and to go with it, some proper insane views!

How can you have a factual opinion on players who played before you were even born and secondly how can you as a Liverpool fan want to mix manc players with a Liverpool squad?!

I think some people seriously don't understand the rivalry.

No offence intended like.

Yeah you are right to be honest. A list of all-time greats would have been far better.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #66: Feb 05, 2011 08:53:38 pm
      Yeah you are right to be honest. A list of all-time greats would have been far better.

http://www.zimbio.com/100+Players+Who+Shook+The+Kop

Done.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 

Quick Reply