Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

The Oppo - Aston villa (Away)

Read 2237 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      The Oppo - Aston villa (Away)
      Aug 07, 2007 12:10:15 pm
      Some of you may remember I brought you this at the back end of last season, it's not my work, I haven't got the time or the patience. A chap on another forum I go on registers on opposition fans forums before the match & gets their opinion on the forthcoming game. I'll use my copy & paste skills to (hopefully) bring the oppositions opinion before every game this season.

Credit to Rafa-Dodd.

THE OPPO: VILLA (A)

Aston Villa

League Position   - 11th (LAST SEASON)   

All competitions - Home   -  P19 W7  D8  L4  F20  A14   

Recent Encounters between teams
      28-10-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Kuyt,Crouch,Garcia)(Agabonhalor)
      29-04-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Morientes, Gerrard 2) (Barry)
      05-11-05 Aston Villa 0 - 2 Liverpool WON (Gerrard,Xabi Alonso)
      15-05-05 Liverpool 2 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Cisse 2) (Barry)

Interesting Facts
      *Original members of the Football League in 1888, Aston Villa are one of the Premier League's founding clubs.
      *Randy Lerner the new chairman of Aston Villa is an actual member of their forum.
      *George Gillett unsuccessfully tried to buy Aston Villa before he bought us with Tom Hicks.

Club Honours
      LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
      1893-94, 1895-96, 1896-97,1898-99, 1899-00, 1909-10,
      1980-81

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

F.A. CUP WINNERS
      1887, 1895, 1897, 1905, 1913, 1920, 1957   

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS
      1961, 1975, 1977, 1994, 1996 

And now thanks to the lads and lasses at Aston Villa Official Message Boards

-----------------------------------------------

Well another season's underway this weekend, what are
      your hopes and aspirations for Aston Villa?

generalav:I would be devastated with less than 7th. Always hopeful of a freak 2nd or something like that, though!

shevace:Whilst last season was all about consolidation I think most people would be expecting a top 10 finish at the least.  i think our current squad is capable of top 8 and if O'Neil can bring in 3-4 more (of the right) players a proper challenge for the top 6 should not be beyond us.

porky:To win every game this season and to win the league, FA and CC. Which are my hopes every season!
      Realistically though I'd be happy with a top 8 finish and a good run in at least one of the cups.

How did you rate your pre-season, results and transfer
      wise?

generalav:Results: 10/10

Transfers: 1/10

shevace:Pre-season results can't be argued with we beat the 2 american teams and Stoke. Obviously completely wiping the floor with Inter was the icing on the cake - Villa have looked very good (especially the attack) in pre-season.  Transfers.....people have fallen into 2 camps - blind panic (over the lack of action) and blind faith (in O'Neil) I fall into the latter.  Reo Coker could be a fantastic bit of business and Harewood could prove to a useful squad player to have.  I would still hope that 3-4 players will be added before the window closes (i'd be very happy with Gordon and Davies)

porky:Results wise, very good. Good confidence boosting results. Transfer wise I'd have like to have seen a few more players in earlier than what we have or are going to.

Who do you think is going to be major players for Aston
      Villa this season? Any surprises we wouldn't know about?

generalav:Ashley Young is B-Rillliant, and soon everyone will know.

Luke Moore could quite easily have a 20+ season.

John Carew is excellent in case you didn't know.

Shaun Maloney could be the next Joe Cole, if he isn't already.

Martin Laursen is one of the best defenders in the world when fit.

Gareth Barry is being robbed blind of his rightful place in the England team.

Bouma, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Gardner and Petrov are all very good, too.

shevace:Major players - Barry, Reo Coker, Carew all have to be mentioned but for me Young is the Villa player to watch fly this year.  Also, Gabby and Moore will be under pressure to really step up and establish themselves as premiership strikers which i believe they both have the talent to do.

porky:Barry will have his usual very solid season.

Moore could be a good season, this is really the time where he needs to show his ability that we all know he's got.

Agbonlahor, I'm hoping he doesnt have 2nd season syndrome and keeps his game from last season.

Carew, looking forward to seeing his first full season.

Reo, I wasnt impressed at the price we paid for him, but he's certainly looked lively during the preseason, could well yet turn out to be a bargain.

Young, I'm really looking forward to seeing him fly from the traps this year.

Petrov, really looking to see an improvement from him as he's had time to adjust to the premiership now.

Bouma, looks to be going from strength to strength, O'Drearys best buy by far.

Gardner, another exciting prospect.

The Usual Suspects: Mellberg, Laursen, Cahill, Sorenson, hopefully we can keep them fit and in the squad.

We have both recently been taken over by American owners, how is things going with Randy? And what do you think of George and Tom?

generalav:We all love Randy for the way he has done things, really a touch of class. Don't know much about your Yanks (except that they called Liverpool a "franchise" ahahahahahaha........{weeps with laughter}), but Doug Ellis said he was impressed with them when they were sniffing around the Villa for a while.

shevace:Randy seems to be doing everything right at the moment - he's really won the fans over with off the pitch initiatives the next part is to prove the backing is there when O'Neil needs it - i have no reason to doubt that it will be.  As for your owners (Gillett looked at us before you - Randy scared him off, Villa Reject! ) Thy seem to be backing benitez - with the players you've brought in i see no reason to complain.

porky:Randy seems to have a good rapport with the Villa fans, having come in and set about lifting the deep depression thats surrounded us for far too long. Injected a bit of vigour and freshness to the whole place. Backing us in the transfer market, getting the training facilities to where they should be for any aspiring Europe bound team and starting to bring the crowds back can only be good for any team.

George and Tom I'm not too familiar with. I know they've come in and provided funds for team building and have big plans with your new stadium et al. Has their been a change in atmosphere at Anfield with them coming in?

What do you think of Liverpool's transfers this
      year?

generalav:Could go either way. Make or break for Rafa I'd say.

shevace:As I say i don't think you can complain - to be honest i'm a bit sceptical about Torres and how he'll adapt, i think Voronin (is that right?) will score for you and Babbel will prove a fantastic bit of business.

porky:Sorry havent really been watching your transfers apart from the obvious Torres. Who should add that little bit extra you may need to kick on for a run at the league title, I still dont think you'll be quite there yet, but not as far off it as the last few seasons. Who else have you bought by the way?

What are your views on the Liverpool squad this year?

generalav:Ditto

shevace:Your squad is definately stronger this season - but so is Man U's and to be honest i can see them winning the league again.  i think you'll come 3rd but be a lot closer to Chelsea this time. i think next season is when i'd expect your squad to be strong enough to challenge for the title (but how many years has that been said about Liverpool?)

porky:Stronger than what they've probably been for a couple of decades now, I'd expect them to push for the title this year, but I dont think you're quite at the point to be able to do it yet. Another good tilt at the Champions League beckons though.

What are your views on the new Liverpool stadium?

generalav:Would be sad to see Anfield go. And even sadder to see Liverpool getting huge crowds to their games, ;D.

shevace:Stadium - It's sad that you're leaving such a famous ground but you're losing so much potential revenue by having a stadium so much smaller than the likes of United and unfortunately cash seems to take presidence over tradition in football these days.  The idea of a 'new kop' should help prevent the lack of atmosphere that usually acompanies a move to a new ground.

porky:Looks okish, I'm more impressed by the Emirates though, although the atmosphere there is a bit wishy-washy.

Your worst and best memories from matches with Liverpool ?

generalav:Been a while since there were any good memories, and  prefer to forget the bad ones.

shevace:Worst memories - that's a tough one, how do i seperate one 3-0 thrashing from the next.  Maybe when you knocked us out of the league cup a few years back - the game where kick off was delayed, you won 4-3 with Gerrard scoring in the last minute.  Favourite - has to be Rosenthal missing the open goal in front of the holte! (or collymore getting sent off and doing the harry enfield "calm down, calm down" sketch to you lot as he passed you).

porky:Well I'm glad Fowlers not in the premiership anymore!!!!

Your winners of the following this year : Premiership,
      F.A Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League:

generalav:Man United, Chelsea, Villa, Milan

shevace:Prem - Man U, F.A. - Chelsea, C.C. - Liverpool (or Villa!), CL -  Man U (i'm not going to be too popular after that am I - sorry!)

porky:Premiership: Man Utd
      FA Cup: Liverpool
      Carling Cup: Villa
      Champions League: Barcelona

Finally can you predict the score for us?

generalav:2-1

shevace:I'm going out on a limb, bearing in mind how you usually start campaigns 1-0 Villa.

porky:Villa 3-1 Liverpool

Good read, always interesting to hear the opinions of fans who don't wear the red tinted glasses. As I said I'll try & post this here for every game.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Re: The Oppo - Aston villa (Away)
      Reply #1: Aug 07, 2007 12:53:41 pm
      Good read, intresting to see about Gillett trying to buy Villa before as I didnt know that. be intresting to see what the other clubs say about us as I cant imagine that many being as fair as that!!!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #2: Aug 07, 2007 01:41:07 pm
      Interesting to hear other fans' points of view.  Think there European Cup win should have been mentioned in their Honours.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #3: Aug 07, 2007 02:32:34 pm
      Villa 3 Liverpool 1.

Ooh my sides are still splitting.
      G.H.
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 07, 2007 02:34:06 pm
      Good read!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Aug 07, 2007 03:43:10 pm
      Nice bit of work their Eddie makes for an interesting read. Have to say out of all the managers in the EPL I think Martin O'Neil is one of the more honest and tells it like it is. I also respect his tactical apptitude and his shy passion for the game. Villa have some good players and should not be taken lightly under any circumstances O'Neil is a crafty old fox of sorts and knows the game inside out.

Im looking forward to the game on Saturday and wish the Villa fans and players good luck and may the best team win. Which will of course be us 1-0.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #6: Aug 07, 2007 03:49:48 pm
      Villa 3 Liverpool 1.

Ooh my sides are still splitting.

I think you may well be surprised this season as much as I think Villa are sh*t I gotta say O'Neil has done a good job there so far and I think we will see a different side to them this season.

His honours include:

Leicester
      Promotion to Premier League 1995/96
      League Cup 1997, 2000
      League Cup runners up 1999

Celtic
      SPL title 2000/01, 2001/02, 2003/04
      Scottish Cup 2001, 2004, 2005
      Scottish League Cup 2000/01

Runners-Up
      Uefa Cup 2002/03
      Scottish League Cup 2002/03
      SPL title 2002/03 2004/05

That's a pretty good record for a guy who began at Wycombe (of which he managed to promote twice in 2 seasons)

So I'd say be prepared for a new Villa this season and they may well cause a few upsets.  I have always had alot of respect for this guy.

This is from another fansite from 2003 discussing the possibility of O'Neil leaving Celtic:
      A 100% sure source says he'll be taking over Liverpool.

When I heard first heard this I was really optimistic about it but then this was just before Rafa came and there was all sorts of rumours about.

Makes you wonder though.................. .............

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007 03:52:04 pm by AJ »
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: Aug 07, 2007 03:54:51 pm
      I think you may well be surprised this season as much as I think Villa are sh*t I gotta say O'Neil has done a good job there so far and I think we will see a different side to them this season.

His honours include:

Leicester

Promotion to Premier League 1995/96
      League Cup 1997, 2000
      League Cup runners up 1999

Celtic
      SPL title 2000/01, 2001/02, 2003/04
      Scottish Cup 2001, 2004, 2005
      Scottish League Cup 2000/01

Runners-Up
      Uefa Cup 2002/03
      Scottish League Cup 2002/03
      SPL title 2002/03 2004/05

That's a pretty good record for a guy who began at Wycombe (of which he managed to promote twice in 2 seasons)

So I'd say be prepared for a new Villa this season and they may well cause a few upsets.  I have always had alot of respect for this guy.

This is from another fansite from 2003 discussing the possibility of O'Neil leaving Celtic:
      A 100% sure source says he'll be taking over Liverpool.

When I heard first heard this I was really optimistic about it but then this was just before Rafa came and there was all sorts of rumours about.

Makes you wonder though.................. .............

I have to say with regards to the O'Neil taking over at Liverpool, far far worse things could happen, like Alex Ferguson on the LFC board of directors. LMAO ;D oh my sides are hurting now. But seriously we could do worse in a different sorta Universe or something.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Aug 07, 2007 04:06:44 pm

Can't take credit for this one, as I said before it's the work of someone on another forum, chap called Rafa-Dodd, I'm just sharing his work with you.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Aug 07, 2007 04:15:57 pm
      Can't take credit for this one, as I said before it's the work of someone on another forum, chap called Rafa-Dodd, I'm just sharing his work with you.
      Yeah but you did copy and paste and be bothered to post it so nice bit of work there Eddie. ;D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Aug 07, 2007 04:23:40 pm
      Cheers Eddy, looking forward to these posts! Makes good reading!

Their predicitions aren't too outrageous though! It's frighteningly possible!  :-\ We'll see!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #11: Aug 07, 2007 04:41:36 pm
      I have to say with regards to the O'Neil taking over at Liverpool, far far worse things could happen, like Alex Ferguson on the LFC board of directors. LMAO ;D oh my sides are hurting now. But seriously we could do worse in a different sorta Universe or something.

True but do you think things could have been different if he took over Liverpool?
      taking nothing away from Rafa of course :)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #12: Aug 07, 2007 08:01:47 pm
      True but do you think things could have been different if he took over Liverpool?
      taking nothing away from Rafa of course :)

There is a theory in quantum physics which states that for every possible turn in history there is an alternate universe somewhere with that altered state, timeline or history, which exisits on a paralelle with our own universe. For example Hitler won the war, the USA is still a British Colony etc etc and these Universes exist but we just cant see them. So for example somewhere in the infinte space of paralelle universes Alex Ferguson is in fact manager of Liverpool. So remind me next time Im in that Universe I will be sure to ask him your question because as of right now I really wouldnt have a clue as to answer your question other than to quote Alex from that other parallell Universe.

"Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to knock Manchester United off their f***ing perch"
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #13: Aug 07, 2007 09:22:58 pm
      There is a theory in quantum physics which states that for every possible turn in history there is an alternate universe somewhere with that altered state, timeline or history, which exisits on a paralelle with our own universe. For example Hitler won the war, the USA is still a British Colony etc etc and these Universes exist but we just cant see them. So for example somewhere in the infinte space of paralelle universes Alex Ferguson is in fact manager of Liverpool. So remind me next time Im in that Universe I will be sure to ask him your question because as of right now I really wouldnt have a clue as to answer your question other than to quote Alex from that other parallell Universe.

"Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to knock Manchester United off their f***ing perch"

Right! did you take your medication this morning? I don't think you get the whole "real world" thing.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6750 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #14: Aug 08, 2007 01:35:36 am
      nice read Eddie/Rafa-Dodd, thanks ...it will be interesting reading throughout the course of the season...I'll especially look forward to reading the thoughts of the Mancs, Chavs and Gooners supporters before they play matches against us.

Quick Reply