Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

European football next year

Read 12310 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: European football next year
      Reply #23: Feb 28, 2011 04:05:07 pm
      When we were in the bottom 3, I was optimistic and thought that the top half was still possible. When kenny came in and we started to play a bit better (albeit against mainly poor teams) I though with a lot of effort and luck then top 6 or 7 might might just be achieveable. Anyone who thought that the top 4 was on the cards because we won 3 of our last 7 premiership games under dalglish (2 of those were against stoke and fulham!) was clearly
      getting carried away with the excitement of kenny coming back.

There's a fine line between between optimistic and delusional but you can't seem to see it.
      That would be four wins from 7 games would it? Your posting utter sh*te in this thread.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #24: Feb 28, 2011 04:32:59 pm
      Yesterday was just about the worst possible day for Liverpool. I don't think it's the end of the world. We were in the sh*t in January and December and players still wanted to join us. I just don't think we can attract Sanchez, Hazard's off the world. I think our best bet is to look at players from teams not in Europe (Young, Adam) or players who are looking for first team football (Bojan, Benzema).

I sadly feel that without any European football then I think Pepe Renia will leave.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #25: Feb 28, 2011 04:35:06 pm
      That would be four wins from 7 games would it? Your posting utter sh*te in this thread.

Silly me - I left out the mighty wolves! Since Dalglish came back, chelsea aside, we have beaten 3 of the weakest teams in the league, lost to the weakest and got 2 draws against bottom half sides. To me, that's no reason to think we deserve to be in europe - it's a half decent run, by no means anything special, which has sadly made some of the more foolish people on here start dreaming about european football for next season.

ps - the least you can do is check your grammar before trying to belittle someone!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #26: Feb 28, 2011 05:01:35 pm
      Am I missing something here, or does places 1-7 not get you Champions League/Europa League football?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Feb 28, 2011 05:04:44 pm
      Am I missing something here, or does places 1-7 not get you Champions League/Europa League football?

No, only 1 to 5 get automatic European football. 6th and 7th get European football depending on who wins the carling cup and who wins the fa cup or who comes runners up
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Feb 28, 2011 05:06:11 pm

No mate.  The three EL places go to the Carling Cup winner, the FA Cup winner and the 5th place team in the league.  

If the Cup winners are already in the CL places, then the runners up get the EL place.  If they are also in the CL league places then it's 6th and 7th places from the league.

Damn, you beat me to it  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Feb 28, 2011 06:09:28 pm
      We've only got ourselves to blame. Our attitude in the domestic cup competitions the past few years since the cup final in 06 has been truly abysmal. It is always an opportunity when things don't go great in the league and I always felt that we should have been taking the carling cup a lot more seriously after our poor season last year. However what happened back in September against Northampton was one of the most unforgivable things I have ever seen from Liverpool. It was just disgusting.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #30: Feb 28, 2011 06:14:56 pm
      For what it's worth I had thought Arsenal would win the League Cup and thus 6th would have been enough.

As it is, sorry to be negative, but I doubt we will play European Football next year because I think we will finish 6th. 

Bit bizarre that we could finish a place higher than last year and not be in the Europa League - but there you go.

As for attracting talent - we always will.

I'm not hugely despondent about the prospect of no Europa League and mid-July starts.  It would be sad, but unfortunately I did say last summer when we appointed Hodgson to enjoy European football this year because you wouldn't see it for a while.

Next year - 100% focus on the top four (or better). No excuses. No post European hangovers.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #31: Feb 28, 2011 07:06:32 pm
      I think the mentality of the Owners, Board and Staff is writing off this season and starting new and fresh next season.  If they make it to Europe next year thats a bonus. I think the long term plan starts next season and they are shooting for a return to Europe in 2012/2013. They wont say it or admit it but I think they are planning for next year.

I think Kenny will continue to coach, we will certainly be in good form next season and contending for the title and will be an easy CL team.

This season still has the stink of not just Hodgson but Hicks, Gillette, bad loans, debt etc... Next season starts the new regime.  New owners, new players, new coach (Kenny), it will be a whole new start and I am actually looking forward to it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #32: Feb 28, 2011 07:09:53 pm
      I'm still optimistic of us winning the Europa this year actually. It's a tough task but I think we stand a chance, especially if Carroll settles in quickly and the likes of Gerrard and Dagger to stay injury free for key matches.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Feb 28, 2011 07:15:53 pm
      I'm still optimistic of us winning the Europa this year actually. It's a tough task but I think we stand a chance, especially if Carroll settles in quickly and the likes of Gerrard and Dagger to stay injury free for key matches.

I think we're capable of beating anyone left in the competition over 2 legs mate, as for winning the final I'm not so sure.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,972 posts | 5031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Feb 28, 2011 07:56:50 pm
      We did find it tough against Sparta and they had'nt played for weeks and we got thru, however we would need to up our game and would need a fully fit Andy Carroll to lead the charge, it wil be tough as tough can get, but i remember how we struggled thru the stages in 2005 and we all know how that turned out, it would massively disappointing not to be competing in Europe next season but not the end of the world, we are in a transition period and it may take 12 months or so to get us up to speed, and develop a side capable of competing on all fronts.

In the interim we may have to accept a few knocks here and there and they will soon be forgotten once we are back on track and winning, this season has been probably the worst in recent memory, but we are emerging and slowly progressing from the sh*t we were left in by Kunt & Kuntier.

Once next season gets underway this season will fade into distant memory and we will revelling in glory, it may not be European glory granted, but i would rather have us committed 100% to bringing back the 19th without the distraction of being in Euro competition, and be in that envious position of being able to rest our key players regularly.    your thoughts please.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Mar 17, 2011 10:27:49 pm
      No European football next season unless we miraculously finish 5th.

Anyways, I believe this may be a blessing in disguise. We may see many players going out and quality ones coming in and finally lift number 19th come May 2012.

I mean, we just got knocked out and look unlikely to finish 5th and how often do Arsenal lose to Birmingham in a Cup Final and none of the top 5 meet in the FA Cup final?

All of those happened in a season and it's a sign for us to lift the 19th league title of LFC!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #36: Mar 17, 2011 11:00:58 pm
      Agree it could be a blessing, less games to play, less travel and a chance for the owners to really put their strategy into practice.  Not overly bothered about the Europa league myself anyway.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #37: Mar 17, 2011 11:15:13 pm
      Agree it could be a blessing, less games to play, less travel and a chance for the owners to really put their strategy into practice.  Not overly bothered about the Europa league myself anyway.
      The problem is red sq. Who are we gunna atract if we havent got at least Eufa cup next season ?.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #38: Mar 17, 2011 11:17:16 pm
      The problem is red sq. Who are we gunna atract if we havent got at least Eufa cup next season ?.

It'll be very hard to attract the top top players but we can still go after good players, just not world class ones who every team are after.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #39: Mar 17, 2011 11:21:42 pm
      So NESV & Kenny need to sell the journey - like Kenny sold it to Shearer and Sutton at Blackburn and f##k me but outside of Kenny they had nothing to believe in
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #40: Mar 17, 2011 11:35:13 pm
      It'll be very hard to attract the top top players but we can still go after good players, just not world class ones who every team are after.
      Thats my point mate, we've, for the last few seasons, just gone after "good" players, or freebies, and its got us nowhere. These new owners, (imo) are willing to spend, but on who?.
      Tonights game showed us that we lack depth in not one, but many positions.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #41: Mar 17, 2011 11:55:57 pm
      F**k it one season with out European wont kill us,we are Liverpool football club,we can attract the best players in the world money talks,offer them the write money and they will play anywhere.I still thinK we have a small chance of getting 5th.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #42: Mar 18, 2011 02:06:36 am
      F**k it one season with out European wont kill us,we are Liverpool football club,we can attract the best players in the world money talks,offer them the write money and they will play anywhere.I still thinK we have a small chance of getting 5th.

Not sure about that m8,we all can see that wages of Jovanovic and Cole kinda poking in owner`s eyes=they arent happy with big wages= not sure are they willing to offer any player 100k+ per week.Players are greedy cu*ts and hungry for CL or EL atleast.
          I cannot imagine that (playing in the Europa League),” Robben said.“That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don’t play in it at all.”“Even winning the Europa League would not mean anything for me. That is not the title you want to win and it is not something I want.” sadly most of top players are dicks like this one.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #43: Mar 18, 2011 02:14:30 am
      If a player doesn't want to play for Liverpool Football Club because he doesn't get to be on Sky Sports on a Tuesday night, then that's his loss.

He'll miss out on a Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup treble next season.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #44: Mar 18, 2011 02:34:55 am

He'll miss out on a Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup treble next season.
      I really hate comments like that.

Its like we jinx ourselves every year.

"This is going to be our year".. We say it too much!
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #45: Mar 18, 2011 02:58:40 am
      I really hate comments like that.

Its like we jinx ourselves every year.

"This is going to be our year".. We say it too much!

I apologise if we have a bad season next year. That's my fault.

Soz.

Quick Reply