Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

European football next year

Read 12386 times
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: European football next year
      Reply #46: Mar 18, 2011 08:42:55 am
      I really hate comments like that.

Its like we jinx ourselves every year.

"This is going to be our year".. We say it too much!

Nothing wrong with believing.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #47: Mar 18, 2011 08:51:40 am
      If a player doesn't want to play for Liverpool Football Club because he doesn't get to be on Sky Sports on a Tuesday night, then that's his loss.

He'll miss out on a Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup treble next season.

The CL was just as important when it was on ITV. I assume your comment was supposed to be a joke...?
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Mar 18, 2011 09:05:13 am
      Yes, we need CL football - but looking at the players - last season and this, they were really not 'up' for the Europa league.

Couple of years ago, Bayern Munich didnt qualify for CL. Following year, they won the league, and the year after were in the CL final.

Will be gutted not to make it to Europe next season if we dont qualify, but agree with earlier posters - with Kenny to sell the vision and John Henry to get his wallet out, we can make it back.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #49: Mar 18, 2011 09:18:07 am
      I would have loved to have won the europa league this season but come on lets own up and admit it, its a mickey mouse trophy end of.

Its a trophy that teams who finish 5th 6th and 7th in their leagues fight out for, its a competition where you have to travel to mad countries and play in sh*t conditions against teams who on a saturday in the premiership we would paste 5 or 6.

Personally I'm not arsed one bit about missing out on it next season. I think it will do us a world of good. No midweek fixtures to be distracted with, less injuries, players more fresh for league games, its a massive blessing in disguise.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #50: Mar 18, 2011 12:57:07 pm
      I would have loved to have won the europa league this season but come on lets own up and admit it, its a mickey mouse trophy end of.

Its a trophy that teams who finish 5th 6th and 7th in their leagues fight out for, its a competition where you have to travel to mad countries and play in sh*t conditions against teams who on a saturday in the premiership we would paste 5 or 6.

Personally I'm not arsed one bit about missing out on it next season. I think it will do us a world of good. No midweek fixtures to be distracted with, less injuries, players more fresh for league games, its a massive blessing in disguise.

Anyone who thinks this can PISS OFF in my humble opinion, try telling messrs Shankly,Paisley and Houllier it was a MICKY MOUSE trophy (I take it you didn't cheer then when Houulier won it then ?).

We are in Europe because we're ONE of Englands best teams at the moment, We're not THE best or we'd be in the CL and if it we're up to me it would be the European Cup, and we wouldn't have been in it since 1985 !

You seem to think that the only two competitions we should be in are the PL. and CL, what gives us that right ? our history ? we can't live off it forever !
      We are where we are on merit, quit whinging and get behind your team whoever they play and whatever there playing for !
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #51: Mar 18, 2011 01:16:01 pm
      chill ya beans lad.

maybe you're happy battling it out amongst europes 6th placed sides in there domestic leagues but I expect better. You sound like a bluenose all made up with your europa league spot but for me, its a bit of a shambles.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #52: Mar 18, 2011 01:35:25 pm
      chill ya beans lad.

maybe you're happy battling it out amongst europes 6th placed sides in there domestic leagues but I expect better. You sound like a bluenose all made up with your europa league spot but for me, its a bit of a shambles.

Anything but mate, it looks like Fergies at the moment (got a cold!) !
      So what do you want then ? if were not good enough to qualify for the Europa League stop playing full stop !
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #53: Mar 18, 2011 01:41:25 pm
      Basically yes, spot on!

Why should we go through having a pre season starting 4 or 5 weeks before everybody else, why should we go through playing on awful boggy pitches against yard dogs in all honesty, why should we go through travelling all over the place on thursday nights, to countries which aren't known for footballing reasons.

Is it worthwhile financially? Not really. Does it attract europes top players? Not Really. So it's not essential is it. Its not as if we have to qualify or else.

So yeah, why not skip it for a season, keep our squad fresh, keep them focused on the league and the league only. It will benefit us. Who knows, but if it wasn't for the europa league we may be in the top 4 now, I honestly think we would be.

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #54: Mar 18, 2011 01:46:10 pm
      We can still mathmatically qualify - so chill out peeps
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #55: Mar 18, 2011 01:47:06 pm
      We only qualified last season due to Pompey not being allowed to play in Europe due to administration
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #56: Mar 18, 2011 01:48:58 pm
      Think we're at cross purposes, I was being sarcastic meaning no football of any kind cause we cant reach the CL. !

We've slipped from the top 4, so the next trophy is all we can play for, your saying don't play unless its for the top trophies, well we're not that good enough at the moment, I'll take any silverware, I'm a glory hunter not someone who throws the teddy out of the pram when the big boys won't let us play at the top table !
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #57: Mar 18, 2011 02:01:42 pm
      I think you're just happy to battle it out with birmingham fc for the honours that the top teams don't bother with.

I'm not though. Never will be either.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #58: Mar 18, 2011 04:39:48 pm
      Anyone who thinks this can PISS OFF in my humble opinion, try telling messrs Shankly,Paisley and Houllier it was a MICKY MOUSE trophy (I take it you didn't cheer then when Houulier won it then ?).

We are in Europe because we're ONE of Englands best teams at the moment, We're not THE best or we'd be in the CL and if it we're up to me it would be the European Cup, and we wouldn't have been in it since 1985 !

You seem to think that the only two competitions we should be in are the PL. and CL, what gives us that right ? our history ? we can't live off it forever !
      We are where we are on merit, quit whinging and get behind your team whoever they play and whatever there playing for !

The "champions league" could also be classed as a bit mickey mouse as it to has sh*te teams from sh*te countries who didn't finish the season as champions. Whilst you're slagging off competitions that aren't for the elite, don't forget our Istanbul victory came off the back of finishing 4th in the premiership - hardly worthy of too many celebrations.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: Mar 18, 2011 04:57:01 pm
      5 out of the current last 8 teams in the EL actually started in the Champions League. The other 3 teams are Porto, Dynamo Kyiv and Villareal. So where are those 6th placed sides? Oh wait, we are a 7th placed side, and they're not. Yeah yeah, we belong at the top, but we aren't right now. This trophy isn't beneath anyone.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #60: Mar 18, 2011 05:36:51 pm
      The "champions league" could also be classed as a bit mickey mouse as it to has sh*te teams from sh*te countries who didn't finish the season as champions. Whilst you're slagging off competitions that aren't for the elite, don't forget our Istanbul victory came off the back of finishing 4th in the premiership - hardly worthy of too many celebrations.
      I think you've got your wires crossed Carheex ! where have I said any European trophy is a Micky Mouse cup ?
      It was Carroll9 and I was attacking him because of it !

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #61: Mar 18, 2011 05:53:19 pm
      Not sure about that m8,we all can see that wages of Jovanovic and Cole kinda poking in owner`s eyes=they arent happy with big wages= not sure are they willing to offer any player 100k+ per week.Players are greedy cu*ts and hungry for CL or EL atleast.
          I cannot imagine that (playing in the Europa League),” Robben said.“That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don’t play in it at all.”“Even winning the Europa League would not mean anything for me. That is not the title you want to win and it is not something I want.” sadly most of top players are dicks like this one.

Carroll and Suarez are on 85-90k a week if my memory serves me...kind of shoots down that argument
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #62: Mar 18, 2011 06:05:59 pm
      Personally I honestly couldnt give a sh*t if were in Europe next season, it would be nice to have the distraction but there is more pressing matters at hand, this club needs investment in Key areas to get us anywhere near challenging for honours again, so I wouldn't mind a year out to get our new players in and get them gelling as a team ready for new recruits the following summer when hopefully Champions League football will have been secured.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #63: Mar 18, 2011 06:49:46 pm
      I really don't rate Europa league at all.If you can gain entry into it by winning a competition that the best teams use to breed their youngsters then there's something easy about it.For me European football for us should mean only Champions League and next year we make sure to get into it.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #64: Mar 18, 2011 07:29:15 pm
      5 out of the current last 8 teams in the EL actually started in the Champions League. The other 3 teams are Porto, Dynamo Kyiv and Villareal. So where are those 6th placed sides? Oh wait, we are a 7th placed side, and they're not. Yeah yeah, we belong at the top, but we aren't right now. This trophy isn't beneath anyone.

Its below SOME people if you read soe of these threads ! :f_steam:
      Well said BTW !
      fowler2010
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #65: Mar 18, 2011 07:34:59 pm
      the top players want to play in europe,if we can't offer it then other teams have the edge over us.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #66: Mar 18, 2011 07:37:16 pm
      We need players willing to play for the Shirt not the prestige of being on TV in midweek !
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #67: Mar 18, 2011 07:49:26 pm
      the top players want to play in europe,if we can't offer it then other teams have the edge over us.

At Blackburn Kenny built a Premiership winning team out of nobodies, not one player Kenny signed for Blackburn played for a top side before joining Blackburn, he can spot a player that can make a difference and for that reason I think he'll do ok in that sense.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #68: Mar 18, 2011 08:07:10 pm
      At Blackburn Kenny built a Premiership winning team out of nobodies, not one player Kenny signed for Blackburn played for a top side before joining Blackburn, he can spot a player that can make a difference and for that reason I think he'll do ok in that sense.

Suarez did not have a problem signing knowing full well the best we would do next year was Europa....I think being consistently out of Europe would be harmful and detrimental, that being said one year is not going to make the roof cave in.

Quick Reply