Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

European football next year

Read 12311 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: European football next year
      Reply #92: May 20, 2011 11:34:30 am
      Would he be able, for example, to offer a world class player a 3 year contract where the first years wage is inflated?  As a kind of "stick it out for a year and we will be up there next season" deal?

There must be quite an attractive vision he paints of the future, he got Pepe to say he's excited about it and in the process shut the press speculation up.

I don't see the need to inflate the first years wages, give them a bag full of DVD's and they'll sign just so they can score in front of the Kop and if that doesn't make them sign then they're not LFC material.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #93: May 20, 2011 10:53:12 pm
      I think the club sells its self, ask any young kid in any country in the world to name their top ten football clubs and Liverpool would be in it.

The good thing is now we appear to have good owners with a proven track record in sports projects and as such should be able to sell the Liverpool project to just about any player.

Obviously you will get players that will put European football above moving to us, but there will be plenty of great players that would sacrifice European football for a season or so to play at Anfield.

Still I'm confident we'll do Villa and Brum will do Spuds, so Europe is still very much alive to me, but I won't be concerned if we don't make it.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #94: May 20, 2011 11:59:10 pm
      The reality is the club is massive, and any player worth his salt knows if we didn't make it into Europe this year, this signifies an anomaly rather than the norm.
      I would rather have players here who want to play for Liverpool rather than play for a European title right off the bat.
      Nothing good comes easy, and nothing good comes in an instant. The fact of the matter is, this club is very much headed in the right direction and only a blind, deaf or dumb professional would be unable to see that. Frankly if any of our targets over the summer qualify on any of those counts, who needs or wants them here?
      Europe would be a bonus, and I always want us challenging on all fronts- you after all have to be in it to win it as they say.
      However not been in Europe also has its plus side as well- with us out of that competition and been able to fully concentrate on our domestic campaign, as the only big club with this 'privilege', I bet you not many would want to come up against us. Basically both sides of the coin works out for us- great if we make it, not by any means the end of the world if we don't!
      On a final note,  I think it's a credit to the work Dalglish has already done that we are even contemplating this present dilemma going into our final game of the season. Rewind to December or January of this year, and been in Europe would hardly have been a point to consider. Every day I thank God for The Return of The King! :)
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #95: May 21, 2011 12:08:17 am
      I swear I was just watching KD on LFCTV during the pre-Villa interview answer a question about bringin players in and bringing youth in and he said for quote.

"ugh a couple of points ya made yea, a couple of points don't make any difference. Development of young players, we're getting in a competition next year that will help develop young players in eroupe so.. thats not an issue"

Does he know we are going into the Europa league???
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #96: May 21, 2011 12:51:36 am
      I swear I was just watching KD on LFCTV during the pre-Villa interview answer a question about bringin players in and bringing youth in and he said for quote.

"ugh a couple of points ya made yea, a couple of points don't make any difference. Development of young players, we're getting in a competition next year that will help develop young players in eroupe so.. thats not an issue"

Does he know we are going into the Europa league???

Isn't that the new new european club cup competition aimed at youth level he's on about?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #97: May 21, 2011 12:54:41 am
      Isn't that the new new european club cup competition aimed at youth level he's on about?

Yep.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #98: May 21, 2011 01:03:00 am
      Glad you guy's know more then I do! Was begining to think I had one too many beers!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #99: May 23, 2011 09:36:17 am
      I wonder if we may once again end up with an undeserved Europa League slot - with Birmingham going down and the financial problems that brings, whether they'll qualify, or possibly Blackpool if as has been suggested they are given a slot via the Fair Play rankings?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #100: May 23, 2011 11:56:24 am
      It will be offered to Fulham if Blackpool don't want it.

In any case, with three rounds of qualification ahead, starting in June, I actually believe Liverpool would turn down the offer of an early start.  I'm sure another club has done this before.  May even have been Everton.

We didn't qualify. We didn't deserve to.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #101: May 23, 2011 01:39:56 pm
      We didn't qualify. We didn't deserve to.

Agreed, poor first half of the season and we were poor against Spurs even aside from bad decisions.

Just wondering with Birmingham going down, whether they'll still be able to play in it - or indeed if they will want to.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #102: May 23, 2011 01:45:56 pm
      Just wondering with Birmingham going down, whether they'll still be able to play in it - or indeed if they will want to.

Course they'll be able to play in it, they won the league cup and I'm sure they'll have already applied for a European licence, Millwall played in the same comp five or six years ago and they were in the championship at the time.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #103: May 23, 2011 01:50:55 pm
      Course they'll be able to play in it, they won the league cup and I'm sure they'll have already applied for a European licence, Millwall played in the same comp five or six years ago and they were in the championship at the time.

But will they want to?

I'd imagine Birmingham will have the financial clout to take part plus it is later in the season.

As for the fair play? Can't see Blackpool being overly enamoured with a June start to the four corners of Europe.  I would imagine the fair play table will be 'fixed' so that Fulham get it. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,878 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #104: May 23, 2011 01:52:15 pm
      We're not in so I'm going to take a year off European Football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #105: May 23, 2011 01:53:46 pm
      But will they want to?

I'd imagine Birmingham will have the financial clout to take part plus it is later in the season.

As for the fair play? Can't see Blackpool being overly enamoured with a June start to the four corners of Europe.  I would imagine the fair play table will be 'fixed' so that Fulham get it. 

Which is what I'm thinking, Birmingham will take part, plus I suppose it's an incentive for McCleish to keep hold of any players that would otherwise be looking for moves to clubs in the premier league.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #106: May 23, 2011 01:57:25 pm
      Problem is he has been told that a return to the Premier League is his over-riding target to keep his job.

Considering some of our fans are saying we would be better without Europa League, don't you think Birmingham might also consider it may affect their chances of promotion?
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #107: May 23, 2011 02:02:09 pm
      Exactly, especially as they'll be playing 46 games next year in the Championship. Time will tell I guess.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #108: May 23, 2011 02:02:52 pm
      Problem is he has been told that a return to the Premier League is his over-riding target to keep his job.

Considering some of our fans are saying we would be better without Europa League, don't you think Birmingham might also consider it may affect their chances of promotion?

You know me mate, I wouldn't go that far as giving a sh*t about the Brummie cu*ts. I agree though, they'll be more arsed about wanting to get promoted, but I'm sure they'll also won't knock the money they'll get for taking part.

Quick Reply