Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Gael Clichy (Arsenal)

Read 43555 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #391: Jun 30, 2011 05:16:38 pm
      SSN breaking news - Clichy close to signing for City.

Another player we missed out on. Not that bothered to be honest.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #392: Jun 30, 2011 05:56:41 pm
      Man City are starting to get on my nerves a little bit...
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #393: Jun 30, 2011 07:06:41 pm
      Another player we missed out on. Not that bothered to be honest.

I think you mean "another player we've decided not to sign" ;)
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #394: Jun 30, 2011 07:11:31 pm
      I'm gonna start a rumour on twitter that we have put a late bid in... lets see if i can get it to take off ;D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #395: Jun 30, 2011 07:12:27 pm
      According to some dubious sources, City are supposedly on the verge of signing both Clichy and Nasri.  On one hand, it kinda pisses me off.  On the other, I wouldn't mind Arsenal weakening their squad and not being able to really fight for the top 4.  Would mean less competition for us...

Also, I've been hearing more rumblings that Nasri is on his way to Manure :(  Anyone know anything about this?  That is one transfer that would piss me right off!  I'd much rather see him sent out of England than to Chelsea or United! 
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #396: Jun 30, 2011 07:21:25 pm
      According to some dubious sources, City are supposedly on the verge of signing both Clichy and Nasri.  On one hand, it kinda pisses me off.  On the other, I wouldn't mind Arsenal weakening their squad and not being able to really fight for the top 4.  Would mean less competition for us...

I agree, its good watching Arsenal get weaker and the fact Fabregas will probably go too would considerable weaken them. But it's annoying watching City and other rival clubs sign quality players while we're losing out on every player we try to sign bar Henderson

Now after losing out on many of our targets from the premier league, I hope we start to look abroad for our tagerts.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #397: Jun 30, 2011 09:22:05 pm
      City come wadeing in waving the chequebook and the players eyes start bulging out of his head with greed,F**k him then .

Nasri ???one top season in my eyes,bit over the top all this he,s the best thing since sliced bread........is he F**k.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #398: Jun 30, 2011 09:42:23 pm
      It won't be us "missing" out. The media are playing a guessing game.

Yeah and they are making us look like a bunch of cocks missing out on all our alleged targets. W*nkers
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #399: Jun 30, 2011 10:18:28 pm
      Who knows if we are really missing out as none of us know for sure if he is actually a target.  City are supposedly in for Baines too, so why would they need Clichy as well??

If we really wanted him we would have offered and Arsenal would have accepted the bid would they not.  If they accept City's bid it's either higher than ours or we were never THAT interested anyway.

I think everyone is just getting twitchy as all we have so far is Henderson, but then how many big teams have signed players so far?
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #400: Jun 30, 2011 10:38:45 pm
      If we do not get him, I for one will be very pissed off especially if it is for under 8m.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #401: Jun 30, 2011 10:43:14 pm

Clichy set for Man City switch

Published 10:57 30/06/11

Arsenal defender Gael Clichy is set to move to Manchester City, MirrorFootball understands.

The Gunners left back is expected to complete a £7m switch to Eastlands once he has passed a medical and agreed personal terms.

The news is a blow to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger who had hoped to convince the 25-year-old to stay and sign a new contract. But with just one year left on his current deal, the club were reluctant to risk losing him for nothing next summer.

Liverpool were also keen on signing the Frenchman and reportedly had a £5m bid turned down earlier this month.

The move also raises question marks over the future of Aleksander Kolarov at Eastlands. The Serbian joined the club last summer for £16m from Lazio but has failed to make the position his own.

Clichy joined the Gunners from French side Cannes in 2003 when he was just 18.

He became the first-choice left-back in 2006 when Ashley Cole moved to Chelsea.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Arsenal-defender-Gael-Clichy-set-for-Manchester-City-switch-article754141.html
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #402: Jun 30, 2011 10:46:53 pm
      So if we believe reports this is possibly another player we will miss out on over a couple of million pounds.

I'm getting the feeling we are not as interested in these players as the media would have us believe.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #403: Jun 30, 2011 10:53:05 pm
      So if we believe reports this is possibly another player we will miss out on over a couple of million pounds.

I'm getting the feeling we are not as interested in these players as the media would have us believe.

The media are only reporting about the transfer fees ... Maybe the wages we are offering are the problem ... After all, Doni went on record saying that we have offered him €20,000 per week, knowing that he was previously getting €50,000 per week at AS Roma ...
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #404: Jun 30, 2011 10:53:29 pm
      Tony Barret said on the 9th that we offered 5 million for him. Now on the 30th June City are close to signing him for 7 million. I doubt that we weren't willing to negotiate up to 7 million. Something tells me that we might have spoken to his agent and he wanted stupid wages, and maybe City came in and offered him what he wanted.

Be interesting to see who we go after now, I'd be happy with Enrique but would love someone like Cissokho.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #405: Jun 30, 2011 11:05:55 pm
      The media are only reporting about the transfer fees ... Maybe the wages we are offering are the problem ... After all, Doni went on record saying that we have offered him €20,000 per week, knowing that he was previously getting €50,000 per week at AS Roma ...

So would you pay more then 50 grand a week wages for him to sit on his arse all season?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #406: Jun 30, 2011 11:10:50 pm

Tony Barret said on the 9th that we offered 5 million for him. Now on the 30th June City are close to signing him for 7 million. I doubt that we weren't willing to negotiate up to 7 million. Something tells me that we might have spoken to his agent and he wanted stupid wages, and maybe City came in and offered him what he wanted.

Be interesting to see who we go after now, I'd be happy with Enrique but would love someone like Cissokho.

It's a fair point you both make on the wages but I'm not sure Clichy's wage demands would have been too unreasonable and considering LB is one area most of us agree needs strengthening it's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he was not as much of a target as the media would have us believe.

I'm not saying we weren't interested, just that he may not be high on the list of players in his position that we are looking to sign.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #407: Jul 01, 2011 12:28:01 am

Arsenal face exodus as Manchester City make a play for Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri

Arsenal are facing the potential loss of three first-team regulars this summer, with Manchester City confident of a £7 million deal for Gaël Clichy and now rivalling Manchester United in their interest for Samir Nasri.

By Jeremy Wilson and Rory Smith
      11:19PM BST 30 Jun 2011

Communication between Arsenal and Barcelona is also ongoing over Cesc Fabregas as the two clubs try to find a compromise on a deal worth around £37 million.

Although manager Arsène Wenger is understood to be willing to allow Fabregas and Clichy to leave at the right price, he is unlikely to sanction the departure of Nasri to another Premier League club if he has already lost Fabregas.

Sources in Italy have also confirmed the interest of AC Milan in Nasri and, while Wenger has still not given up hope of persuading the 24 year-old to sign a new contract, he would be more comfortable with one of his most prized assets moving to a club outside of England.

Nasri has entered the final year of his contract and so could potentially leave for nothing next summer. It places Arsenal in a difficult position, particularly as Manchester United are believed to be preparing an offer of £20 million. City’s interest in Nasri is likely to develop if they fail to sign Alexis Sánchez, but they have now made their move for Clichy.

The France full-back’s contract also expires next season and, with Arsenal understood to be unwilling to match his demands of a wage increase from £50,000 to around £80,000 a week, there is a clear sense that his eight years at the club are coming to an end. Manchester City hope to clinch a £7 million deal when Clichy returns to England.

Although Clichy would be the last of the ‘Invincible’ squad of 2003-4 to leave, Arsenal have Kieran Gibbs as an emerging replacement while Thomas Vermaelen has considerable experience at left-back. There have also been doubts over Clichy’s defensive contribution over the past two seasons.

Arsenal are close to confirming some signings of their own — potential deals for Gervinho, Gary Cahill and Ricardo Alvarez are understood to be the most advanced — but there is mounting concern from fans at the prospect of losing such key players.

There was also a strong reaction on Thursday from Lee Dixon, the former Arsenal right-back. “If you don’t want to wear the cannon then please leave with dignity and @@@@ off,” Dixon wrote on Twitter.

Liverpool were also interested in Clichy and had a £5 million bid turned down, but owner John Henry has reassured fans that the club will succeed in reinforcing Kenny Dalglish’s squad this summer.

Liverpool have already lost out on Phil Jones and Ashley Young to Manchester United, seen Sylvain Marveaux choose Newcastle and failed to procure the Roma goalkeeper Doni, while earlier this week the club were outbid by Sunderland for the Ipswich forward Connor Wickham.

“We are determined to build,” said Henry. “As long as we stay within the parameters Uefa has set forth under its Financial Fair Play rules, we will have flexibility.”

Liverpool remain favourites to sign both Charlie Adam, of Blackpool, and Aston Villa’s Stewart Downing, though both moves have ground to a halt in recent days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8609685/Arsenal-face-exodus-as-Manchester-City-make-a-play-for-Gael-Clichy-and-Samir-Nasri.html
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #408: Jul 01, 2011 12:54:46 am
      £80,000 no wonder
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #409: Jul 01, 2011 01:05:13 am
      As many have said before,myself included,if the like's of Clichy says he want's a move to us then get's his head turned by the shilling's of City,then let him go. Won't lose sleep over it. It's just greed that's a motivation for that type of player and that we don't need.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #410: Jul 01, 2011 01:07:34 am
      As many have said before,myself included,if the like's of Clichy says he want's a move to us then get's his head turned by the shilling's of City,then let him go. Won't lose sleep over it. It's just greed that's a motivation for that type of player and that we don't need.
      Agreed such a shame that's what th majority of players are like nowadays.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #411: Jul 01, 2011 03:18:00 am
      god damn it. we have to get rid of the deadwood eating up our wages.

hey we could be happy to pay him 80k it's just someone like jovanovic stopping us. it's definitely bad business to sign players on big wages when we already have our situation.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #412: Jul 01, 2011 04:50:03 am
      His best years are behind him , not worth that sort of money and ya's are better off without him . F**k Citeh , they have 3 left backs now i think . Ridiculous .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #413: Jul 01, 2011 05:45:32 am
      Don't City also have Wayne Bridge and Jerome Boateng?

Quick Reply