Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Liverpool 0-0 Braga (0-1 on agg) Post match emptiness

Read 60689 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Braga (0-1 on agg) Post match emptiness
      Reply #690: Mar 18, 2011 09:02:43 am
      Firstly, if KK had a fully fit squad with no cup-tied players I'm not even sure Carrol would have started ! but to give a new lad his first full 90 mins in Cup match was a mistake in my eyes, tactics had to be altered to suit Carrol and Carragher was the guy used to feed him, it didn't work so he's now getting the blame , just like he got the praise in Turkey !
      We're out now and there's f**k all we can do about it, Braga countered our tactics excellently, shouldn't they be given credit for that ?
      Kuyt's getting sh*t for the amount of offsides, but his role has changed since Torres left, he's not used to having to beat the trap, and again is a knockout match the palce try such a tactic ?

People are saying we performed better in Europe under Woy, WE DID but we played easier teams, when it gets to the knock out stages of any European Competition your playing the BEST it doesn't matter if you've never heard of them !

We're a club in transistion in every sense of the word, Owners, Debt, Manager, Players, competitions lad last but not least fans, SOME are so fickle they think a returning hero AFTER one tremendous win against the scum is gonna walk rough shod over everything in front of him with basically the same team that Woy Left him !

KK needs as much time as Rafa got and just as much patience from the fans, if it means a season or two with no European football then so be it !

Name me 1 English club who has achieved total domination of the English and European game without a manager being in charge for less than six years or having the foundations in place before he took over, we're trying to replicate the Success of the 70's and 80's (which began in '59 remember!) within six months of a take over,  FFS !

I very rarely comment on games as I'm not as tactically aware as most of you, by the time I've THOUGHT of what I want to type someones already posted it , but when it comes to being passionate I squeal like a banshee when we score and cry when we win or lose big finals and I'm 50 this year!

I'm gutted that we're out BUT I'm not blaming one person, be it a player or manager, all we can do now is deal with the rest of the season which means winning our remaining games starting this Sunday.

Good post bruvver...

Yeah our tactics wasn't the best (Bring forth the "Carra hoof") but you have to give credit to Braga's approach to the game.. Their high defensive line AND constant pressing Left us "Carra hoofing" with no other options. Because of the pressure on our midfield that sneaky through ball was never going to slip through the middle because our midfielders couldn't settle and none of our front men had pace..

They imposed their will on us and we had no plan b...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #691: Mar 18, 2011 09:05:06 am
      Understand what Dexter is saying, Well Scotia how many of their first 11 do you think would make our first 11

I do understand - what I'm looking at is bigger picture and need for more quality not simply one game. We should have enough to beat Braga but we didn't and I can't say our players looked materially better - we lack depth and options.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #692: Mar 18, 2011 09:06:00 am
      Spot on Michael.

And this also - been saying it for ages.

Look at the teams now in the last 8 of the CL and they all have wide players with pace and the ability to beat a man, we have no such players.

Agreed
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #693: Mar 18, 2011 09:07:48 am
      Utter sh*te - we are not a long ball team - yet played like one last night.

Only Carroll and Johnson put in a good shift

We need to rip this team apart in the summer.

Konchesky, Aurelio, Cole, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Maxi, Carragher, Ngog, Spearing, and Poulsen must all go.

Tragically we really missed Alonso/Aquilani type player yesterday
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #694: Mar 18, 2011 09:09:19 am
      When i seen the starting line up I thought we would beat them by 3 or 4.

But yet again, a terrible performance, terrible game, cole and maxi aren't good enough, kuyt can only play in certain games, Carroll isn't fit, lucas and raul weren't in the game, no idea why ngog and spearing where brought on - if kenny thinks we are more likely to score with them 2 on then he might as well sign susan boyle in the summer and throw her upfront.

Pathetic.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #695: Mar 18, 2011 09:13:55 am
       I'm amazed, staggered but most of all saddened that some fans are already turning on our new manager. I absolutely believe that changing the manager constantly is the short cut to disaster, and ANY manager of Liverpool deservesto be given a fair chance. Only a fool couldn't recognise that some of the football we have played already under Kenny Dalglish is the best we have played for the last two seasons at least. I can only think that those who are championing change are either on a wind up, have an agenda involving someone previously in the position, or are clueless.

As far as this "modern football" argument, there is quite a lot of nonsense being spoken on here about it at the moment. All this "in modern football you need a holding midfielder" stuff, or "in modern football you need wingers". The simple fact of the matter is "modern football" is no different from previous football, in that the players at your disposal dictate the style of play, and the way most of the teams operate is dictated by their personel and by fashion as much as it is by some new mega system.

I'm a bit older than most, but when I was a kid "modern football" dictated that you needed a sweeper. What you needed then, was someone who could snuff out attacks through his superb reading of the game, could knock a forty yard pass, and when needed could step up and score the winner as well. The system went out of fashion once people realised that Franz Beckanbauer's were a bit think on the ground, Larry Lloyd couldn't hit a barn never mind the door from forty yards, and wasn't too good at stepping up except from corners. Holding midfielders are the modern buzz, and yes if you've got a Steven Gerrard or a fat Frank weighing in with 20 goals a season, you might as well absolve them of defensive duties and have someone cover their arse. Similarly, if you've got a Xavi and an Inniesta tying teams up in knots you might as well let them get on with it and leave a bloke behind. If you haven't though (and we didn't have last night for example) you might as well tell your two midfielders to push on. It isn't imperative to have a holding midfielder, any more than it's imperative to pass it 50 times before you have a shot. If we do have success under kenny (and I don't care what the knee jerkers say, I think we will) then the trend will be towards teams having a big lad up top. "Modern football" changes with successful teams, and successful/top managers move the agenda themselves.

When the Mancs lost 40 goals a season out of Ronaldo, they changed the way they played and still had success. That's what good teams and managers do. Kenny is a top manager make no mistake about it, and we'll come again as well. Anyone can see that we have a squad that is lacking in quality, once kenny beefs it up in the Summer we will be a better team. Time for some faith, not for back-stabbing.     
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #696: Mar 18, 2011 09:15:01 am
      When I seen the starting line up I thought we would beat them by 3 or 4.

No idea why ngog and spearing where brought on - if kenny thinks we are more likely to score with them 2 on then he might as well sign susan boyle in the summer and throw her upfront.

I thought exactly the same.....except the Susan Boyle bit of course...!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #697: Mar 18, 2011 09:16:31 am
      Does Kenny not rate Pacheco
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #698: Mar 18, 2011 09:17:15 am
      I'm amazed, staggered but most of all saddened that some fans are already turning on our new manager. I can only think that those who are championing change are either on a wind up, have an agenda involving someone previously in the position, or are clueless.

Time for some faith, not for back-stabbing.     

Another good post Mick and I agree.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #699: Mar 18, 2011 09:17:40 am
      KK used to play the long ball down the channels all the time, particularly at blackburn - get the speddy winger onto it, then knock it in the box for the big lad.
      Sutton was a sack of sh*te, and only looked good because of the amount of long balls played into him for shearer to run onto.

He inherited a great team from fagan, and then bought some great players - BUT he has never rebuilt a side in the way that he needs to now.

I'd love for him to succeed, but I just can't see it happening.

Playing into channel with wingers is significantly different to last night which - I stand by - was the product of circumstances & lack of depth rather than design. You've got Clarkey & Sammy there as well and you honestly believe they went into a huddle and came up with that?

Kenny has never advocated hoof it onto the big mans head and charge - not even at Blackburn

I also think it's comical that we sit without a title in 21 years and pass judgement on Blackburn - the only team to disrupt the Manc, Arse & Chavski monopoly - just to try to defend knee-jerk comments.

Fine - you don't think Kenny is the man, I respect that. Personally I'll take my chances with him - knowing we need to improve massively.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #700: Mar 18, 2011 09:20:02 am
      I thought exactly the same.....except the Susan Boyle bit of course...!

Agreed - didn't get the changes. To be fair to Ngog he did seem to give their defenders something else to think about. Jay was anonomyous
      Zebedee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #701: Mar 18, 2011 09:20:32 am
      gutted down to the bone,lets face the music lads,we are just not up to scratch,we are totally a sh*t team! with these team,we just dont belong to play anywhere rather than mid-table football!honestly,we have to let go of these guys,i.e,ngog,maxi,cole,shelvey, and that useless defense that we call our back four must also go!these team is just bad!honestly!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #702: Mar 18, 2011 09:21:28 am
      I'm amazed, staggered but most of all saddened that some fans are already turning on our new manager. I absolutely believe that changing the manager constantly is the short cut to disaster, and ANY manager of Liverpool deservesto be given a fair chance. Only a fool couldn't recognise that some of the football we have played already under Kenny Dalglish is the best we have played for the last two seasons at least. I can only think that those who are championing change are either on a wind up, have an agenda involving someone previously in the position, or are clueless.

As far as this "modern football" argument, there is quite a lot of nonsense being spoken on here about it at the moment. All this "in modern football you need a holding midfielder" stuff, or "in modern football you need wingers". The simple fact of the matter is "modern football" is no different from previous football, in that the players at your disposal dictate the style of play, and the way most of the teams operate is dictated by their personel and by fashion as much as it is by some new mega system.

I'm a bit older than most, but when I was a kid "modern football" dictated that you needed a sweeper. What you needed then, was someone who could snuff out attacks through his superb reading of the game, could knock a forty yard pass, and when needed could step up and score the winner as well. The system went out of fashion once people realised that Franz Beckanbauer's were a bit think on the ground, Larry Lloyd couldn't hit a barn never mind the door from forty yards, and wasn't too good at stepping up except from corners. Holding midfielders are the modern buzz, and yes if you've got a Steven Gerrard or a fat Frank weighing in with 20 goals a season, you might as well absolve them of defensive duties and have someone cover their arse. Similarly, if you've got a Xavi and an Inniesta tying teams up in knots you might as well let them get on with it and leave a bloke behind. If you haven't though (and we didn't have last night for example) you might as well tell your two midfielders to push on. It isn't imperative to have a holding midfielder, any more than it's imperative to pass it 50 times before you have a shot. If we do have success under kenny (and I don't care what the knee jerkers say, I think we will) then the trend will be towards teams having a big lad up top. "Modern football" changes with successful teams, and successful/top managers move the agenda themselves.

When the Mancs lost 40 goals a season out of Ronaldo, they changed the way they played and still had success. That's what good teams and managers do. Kenny is a top manager make no mistake about it, and we'll come again as well. Anyone can see that we have a squad that is lacking in quality, once kenny beefs it up in the Summer we will be a better team. Time for some faith, not for back-stabbing.     

Quality post
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #703: Mar 18, 2011 09:24:09 am

Top post mate.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #704: Mar 18, 2011 09:24:30 am
      Dalglish is the man to take us forward

But... the mediocre squad we have with a few exceptions is all PURSLOW's fault for playing Football Manager with our squad
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #705: Mar 18, 2011 09:37:16 am
      No one is turning on the manager but at the end of the season I hope NESV make the right choice, not an emotional appointment but decide whether Kenny is the best manager out there to move the club on now.

As I said last night my heart says he is my head is not so sure. Barring the Chelsea Utd and Wolves game we have been poor in nearly every other game on the pitch and our tactics.

It wasn't just against Braga lat night we played hoof football we did the same last week when he came on, I really hope this is not a sign of things to come. The next 9 games will tell a lot and should decide Kennys future
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #706: Mar 18, 2011 09:42:28 am
      Top post corbally and I have said it myself on previous occasions.

People rave about how great the job kennys done but in all honesty we've played just as sh*te since he took over. Yes theres been a handfull of games where we have been excellent don't get me wrong, but the majority we have been dog sh*t. I got slaughtered for mentioning it though.

At the moment I honestly don't care whoose managing the side, but in the summer there needs to be massive investment if we want to get back anywhere near to the top. The squad is just sh*te.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #707: Mar 18, 2011 09:44:27 am

i've been wondering that. woulda thought pacheco fits the bill with kenny and his style. young, attacking, creative, hungry...yet he brought on ngog. not to point a finger but ngog has had many many chances to impress now and hasn't taken it.

anyway, it's a set back, i'm annoyed, but i find it utterly ridicilous that kenny's been questioned. under roy, after a few months, you could see the man wasbereft of ideas and had one style of play (and a sh1t style at that too) so we were right to start questioning him.

put aside the romanticism surrounding kenny, he's a brilliant tactician and a brilliant man manager. getting results against manc and chavs is no mean feat and he's proved he can grind out results against lower teams. so we get it wrong sometimes, that happens when you've had an average squad for a long time and a new manager is building the team. but even if you knew nothing about kenny, it's fair to say you've seen enough in the past 3 months (3 months ffs) to know there's potential for something great.

anyway, bad night for the club, concentrate on the league and look forward to summer
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #708: Mar 18, 2011 09:48:35 am
      When a team like Braga comes to Anfield and parks a bus in front there goal,even Kenny with all his abilities will struggle to get the team to have chances on goal. Added to the that lack of depth and quality in our squad it was going to be a battle.I hate games like last nights,reminds me of of certain games in PL when teams just come to defend.And when those type of games occur people get frustrated and start blaming tactics/manager/players.I think thats bollocks,you cant blame Braga for the way they played equally the lads did there best to break them down.
           Perfect example was the boy Wilson who is very inexperienced who is a CB playing as a LB and expected to get forward and provide width.I am not blaming KK,but what is obvious is we have a lot of rebuilding to do.I am glad JH was in the stands last night,it will show him what needs to be done.And i now fear the worst,no Europe next season.Let the rebuilding begin.Kenny is the man to take us forward.   IKWT    YNWA.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #709: Mar 18, 2011 09:51:26 am
      I agree with Corbally. It has to be the right footballing decision - Mourinho, Benitez or Dalglish - they all have pro's and con's - but we shall see what NESV do.

I hope Van Gaal doesnt get it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #710: Mar 18, 2011 09:52:37 am
      Agree Carroll a cold calculated decision has to be made, Kenny will always be a legend to us and we the fans have a massive attachment to him if anyone questions him it is seen as a mortal sin.

That is why on this occasion I'm happy it is not the fans making the decision. I can see why NESV and co may have been slow to give him the job on a temporary basis. They knew If he had mediocre success there would be a clamour for his appointment and would force there hand. Put it this way if we stubble along like we are at the moment winning one week and losing the following week how will people react to Kenny being moved upstairs in the Summer

What I would like to see is how we get on in the next 9 games in terms of tactics and results and then I'll give my opinion whether he is the right man for the future. But it is wrong that Kenny can't be questioned and people shouldn't be treated like traitors for questioning him and his tactics.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #711: Mar 18, 2011 09:54:24 am
      I hope Van Gaal doesnt get it.

Why's that? He seems to be exactly what NESV want.
      WoolysBack
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #712: Mar 18, 2011 09:57:32 am
      JD

Cole looks like the overweight 20 a day man that he is.  The Police should be arresting him for fraud for taking £110k a week.  I don't even want to say much more about him because fundamentally he shouldn't be playing for us and I hope that decision is corrected this summer.

What has happened to him ?   I used to rate him pretty highly pre - LFC as a busy sort of player who could make things happen.  There was a moment in the 1st half last night were the play had come down the KOP end and they had a throw in near the corner flag and I spotted him hands on knees absolutely wasted - just couldn't get enough air in - like he'd run a marathon.  That was on 34 mins !!  The play got going again and he couldn't keep up !  It was a bit like watching a Sunday leager who'd had too much ale the night before.
       I really want the man to do well for us - but he's got to get fit ; he played [was on the pitch] for 75 mins last night and if you watch him he's no stamina which is crucial to HIS game. 
       It must of been picked up by the clubs 'fitness people' - he should only be used for short spells in my opinion - last 20 mins until he gets fit. 

Quick Reply