Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Discussion: Is LFC being out of Europe next year a blessing in disguise?

Read 10314 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Discussion: Is LFC being out of Europe next year a blessing in disguise?
      Reply #46: Mar 21, 2011 04:25:06 pm
      Ok, the Europa is nowhere near the CL but if I would rather that than not be in Europe at all. The experience if of playing even the likes of Braga away for example will be excellent in the younger lads development as players.

LFC not being involved in any European compitition just isnt right for me.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #47: Mar 21, 2011 04:35:57 pm
      We aren't out of the Champions League running yet. Let's have no negative thoughts on here. We  are Liverpool.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #48: Mar 21, 2011 04:49:29 pm
      If we win the league next year I certainly wouldn't care that we weren't in Europe.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #49: Mar 21, 2011 05:23:20 pm
      I never look forward to the Europa.

We play second string teams in the group, away games end 0-0 and the atmosphere is sh*te at Anfield.

It distracts us in the league and I would rather solely concentrate on trying to get 4th next season than juggling between a competition that if we win, I would not like to brag about.

It also break sup the week long break between League matches ;)

I want Liverpool in Europe, end off. Increased revenue from gate receipts and TV money/prize money and we need that with them new transfer rules. It's not only financial reasons we should be in Europe, but small things like the UEFA coefficients for seeding.

How could you say you don't want Liverpool to be competing in a European competition, secondary or not?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Mar 21, 2011 05:41:14 pm
      We done a mini rebuild in Rafa's first season and look what happened there we won the Champions League.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Mar 21, 2011 05:52:30 pm
      All we need are the new Alonso, Garcia and er Nunez :)
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #52: Mar 21, 2011 06:06:19 pm
      Coincidently they are what we need, a central playmaker, a winger that can score goals and a full-back!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #53: Mar 21, 2011 06:41:16 pm
      I don't think our present squad is good enough or big enough for domestic football ad european football, if we suffer any injury at all then we are really struggling to field a top team . the money gained from european football is massive and we will suffer for it financially,being realistic i'd like us to win the premiership next season and qualify for the champions league in 1st place
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #54: Mar 21, 2011 08:55:41 pm
      JWH made a statement when he and Tom were last here saying they wanted to take us to the top.
      I honestly believe that they will spend what it takes to make sure we have adaquate cover to be successful.
      Then its down to KK and Commolli to make it happen.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #55: Mar 21, 2011 10:00:23 pm
      JWH made a statement when he and Tom were last here saying they wanted to take us to the top.
      I honestly believe that they will spend what it takes to make sure we have adaquate cover to be successful.
      Then its down to KK and Commolli to make it happen.
      If you look at their spending record with the Red Sox over the last 5 years and even this past off season, I have no doubt they will spend and spend wisely. And that is coming from a diehard Yankee fan, so you know they are impressing me ;)
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #56: Mar 21, 2011 10:19:17 pm
      If you look at their spending record with the Red Sox over the last 5 years and even this past off season, I have no doubt they will spend and spend wisely. And that is coming from a diehard Yankee fan, so you know they are impressing me ;)
      Does'nt matter to me if your a Yankee fan or not mate. Just nice to speak to a fellow red. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #57: Mar 21, 2011 11:02:17 pm
      Back on subject tho' , a couple of seasons ago, Martin O'neill took his Villa side to Russia to play a quarter final tie in the UEFA, and he played the kids, cause he wanted to concentrate on coming fourth in the league. (Villa were 4th at that time).
      They lost and went out of Europe, and I think ended up finishing 9th in the league, not qualifying for anything.
      The point I'm trying to make is, LFC should, if we can, always be in Europe, no matter which cup it is.
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #58: Mar 23, 2011 01:42:32 am
      If Europa league was played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays then it would give the team more time to rest and prepare for the Premier League games on the weekend, but it's not.

Too many times we have been lethargic after an exhaustive trip back from eastern europe and ill-prepared for our premier league game whether it be physically or mentally.

I partially blame Europa for our poor start at Old Trafford, our home losses to Blackpool and Wolves and our woeful but lucky win against WBA.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #59: Mar 23, 2011 03:23:54 pm
      it will be a blessing. we need time out for a year. less injuries and we will be more focused on the premier league title. with saurez and carrol not at there peak yet optomistic we could be #1 next year.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #60: Mar 23, 2011 03:42:45 pm
      Champions league or nothing,Europa is a joke all the traveling to teams you never heard of.Playing Thursdays and Sundays its a joke of a competition.It starts in June and runs all the way to may.4th is a hard call but not out of reach.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #61: Mar 23, 2011 07:24:54 pm
      Must admit I'm surprised at the amount of people shunning the EL.  Don't get wrong, I much prefer the CL (I mean who wouldn't right) but the EL still has a trophy at the end and for that reason, I'm all for it.  Any European affair is better than no European affair as far as I'm concerned.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #62: Mar 23, 2011 07:41:37 pm
      A Europa League trophy would be nice to win, but considering the amount of injuries we picked up in the matches in this season's tournament, if we are going to be challenging for a league title next season, then less matches means less players getting hurt, so no European football might not be a bad thing.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #63: Apr 04, 2011 12:36:35 pm
      4th is pretty much gone now.  typical as again, results went our way with the exception of Citeh.

I would rather us not finish in a european place if we cannot get CL football.

I hate everything about The Europa.  Thursday nights, Sunday football, teams i havent heard about....  Its a joke of a cup.  Would rather win The FA Cup than this.  You think of a european cup being the pinacle of football, The Champions League is.  Europa isnt.

I think a season without European football would be a blessing.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #64: Apr 04, 2011 12:46:01 pm
      They need to re-brand the CL and Europa. Cut the number of teams down in the CL to 32. Only the top 3 from Italy, England and Spain. Then you'd have more quality clubs in Europa (another 32?) and that title would mean a lot more.  Right now Europa is nice but it's almost as much of a bother as a privilege.

By this example, you'd have both Chelsea and Spurs in Europa next season, given today's standings. And some of the lesser clubs would be bounced out.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #65: Apr 04, 2011 01:08:46 pm
      Well, during Kenny's first spell as manager, weren't English teams banned for 5 years from European competitions after Heysel?

The Liverpool team were amazing in domestic competitions then.

Maybe history can repeat itself again.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #66: Apr 04, 2011 01:32:39 pm
      It's not a blessing in Disguise, we're the victims of circumstance due to those two prats from across the pond, we deserve to be in Europe WE ARE L.F.C. FFS !
      With the effects of dumb and dumber's tenure and then a blind old owl of a manager with 35yrs experience of wondering around in the wilderness to kick us in the nuts when we were down did we really think we could get 5th ?

The way KK's Performed wonders wiith what Woy left, he's surely in with a chance of Manager of the Year !

T.B.H. I've only just given up on finishing 1st because we can't beat united's pts haul now but thats just me been overly optimistic !

The reason for the lack of interest in the Europa League is down to the greed of EUFA simple as,If you go back to the days of the old European Cup when only the Champions from each country qualifed and the other teams Qualified for the EUFA Cup and ECWC These other two trophies we're considered as hard if not harder to win as the teams in them were on the way up in general. AND more big names we're in them as they hadn't won their Domestic Leagues.

If you compare our success in the European Cup being Champions everytime, to that of United's in the seasons they qualified as champions you'll see that United shouldn't have been in the tournament as often as they have been and the gap between us wouldn't be as big !

How many times would Chelsea, Arsenal and United have been competing in the EUFA Cup/Europa League due to finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th  !

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #67: Apr 04, 2011 01:33:37 pm
      Well, during Kenny's first spell as manager, weren't English teams banned for 5 years from European competitions after Heysel?

The Liverpool team were amazing in domestic competitions then.

Maybe history can repeat itself again.

Kenny's team first time round would of dominated domestically anyway though mate, it really was that good.

As for us being out of Europe as a blessing, no. Because it means we've failed to achieve what should be minimally expected of us. Plus European football attracts better players and more revenue.

And while it's still the biggest honour in world football to even be wanted by this club, some players will be put off that we're not in Europe - let alone the, so called, be all and end all Champions League. God it's sickening that European football means more to players than the name of the club they're playing for.

Also a football club the size of Liverpool, shouldn't need to be out of Europe just so we can achieve domestic success. We should be able to cope with the pressure of both domestic and European success.

So no, I don't see it as a blessing in disguise. I see it as a disgrace that we could end up out of Europe. And possibly a reality check of how far we've fallen. Within six years we've gone from conquering Europe to discussing the possibility of not even being in Europe.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #68: Apr 04, 2011 01:46:56 pm
      Being out of Europe will never be a blessing for our club.

As DLS has said it is sickening that players feel that Europe is more important than the team that they play for, but the fact is, there aren't too many players that feel that way anymore. Therefore it will be harder to attract the quality needed IMO.

I will never believe that being out of Europe is a blessing as that would mean that I feel we are a mediocre club and that will never, ever happen.

Quick Reply